• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why GOTY?

It's gorgeous and there are lots of really neat spins it applies to the genre that made it more enjoyable for me compared to something like Super Meat Boy. I enjoyed the ability to take different paths, the overall story was good, gorgeous graphics, great gameplay.

But my one problem is that I bought the game on the Switch.

Why is that a problem?

From looking at a few things online I've seen a reoccurring theme: diagonal jumps are already sensitive in the game as is. This coupled with the Switch's less than great analog nubs to begin with.

I'd say at least a good 1/3rd of my in game deaths are due to me whiffing a diagonal jump. And since the end game starts to require many of these types of jumps and in rapid succession the last few hours of the game really started to drag for me. Especially the final boss as it is a repetitive battle to begin with.

Since there is no dpad either, I had no alternative!

edit

To clarify, this is JoyCons only, no other controller/no Pro controller. Handheld mode only.

Last edited:

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the diagonal jumps were only hard with the dpad on the pro controller? Didn't know it was more difficult on the stick. That sucks! Maybe I should avoid the Switch version.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I used the analog sticks through the whole game and never had the diagonal whiffing problem you're describing. Are your joycons borked?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, the game is great, and a pain to play on the Switch. The Joycon d-pad is terrible. The joycon analog is pretty lackluster and gives me hand cramps over prolonged Celeste sessions. Never went in for the $70 pro controller because of the d-pad issues. There's just no good solution to playing a precise platformer on the system unless you use an adapter and plug in a proper controller like a DS4.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Get a different controller for your switch? I played this game primarily in handheld mode using the dpad joycon buttons and thought it was fine. Not ideal, but not a detriment to my enjoyment.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I used the analog sticks through the whole game and never had the diagonal whiffing problem you're describing. Are your joycons borked?
Same here. Haven't done the c-sides, but b-sides have all been fine. Using analogs here. Can't imagine playing this game with the joycon "d-pad".

OP
OP
House_Of_Lightning

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Get a different controller for your switch? I played this game primarily in handheld mode using the dpad joycon buttons and thought it was fine. Not ideal, but not a detriment to my enjoyment.

I certainly still enjoyed the game very much and beat it and a few b-sides.

But "not ideal" controls in a game that is very very precise was very noticeable.

All I could think of was "I wish I had a Gamecube controller with the notch in the directions."

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Why GOTY?

It's gorgeous and there are lots of really neat spins it applies to the genre that made it more enjoyable for me compared to something like Super Meat Boy. I enjoyed the ability to take different paths, the overall story was good, gorgeous graphics, great gameplay.

But my one problem is that I bought the game on the Switch.

Why is that a problem?

From looking at a few things online I've seen a reoccurring theme: diagonal jumps are already sensitive in the game as is. This coupled with the Switch's less than great analog nubs to begin with.

I'd say at least a good 1/3rd of my in game deaths are due to me whiffing a diagonal jump. And since the end game starts to require many of these types of jumps and in rapid succession the last few hours of the game really started to drag for me. Especially the final boss as it is a repetitive battle to begin with.

Since there is no dpad either, I had no alternative!

Have you tried it on another controller? If not, how do you know that what the Switch has is the problem?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cleared all C-side levels without a control issue on Switch. The game seems designed to use control sticks rather than the D pad.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah I had a similar issue with diagonals, ended up using the analog stick on the Pro controller.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I don't get why people try to use the stick in this game. Even though the joycon "dpad" and pro controller dpad are not ideal, it's still way more accurate than using a stick. And that is true for any of the controller options. The only thing I used the stick for was feather controls because it actually has more than 8 possible directions for movement. It's a lot easier to flub an analog input vs digital input, that's just the nature of the control types.

OP
OP
House_Of_Lightning

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Have you tried it on another controller? If not, how do you know that what the Switch has is the problem?

It's 100% possible that it is the game itself, as I've read that the diagonal jumps are touchy in general. I blamed the Switch though as it's analog nubs have a short "throw" to them and feel less precise than, say, my Xbox One Pro.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had to stop playing because of the diagonal jump issue brought on by the Switch dpad.

Maybe I will pick it up again someday.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
It's 100% possible that it is the game itself, as I've read that the diagonal jumps are touchy in general. I blamed the Switch though as it's analog nubs have a short "throw" to them and feel less precise than, say, my Xbox One Pro.

