• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
CDPR public media folks are not smart at all, they're basically destroying slowly their image as a company... And CPDR is doing nothing to prevent this, is really stupid from their position.

Oct 26, 2017
You know, when I'm not sure how to feel about things I just waltz over to the old community for their insight and...

mtEztJg.gif

Last edited:

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Imagine being trans and a devoted member of this community, where an open transphobic company is being hyped to the moon and back because they're releasing a new toy. Shit sucks, and this behavior is not excusable whatsoever.

Delete that company asap

Koeta

Dec 12, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns regarding transphobia. Ignoring mod post. Account still in junior phase.
Are people really talking about banning them from this forum because of this? I think everyone is trying to blow this out of proportion.

They clearly were just trying to use a hashtag that was blowing up to say that GOG (known for trying to keep old games preserved in playable) wont be erased.

but now I went ahead and posted something not bashing them so I risk getting myself banned, but honestly I felt it needed to be said, stop trying to make something out of nothing.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being trans and a devoted member of this community, where an open transphobic company is being hyped to the moon and back because they're releasing a new toy. Shit sucks, and this behavior is not excusable whatsoever.

Delete that company asap

I don't have to imagine, it's what I'm living

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
IIRC aren't most video game sales entirely frontloaded? The marketing push exists to generate buzz, and marketing continues through the first couple of weeks of release in order to keep that buzz going. FOMO is immensely important in modern gaming, especially because it's one of the easiest ways of getting above the noise of constant and overwhelming game releases.
I entirely agree with what you say, I just have no numbers to corroborate how much game sales depend on forum discussions and the FOMO that ensues. I'm not even sure those could be quantified, the most talked games are usually those who sell the most yes, but it's kind of a chicken and egg situation. But yes, if I had to take a bet, I'd say that extreme case scenario "shutting down all discussion boards" would have a significant impact on game sales.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Are people really talking about banning them from this forum because of this? I think everyone is trying to blow this out of proportion.

They clearly were just trying to use a hashtag that was blowing up to say that GOG (known for trying to keep old games preserved in playable) wont be erased.

but now I went ahead and posted something not bashing them so I risk getting myself banned, but honestly I felt it needed to be said, stop trying to make something out of nothing.
The second part of the tweet makes it clear they knew exactly what hashtag they were co opting. You can't argue it was an innocent mistake.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
"We" as a progressive group of gamers are doing enough with personal boycotts. Banning the games is a useless move because people who love The Witcher or are excited about Cyberpunk likely will not know about GOG and CDPRs continued bullshit.
I'm pretty sure many users here haven't even opened this thread.
When they find out why there are no threads or discussions about their games at this forums, they will ask for the reason why they are not allowed, they will get the answer, they will know the reason why.
I'm pretty sure most of them will understand why. If they will buy their games later, some will, some others won't.
And if they begin defending bigotry, then they should be banned. They wouldn't belong to this forum.
When personal boycotts are not enough, we should respond in community. It may work or not, but doing nothing won't work at all.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That was a terrible tweet and a terrible apology. I hate GOG's recent social media approach (not only dog whistling to gamer gaters but also being unfunny all around in an attempt to look ~cute dorky~ pretending not to know how to tweet, just look their timeline), but it is a bit naive and maybe dishonest to relate it so closely to CDPR.

GOG is only owned by the same parent company, it's not like the Cyberpunk director made these tweets or the lack of action/poor apology are the devs fault. CD Projekt (not RED) and the PR firm are the ones at fault here. By the way, as far as parent companies go, Zenimax has really close ties to the Trump family (who made this hashtag needed) and I don't see people calling for a boycott on Bethesda games.

And yea, there's that gender assuming tweet from the Cyberpunk account. It was a bad tweet and not a great apology either, but it was the only instance of a problem coming from the dev team mouth and - imo - far from being as bad as the "pissing on game's journalism grave" or this one mocking a very important hashtag.

TL;DR: Bad tweet, bad apology, PR's/CDP fault, not fair to blame the dev team. Unlike Kingdom Come, who had an openly bigot director.

OP
OP
Flammable D

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017

It's not hard to not get banned

Don't be a transphobe

Also read the modpost:

"Since this news has started, the hashtag #WontBeErased has been trending on Twitter being used by transgender people who are fighting for their right to exist in the United States. There is no scenario where this can be as anything other than transphobia.

This is not a tone deaf response or accidental usage of a hashtag, but the third time they have done something like this. Posts which attempt to downplay or dismiss the transphobic nature of the tweet or play things off as simply tone deaf will be moderated appropriately."

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You see absolutely no issue with the particular hashtag they co-opted? The reasons behind it and the struggles that we're having to deal with?

