• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Saw a lot of talk about this coming out of E3. Of course, it doesn't rule out a cross gen release.

Cyberpunk 2077 impressed with its trailer and gameplay presentation at this E3, so much so people questioned if the game is coming to current-gen consoles. We had an interview with quest designer Patrick Mills today and broached the topic, directly asking if it might not come to this console generation.

"I've heard a number of people say that," Mills said. "The current console generation is what we're aiming for. We are aiming for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and of course PC as well."
https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-201...erpunk-2077-is-targeting-current-gen-consoles

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really matter to me one way or the other. I'm probably gonna end up getting a PS5 on day 1 just because.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They struggled quite a bit to make Witcher 3 run smoothly and be optimized as well as it did for the ps4 and the xbox one. This game looks even better than that. What sort of black magic will they use to make it work?

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
this worries me more than anything about the game. I hope they don't hold back their vision to fit the game on current consoles.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for me to picture this running on a base Xbone given the trailer and everything that's been talked about, even at 900p. We'll see.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
This is totally a next gen game in disguise. I bet it will be a simple patch for ps5.

BigBlock

Jun 5, 2018
this worries me more than anything about the game. I hope they don't hold back their vision to fit the game on current consoles.
I don't think We should worry. They are likely going to have it ready for the PS4 Pro-Xbox One X and PC on relatively high settings but with room to improve. I think that is also going to be the thing with Halo Infinite.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Let it be known I would very gladly buy a new console to play this game in its best possible form.

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
It is likely a cross-gen game, they just don't want to admit it yet. By the time the game releases, next gen will be here. You will want a PS5 or Xbox Two to play it for the full experience.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to playing this (hopefully sometime next year). Also, that cinematic trailer was so masterfully done.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People need to start adjusting their expectations for how these games are delivered. You really have to start thinking of consoles like PC's. The next consoles will either be X86 again or X64. Which means that they can effectively tune it up for the higher end system. Especially since they'll likely already have done it for the PC version. At worst you'll get a higher framerate option with the new console release.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They struggled quite a bit to make Witcher 3 run smoothly and be optimized as well as it did for the ps4 and the xbox one. This game looks even better than that. What sort of black magic will they use to make it work?
The blurry textures, heavy pop-in and shadow draw-in, runs at 20fps~, renders at sub-1080p kind of black magic.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
It´s gonna release on current gen.

But the version you´re going to want to play will be the next gen and pc version.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be super interesting to see what will happen with what they might know about next-gen systems.

For example, if both Sony and MS are trying to make consoles with full BC, will those next-gen consoles just use the same game and have next-gen patches?

Or what if only one of them is going that route?

I feel like there's a good chance that next-gen is going to get weird, and if not, then I'm certain that the generation after that will not be like what we're used to at all.

Dijital_Majik

Oct 27, 2017
I would be shocked if this wasn't at least cross-gen. Too much money to be left on the table. CDPR will definitely have learnt how to push the current-gen with all the work put into Witcher 3 updates.

Most of the trailer looked amazing/high-end PC, but there were a few bits here and there that definitely looked current-gen console.

For example this short scene at 0.26:

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Would this explain why they chose FPP? Not a troll a genuine question.

Think about it Just cause 3, Witcher 3 and a few other TPP games to an extent cause lots of frame rate issues/tearing etc to current gen consoles, I think TPP is something special but also very complicated. Now add in all the enviroments and flying cars etc we are hearing about, I think if it was TPP it would never run on a PS4/Xbox.

Am still upset on this one sigh, and rather have waited and got a TPP Openworld Cyberpunk game in 2021 for my next gen.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
People need to start adjusting their expectations for how these games are delivered. You really have to start thinking of consoles like PC's. The next consoles will either be X86 again or X64. Which means that they can effectively tune it up for the higher end system. Especially since they'll likely already have done it for the PC version. At worst you'll get a higher framerate option with the new console release.
Getting 60fps locked on next gen is enough for a cross gen release. Open worlds are going to be the genre where next gen will really shine.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's a likely candidate for cross-gen, but yeah, they started near the beginning of this gen and will release around the end of it.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Don't hold your breath. This game will probably look like the Lego Movie version of Cyberpunk 2077 on the OG XBONE

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They should release it on the pro and X, not the vanilla systems, especially if it ends up dropping around the time Scarlett and PS5 drops.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame. I would like to pick this up as a launch day release for the next Xbox. Oh well, it will look amazing on my 1x!

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I hope I eat crow but I feel that shit is going to chug along at 20 something fps and have all kinds of toned down visuals. Nah I'm thinking cross gen, lower res and compromises on base ps4+xbox. Showcase the new consoles and such. Buying a new processor, mobo and ram when this hits!

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Gonna build my next pc for this game mainly. don't think my 2600k will cut it.

I'd say they are probably going to end up with it being cross gen, much like GTA V/TLOU 2, which actually could be quite a boon for them in terms of sales. Release it on the older systems (xbox/ps4) which will have a majority of the console market, and then have a version that's souped up for the ps5/next Xbox ready to go, and of course pc that gets the high end out of the box.

I just hope that they will give us high end graphical options out of the gate and don't tone things down for consoles when the pc version "could" be allowed them, like with TW3 and some graphical effects that were changed/off in release.