• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I think (hope) I reached the final screen. Something this long can't be just a regular room...

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so the game just taught me wavedashing. Yeah this game is gonna be impossible from this point isn't it? If the game is gonna require me to chain this shit together in complex scenarios I'm fucked. It takes serious effort to just do one.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Ok so the game just taught me wavedashing. Yeah this game is gonna be impossible from this point isn't it? If the game is gonna require me to chain this shit together in complex scenarios I'm fucked. It takes serious effort to just do one.

just try for a while in a safe environnement until you nail it everytime, once you understand the trick it's pretty easy to do imo, easier than the super wall jump at least

Oct 25, 2017
I finally fucking got it. I swear that took a solid four hours of trying.

The answer is "yes you have to chain these together in complex ways" and also "yes you can do it if you're stubborn enough."

Oct 28, 2017
Considering I have literally JUST learned the existence of this mechanic the game is asking WAY too much of me at this point. Christ, at least give me some time to get used to this with some simple jumps first.

Oct 28, 2017
Let me see if I've got this straight. The game expects me to trigger the moving platform, wavedash at just the right time, then time a dash wall jump up absolutely perfectly off the moving platform I triggered, somehow do this at such a perfect angle that I don't touch the spikes that are bloody everywhere, hang back on to the side of said platform, avoid spikes as it moves along, jump on to the spring hanging on the wall to get in front of the moving platform again, and time my dash up absolutely perfectly again to dash wall jump over the spikes at a perfect angle.

That's what the game expects me to do? Is this for real?

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Let me see if I've got this straight. The game expects me to trigger the moving platform, wavedash at just the right time, then time a dash wall jump up absolutely perfectly off the moving platform I triggered, somehow do this at such a perfect angle that I don't touch the spikes that are bloody everywhere, hang back on to the side of said platform, avoid spikes as it moves along, jump on to the spring hanging on the wall to get in front of the moving platform again, and time my dash up absolutely perfectly again to dash wall jump over the spikes at a perfect angle.

Yup.

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. And you're going to think it's impossible. But you'll keep trying and keep getting closer and closer. Then you'll finally execute the room perfectly before making a stupid mistake and dying on the last jump (which is super simple). You'll throw the controller in disgust and swear more than a few times. Then you'll pick the controller back up again and finish the room about 10-15 minutes later and be so damn relieved.

The next few rooms will feel easy by comparison.

Then you'll find another room that's even harder.

Trails

Oct 28, 2017

No.

You make it sound like perfection is needed but that's not the case. Many people have said similar things about various levels and screens in Celeste, perfection, pixel perfect, frame perfect...etc. aka bullshit.There is room for error but you cannot see it yet because you lack control and don't understand the basic mechanics well enough.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Celeste doesn't require pixel-perfect or frame-perfect execution but, in my opinion, it very often makes things too difficult in ways that are just annoying. Several jumps/dashes in the game could require less precision and the game would be just as good.

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh I don't think I have the patience for washdashing and wall bouncing anymore. Wish it was more input friendly.

Well at least I just did the first dash + bounce part. I'm sure pain awaits...

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
No.

You make it sound like perfection is needed but that's not the case. Many people have said similar things about various levels and screens in Celeste, perfection, pixel perfect, frame perfect...etc. aka bullshit.There is room for error but you cannot see it yet because you lack control and don't understand the basic mechanics well enough.

Perfection not being needed also doesn't mean the room for error is that big. There are some of those jumps that require a very careful timing, certainly measure in frames (even if it can be a two digits window rather than one digit) Moreover, I would argue that these are not basic mechanics, these are advanced ones. Some of these only teached to the average player in this DLC (or some previous late level).

So I don't think it's lack of control or understanding the main problem here (even though the more you know how to play the game the better). But getting youself used to the precise timing required.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
almost deleted the game last night because wavedashing felt impossible.... now I'm moving at a pretty steady clip. Hopefully I don't get too stuck on anything

Aug 28, 2019
Reached the gate that requires 16 hearts to open, of which I have 6.

...OK then. I really don't feel like going after all of those right now. Guess I'll come back to it another time.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Reached the gate that requires 16 hearts to open, of which I have 6.

...OK then. I really don't feel like going after all of those right now. Guess I'll come back to it another time.
There's a way to bypass this gate, you just hyperdash at it and you can clear it by a few pixels if you're quick. Look back a couple pages and you'll see a video, I think.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Just reached the first gate, already have 950 deaths lol. Ain't no way I'm gonna beat this in 2000 deaths like some of you. I beat all B-sides in a previous game so I'll be able to do that again to open the gate, but I only ever beat 1 C-side, so I suspect the rest of Farewell is beyond my grasp.