Delete that company asap

It's frustrating for sure, but it's nothing new. People want their games, and they don't care about the issues surrounding them or what's affecting us most of the time. While I don't doubt that a lot of people in this thread do care, I'm still expecting the game to sell millions and for the threads here to be really active.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was a terrible tweet and a terrible apology. I hate GOG's recent social media approach (not only dog whistling to gamer gaters but also being unfunny all around in an attempt to look ~cute dorky~ pretending not to know how to tweet, just look their timeline), but it is a bit naive and maybe dishonest to relate it so closely to CDPR.

GOG is only owned by the same parent company, it's not like the Cyberpunk director made these tweets or the lack of action/poor apology are the devs fault. CD Projekt (not RED) and the PR firm are the ones at fault here. By the way, as far as parent companies go, Zenimax has really close ties to the Trump family (who made this hashtag needed) and I don't see people calling for a boycott on Bethesda games.

And yea, there's that gender assuming tweet from the Cyberpunk account. It was a bad tweet and not a great apology either, but it was the only instance of a problem coming from the dev team mouth and far from being as bad as the "pissing on game's journalism grave" or this one mocking a very important hashtag.

TL;DR: Bad tweet, bad apology, PR's/CDP, not fair to blame the dev team. Unlike Kingdom Come, who had an openly bigot director.

It is fair to blame them. They hired this dude to represent them and he represented them and he still represeents them. They're not victims, they're complicit at best and at worst perpetrators.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

i mean, you get that you're risking a ban because you're doing the exact thing - dismissing transphobia, 'stop trying to make something out of nothing' - that the mod team warned you not to do, right?

come the fuck on

Last edited:

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017

You ain't risking shit with that post count nor fooling anyone.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

You are of course not risked getting banned because you are not bashing them.
You saying this is "nothing" is maybe risking you, tho.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure many users here haven't even opened this thread.
When they find out why there are no threads or discussions about their games at this forums, they will ask for the reason why they are not allowed, they will get the answer, they will know the reason why.
I'm pretty sure most of them will understand why. If they will buy their games later, some will, some others won't.
And if they begin defending bigotry, then they should be banned. They wouldn't belong to this forum.
When personal boycotts are not enough, we should respond in community. It may work or not, but doing nothing won't work at all.

We SHOULD respond as a community in an organic manner. ERA as a website should not be responsible for our community response nor try to attempt any kind of market response.. Like I said above, games should 100% be banned if their content meets certain criteria.

Oct 26, 2017

Maybe this is being blown out of proportion if this was the first time. Or second. But this is number 3. Like....we are getting ridonkulous at this point. If they want to preserve classic games, they have about 636816481638 other ways to do so without belittling the plight of transgender community.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the GoG and CDPR tweets, there is still the fight for our civil rights going on. There's actually a really good article here if you're looking to contribute more in some way : https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...-communities_us_5bcdd8b8e4b0d38b587a824d?9g4c

You could also look into donating to www.translifeline.com or https://www.thetrevorproject.org/

We appreciate any and all help no matter what it is though! If all you can really manage right now is to avoid CDPR and CP2077, that's okay!
Thanks for the reading material. I'm not from USA so I can't vote or anything to make a difference there. I try to donate to lgbtq support groups in my country every now and then. :)
I'll donate to trevorproject once I get my salary this month. I didn't know I could donate for the cause in USA as well till now. Thanks for the links.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is it supposed to achieve exactly? And why not also then ban discussion of Square Enix' games? (Dragon Quest composer). And why should we only apply this to Gaming side? Let's ban discussion of American Football and DC. Hell, let's not talk about the USA, Russia, and Saudi Arabia at all. That'll make these problems disappear. Out of sight, out of mind.

Like seriously?

Ignoring context seems to be what people do these days. Please tell me how these situations are the same:

Company tweets multiple transphobic tweets from two of the companies they own. Doesn't offer a sincere apology.
Composer of DQ music is an absolute asshole.

The explicit vs. implicit is huge here. We're talking about a company's twitter, not an individual employee. The question is whether this is a rot inside the company itself.

Also take your slippery slope arguments somewhere else. I'm not advocating for banning discussion of CDPR because we're a gaming forum. But people should be willing to hear out people that say they're a cowardly worthless company because of these reasons. Which frankly, doesn't seem to be what people on ERA like to do.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Stay strong, trans sister. It's been hard in the thread but I've been doing what I can even though I am absolutely exhausted emotionally by all of the everything in the world right now.

There is no way that this statement wasn't approved by the higher ups. That's why it has a corporate feel to it's sliminess that is lacking elsewhere.

