• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Before the tragic loss of beloved actor Rutger Hauer on July 19th, 2019; CD Projekt Red put a tribute to his character Roy Batty from the movie "Blade Runner" in Cyberpunk 2077 - the Night City Metro Map from the E3 2018 trailer has his Replicant Nexus 6 model number on it:
untitled-0ed9d.jpg

1452191496-roy-batty.jpg

CDPR is all class🤘🏻

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
All those moments... will never be gone.
Very true.

I'm sad that he's gone, but he gave us so much to remember him by. Blade Runner is by far my favorite movie of all time and his speech at the end is always so incredible and deeply moving to hear.

It makes my soul sway.

From now on when he says "Time to die", it's going to hit me in the feels a lot harder now, given that he has stepped off this mortal coil :(

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Very true.

I'm sad that he's gone, but he gave us so much to remember him by. Blade Runner is by far my favorite movie of all time and his speech at the end is always so incredible and deeply moving to hear.

It makes my soul sway.

From now on when he says "Time to die", it's going to hit me in the feels a lot harder now, given that he has stepped off this mortal coil :(

You must play Observer_ because is a fantastic game and Rutger Hauer is Daniel Lazarski

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
This is such a nice tribute. RIP Rutger. Blade Runner and 2049, some of the best movies ever made. His speech at the end was one of the best in movie history.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Very true.

It makes my soul sway.

Gonna have to pop the old Blade Runner blu-ray in tonight in remembrance.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
You must play Observer_ because is a fantastic game and Rutger Hauer is Daniel Lazarski
I gotta play that game!
This is such a nice tribute. RIP Rutger. Blade Runner and 2049, some of the best movies ever made. His speech at the end was one of the best in movie history.
It's my favorite monologue in any movie, ever.
Pour a Guinness out for a legend. RIP
My friends and I are going to watch "Blade Runner", "Flesh and Blood" and "Ladyhawke" tonight - many a drink will be had and a heartfelt toast to Rutger Hauer will be made.
Gonna have to pop the old Blade Runner blu-ray in tonight in remembrance.
Do it.
One of the best scenes in cinema history was ad-libbed???

Edit: Shit, turns out you're right. Amazing
Yup.

It's hard to imagine what that monologue would have been like without such a perfect end-line.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
He didn't ad-lib it, he edited the script the night before. Ad-lib generally refers to spontaneous/zero preparation beforehand.

Amazing easter egg CDPR

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine watching Blade Runner with someone other than Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty. Now we get to the final scene:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

The line is convoluted, nerdy and a little corny, and is generally wtf. No one could have mastered it. Rutger Hauer's delivery is absolutely magnificent and impeccable. He makes it not only work, but makes it one of the most legendary lines in cinema.

RIP, Roy Batty.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely awesome of CDPR, and honestly I had no idea that Rutger had passed away. That's truly heart breaking. For those of you who wanna see/hear some more of his great work, please pick up The Observer as he plays the protagonist in that absolutely beautifully. It's a wonderful cyberpunk horror game that you owe it to yourself to play.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
He didn't ad-lib it, he edited the script the night before. Ad-lib generally refers to spontaneous/zero preparation beforehand.

Amazing easter egg CDPR
It depends on your personal definition of an ad-lib.

The technical definition is just adding something to a scene spontaneously/on the spot that wasn't included in the script; usually to the surprise of the director and screenwriter. Director Ridley Scott and screenwriters Hampton Fancher and David Peoples had no idea before they shot that scene that he was going to change the ending of that soliloquy, due to him rewriting it in secret; so it is both a rewrite and an ad-lib.

Either way, it kicks ass and is often cited as one of the greatest monologues in cinema history.
Imagine watching Blade Runner with someone other than Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty. Now we get to the final scene:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

The line is convoluted, nerdy and a little corny, and is generally wtf. No one could have mastered it. Rutger Hauer's delivery is absolutely magnificent and impeccable. He makes it not only work, but makes it one of the most legendary lines in cinema.

RIP, Roy Batty.
It truly is a legendary monologue. I don't think anyone in the entire historical pantheon of acting - even Harrison Ford himself, could have given those lines such majesty, poetry and empathy as Rutger Hauer did.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
It has come to my attention I either haven't seen The Observer or it might have slipped my mind because it has been ages.
I do remember there was a movie where these Teachers were all androids and suddenly they began chopping up their studentrs. Holy shit that was a tense movie. I was pretty young back then. EDIT: Observer is a damn game lol!