Right, but I'm just saying the point of your post would make more sense if you had tried it on another controller/device (even the Switch Pro controller would have been a good contrast)

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Over the course of several thousand deaths, I had about a dozen that I'd attribute to a missed input. It's noticeable when it happens, but for me it wasn't game breaking in the least.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I had some issues with messing up the directional input when it came to diagonals, mostly in the post game. Unfortunately since the Switch has no functional d-pads, you are left with the analog which is fine for the most part, but can get you into trouble at times depending on the particular section you are working on. Still my current GotY though.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I 100%'d it on Switch and had no issues with the controller. Not that I didn't die a lot, I did, but I recognize all of them were my own fault, not the controller. I did use my Pro controller though. 99% dpad (I used the sticks for the feather sections)

I agree with part of the OP though, it would've been my GotY, if I hadn't also played Hollow Knight this year.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I had the same problem, would often fuck up the dashes thanks to the analog stick.

I really wish the joy con had a half decent dpad.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I played this game 100% handheld on switch and switched to the d-pad by about world 3.

definitely my GOTY but yeah that's an objective flaw to the design of that system.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Celeste is a lot of peoples GOTY and most people bought it on Switch

Controlled like a dream for me *shrug*

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I've been playing with the d-pad on my pro controller and the not-so-d-pad of my joycons and never had diagonal issues. I think people are misrepresenting hardware issues as issues in the game.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I just finished all the C sides and 100%'d the game on nothing but handheld mode. I loved the D-Pad on the joy cons for this and in fact, I couldn't even pass it all on anything else (I tried). I guess I'm weird lol. Love this fucking game too!

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
This has been something I've worried about on the switch. Yeah Doom, Wolfenstein , Hollow Knight and Celeste are on Switch and are portable, but how does it feel to control games like those with joy con? I remember trying to play shovel Knight on the 3ds and it was a nightmare controls wise for how precise you need to be. And if you buy the pro controller why not just play on a regular console where the polygonal games run better?

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I ran into the occasional issue with diagonal input as well. I beat the game though and loved it.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played it almost entirely in portable mode and loved it. It's a GOTY contender for sure but this sounds like a case of the "get guds" OP.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had the exact same experience OP, which was quite infuriating at times. But it's still my GOTY and top 20 all time for me.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used an SFC30 controller from 8Bitdo and had a great time.

If you need to play in portable mode, Hori has a left joy con with a d-pad releasing sometime in the near future.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I never had any problems with the diagonal jumps. I messed up a couple but the sticks were fine for the most part.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I played through it on Switch and it's easiest one of my games of the year. I didn't really have any problems with diagonals with joycons or (using the stick) on a Pro Controller. I kinda felt like it controlled like a dream. Celeste is utterly fantastic!

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same for me, but not because of the controls. It's because Hollow Knight came out and is light years better.

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This has been something I've worried about on the switch. Yeah Doom, Wolfenstein , Hollow Knight and Celeste are on Switch and are portable, but how does it feel to control games like those with joy con? I remember trying to play shovel Knight on the 3ds and it was a nightmare controls wise for how precise you need to be. And if you buy the pro controller why not just play on a regular console where the polygonal games run better?
They play fine I've beaten Celeste and have like 20 hours in Hollow Knight almost exclusively in handheld mode. Some people are just more sensitive than others to these kind of things.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad other people had this problem too, it felt like I had forgoten how to use a controller because I dashed in the wrong direction so often. I had more success with the pro controller.
It's not just Celeste, I'm having similar issues with Joy Cons in Octopath Traveler (but much less often).

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
I've played everything including B and C Sides with the Switch Pro Controller d-pad and didn't have any big issues. I had a few wrong diagonal inputs every once in a while, but I'm not sure if it would have been any better on any other controller.

I only played handheld a few times, and then I definitely preferred the directional buttons to the analogue stick. It's not like they're unusable for 2D platformers.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I played through it on analog as well and it was really noticeable, I still wouldnt play it on anything else because handheld is a big deal. Hopefully the next iteration of joycons can address the D-pad.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I really relate cause I found myself playing it just fine, but I can see your troubles, you ever plug in a third party option while docked? Or maybe even the Gamecube controller to see if that worked?

Fingerthing

Oct 27, 2017
One hundred percent agree with you OP. It DOES get easier to pull off, but it's never an issue that goes away on the joy-cons. The stick on the Pro is the only way to be certain.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Celeste is my GOTY and I played it on Switch. Sure some diagonals are hard to pull off but it's more because the game is hard and unforgiving in its later levels than anything else.