• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It was a small statement on their Twitter, not even an apology and saying they'll focus on games.

It was a crazy gross non-apology that winked at Gamergate. I'd repost, but honestly, it's not worth the effort.

They have and I think it's in the OP. It was a "lol sorry you didn't get our joke and are offended" response.
Thanks, I see it on their Twitter now.

This company is a fucking joke. It's insulting. I'm never giving them (both GOG and CDPR) another penny.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being rude and mean belittles US, not them. Frankly, the only thing that happens when we quote shit and respond with a 'fuck you, stupid' is spread the smell of it. Nothing else.
i disagree but i respect your view. i think the time for being nice to bigots and educating them is long over. it's almost 2019, if someone doesn't know what's what, it's cuz they actively don't want to know.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

So how's y'all Tuesday goin'
Maybe you should tag another mod in so you can have a break.

Thanks for staying on top of this thread.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Being rude and mean to bigots is actually morally praiseworthy and to be encouraged

And what happens when they're trolling? You're being mean to someone who specifically wants to make you act a certain way. Actual bigotry can be addressed any way you like, but I still submit that it lowers those of us that are trying to fight the good fight.

And shockingly, they did.

Exactly. So what did the responses accomplish?

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
i disagree but i respect your view. i think the time for being nice to bigots and educating them is long over. it's almost 2019, if someone doesn't know what's what, it's cuz they actively don't want to know.

Not bigots...trolls, or legitimately ignorant people. I know it's 2018, but there are still a few people, maybe not from English speaking countries, that may or may not know. That's what the benefit of the doubt is. That benefit, I'm willing to bet, can and does evaporate in about .5 seconds, but we're still better for giving it.

Bigots deserve to be addressed and handled, though I do submit that reporting them does more for the community here than quoting them and spreading their garbage.

OP
OP
Flammable D

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
And what happens when they're trolling? You're being mean to someone who specifically wants to make you act a certain way. Actual bigotry can be addressed any way you like, but I still submit that it lowers those of us that are trying to fight the good fight.

politely explaining things to people posting in bad faith has been so useful the rest of this thread

rumplestilts

May 30, 2018

Dawg, trolls are going to chalk up a "Win" regardless of how anyone responds. Literally any response (or a lack of response) will be counted as a "Win" in their circles. It doesn't matter how polite you are or how many times you say don't feed the trolls. They'll feed off of each other's bullshit, and keep on keeping on.

Telling them to fuck off doesn't hurt, and might actually help.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not bigots...trolls, or legitimately ignorant people. I know it's 2018, but there are still a few people, maybe not from English speaking countries, that may or may not know. That's what the benefit of the doubt is. That benefit, I'm willing to bet, can and does evaporate in about .5 seconds, but we're still better for giving it.

Bigots deserve to be addressed and handled, though I do submit that reporting them does more for the community here than quoting them and spreading their garbage.
yeah. maybe getting 20 replies is what they're after so it's better to not give them that, but i still haven't been able to control the part of myself that needs to cuss someone out immediately after seeing some bs like that.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
i disagree but i respect your view. i think the time for being nice to bigots and educate them is long over. it's almost 2019, if someone doesn't know what's what, it's cuz they actively don't want to know.
I think it's easy to get lost in our own personal bubble, especially in an era where social media feeds are algorithmically modified to feed us the information we're most closely interested in. I do think that there is a large middle in the US and globally that is interested in activist issues without necessarily being educated on the jargon.

That said, I think this thread, one that is clearly tied to an emotional and immediate issue, isn't the one where that type of emotional labor should be expected. But I have heard a lot of obvious questions, or even questions that mimic the rhetoric of 4chan, from people who don't necessarily realize that their perpetuating a toxic cycle. Maybe a "dumb questions" thread, just like there is one on gaming side.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I can understand the impulse to be aggressive but I think it does more harm than good to bark "fuck off", instead of trying to impart level-headed advice to someone, especially when whoever it is you're talking to hasn't actually said anything inflammatory yet.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
politely explaining things to people posting in bad faith has been so useful the rest of this thread

Engaging with them at all is useless, since that's what they want you to do, and the mods are in here with battle axes.

Dawg, trolls are going to chalk up a "Win" regardless of how anyone responds. Literally any response (or a lack of response) will be counted as a "Win" in their circles. It doesn't matter how polite you are or how many times you say don't feed the trolls. They'll feed off of each other's bullshit, and keep on keeping on.

Telling them to fuck off doesn't hurt, and might actually help.

I still submit that reporting them is the best course of action, as the response above (in this post), expresses my sentiment on the matter.

Inasmuch as a few sentences can, anyway.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
yeah. maybe getting 20 replies is what they're after so it's better to not give them that, but i still haven't been able to control the part of myself that needs to cuss someone out immediately after seeing some bs like that.

You're not wrong to want to tell them to go piss up a rope, I agree with you there.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Thanks for posting this. Given Riley's gender status, this article provides an intriguing insight into the reaction of one trans person. Personally, I thought he'd (I apologize if I am getting the pronoun wrong here, given Riley does not state whether he identifies as a trans woman or man in the article. I'd be happy to be corrected) be harsher but it was very level headed whilst being circumspect. This is one of the best bits that highlight the issues with using race/gender stereotypes for comedy:

These jokes, like many jokes about trans people, might not be intended to be hurtful; most people, I really believe, don't wake up deciding to be cruel. But jokes about trans people, like so many jokes rooted in bigoted assumptions, tend to punch down. They draw lines between people; they rank people's worth.

So on point and so eloquent.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
First, you have no proof that that person is actually behind this, or either of the other two tweets. It's an assumption. LinkedIn is not confirmation. Social media can be run by one person, but, especially on a larger scale, it is often run by a team.

