• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get the "well, MHW+DBZ came out so of course it would sell better on Switch".
A lot of indies have been doing best on Switch. It's a healthy platform for it despite so much weekly competition. Also, MHW didn't come out on steam?

As for the "with that dpad" comments, the game doesn't really use a dpad much since it's mostly diagonal movements you need to make

Also you know it's meaningless in the long run. Switch will never have all the big games that PS/XB/PC have so there will always be a bigger opportunity for smaller games.

Same deal with people talking about Nintendo promoting/making it seem like an exclusive. That happens all the time for other platforms and Sony/MS have already locked down any remotely big game so how is it a bad thing if Nintendo is willing to promote smaller releases?

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally surprised that Switch is where the game sold the most given that the userbase is still very small compared to others.

I still prefer to keep these games on Steam for long-term purposes. Imagine all the eShop titles that are stuck on previous gen Nintendo systems for example. Not to mention the lack of a d-pad...?

I thought the same too Re: Steam, then I realized that by the time I wished to replay these games, I can most likely get them for pennies either in a bundle or a steam sale.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Huh? DKCR is supposed to be played with the Wiimote sideways, given the control scheme only requires d-pad + 2 face buttons + shake.

Otherwise it makes no sense to force shake to roll.
Maybe something was wrong on my end, but I always felt that the shake input registered considerably quicker when I did it with the nunchack configuration.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just looking at sales I assume many people like me who also have PS4 or XBO are busy with Monster Hunter and/or Dragon Ball Z.

At least it's my case, this month I played mostly Street Fighter V Arcade Edition and Monster Hunter, also played The Red Strings Clubs (thanks god it's short) and also bought DBF but still didn't have time to play it. I also have a Switch, but I love these other IPs and creators and prefer to play their games before anything else released these month.

I also spent too much money this month, so Celeste will wait even if I loved Towerfall but missed there a proper single player mode.

Switch only players didn't have this issue, or multi players who don't like these games. In addition to this, Switch eShop store is way less saturated with new games, preorders and DLC stuff so it's easier for new games to be visible for players.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect fit? Not with that d-pad

If you are using he joycons D-pad for Celeste then you are making it even more difficult for yourself. Diagonal dashes are much easier with the analogue stick. Though with the Joycons small analogue sticks it can sometimes be hard to tell if I'm pushing right or up-right.

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's not just Indies.

Even decades old lazy ports like ultra street fighter are reporting smash sales on the switch.

Devs who aren't putting out good titles on the switch are really missing out on a ton of potential sales.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintrndo has done something super special that they've never done before, they've created a platform that people choose to play non nintendo games on.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a no brainer for me, I'm buying every indie on the Switch going forward.

Say it with me, 3rd party always sells the worst at Nintendo platforms
2f14725cc2.png

/s

I wonder how many more success it will take for that meme to die out
I only see that 'meme' dying out if Nintendo consoles sell the best with AAA third party releases.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not just Indies.

Even decades old lazy ports like ultra street fighter are getting smash sales on the switch.

Devs who aren't putting out good titles on the switch are really missing out on a ton of potential sales.
Obviously at least as far as indie games are concerned, this isn't entirely by choice. I think every indie dev and their mother would be putting their game on Switch if Nintendo allowed it, given the success stories. I suspect the success stories have something to do with it not being allowed, though.

Where big name publishers are concerned though, you're right. This time, the wait and see attitude seems to have been something of a lost opportunity.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
It's Monster Hunter/DBFZ week as well so that makes sense, but yeah I'm still really glad to keep hearing about these Switch indie success stories. I find that games like this are a perfect fit for the console. It also probably helps that Nintendo helped push the game directly.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonball Fighterz and Monster Hunter most likely sucked out a lot of dollars out of the other platforms. Celeste being the notable game for the switch that month?

I know I'm obsessed with MHW.

DBZ, MHW, and Celeste came out at the exact same time.

