• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

thanks to Mazzle for the grabs:
x0T7dNS.png

BoJrwka.png

credit to Toumari for grabbing these:
Screenshot_2020-10-14_at_15.37.51.png

Screenshot_2020-10-14_at_15.38.01.png

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Here what the same dev said about the compensations and polish labot laws, from that other thread:
www.resetera.com

GameInformer claims Cyberpunk 2077 crunch story was blown out of proportion [up: refuted by Jason Schreier, see threadmarks] Rumor

The same employee also posted about the revenue bonus situation and Polish labour laws:

And Jim Sterling is hearing the same things: https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1316409221160800256
Just added them to the OP, thanks for the nudge.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The fact the devs found out on Twitter that a delay had been actioned is frankly appalling.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
No video game is worth 14-16 hour days.
In fact, no video game is worth 10 hour days.
No video game is worth the degradation of mind, soul, and body.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised this is sustainable for CDPR, to be honest. They've had a reputation for a long time as being a crunch heavy studio, and it seems as though they're getting worse for it over time. I wouldn't be surprised if experienced developers wouldn't touch them no matter what salaries they offered, meaning they need to hire more and more less experienced staff to fill the gaps... who they then make crunch, burn out, worsen their reputation and then have to hire even more people. It's only going to get worse, probably. Can't imagine a seasoned lead or even senior staff member wanting to touch them.

Pretty much every major developer is this way sadly. It's pure madness and smacks of incompetent management setting unrealistic targets but like I said it is pretty much everywhere. It is no wonder burnout is a big deal.

From my experience, they aren't all this way. You hear about the worst of it, and rightly so, but working in games isn't the guaranteed death march you hear about at some major studios. The issue is largely management related though; most studios tend to have heads who worked through the less corporate times of game dev in the late 90s and early 2000s and did insane crunch as if there was no other way to do it. Some of them then take the attitude of "it didn't kill me, so it's fine", while others take the attitude of "never again". There's plenty of studios with the latter approach and a positive studio culture is pretty high on the agenda for many studios these days.

The games industry can be pretty mercenary, with people switching companies quite frequently for better pay, benefits and increased seniority. As a result, among experienced staff, bad experiences travel far and wide pretty fast. Once you have a decent network of colleagues and ex colleagues, it's pretty easy to ask someone "what was it like working at x/y/z?". Which can contribute to the potential situation above; experienced developers being hard to hire for those studios.

The difficulty, I think, is landing a role early on in your career that doesn't stink in order to build those contacts in the first place.

Last edited:

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I've experienced crunch for a 1-2 weeks and was already feeling half dead. I have no idea how some people can endure months of it.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
My god, this sounds horrible. I've done crunch before, but this sounds like 1000x worse than anything I've known. Man, working on a triple-A game sounds like pure nightmare.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Indefensible. How long they're saying some have been crunching is just... I can't imagine.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
That sounds... I have no words. It's amazing how such a beloved company by gamers is actually such a toxic, terrible company to work for. With such practices, I'd be surprised if they managed to retain most of the developers that worked on the Witcher 3 and makes me wonder if CP2077 is made by completely different developers.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Waiting for the #Gamers to arrive in this thread and talk about how much they love working overtime.

This shit is gross.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Never believe in bonuses. It's such a scam. Feel bad for the hardworking team.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Games are fun to play, but I guess making them not so much, especially AAA games from a major developer.
What do developers have to look forward to? When they work on a project they crunch like crazy, sleep at work, not seeing your family etc. When the game goes gold, they have to work on patches and/or dlc. When that is wrappped up, hell starts over again with a new project.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
sounds exactly like what was said a couple weeks before the witcher 3 launched
honestly the management at cdpr seem completly incompetent, they seem to repeat their mistakes everytime and are not able to fix them

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
This shit is absolutely awful. Good for them speaking out though. Hopefully more developers in companies with insane crunch talk about it. This really needs to change.
Also interesting bit about the Polish leads, something like leaving the work before your boss being frowned upon, is something I've usually seen mentioned regarding Japanese work culture. Is this common in Poland overall, or more specifically a CDPR problem? Anyone Polish or who has worked there to clue me in?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Yup that sounds horrific. It's also a shame that its a selfsustaining system where the leads went through the same shit and decided it was okay since they survived.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Wow, Schreier spoke to a CDPR over the phone to verify the employee's experience. Can this man's agenda cut any deeper?

Sarcasm. Fuck Gameinformer for bootlicking and calling investigative journalism an "agenda".

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It amazes me that Jason gets attacked for merely reporting on this stuff. But he also got death threats for simply reporting factual news of games getting delayed, so I truly do not understand the twisted things that go through some people's brains.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I wonder how comfortable those yellow cyberpunk chairs given to influencers are if you had to sit in it for 16 hours a day for months on end

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
So, when Keanu Reeves went on stage with that "you're breathtaking" thing, they were barely out of pre-prod? Incredible, and terrible.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
This is inhumane. I've crunched for a few weeks and it's always exhausting. Can't imagine crunching over months/years. Needs to be punishable by law.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
This is a pretty common practice in all fields of software development. It typically goes like this;

• Management promises something without consulting engineers
    • or
  • Management do consult engineers, but pressure engineers into give them a unrealistic deadline
  • Engineers work their asses off
  • Engineers gets blamed when said deadline is not met or the product quality is terrible
  • QA is consider not important, because deadline is closing in
  • Product is a success (or sometimes a failure, bonuses are still paid out even though the product lost millions of dollars)
  • Upper management gets 6 figure bonuses
  • Engineers gets a bottle of wine and a pat on their shoulders for working 16-18 hour days for months (yep this has happened to me)

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Between their disregard for the lbgtq+ community, and their developers. They've become persona non grata in my household.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
They are handling this issue so terribly, hate to see my absolute favorite developer treat their employees this way. Rockstar/Netherrealm handled it better.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Wonder what condition the game is really in. Sounds like there's a hugely different opinion from the devs vs management and stuff

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Cybercrunch 2077 OT (where the OT stands for hours of overtime per year)

These working conditions sound awful.