• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

They are working on one of CDPR IPs (either CP or TW lol)

CD PROJEKT announces the acquisition of US-based developer, The Molasses Flood. Founded in Boston in 2014 by Bioshock, Halo, and Guitar Hero & Rock Band series veterans, The Molasses Flood is known for survival and base-building games The Flame in the Flood and Drake Hollow.

"We're always on the lookout for teams who make games with heart," says Adam Kiciński, President and Joint CEO, CD PROJEKT. "The Molasses Flood share our passion for video game development, they're experienced, quality-oriented, and have great technological insight. I'm convinced they will bring a lot of talent and determination to the Group."

"From the inception of The Molasses Flood, it was our goal to create games that touch and inspire people,"
says Forrest Dowling, Studio Head at The Molasses Flood. "When CD PROJEKT approached us about the possibility of working together, we saw an incredible opportunity to reach a much wider audience through a collaboration with a company we love, creating games in worlds we love. We could not be more excited to continue our mission with the support of CD PROJEKT and their incredibly talented team."

The Molasses Flood will be working in close cooperation with CD PROJEKT RED, but will keep their current identity and will not be merged with existing teams. The studio will be working on its own ambitious project which is based on one of CD PROJEKT's IPs. Details about the project will be announced in the future.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
CDPR in the business of smaller titles now or are they bringing them on as another studio to support their big releases? Weird...

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Could be a valuable acquisition if they are true to keeping their autonomy and use them for peer review.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Drake Hollow was a vibe but kind of repetitive and grindy. Heard Flame in the Flood was a big hit though. Hope they do well under CDPR.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
"One of CD Projekt's IP"

This is a funny bit because currently the only games they've made aren't their IPs.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Not sure why they named a game company after it. It actually lead to a bunch of safety regulations and is considered an early example of class action lawsuits and led to some early corporate regulation.

They're from Boston. Beyond that, just dark humor I assume -- it's a pretty legendary story, and over 100 years out, I think we're beyond "too soon" territory.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Flame in the Flood was neat, CDPR certainly wouldn't have been my pick for them but here's hoping it works out

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I find this actually very depressing. I love TMF and REALLY loved the Flame in the Flood. But it seems so... like that's just not a fit.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
how was the Flame in the Flood? apparently one of my favorite musicians of all time punk/folk rocker Chuck Ragan made the soundtrack, which i find the most random thing ever.

but i still havent tried it or even listened to the music.. how do the tunes fit? its an isometric survival game right..? not normally my cup of tea but i might give it a spin if someone can convince me to try :D

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Putting that Cyberscam money to use I see.

but good for those devs if they were close to shutting down

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
how was the Flame in the Flood? apparently one of my favorite musicians of all time punk/folk rocker Chuck Ragan made the soundtrack, which i find the most random thing ever.

but i still havent tried it or even listened to the music.. how do the tunes fit? its an isometric survival game right..? not normally my cup of tea but i might give it a spin if someone can convince me to try :D
I love it. It has a very nice vibe to it and I personally loved the soundtrack and thought it added a lot.
It's close to be something truly great though imo, I wish they would make a sequel.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure they own The Witcher outright, right? I think they purchased it from the original author

IIRC they own permanent rights to games with the brand but Sapkowski still holds ownership for everything else. I believe he's who Netflix cut the licensing checks to for their series, and CDPR's involvement is that it's a good co-marketing relationship for new games and long-tail TW3 sales.

Jul 1, 2020
They're from Boston. Beyond that, just dark humor I assume -- it's a pretty legendary story, and over 100 years out, I think we're beyond "too soon" territory.
I'm glad to hear about more studios in Boston. I thought Harmonix was the last big one in the area. Boston has had a lot of legendary games come out of studios that called it home.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
they are real cool and i enjoy their games, happy for them since it granted the financial support they need.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
hope they do something in the cyberpunk 2077 universe. might be better than the original game. it's probably going to be witcher related though, maybe i'm pessimistic but it feels like cdpr wants to abandon the cyberpunk ip as fast as they can.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Seems a little weird to me to name a company after a horrific disaster 🤷
I'd think 100 years passing and local colloquial use probably lessen that feeling. I also think they have the right to make that decision being from that area. We reference The Blizzard of '77 in Buffalo every time there is heavy accumulation. I think there are actually horrifying things to get bent out of shape over in this industry instead of this.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
giphy.gif

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'd think 100 years passing and local colloquial use probably lessen that feeling. I also think they have the right to make that decision being from that area. We reference The Blizzard of '77 in Buffalo every time there is heavy accumulation. I think there are actually horrifying things to get bent out of shape over in this industry instead of this.
Definitely. How many years have past has nothing to do with it to me. It's just such a horrible and morbid thing to name a company after. I wouldn't name my company Bhopal Disaster or Benxihu Colliery Disaster either.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

it was a fun survival lite indie game. haha but not much else i can say other than that for the gameplay and levels

one thing that did stick to my memory was it's art and music. those were really well done and complimented each other.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely. How many years have past has nothing to do with it to me. It's just such a horrible and morbid thing to name a company after. I wouldn't name my company Bhopal Disaster or Benxihu Colliery Disaster either.
That's fair. Personally I am happy to have learned this piece of history -- I never knew about it beforehand -- but I see where you're coming from now.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
5c9c77b0f867ac9dec0d2148810ffde7e2636b9a.jpeg

Seems after Drake Hollow they were doing support work.

Last edited:

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
hope they do something in the cyberpunk 2077 universe. might be better than the original game. it's probably going to be witcher related though, maybe i'm pessimistic but it feels like cdpr wants to abandon the cyberpunk ip as fast as they can.

Nah.. they have free DLCs and two big expansions + next-gen update planned for CP77 and right now they have two IP in their hands - Witcher and CP - and CP77 still sold dozens and dozens of milions of copies + they already spent millions of dollars to acquiring the licence and to develop the first game - what they need to do and probably are going to do, is to improve the perceptions and view of the first game in the public eyes through patches, the mentioned DLCs and expansions (but people who still wanted and want from the game to be a "cyberpunk GTA" are never going to get that, because it's simply not that type of a game), then release a new Witcher game with great critic and player ratings (and sales) and then release a new game with the CP licence, with better and clearer marketing than in the case of the first game