Well Monster Hunter World and Dragon Ball FighterZ aren't on Switch so that could be why. Celeste also seems to be promoted as a Switch game more than a multi-platform game. I expect the same will happen with Owlboy.

Just looking at sales I assume many people like me who also have PS4 or XBO are busy with Monster Hunter and/or Dragon Ball Z.

At least it's my case, this month I played mostly Street Fighter V Arcade Edition and Monster Hunter, also played The Red Strings Clubs (thanks god it's short) and also bought DBF but still didn't have time to play it. I also have a Switch, but I love these other IPs and creators and prefer to play their games before anything else released these month.

I also spent too much money this month, so Celeste will wait even if I loved Towerfall but missed there a proper single player mode.

Switch only players didn't have this issue, or multi players who don't like these games. In addition to this, Switch eShop store is way less saturated with new games, preorders and DLC stuff so it's easier for new games to be visible for players.

Why are people giving excuses as to why it didn't sell more on other platforms? lol. Hope you guys are also taking into account the vastly suprior install base of other platforms. For example, MHW shipped 5 million copies. Even if we assume that all of them sold through on PS4, with its install base of 70+ million, the remaining 65+ million install base is still greater than the Switch install base.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If you own multiple consoles, unless you really value portable use, wouldn't it make better sense to simply buy the best version of the game possible?
This goes back to the pixel art thread for me: this game looks awful on a 55" TV but it's perfectly fine on the Switch screen. It's also the kind of game that is good to play in short bursts so fits the Switch well as a handheld.

I barely touch my Switch as I only use it when on work trips (I don't even have the dock connected to my TV) but still purchased Celeste for Switch (and not Pro/X) because it's such a perfect time waster in that environment. The only frustration is this game really isn't quite so well suited to the Joycons.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why are people giving excuses as to why it didn't sell more on other platforms? lol. Hope you guys are also taking into account the vastly suprior install base of other platforms. For example, MHW shipped 5 million copies. Even if we assume that all of them sold through on PS4, with its install base of 70+ million, the remaining 65+ million install base is still greater than the Switch install base.
Is that not allowed?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Every indies studio should seriously think to support Switch.
It's a goldmine at the moment due to the combination of
1- rapidly increasing install base.
2- lack of competition from other big third-party publishers
3- strong synergy between the audience courted by Nintendo with Switch and the retro-inspired indie games.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much. Owlboy and Fe are launching on all systems this month, during quiet times for each console. They'll sell best on Switch, almost guaranteed. MHW and DBZ likely have little to do with Celeste's performance on Switch. Though I do think the lack of big AAA games on Switch overall has trained lots of owners to focus more on indie titles in general.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Dragonball Fighterz and Monster Hunter most likely sucked out a lot of dollars out of the other platforms. Celeste being the notable game for the switch that month?

I know I'm obsessed with MHW.

DBZ, MHW, and Celeste came out at the exact same time.
Yeah I believe this has a lot to to do with it. If you have a PS4 or XB1 chances are high you are playing one or both games. Switch didn't have any other 'big' game that week so this is a no brainier why it sold best there.

That being said the happier devs are with their sales the brighter the future looks for switch support; it's already an indie supernova.

Almost bought this in the middle of the night but I just got FighterZ so I should hold off on buying anything else.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
If you own multiple consoles, unless you really value portable use, wouldn't it make better sense to simply buy the best version of the game possible?
No because such games in many cases are hardly taxing to the hardware so they are fine on Switch and Switch offer that kind of versatility in consumption which is very convenient.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch analog stick has been responsible for at least 20% of my deaths in that game.