Also that fast fall room is dumb, first time I ever had to look anything up. It's clearly an error and a hint should be patched in.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Got to the gate and decided it was time to finally finish the rest of the C sides. Summit C took 300 deaths :(
That one is just so much more grueling than the others which were anywhere between 60 and 100

Oct 28, 2017

YESSSSSSS!

Pfft that wasn't even that hard.

This was a room I needed to sleep on and come back to in the morning. Once I had my eureka moment of exactly why my dash wall jump wasn't giving me enough height to get over the spikes, the rest fell in to place.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I think (hope) I reached the final screen. Something this long can't be just a regular room...
I think it explicitly tells you the last room...
The answer is "yes you have to chain these together in complex ways" and also "yes you can do it if you're stubborn enough."
Making steady progress.

Heh when I finally finished that one I looked at the replay and noticed I didn't even use the jumping wavedash technique at all iirc.

Anyway I finished 9 tonight to the tune of almost 3100 deaths and over 9 hours, and that's with resorting to assists for the first time, for like ~3 rooms I think, including the final one. Other than the final I just ticked speed down to 80% and got them quickly enough.

For the final I tried that. Then died like half way. Then tried double boosts but at full speed, and got farther without actually using the extra boost. Then turned the assists back off and got farther but blew it half way cause I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do. At that point I was just frustrated enough to just turn invincibility and infinite boost on and blast back to the same point.

Looking at the rest of the level I'm pretty sure I could've done it eventually, but with how many times I'd already tried to that point and it being 2AM, I didn't really care anymore, I just wanted to finish finally.

...and now I have the C sides to look forward to!

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Just reached the first gate, already have 950 deaths lol. Ain't no way I'm gonna beat this in 2000 deaths like some of you. I beat all B-sides in a previous game so I'll be able to do that again to open the gate, but I only ever beat 1 C-side, so I suspect the rest of Farewell is beyond my grasp.
I did Farewell before doing 8b or any of the c-sides. Honestly, I think that anyone who can get through 7b can absolutely get through Farewell too if they just keep at it.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I've played Celeste exclusively with the Joy-Con grip, it's not always ideal but I've gotten most of the b sides done with it.

Can anyone speak to going from joy con grip to switch pro controller and if it made much of a difference?

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking did it. Literally as the bus was pulling up to my stop to drop me off at work. But I did it.

19 hours. 7766 deaths.

I told you guys, I'm not good. I'm just stubborn.

And there's obviously a secret still hidden in the final room so I guess I'm going back in on my evening commute

Oct 28, 2017
I did Farewell before doing 8b or any of the c-sides. Honestly, I think that anyone who can get through 7b can absolutely get through Farewell too if they just keep at it.
Doesn't Farewell force you to have beaten all the C sides to proceed? I assumed so because it has that gate where you need x amount of hearts. I assumed that would be a c side requirement.

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm. Ok I'm stuck again have no idea what the game wants me to do. I saw the bird again and beat a feather section. The room I am at the moment has a massive wall of spikes in the middle that squeezes in but when I dash it goes out. I can navigate through this but then I don't see how I'm meant to get up to the exit in the top right corner.

Lmao never mind I was over thinking it I got it.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Working on the final room. This is going to take some time.

Edit: This much time, to be precise. 2,355 deaths in total.

Final level spoilers:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me this final secret is a pain in the ass.

First you have to complete the last room, which I can do pretty consistently now, but it takes a solid 90 seconds (haven't timed it, but it feels like forever). Then you get to actually start working on it. This is a real test of my mental fortitude.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the DLC. Final room wasn't too hard, it was mostly the length that made it tough to complete.

Overall, Farewell was pretty good. The Jellyfish mechanic was awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
I timed it. It takes me 2:05 to get to the power box in the final room. Which means that every time I fuck up something stupid on the climb back up it costs me two whole fucking minutes (at least) just to try again.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on this jellyfish 5 key room for about a week and decided to pull up a youtube walkthrough just to see how far along I am...

welp

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Best advice I have for the dash jump everyone is complaining about is to separate the dashing from the jump. I was very unsuccessful at first because I'd hold the dash button then try jumping. Now I hit dash, let go then hit jump and nail the execution every time. This holds true for the dash up wall jumping. See if that helps yas.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. I've successfully climbed out of the top of the farewell room. Now I'm in a crazy vertical jellyfish climb room. How much more is there?

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Everytime I see this thread pull up I always think of Celeste pizza. Anyone else? Or is that just a me thing?