• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I assume their pr staff are all based in Poland and so are out of the loop for a lot of this kind of stuff, but part of working for a globally relevant company should involve finding out what the hashtag you're using is actually about.

That seems too generous. That last sentence combined with their past behavior makes it seem like they're pretty in the loop.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
What's the #WontBeErased hashtag?
It's in response to a directive from the Trump administration to, effectively, make Trans people not exist. Basically Trump admin is pushing to rollback any and all protections for trans individuals by saying gender is determined at birth, and unchanging. It's very not good, and there have been a number of protests specifically about this since the news broke yesterday. the #WontBeErased came about through these protests

Here's the NYTimes article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/us/politics/transgender-trump-administration-sex-definition.html

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
They need to fire whoever they got running their social media. At this point whoever it is is just a liability.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, once was maybe a bad joke, but at this point it's clear to see which way GOG's flag flies (or at least the person that runs their social media channels anyway).

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I think the frustrating thing is that repeated instances of this kind of "humor" implies a level of acceptance/complicit knowledge by someone higher up the food chain.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I dont even understand their phrase/tweet tbh. 'Classic pc game wont be erased on our watch' ...?

Can someone explain? (English is not my main language) (and i'm aware of what the #wontbeerased stand for... i just dont unerstznd what they mean by classic pc games being erased..?
Part of GoGs thing is having old and obscure PC games

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
They've always done this sort of shit.

They know who their fans are, and they act accordingly.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
This has happened multiple times now. It's difficult to just keep writing it off as a simple mistake. If it's the same person handling their social media, why haven't they gotten rid of them?

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
"Look you guys, it's really hard to find a social media manager in Poland who isn't a card carrying member of the Law & Justice Party."

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes...trash tweet indeed. How the hell can you be this tone deaf? Seems intentional.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, how is this related to CDPR?
They own GOG and internally, are known as CD Projekt Blue.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-seeing-red-the-story-of-cd-projekt
Five years after launch, GOG has 2 million visitors each month, and annual turnover has only just stopped doubling. And all that money, and all the money from a successfully relaunched online distribution business, referred to as CD Projekt Blue, gets pumped back into the main event: CD Projekt Red, the game maker.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, this kinda shit doesn't just happen twice. Fix your shit CDPR and GOG. Seriously.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's the 2nd time CDPR's social media person made a transphobic joke and the third time they tweeted some dumb shit.

I expect their third apology to be as empty and insincere as the first two.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Can someone explain the tweet to me,because I guess I'm missing some backstory? What does the #Won'tBeErased mean?

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The fuck is wrong with these people? Why even comment such a thing?
They really need to be put to task for this.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's the same person employed to handle both/all CDP social media accounts. If it is, they're demonstratively tone deaf and not suitable for the role. Put them in training and a performance plan, monitor their work, and if they don't improve replace them.
No, they're different people.
(and the GOG one came here to apologize last time)

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Wait for the inevitable, "Sorry to all who were offended" tweet followed by defense force across internet screaming, "Why are you apologizing?", "Fucking SJWs are ruining gaming again" etc etc

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's the same person or a fleet of like-minded morons they've got running their twitter accounts.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fool me once, etc.

This seems to be a recurring trend with CDPR.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It's amazing how these topics always bring out people who just can't wait to announce how garbage they are.

Like you were just bursting at the seam to tell everyone that you place video games above other people and your opportunity finally presented itself.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
They make great games and gog is awesome, but holy hell they have awful PR....

How can they fuck it up so many times

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's time for a public statement of apology and a suitable act of contrition by supporting a cause working on behalf of LGBT rights. If they can't show that much decency, I'm done with CDPR.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Once might be tone deaf, twice but on widely different unrelated subjects maybe I still buy one of these excuses, but multiple times in as many months always relating to trans people, Yeah you have burnt your benefit of the soybt and no one here should be quick with the tone deaf/cultural differences excuses they dont need you to cape for them. You want to support their games fine but admit you care more about the games than the fact this company has obvious issues with transphobia, at least that would be honest, continuously defending them at this point in any other way should earn you some side eye.

As for me Fuck CDProjeckt. Their games can burn in a trash fire. And I love cyberpunk stuff so much I was still going to get this next game even after finding the last incident personally offensive, but not now.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
At worst, actively encouraging a shitty section of their fanbase. At best, utterly incapable of reading the room and absolutely tone deaf.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are some of y'all acting like this was "tone-deaf" or a mistake like they straight up know what they were doing judging by the tweet

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Probably about time people started to boycott GOG, on this site at least.

I'm not big on social media or even up to date with progressive points of view and even I can see that tweet definitely had something behind it.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
What's the #WontBeErased hashtag?

There's this utter trashfire of a human being in charge of the US, Trump, and the miserable infected wart decided to rescind an Obama-era adjustment in gender language that opened up gender as a choice. Trump is trying to get gender put back to its 1950s meaning of "the genitals you were born with".

More here, but this line should raise an eyebrow-

"For the last year, the Department of Health and Human Services has privately argued that the term "sex" was never meant to include gender identity or even homosexuality, and that the lack of clarity allowed the Obama administration to wrongfully extend civil rights protections to people who should not have them."

Repeat the last phrase- "civil rights protections to people who should not have them."

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
In the vacuum, this is easy to excuse. Poor taste, is not explicitly against anything, just disrespectful towards the gravity of the issue... but it's repeated behavior that drains those "benefit of a doubt" reserves. How hard is it to not be a shithead, jesus...

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh, I don't see how you use that on accident (didn't even know what this entailed until I visited the thread). Especially not as someone who'd be a somewhat savvy social media user. The second sentence just about confirms the intent.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Once or twice, and you can say it was a lapse of judgement or a well-meaning joke that they didn't think through. At this point though it's pretty clear that their social media is staffed by alt-right edgelord-types and management either endorses it or doesn't care.

The speed with which they deleted it gives me some hope that someone over there actually realizes this is a problem. But jesus, come on, you're a major corporation with an international audience, not a bunch of teenagers playing around in your parent's basement anymore. Take responsibility for your public presence.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
We've clearly gone beyond just being tone deaf really. You don't just accidentally send these kind of crappy messages like, what, three times now?

Status
Not open for further replies.