Lack of a proper D-Pad really stinks.

silby

Oct 27, 2017
I've said this in other contexts but I think Nintendo's strategy of protecting the price of their games for literally decades after initial release makes Switch owners/Nintendo enthusiasts more likely (and excited!) to pay full-price for digital games than, say, their Steam-focused counterparts, who will post reviews complaining about like the dollars per megabyte ratio of a $20 game. Instead of comparing Celeste at $20 to last year's AAA tentpole on sale for $30 and seeing a "rip-off", Switch owners will compare Celeste at $20 to Zelda and Mario at $60 and see an affordable indie.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All according to keikaku.

I also don't get the MHW/DBZ 'factor' at all since its comparing apples, oranges, and broccoli. Whatever excuses helps you get through the fact that Switch is a great platform for indies.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Pretty much. Owlboy and Fe are launching on all systems this month, during quiet times for each console. They'll sell best on Switch, almost guaranteed. MHW and DBZ likely have little to do with Celeste's performance on Switch. Though I do think the lack of big AAA games on Switch overall has trained lots of owners to focus more on indie titles in general.
Indie games are perfect for handheld gaming. Pixel art looks better on the smaller screen and they are also perfect jump in and out type games which are ideal when on the move. That's a big part of the reason why they are so successful on Switch. I only own two AAA games for the Switch: BotW and SMO. Everything else is indie.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Using DBZ and MHW as excuses to why it didn't sell more in other platforms is strange, I mean sure it probably happened to some people but this isn't even a $60 release, so I dunno.

Personally I own a PS4 and DBZ was my most hyped release for this year, but I got it AND Celeste (along with a couple other indies). The thing is that the Switch offers fantastic value for indies because it's a great companion platform, so I effectively traveled a lot that weekend (to visit friends and have a FighterZ party!) but played a lot of Celeste on my Switch while on the road and before going to sleep.

It also helped that for whatever reason a lot of people thought it was a Switch exclusive for a while (myself included lol).

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Every day money is spent in Nintendo's store, is a good day.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I've said this in other contexts but I think Nintendo's strategy of protecting the price of their games for literally decades after initial release makes Switch owners/Nintendo enthusiasts more likely (and excited!) to pay full-price for digital games than, say, their Steam-focused counterparts, who will post reviews complaining about like the dollars per megabyte ratio of a $20 game. Instead of comparing Celeste at $20 to last year's AAA tentpole on sale for $30 and seeing a "rip-off", Switch owners will compare Celeste at $20 to Zelda and Mario at $60 and see an affordable indie.

This is utter nonsense and I don't get what argument you're even trying to make, god forbid someone not want to pay full price for a game? Excited to pay full price? I buy games on sale because I gotta pay rent and saving money is tip top, I don't do it and imagine a group of people who are excited to buy it at full price.

I wish I could say you were reaching but I don't even know what you're reaching for.

silby

Oct 27, 2017
Switch was the first console confirmed for the game, Nintendo owned the launch date announcement in the Mini Direct and featured the game in an earlier Nindie showcase I think. This co-op marketing from Nintendo helped both parties out I imagine.

Oct 29, 2017
Considering the relative sales of the various platforms, that's very impressive. 3rd parties can do well oin Nintendo consoles, they just have to be indies.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
All according to keikaku.

I also don't get the MHW/DBZ 'factor' at all since its comparing apples, oranges, and broccoli. Whatever excuses helps you get through the fact that Switch is a great platform for indies.

i think you're forgetting how mhw and dbz also helped axiom verge sell better on switch since there was nothing else on the platform in october last year.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch's D-pad and the presence of a platinum trophy for the PS version of the game are the only reasons I haven't already bought it for Switch. I expect I'll probably get it on PS4 in a week or two, for those reasons.

