• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Submitted my account deletion request.

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?form=account
DqMzFObWkAAqRyd.jpg

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
While it was an insensitive tweet let's not forget that the real villains here are Donald trump and everyone who supports him.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
While it was an insensitive tweet let's not forget that the real villains here are Donald trump and everyone who supports him.

Nah. Trump and "that" selection of his supports are obviously part of the issue, but the villains are the ones enforcing and acting out these actions as well.

There's no single one "bad person", and CDPR is Polish too, so that doesn't really apply.

Basically, transphobes can just go fuck right off :V

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
They're either bigots, or they're okay with being represented by bigots. PR people are, by definition, the public face of a company. If you can't take their statements and actions as representative of the company as a whole, then what the fuck can you take as such?

I love The Witcher 3, very very much, and Cyberpunk was one of my most anticipated games, but this shit is just fucking ridiculous at this point. They keep fucking up, they keep failing to make up for it in any meaningful sense, and people keep giving them a pass.

Look, there's no ethical consumption under capitalism, and we all have to make compromises in who we buy things from, and who we work for--and, heck, I honestly don't think there's a single piece of entertainment, or art, out there that's entirely unproblematic. But CDPR are just trash at this point, seriously. It's clear who they want to target with shit like this, the kinds of people they want to appeal to, and it's just as clear that there's no meaningful opposition within the company to that 'strategy'. Fuck them.

Yeah, I know the PR is the face of the company, but I blame it more on CDP (the parent company) than CDPR. It might be a bit of wishful thinking on my part? Yeah, maybe. But I really don't think they represent the people working on the game.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I know the PR is the face of the company, but I blame it more on CDP (the parent company) than CDPR. It might be a bit of wishful thinking on my part? Yeah, maybe. But I really don't think they represent the people working on the game.
You might have had a point if the official Cyberpunk 2077 account didnt make a tasteless "Did you just assume my gender" joke.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Same. They then asked for confirmation through email, asking to verify my birthday. Should be done fairly soon.

Also, does this count as irony (their disregard for #WontBeErased leading to deleted accounts) or am I misusing the word again?

i asked cd projekt and they said it's actually a pun

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I like you CDPR, but you really need to fire those dumbasses who handle your social media accounts, make public announcement and properly apologise, seriously.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If that's the best response PR team could think of, I guess I don't respect this company any more.

I can see why they would want to bring out a non-political statement asap. This is one. As bland an apology as they go. Doesn't read heartfelt in any way though.

I typed out something, to say that this might have been a tweet out of ignorance and not knowing any better, but then I was reminded of the other two tweets. Combined, they are not a good look. Not sure I could defend them based on not assuming the worst any more. 2 times might just be really unlucky timing combined with ignorance or bad luck (the picture) but three times in this short timespan paints a picture about your social media staff and by extension you as a company that is not pretty.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Posting personal information, ignoring mod post.
Looks like the social media manager for GOG has a history

Mod Edit: Content removed

Aka a huge bigot and fascist aka gamergater

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sent a cancellation request as well. Told them not to try to repeat the non-apology and also laid out ways they can remedy their behaviour (Donating to pro-trans groups in their home country, sincerely apologizing and also firing their PR guy)

tbyte64

Dec 30, 2017
I "love" how all of this was blamed on Eastern Europe's culture ITT. Smh

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Games aren't apolitical. PR isn't apolitical. Marketing isn't apolitical. GOG has taken plenty of political stances. Hell, the whole site is based on a political ideology about the ownership of digital purchases. The whole "let's leave politics out of the door" is a coward's response. We need to fight against all the hateful, violent rhetoric that is getting more and more pervasive throughout society, not feed into it and not be silent at the face of it.

Rhetoric based social media fights change what? I genuinely want to know because I've lost all my enthusiasm for that kind of activism.

If modern day global tyranny is run by a handful of elites through American corporations, American military, American intelligence, and various American global financial instruments of power; and since the tyranny allows this discourse on their official channels, it must mean that it doesn't threaten their privilege or power.
Paraphrasing MLK, the privileged will never give up their power willingly, and since people acting in groups are far more immoral than individuals; I cannot see a change in power structures being caused by tweeting @corporatemediaperson.

What I have seen is that when any organization of individual actually does threaten power, they get killed or jailed or isolated, usually with a character assassination as well if they are famous.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If they don't represent CDPR, when are they going to speak up and say something about these multiple instances? Surely the people working on the game shouldn't feel afraid of retaliation for saying they support the Transgender community and denounce Transphobia.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at their post and their non-apology response, it really does look like some over over there looks at what hashtags are trending, says "ooh this one sounds neat and we can make a pun on it," and then makes a post to promote their business, all without clicking on the hashtag to see what it is or what it represents.

It's not malicious in any way and I believe them when they say they didn't mean to offend anyone, but you would think that someone working in their SOCIAL MEDIA department would understand in 2018 what hashtags are used for and how they serve as a vehicle to bring awareness to an idea or issue. It's just utterly ignorant.

I ain't mad at them, just very disappointed, especially since they are repeat offenders in this arena.
I doubt we can give them the benefit of the doubt for ignorance when this is their third time doing so.

People were making the same arguments for the second tweet; "Oh but they might not know what that meme means and how it could offend someone"
Yeah right.

At this point it is malicious. There is no way in hell they used this hashtag without knowing the context behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.