I just saw the statement. Fucking weak. Ongoing social debate is close to a dog whistle.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
A spineless response from GOG. No acknowledgement of the severity of the issue, no offer of solidarity with trans individuals, and not even a whiff of an apology.

I guess I'm done with GOG. I won't be buying anything else from there; I will not support transphobia.

Bigotry in 2018 is inexcusable.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
It's upsetting to see how eager they (CDP) are to burn bridges. I really hope this is only from the people in charge of their social medias and not a reflection of the whole company though I'm starting to feel like that ship has sailed.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Delete that company asap
Corporations are not individuals. Social media person needs to lose their job, and probably their boss and maybe even some Marketing higher-ups.

Blocking discussion of the work of hundreds of different people because of the actions of a handful of transphobes is insane to me.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that GOG released some kinda statement on this even if the statement isn't great. I get the feeling that their operation is much smaller than we assume and that's why they haven't gotten rid of whoever's running their GOG/Cyberpunk social accounts, who's either some kinda Gamergater a la the people running PlayAsia or truly ignorant.

I can understand why people would want to boycott them and not purchase their projects. However I am not in favor of all this talk banning discussion of their games. I believe Kingdom Come: Deliverance discussion was still allowed on here, with the OT having a careful message from the mods about how the shitty views of the director were well-known but censoring discussion would be counter-intuitive. If anything, something like that should be done.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

oh look at you with your 23 posts since december on your main account.
fuck off. people aren't making something out of nothing. this is a serious issue.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8

How can I defend transphobia in a way that makes myself look like the victim: a Koeta story.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A spineless response from GOG. No acknowledgement of the severity of the issue, no offer of solidarity with trans individuals, and not even a whiff of an apology.

I guess I'm done with GOG. I won't be buying anything else from there; I will not support transphobia.

Bigotry in 2018 is inexcusable.

The response is in some ways even worse than the original tweet. It reinforces all the assumptions you'd make while offering no apology or support and throws in some veiled language calling out to right-wing supporters at the same time.

If there was any question of the official corporate position at GOG, there is none now after that response.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is fair to blame them. They hired this dude to represent them and he represented them and he still represents them. They're not victims, they're complicit at best and at worst perpetrators.

The Cyberpunk dev team is not the GOG team. They have nothing to do with this tweet or the PR person doing tweets for GOG. The parent company is surely at fault here and maybe some of the higher ups of the GOG team (can't really know without knowing the company structure), but it's dishonest to act like this is coming directly from Cyberpunk devs.

It is undoubtedly a terrible tweet and an even worse apology, but people are acting like this means the devs are bigots just like Kingdom Come's ones are.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're a PR marketer I would sincerely emplore you to understand that there are so many things wrong with the wording of their first two ""Apologies"" so you never do what they do and if you actually ever intend to apologize sincerely you can actually do that otherwise you're likely to learn the hard way. There are ways to apologize that are both short and genuine and can fit in 260 characters or less.
At what point did I say their first two apologies were ok? I said I don't usually get picky when I see a poorly worded apology. I don't get picky because, as someone who works in marketing and PR, I know that there are a lot of people in this profession who are bad at drafting statements (at least by my standards). Just because someone is bad at drafting a statement doesn't mean the people in the company aren't sincere about the apology. It just means they have a bad PR person (in my opinion) who doesn't know how to draft a statement. I have seen this firsthand. As a result I was willing to look past CDPR's poor wording in their past apologies. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they understood their mistake and wouldn't do it again. Obviously I was wrong. This is now their third screw up in a relatively short period of time, and the second screw up involving transphobia (some people could argue all three are related to transphobia because the third fuck up I'm referencing is a post that was related to gamergate. Those people would not be wrong). Not only are you supposed to eventually learn how to apologize in a definitive manner after screwing up three times, but you're also supposed to learn how to not screw up.

Yes you can draft a statement in 260 characters, but it appears CDPR doesn't know how to. And again this is now the third time this has happened so they need to explain away more than this blunder. I am now teetering on giving advice, and I'm not about to give out free consulting so I'll stop here.

Finally, on you: I don't like your tone and how you implied I don't know what I'm talking about. I dedicated a lot of my time to learning this stuff and getting a good job. Not to be cocky, but I think I'm really good at my job. Actually, I think i'm the best. Period. I don't like how you implied I don't understand how this works. I also don't like that you put words in my mouth by implying I didn't know what was wrong with the first two apologies. You can easily tell from my post that I know they were poorly worded. That's not up for debate. I would argue that at this point it's not the wording which is the problem but rather the lack of action.