I get it's designed for the analog, but that's hard for me to imagine.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

yeah this plus their gradually increased exposure for indies in their directs, treehouse lives, mini directs, and now nindie showcases

plus the Nintendo fanbase in general loves certain styles and genres of games that indies tend to fulfill

silby

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could say you were reaching but I don't even know what you're reaching for.
It's not a moral judgment. My take is just that Nintendo's policy ("you will always have to pay us to play Super Mario Bros again") has a halo effect on other games that are sold through their store. For Nintendo customers that are not also PlayStation or Steam customers (these people surely exist by the millions, and growing), they're more likely to tolerate a higher price because Nintendo doesn't discount its own games. This isn't accusing anyone of being either stingy and unsophisticated, this is just my hypothesis about the overall effect of the different strategies of different publishers and platforms.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Oh. I thought it was exclusive

But thats my fault, I only heard of this game on the Switch mini Direct and assumed it was

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Is this game like Super Meat Boy? I love platformefs but hate that game. Trial and error platforming is the worst kind of playforming.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get the whole DBFZ/MonHun excuse
I imagine even if FighterZ was on the Switch day one like the other platforms, Celeste still would've had the same results

Anyway, congrats to the devs

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the relative sales of the various platforms, that's very impressive. 3rd parties can do well oin Nintendo consoles, they just have to be indies.

nope. traditional third-parties do well too. you just have to have games on the platform.

disgaea 5 complete is almost 200k in the west.
resident evil revelations is over 250k.
super bomberman r is over 500k
db xenoverse 2 is over 500k
puyo puyo tetris did 100k in the us at retail
skyrim was one of the ten best-selling games on the platform in the us in 2017
nights of azure 2 outsold the ps4 version in the us

Last edited:

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
It's a very good game, but playing it on the keyboard requires a different dexterity type than an analog stick would, so Iimagine it's easier to play on Switch for a lot of people, too.

Glad it did fantastically. I did my part on Steam.

RootPith

Dec 21, 2017
Why do people always find excuses? What do you achieve by arguing? Before it was that there was no games to play on the console, so Switch owners were thirsty for some. Now it because MHW and DBZ? Really people? If there's a deduction to make it's that if you are an indie developer, you wanna get your game on the Switch ASAP. How many games already have been announced to sell best on the switch? Switch has already developed a wide and informed user-base.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
Perfect fit? Not with that d-pad

I think people must be playing with their palms or something to have such debilitating issues with the dpad.

Why do people always find excuses? What do you achieve by arguing? Before it was that there was no games to play on the console, so Switch owners were thirsty for some. Now it because MHW and DBZ? Really people? If there's a deduction to make it's that if you are an indie developer, you wanna get your game on the Switch ASAP. How many games already have been announced to sell best on the switch? Switch has already developed a wide and informed user-base.

A lot of people have for some reason attached their egos to Nintendo failing. I really don't understand it but it's fascinating to read.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
nope. traditional third-parties do well too. you just have to have games on the platform.

disgaea 5 complete is almost 200k in the west.
resident evil revelations is over 500k.
super bomberman r is over 500k
db xenoverse 2 is over 500k
puyo puyo tetris did 100k in the us at retail
skyrim was one of the ten best-selling games on the platform in the us in 2017
nights of azure 2 outsold the ps4 version in the us

I thought RER across all consoles was 500k with Switch being half but that half only included RER1 and RER2 sales are on top of that so probably 350k combining both games.

- Revelations ports ( For PS4/X1/Switch ) sold 500K , the breakdown is 100K Japan, 270K overseas, and 130K Digital versions and half of the 500K are from Nintendo switch , but it is unknown if the 250K switch is split between REV1 and REV2 or it is only REV1

Edit : It is only REV1 on switch

From the OP: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...ve-expectations-revelations-ports-500k.20362/

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly i dont see any reason to get a indie game that is more or less the same on all systems not on Switch. You just cant beat being able to play on the big screen or everywhere else.

After years of a hoarding a bunch of indie releases i never or rarely got to play on Steam im happy for the small indie renaissance on Switch.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
i think you're forgetting how mhw and dbz also helped axiom verge sell better on switch since there was nothing else on the platform in october last year.
I know you're being sarcastic but Odyssey was launched on October last year though,but then again,this could be a joke inside a joke or something like that :P