• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

fell letter at the link
When we launched the console versions of GWENT back in 2017, our intention was to provide console players with the same level of support as their PC counterparts. However, having just launched GWENT on iOS, and with the Android version coming, the number of supported platforms would significantly increase. Looking to the future, we do not believe we can support a growing number of different versions of GWENT while improving feature parity between them.

Considering that PC and mobile are the most popular platforms among GWENT players, we have made a tough decision: to discontinue support of console versions of the game. All GWENT players on consoles will be offered an option to copy their account progress and purchases from their current platform to a GOG account, which is used by both PC and mobile versions of the game.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
That's awesome that they're providing an option to copy progress to another platform. Most companies would just expect ya to start over.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I guess that Gwent-on-Switch some folks were hoping for won't be happening. Felt like a no-brainer, too.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
From what I've seen, the game never really took off on consoles. So that might have factored into the decision as well.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
No offense, but are there still people playing Gwent? I loved the early days, and then they changed everything... it was just a different game, not at all attractive.

Oct 27, 2017
It totally is. Why would they spend resources on something that doesn't generate them profit?

They leave greed to others?

The correct move would be to offer a choice between the refund and the progress transfer. In this case, it still sucks if you are a console Gwent player, but at the very least you can get your money back.

This article should be the sister one:
As revealed via the company's Q3 financial call (transcribed by Yahoo Finance), the Witcher card game on iOS accounted for the majority of player spending, with PC accounting for 28 per cent and console bringing in the remaining four per cent.

This is the quarter with the launch of iOS, so obviously a little more skewed towards more revenue from the new platform. Still, consoles rack peanuts in the already low popularity game.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
An incredibly shit thing of them to do, I'm pretty mad about it. I still play gwent on my PS4 from time to time so getting told to shove off is very frustrating. They didn't even bother to make a macOS compatible version so my only option to play Gwent now is my iPhone, no thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
An incredibly shit thing of them to do, I'm pretty mad about it. I still play gwent on my PS4 from time to time so getting told to shove off is very frustrating. They didn't even bother to make a macOS compatible version so my only option to play Gwent now is my iPhone, no thanks.

Just be glad that you have an iPhone, most of the Europe does not :D

The game is only supported on PC and iOS as of now. (iOS port being like 5 weeks old) Android version sometime next year...

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is not acceptable.

It will never cease to amaze me that people have this kind of reaction to news like this.

They need to make money and this currently isn't making them money. They are offering ways of transferring you game to one of the other platforms to make sure you don't lose anything.

This game was always going to be better on mobile platforms and it's a good business decision from them

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
That's awesome that they're providing an option to copy progress to another platform. Most companies would just expect ya to start over.

Bollocks, games like these are meant to be cross save/cross progression, always.
That this isn't already account based with playing the same progress on all platforms is the real surprise here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that Gwent never really took off. Thronebreaker in particular was a pretty well made game with a lot of neat ideas

Nicodemic

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Did I read that correctly that eventually the game won't be playable at all on console?

I'll get my Gwent dose in the Witcher 3 then.

Dec 4, 2017
As revealed via the company's Q3 financial call (transcribed by Yahoo Finance), the Witcher card game on iOS accounted for the majority of player spending, with PC accounting for 28 per cent and console bringing in the remaining four per cent.
Huh, I spitballed the 5% number in my previous post, but it seems I was off by very little. It truly does make no sense for CDPR to pour development money into such a small slice of the userbase pie.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
They should be offering ways to merge accounts. I played on both PC and PS4, but now am stuck choosing between either continuing from where i am on PC or copying my progress on PS4 to a new GoG account and going from there. It sucks as I am attached to both accounts for different reasons.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They should be offering ways to merge accounts. I played on both PC and PS4, but now am stuck choosing between either continuing from where i am on PC or copying my progress on PS4 to a new GoG account and going from there. It sucks as I am attached to both accounts for different reasons.

Shouldn't there be cross save for this?

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it is and they can do whatever they want

Justifies everything but illegal activity.

Game is broken.
Game just banned me.
Game just added $500 instant-win card.
Game is holding an ending behind a $200 microtransaction.
Game is only playable for 5 minutes every day.

If you are only viewing this move through the lens of law/rights, then there is no point in discussing because their ToS usually allow them to modify the game and pull the plug as they wish.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Shouldn't there be cross save for this?

If I recall correctly in the past CDPR has said their hands were tied by the console platform owners not allowing it (Sony in particular). iOS version launched with shared progression with PC and Android will have it as well.

But no, players weren't able to use their console/PC accounts on the other platform, you had to create a new account to play on either one.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Obviously not ideal news. Very cool that they seem to be doing everything they can to help players transfer over to another platform, though! Hopefully most console Gwent players have an option between iOS, Anrdroid & PC. I feel like playing on an iPad would feel great and have plenty of screen size for that juicy Gwent artwork.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
The console version of card games have always had abysmal player numbers. So I'm not surprised by this.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
so is this still gonna be stuck on IOS and PC only then no console or android option that sucks

Oct 29, 2017
Cool, the less time they waste on a fucking Gwent game the better. Focus your efforts on bigger and better things

Oct 29, 2017
It totally is. Why would they spend resources on something that doesn't generate them profit?

Why do you as a consumer care about the profit motives of a company unless you're a shareholder.

It's great that they're letting people transfer to mobile, but this sort of thing highlights how much the "games as service" model and microtransactions exploit consumers. If the consumer isn't being adequately exploited then the company moves on and you can't do anything about it, you've already given them your money.

The fail rate of games as service also clearly dispels this largely parroted defense of this industry practice that games as service always are a net benefit to the consumer, rather than paying up front for a product and then being able to own it.

I don't really have a stake in this, as I didn't own the game. But it gets really exhausting watching gamers defend the profit motive of developers/publishers when by-and-large gamers are not seeing any benefit from this alternative development model (despite the propaganda that this model is better for consumers).

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It definitely sucks if you dropped money in it. The platform transfer is a good thing though.

I played some Gwent during the beta and quite a bit last year and had some fun, but it became more and more complex to the point where the time investment wouldn't be worth it for me in the long run. I enjoyed the simplicity of the game as is it in The Witcher 3.

And it just felt weird to play a card game on console. I actually mostly played through PS4 remote play on my PC at work.

One thing I'm thankful for though is the gorgeous Wticher art that I got to ogle at every time I played. I bought the Gwent artbook and an art print of the card with Geralt and Roach. The artists at CDPR are crazy talented.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
FUCKING NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

And I was just planning my returning to PS4 after two months absent :/

I knew in my inner soul that Gwent on consoles was not doing well enough...