• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with GamingBolt that this statement is pretty hard to interpret a different way, but what do you think?

GamingBolt said:
We've barely had any news on CD Projekt RED's upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 ever since it was first announced years ago, but we've had a lot more of its in the last few weeks. What we're reporting on today might be a big one though. CD Projekt Red's Piotr Nielubowicz and Adam Kiciński recently spoke at the Pareto Securities Gaming Seminar 2018 event, and they spent quite a lot of time speaking about the upcoming RPG.

While speaking about what Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be like, they showed off a few slides to give snippets of information on the game. One of the slides, which you can see above, mentioned that the game is going to be built on "current and next generation technology"- the implication, of course, being that Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be a cross-generation game that not only launches on the Xbox One and PS4, but on the next Xbox and PS5 as well.
Source: https://gamingbolt.com/is-cyberpunk-2077-also-coming-on-the-ps5-and-next-xbox#dqDqIVIf5PE3PcKK.99

In case you haven't been keeping up so far, our hints of next-gen have been:
- Tabata noted that the Final Fantasy XV team's next game is only for next-gen
- About a year ago, Avalanche (Just Cause) was hiring for a cross-gen game for current and next-gen, focusing on major technology upgrades for new systems
- Ubisoft said that they didn't think new consoles would release prior to Fall 2019, but that's as far out as they went with the statement

Last edited:

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I assume they'll be taking R*'s approach and release it on current gen first and then an year later on next gen.

I don't see the next gen verison being a huge upgrade apart from 60fps, better visuals and possibly more NPCs on screen and world detail. Like MGSV, I don't think there will be any major game design changes.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does this mean it is launching +2020 or just releasing another version on next gen? Also assuming next gen consoles are BC I wonder how will that play out.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Not too surprising. I imagine devs must be thinking about this kind of thing by now, and there will 100% be PS5/Xbox Whatever versions of Cyberpunk, whether they end up being day and date cross-gen releases or just ports/remasters.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Should surprise nobody.

Cross-plattform wont be much different than Base PS4/Xbox and PS4Pro/One X we have now. Its the natural progression.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Drop current gen consoles then.
Current gen is making money, and has a huge playerbase. It'll be dropped in 2022.

Does this mean it is launching +2020 or just releasing another version on next gen? Also assuming next gen consoles are BC I wonder how will that play out.

I always said it, PS5 is Fall 2019. It'll be nuts if this is a launch title, and even more nuts if it's a Crossplay title.

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It meants it's launching next year with the new consoles.
Probably 2019 release then 2020 "GOTY Edition" alongside launch of new consoles.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone really surprised? It definitely seems that far out when we still haven't seen shit, lol.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this was from a few weeks back. It's pretty clear that it's cross-gen and that excites me because that hopefully means the next-gen versions should perform better, although I wonder when it's actually coming out? 2019 or 2020? Since we've seen absolutely zilch, I'm guessing it's the latter.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they'll do with the PC version since by the time next gen consoles release GPU will be way ahead of what's in them.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
As a PC player this changes literally nothing for me... but I think it's probably a sensible move for CDPR.

Current Gen (PS4 + Pro XBONE + X) will have a large install base, I'd wager some will buy on current and double dip for the next gen version......

Would have thought both Sony and MS would like them to do next gen as well as it's likely to be a must have game and that being released early in the cycle is a plus for them too.

PC will release as the definitive version and they can scale down to the Next gen and Current gen systems...

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
is it really time for next gen? it relaly doesnt feel that long since ps4 and x1 came out...i mean, ps3 era lasted so long, maybe thats why this feels so short.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it will be held back tecnologically by our base ps4's and base xbox ones, hopefully its not to drastic, for example MGSV turned out fine 720p/30fps on ps3/360 and 1080p/60fps on current.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
is it really time for next gen? it relaly doesnt feel that long since ps4 and x1 came out...i mean, ps3 era lasted so long, maybe thats why this feels so short.

The earliest they could launch is 2019 and by then the generation would be 6 years old, which is the average length for a console gen.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no way Cyperpunk releases before 2020/21 which is right when the nextgen should be launching so that makes sense.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the PS3 went from 2006 to 2013, which is 7 years.

In 2019, the PS4 will be 6 years old, and in 2020, it will be 7 years old.

A lot of publishers felt that last gen went one year too long given how sales went too, so matching the PS3's lifespan or going one year earlier seem like the two most likely options on the table.

I think the trick here is to remember we're talking about a time period 18+ months from now, not how people feel right now.