Second, you're giving out personal information to someone who has not elected to give it out. Combine the two and you've created a situation that can easily lead to one person getting blamed and becoming a target for doxxing that may or may not have anything to do with the situation at hand.

The fault lies with the company and their social media team, for not training and not righting these issues the first couple of times it happened. If CDPR had made this mistake once, and then apologized and worked to correct it, I doubt emotions would be as high as they are now.

I'm not sure what are you talking about since the post was edited. Was it the Sean guy writing a pro-GG article on his website back in the day? Because that's still alarming regardless of whether he's the guy who wrote that tweet or not. Also if you're wondering about how someone got that guy's full name - it was on his public Instagram profile. He didn't link to it directly on Twitter, but did in the Twitch profile in his bio.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Told them to delete my account 5 hours ago and still haven't heard anything back. So done with them.

Throwing my vote behind deleting threads that promote GOG/CDPR on Era. We don't need to be promoting these hateful assholes here. The trans community deals with enough shit already, we don't need a company that hates us constantly being praised and accepted here.
They didn't email asking for last 4 digits to the card you used? Mine was quick, as soon as I have the numbers, I got my account deleted. Hopefully it gets sorted out for you :)

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
great, kotaku rarely disappoints when it comes to covering this kind of news that other websites are scared of.

I can understand the impulse to be aggressive but I think it does more harm than good to bark "fuck off", instead of trying to impart level-headed advice to someone, especially when whoever it is you're talking to hasn't actually said anything inflammatory yet.
i just found it hard to ignore the clear intention behind something like "i understand some of those words.." and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Woooooooow, they didn't even give a non-apology lol. Might as well had not said anything.

I haven't bought anything from GOG in a long while (only getting on for the free Shadow Warrior 2 in recent times), and think it will stay that way.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
dunno i quite enjoy telling shitheads to fuck off personally

It feels good no doubt, but it's like junk food. We keep on eating it, we know what's going to happen, and we know we're probably better off not engaging.

But again, that's around probable trolls. Someone comes in here and starts dropping overt or subtle words or phrases...report them AND flip them off. That post, in particular, just came off as willfully stupid (IMO). They probably enjoyed getting that response from you, and in that case, I land in the 'don't give 'em what they want' column.

Most of the time.

Also, I think I responded to you before you made an edit to one of your earlier posts, and you're right. Seems to me that poster has a history of farting in a small enclosed space, on purpose.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I understand some of these words...

I saw you caught a temporary ban for this, but just in case you're reading and actually don't understand, I had started writing this as soon as I saw your post:

You're going to get a lot of frustrated people responding to this as an insult, and I do understand why they would read it that way. That's how I read it. Intentional or not, you're responding in a topic about a group constantly told that who they are, their choices, interests, and loves aren't valid; that they're just made up and that it's some sort of illness. Reacting to someone opening up about those terms the way you did looks a whole lot like more of that same disrespect. You're making that memey quip in the context of changes to civil rights laws in the US so that a whole group of people are losing protections that every other class of person has, straight down to DNA testing to tell them who they are.

That said, I know the meme you used can be more about the person saying itsimply not knowing something (like an everyman not knowing what an engineer is talking about), so I can at least see a more playful way you might have been meaning it. That being said, it's someone opening up about themselves, so you went in on VERY touchy grounds.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's easy to get lost in our own personal bubble, especially in an era where social media feeds are algorithmically modified to feed us the information we're most closely interested in. I do think that there is a large middle in the US and globally that is interested in activist issues without necessarily being educated on the jargon.

That said, I think this thread, one that is clearly tied to an emotional and immediate issue, isn't the one where that type of emotional labor should be expected. But I have heard a lot of obvious questions, or even questions that mimic the rhetoric of 4chan, from people who don't necessarily realize that their perpetuating a toxic cycle. Maybe a "dumb questions" thread, just like there is one on gaming side.

If you have "dumb" questions about trans people, you can always feel free to ask it here as well : https://www.resetera.com/threads/transgender-101.25656/

Honestly, this thread has over 3000 posts in it, and having people come in and make light of what's going on at this point just gets exhausting. People only have so much patience especially when the thread topic itself is already as frustrating as it is.

Christine

Oct 25, 2017
Gone

It really doesn't matter what their intent is, the important thing is to make sure those sorts of comments are met with forceful disrespect and contempt

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
It really doesn't matter what their intent is, the important thing is to make sure those sorts of comments are met with forceful disrespect and contempt

Disrespect and contempt are what the other side wants to prevail, though. They're continuing to get reactions from us, not responses. They're getting attention from us, and attention in that form accomplishes nothing.

Legitimate bigots DO deserve a response, but I'll refer to a comment I made earlier to communicate that.

Christine

Oct 25, 2017
Gone
Disrespect and contempt are what the other side wants to prevail, though. They're continuing to get reactions from us, not responses. They're getting attention from us, and attention in that form accomplishes nothing.

Legitimate bigots DO deserve a response, but I'll refer to a comment I made earlier to communicate that.

I really don't care what they want. I want other people watching to see a broad response telling them to "fuck off" and to model that behavior

Benditormenta

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I think highly of people who tell those who would try to negate someone's existence to fuck off. I think less highly of people who stand idly by and say nothing or dismiss it.

Call me a mad person, but I just see someone saying, literally: "I understand some of these words..."

I don't have the superpower to see in that comment something like: "I want the trans to disappear from existence".

But hey, maybe I'm obtuse. Or probably you have an extraordinary imagination or a tendency to exaggerate things.

Status
Not open for further replies.