I'll check out The Observer. Also does anyone know what movie I am referring to?

Last edited:

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
It has come to my attention I either haven't seen The Observer or it might have slipped my mind because it has been ages.
I do remember there was a movie where these Teachers were all androids and suddenly they began chopping up their studentrs. Holy shit that was a tense movie. I was pretty young back then. EDIT: Observer is a damn game lol!

I'll check out The Observer. Also does anyone know what movie I am referring to?

Class of 1990 maybe?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely awesome of CDPR, and honestly I had no idea that Rutger had passed away. That's truly heart breaking. For those of you who wanna see/hear some more of his great work, please pick up The Observer as he plays the protagonist in that absolutely beautifully. It's a wonderful cyberpunk horror game that you owe it to yourself to play.
Yeah - I think it's on Game Pass too? Either way, it's well worth picking up.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
might need to click through for the video to play, but --

and a comparison of the script to the final scene --

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I do remember there was a movie where these Teachers were all androids and suddenly they began chopping up their studentrs. Holy shit that was a tense movie. I was pretty young back then.

That sounds like "Class Of 1999" - a cheesy, but still classic horror flick.

As for that Twitter status you posted, I put the topic of this thread as a reply in there to let CD Projekt Red know how just much something like that means to us :)
I love CDPR for this.
Same here.

What got me in the feels the most is that they did this *before* Rutger Hauer passed away. Just imagine what they've got in mind as a posthumous tribute, now that this recent tragedy has occurred.

I'm sure that there will be a lot of Blade Runner homages in Cyberpunk 2077 - but they'll also probably do something very loving and heartfelt for Rutger Hauer in the retail game; aside from the homage in the E3 2018 trailer :)

Jun 26, 2018
Rest in piece to Rutger Hauer, I loved him in Blade Runner, he will be missed.

Though let's not give CDPR undue credit for what is just an Easter egg. It would be nice if they did an actual tribute in the final game.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's beyond awesome🤘🏻

He will be deeply missed, but his iconic, ad-libbed speech at the end of Blade Runner will live on forever. It's far more moving now because of his passing, however😢

It's scary to think that we are roughly 4 months to November 2019, the date in which the original Blade Runner takes place.

Rest In Peace, dude. Hope you are able to see C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. :(

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Class of 1990 maybe?
Yes that's it. Thanks for this. Silly me but Rutger Hauer doesn't star in the flick though. I must have mixed things up when I was young.

That sounds like "Class Of 1999" - a cheesy, but still classic horror flick.

As for that Twitter status you posted, I put the topic of this thread as a reply in there to let CD Projekt Red know how just much something like that means to us :)

Same here.

What got me in the feels the most is that they did this *before* Rutger Hauer passed away. Just imagine what they've got in mind as a posthumous tribute, now that this recent tragedy has occurred.

I'm sure that there will be a lot of Blade Runner homages in Cyberpunk 2077 - but they'll also probably do something very loving and heartfelt for Rutger Hauer in the retail game; aside from the homage in the E3 2018 trailer :)

They just have to implement some tribute. I am honestly anxious to see what they will come up with!

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
So sad RIP. 😢 His work will live on forever.

CDPR are legends!
Yes they are🤘🏻
Rest in piece to Rutger Hauer, I loved him in Blade Runner, he will be missed.

Though let's not give CDPR undue credit for what is just an Easter egg. It would be nice if they did an actual tribute in the final game.
At least it's there :)

I can't think of any other game developer that's put a tribute/Easter Egg dedicated to Rutger Hauer in their game in a long time. I'm sure that they'll do something in the retail game as well.
... yup, I'm buying Observer tonight.
What us know what you think of it after you play it!
It's scary to think that we are roughly 4 months to November 2019, the date in which the original Blade Runner takes place.

Rest In Peace, dude. Hope you are able to see C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. :(
I'm sure he's seeing things we people wouldn't believe🤘🏻
They just have to implement some tribute. I am honestly anxious to see what they will come up with!
Same here! I'm hyped for all the Blade Runner Easter eggs that they are no doubt going to put into Cyberpunk 2077!!