• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Just caught wind of this and I want it; I'm home with the flu and am looking for ways to entertain myself, aha. Not up on the US shop tho! I reckon it'll be up by the afternoon.

The whole package looks great. Visuals, controls, etc. I haven't played a mega-hard platformer since 1001 Spikes (Which I beat 100%!), I'm ready to jump in!

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, I mean in terms of the larger game being one that subverts expectations and don't always play things straight. Sounds like those first areas present the game as something familiar and then the game starts picking at those expectations. Hence only wanting to show that specific part of the game
I see. Yeah, that too. ;)

Any news about the length?
I've seen something around 10 hours to complete the main "story".

Of course if you're into trying to get all the strawberries, and get faster and better at the game, that could add a whole lot more time. :)

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
I just bought it on the Iberia eShop. (Spain)
Interesting. I live in Portugal, but actually thought we shared the eShop (because there's no Nintendo Spain or Portugal, just Iberia because our market [Portuguese] is really small). Well, guess I have to wait.

EDIT: clarity

Last edited:

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
supremely excited for this. i enjoy indie games but it's rare that one really gets me going; last one was steamworld dig 2

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wow the hd rumble is quite neatly done.
Also awesome music!
Game icon is ace ;)

Last edited:

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Towerfall, so I'm going to grab this on Switch in a few days. Hopefully it's not too hard.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This has to be the highest profile precision platformer since N++, right? The genre hasn't had a game blow up and get a lot of attention in a while

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sat here in the work cafeteria with my cup of coffee checking every now and then like

200w.gif

Even though I know it'll be on the hour if anything.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Downloading tonight, won't be able to play until tomorrow. I haven't been this hyped for a 2d platformer since Tropical Freeze.

Akari

Oct 25, 2017
Celeste looks genuinely interesting, think I'm going to pick it up. I played through Celeste Classic and the base gameplay was really fun, but I'm hoping the new narrative focus is done well.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finishing up my video review of the game but i think it's one of the best 2D platformers i have ever played. It's amazing in every single front. I loved every second of it and still want to 100% it.

600 screens doesn't mean too much for me though.

Someone said 10 hours, which is far more than what I was expecting.

If you want to 100% it (and get more out of the story, too) it's even longer than that.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It has 31 trophies including a Platinum for those interested in the ps4 version.
fuck yeah. Earning the Rapture trophy in Towerfall felt really good. I doubt I'll earn the plat though if this game is as difficult as it looks.

Also fyi to anyone picking up off PSN, there's a 10% discount code floating around. Be sure to use it!

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
fuck yeah. Earning the Rapture trophy in Towerfall felt really good. I doubt I'll earn the plat though if this game is as difficult as it looks.

Also fyi to anyone picking up off PSN, there's a 10% discount code floating around. Be sure to use it!
It's not just floating around. It's in the store on the main screen when you go to PSN on your PS4.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its up in the UK but I had to search for it as it seems to have disappeared off the New and Coming Soon tabs.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This has to be the highest profile precision platformer since N++, right? The genre hasn't had a game blow up and get a lot of attention in a while

Splasher is a great precision platformer and wonderful on Switch.

Agreed, Splasher is astounding and didn't get nearly the love it deserves. I should write a LTTP on it, just finished it pretty recently and loved it. Best 2D platformer to me in ages. The Rayman Origins influence is significant, which makes sense as the creator worked as a designer on that game also. It still does its own unique spin on things, with the different ink mechanics.

I'm finishing up my video review of the game but i think it's one of the best 2D platformers i have ever played. It's amazing in every single front. I loved every second of it and still want to 100% it.

If you want to 100% it (and get more out of the story, too) it's even longer than that.

Very excited to play it given your praise. P.S. play Splasher if you haven't!

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Finally downloading on my Switch! So excited to play! :D

Do you guys recommend to play this game docked on my 1080p TV or handheld?

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Splasher is a great precision platformer and wonderful on Switch.
It was a really amazing game.
I would also had "The End is Nigh" to the list of high precision platformers that are really good.

It seems Celeste is having more luck than this two gems since it seems to have more spotlight and hype around it.

Mdk7

Oct 27, 2017
Novara, Italy

What about not going 100%? Is 10 hours a good indication?

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How's platforming on the switch with the pro dpad? I'm thinking of going ps4 for the better dpad and well the 10% code is nice too. But having something to do with my switch instead of gathering dust would be cool.

What about not going 100%? Is 10 hours a good indication?
600 screens , 10 hours would mean a screen a minute? I don't know if that's a pace that can be kept. I'm hoping the screens get real tough like 1001 spikes did.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's platforming on the switch with the pro dpad? I'm thinking of going ps4 for the better dpad and well the 10% code is nice too. But having something to do with my switch instead of gathering dust would be cool.

600 screens , 10 hours would mean a screen a minute? I don't know if that's a pace that can be kept. I'm hoping the screens get real tough like 1001 spikes did.
Despite this being a 2D platformer I'm pretty sure this game was designed around the analog stick.

Lnkn52

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to try it when I get home. Soundtrack sounds so beautiful. Lena Raine is 10/10.

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Chapter 1 complete! 6 out of 20 strawberries collected. 202 deaths . I love this game! :D

Please share your stats as well!

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
christ, that IGN review. If reviews are like that across the board it looks like I'll have to pick this up. Looks awesome anyway so quite excited to check this out

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
christ, that IGN review. If reviews are like that across the board it looks like I'll have to pick this up. Looks awesome anyway so quite excited to check this out
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...ists-this-2d-game-reaches-such-great-heights/
A peek at this week's Celeste—which favors pixellated designs and squishy, bouncy characters—could make any skeptical passerby sigh in that "Gosh, another one of these?" way. I get that.

But I insist there's something here. In the past few years, we've seen a few super-beautiful, far-from-pixellated platformers emerge with serious fans. Cuphead made a huge splash in 2017 by emphasizing brutal difficulty and hand-drawn beauty. Fans of 2014's Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze swear by its breadth and production values. And 2015's Ori and the Blind Forest injected gorgeous designs and wild platforming maneuvers into a "Metroidvania" adventure.

Celeste doesn't look much like those three games, but its brilliance comes from borrowing their best ideas—and boost-leaping past their pitfalls—to deliver the most intense, memorable, and satisfying platformer yet released in the 2010s. Put Celeste at the top of your side-scrolling shelf, right next to Super Meat Boy and Yoshi's Island.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-celeste-484157.phtml
10/10
If you're even remotely interested in this game, this review is a huge waste of your time. It's good. It's very fucking good. You should just go ahead and buy it.