• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
Am I the only one who thinks this is a good thing? I think it'll add to the immersion factor. The only downside I see is the customization being somewhat irrelevant.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
that sucks, it's dumb that this game has a cool character creation system but they don't use it well. I wish this game was 3rd person or at lest like Deus ex where all actions like cover and kills are in 3rd person. They already look really similar so take that as well

Oct 25, 2017
I find going out into a third-person view for cutscenes in an otherwise first-person game to be pretty annoying, so this is good news.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I was among those that thought people were being silly for being completely putt off by the first person gameplay, but this seems kind of weird. No third person at ALL, not even in the cutscenes? Why even have a customizable character at that point?

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's pretty lame for me. As others said, seeing my character in mirrors and driving doesn't feel immersive as having actual cut scenes of my character with the clothes/accessories I chose. Now it feels pretty pointless in my personal opinion.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
and the immersion argument is moot if you can jump out of FPP to Third for vehicles and bikes.
3rd person vehicles are a crutch to deal with the limitations of small FoV afforded to 16:9 screens.

Notably I can do first person vehicles just fine in VR or 21:9 screens.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
They've wasted a lot of time creating the different clothing and customisation options if you are hardly ever going to see them during the game now.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Not a fan. For cutscenes, third person gives you a cinematic feels and you can see your character's customization.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You can customize your character to look like anything you want!!"

"You can't see your character"

peter-molyneux-lies-comic.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Yeesh, fist person camera really constrains the cinematographical potential of cutscenes. Not something I'll be skipping the game over but absolutely not the call I'd have made.

(Also, I hate the "first person is always more immersive than third" thinking with a passion. It comes out of people with only the most superficial understanding of how immersion is established and broken, something that has very, very little to do with whether the camera is first or third person)

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Same for me. Makes all this talk of them expanding the character creator rather pointless if you can't see your character for 99% of the game, and the immersion argument is moot if you can jump out of FPP to Third for vehicles and bikes.

Add it to the pile I guess that'll likely get bigger if they're intent on hitting April 2020.
I honestly expect them add some kind of third person option (even if it is just for limited parts of the game) down the line with the expansions if the game becomes a huge success.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you have a cool character creator and then you basically never see your character again?

I imagine there's gonna be a third person mode later down the line with all these complaints, so I'm not gonna day 1 this and just wait for that.

I get motion sickness from first person anyways, should have just given the player a choice.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Hope it's not true. What's the point in creating a char then? I like to see my character I created. I have no problems with gameplay being first person.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Honestly just seems like it's such a massive game they realized the game would never get finished in time if they had to animate for every character model they created or maybe just caused too many bugs for them to fix but they'll go with the it's more immersive standpoint which is fair enough, maybe somebody in the design team just wanted it that way and one of the directors agreed? Oh well. Sucks, was hoping for Mass Effect style cutscenes where you get to see your created character. Never mind.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good call to make this into a thread after all.

A LOT of people seem to have trouble coming to terms with the fact that they're buying a first person shooter RPG. That said, shame because the direction of the cutscenes, dialogue aside, looked good with some really neat cinematography, pacing, and details like V's eyes lighting up when she answered a phone call. Along with some good transitions to first person.
TrDhhb6.gif

was looking forward to seeing more of that in the final game.
Yeah, I think it's really unfortunate if all of that is gone. I also think this sequence of V waking up wouldn't look as good in first person. Like when a character in a first person drinks something it often looks more weird than immersive

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid as hell considering the character customization.

Should have made FPV in cutscenes optional. Those that want extra immersion can turn it on.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And here I was worried I would get to look at my character this game. I was upper lukewarm on this to begin with, and now they seem very determined to do their best to drive me down to disinterested. It's the character's story not mine, so there is nothing convincing or immersive about first-person perspective.

I thought this game had character customization? What's the fucking point of that if we don't actually look at them anywhere but in the car?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Does seem odd to spend so much time on a character creator for an aspect you'll see only when in a vehicle or at the memu.

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well have just given us a pre-assigned character looks for each background. Character appearance customization feels really silly now that the game is strictly first person except for bike rides.

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Excellent news.

Few things have been more tedious over the past couple of years than internet crybabies constantly whinging about the lack of third person in this game, so anything that pisses them off further is fine by me.

Good job CDPR.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
You can still see the character in the menu right? Kinda like a character sheet.

I'm all for it to be honest. Most of everything is 3rd person these days. This is giving me System Shock or Thief vibes. Immersive sims like that are the best.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I can't help but think this is due to development time restrictions rather than being an artistic/creative decision.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine there's gonna be a third person mode later down the line with all these complaints, so I'm not gonna day 1 this and just wait for that.
The people unrealistically complaining about the lack of third person are a very very very small minority. Not every developer has rockstar money and time.

I can't help but think this is due to development time restrictions rather than being an artistic/creative decision.
People realize that there are still cutscenes right? Like this is still an open world RPG with fully animated cutscenes.
639kjd1.gif

I imagine like the camera in god of war it was an artistic choice they made midway through development so that we never leave the perspective of the character, and not a result of dev time.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
So if you can't ever see who you're playing as then why is there character customisation?

I'll laugh my ass off if this is one of those fist-person perspective games that doesn't have a single mirror in its world.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the point of creating my own character then? Why add all the features of what your character looks like if you can't see them in the cutscenes? Sounds like a dumb move if true. I'm less enthusiastic about the game now.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Am I the only one who thinks this is a good thing? I think it'll add to the immersion factor. The only downside I see is the customization being somewhat irrelevant.
I think many people would be cool with it if they didn't say we could have a bunch of customization and if we didn't already see great looking 3rd person cutscenes. This is turning into one of those games that shouldn't have been shown into near release

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well after this news I sure as hell won't be spending any time creating a character at all, will just hit auto on everything and select a voice and that's it. No point in wasting time on creating a character then.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Eh. Kinda sad to say, but I'm far less hyped for this than any of their Witcher releases. Hopefully I will be surprised at release.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Excellent news.

Few things have been more tedious over the past couple of years than internet crybabies constantly whinging about the lack of third person in this game, so anything that pisses them off further is fine by me.

Good job CDPR.

This is the rational, mature, classy response I've come to expect on this forum.

/s

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a strong preference either way, but I like this. I can't name many other big cinematic RPGs keeping all the cutscenes strictly in first person. I enjoy the idea of them going with a consistent POV the entire time, and I look forward to all the neat stuff this will actually allow on their part. As far as roleplaying goes, I definitely do find this more immersive.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
That's a bummer :( What's the point of making your character customizable in any way if the only time you ever see them are in menus?

I'm glad V at least has a personality and speaks, but I'm really sad that we'll only ever get to see our V in menus when equipping gear or whatever. I mentioned this in the silent/mute protag thread, but I never really feel like the character in a game I'm playing is "me", and being forced to play in first person doesn't (for me anyway) offer any additional sense of "immersion" into the world.

Ah well. Hope the game itself is still good despite that. It's definitely not a dealbreaker in any way for me, but a definite bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.