Last edited:

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Corporations are not individuals.

A bit tongue n cheek but: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

The Cyberpunk dev team is not the GOG team. They have nothing to do with this tweet or the PR person doing tweets for GOG. The parent company is surely at fault here and maybe some of the higher ups of the GOG team (can't really know without knowing the company structure), but it's dishonest to act like this is coming directly from Cyberpunk devs.

It is undoubtedly a terrible tweet and an even worse apology, but people are acting like this means the devs are bigots just like Kingdom Come's ones are.

Well as far as I know, there was only one outright public bigot as far as Kingdom Come Deliverance. A bit different from that milquetoast 'apology' from two different twitter accounts that CDPR 'owns'.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, their statement is also self contradictory.

By saying they weren't focusing on games, they are achnowledging that their tweet was intended to be about something other than video gaming. At the same time they said their tweet wasn't meant to be social commentary.

tenor.gif

At what point did I say their first two apologies were ok? I said I don't usually get picky when I see a poorly worded apology. I don't get picky because, as someone who works in marketing and PR, I know that there are a lot of people in this profession who are bad at drafting statements (at least by my standards). Just because someone is bad at drafting a statement doesn't mean the people in the company aren't sincere about the [/FONT]apology[FONT=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Segoe UI, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, Apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol]. It just means they have a bad PR person (in my opinion) who doesn't know how to draft a statement. I have seen this firsthand. As a result I was willing to look past CDPR's poor wording in their past apologies. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they understood their mistake and wouldn't do it again. Obviously I was wrong. This is now their third screw up in a relatively short period of time, and the second screw up [/FONT]specifically[FONT=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Segoe UI, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, Apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol] involving transphobia (some people could argue all three are related to [/FONT]transphobia[FONT=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Segoe UI, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, Apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol] because the third fuck up I'm referencing is a post that was related to gamergate. Those people would not be wrong). Not only are you supposed to eventually learn how to apologize in a definitive manner after screwing up three times, but you're also supposed to learn how to not screw up.

Yes you can draft a statement in 260 characters, but it appears CDPR doesn't know how to. And again this is now the third time this has happened so they need to explain away more than this blunder. I am now teetering on giving advice, and I'm not about to give out free consulting so I'll stop here.

Finally, on you: I don't like your tone and how you implied I don't know what I'm talking about. I dedicated a lot of my time to learning this stuff and getting a good job. Not to be cocky, but I think I'm really good at my job. Actually, I think i'm the best. Period. I don't like how you implied I don't understand how this works. I also don't like that you put words in my mouth by implying I didn't know what was wrong with the first two apologies. You can easily tell from my post that I know they were poorly worded. That's not up for debate.[/FONT]

Here's the thing. I get that this is your job, and that you understand that they were wrong. As a consumer, however, I personally am never going to give companies the benefit of the doubt if they issue complete non-apologies. It's 2018, that shit shouldnt fly no matter how inexperienced the person making the statement is. If they're inexperienced or careless they shouldn't have their job. I'm unwilling to be non-picky, especially when they're trying to directly apologize to someone like me, who yes, is transgender, which means it's even more important to me that people get it right.

I am unforgiving to companies and employees who are unwilling to put in genuine effort to make right a wrong. This is an ideological difference between you and I, and I apologize for implying that it was a job-based one.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
"GOG should focus on only games"

and you could have been doing that but you fucks keep letting whoever the jackass(es) is/are handling the social media accounts co-opt genuine serious social issues and make them into frivolous and trivialised jokes to shill your own commercial products at the expense of vulnerable marginalised groups. And you're still not reprimanding them or making even the token gesture to apologise for this pattern of behaviour. Your responses have the shitstain hallmarks of cowardice.

If we are taking them at face value it isn't cowardice it is gross indifference.

I don't if capitalism is killing gaming but this a clear case of how it kills brain cells.

Really think about this. Usually even bad publicity can be good because it generates attention. So if CDPR priority is to insert themselves into every trending hashtag people will notice their pattern and their shilling while annoying doesn't have to harm anyone.

But when it comes to trending topics about identity, injustice, natural disasters and so on they can't be flippant when inserting themselves into these topics because at that point you go from being annoying to directly challenging people on what is important to them and are forcing them to either accept it's ok for you as a company to trample on their spirit or to reject you. 90% of the time you will lose people who don't value what you're selling over their biggest issues.

Doing this literally loses them sales and prevent sales among everyone else who was part of the trending topic and never heard of you before.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Delete that company asap
literally everyone has said they don't agree with their views, no one is hyping them up to the moon and back.

Also how do you delete a company?

Status
Not open for further replies.