• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
That was nice.

I turned on assist mode features around the third screen, of course. Perhaps later I will attempt to complete it without them, if I make the surprising discovery that I am immortal.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Very rusty here, as well. But slowly making progress.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
When I go to the Journal to the last page. I see the name of every Crystal Hearts.
I can also move them up and down... making me think that I can make a poem with them.

Is there something to do there ?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 10 screens in and can't remember how to propel myself off one of these moving blocks. I know you can do it I just can't remember what to press

This has been a deeply unsatisfying way to spend my very limited game time lol. I havent played this game in well over a year, how am I supposed to do this

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a few screens into this weird new
fish
mechanic. This is super fun. This might be my favorite game of all time.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh boy was able to get to
The first heart and the gate where you need all B-Sides. Never did Chapter 8 B-Side so I guess I'm done

Decided to look at the final parts and
EEESnB5W4AAZglo

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Earlier on it looks like the path
splits where you can take the upper route if you have some skill. Is that just a shortcut a few screens or a totally different and lengthy part of the chapter?

Oct 25, 2017
Earlier on it looks like the path
splits where you can take the upper route if you have some skill. Is that just a shortcut a few screens or a totally different and lengthy part of the chapter?

That's literally where I am.

I just managed to make the upper route; you have to get a pixel-perfect wavedash and now I'm on the next screen. I have no idea where it goes.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got up to where the music changes so far, I like the jellyfish but I feel like they weren't taught to you as well as most of the other mechanics in the game, I had to look on youtube before I realized that dashing right before grabbing them gives you an extended dash. They needed another screen dedicated to teaching you that before throwing you into the deep end with the 5 key rooms

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
oh my god. my poor thumbs.

I'm up to the... third new mechanic?, and I just need to stop before I go insane.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
All A and B sides. I dunno whether or not there's another gate later on that will require all the C cides but it wouldn't surprise me.
there isn't.
Got up to where the music changes so far, I like the jellyfish but I feel like they weren't taught to you as well as most of the other mechanics in the game, I had to look on youtube before I realized that dashing right before grabbing them gives you an extended dash. They needed another screen dedicated to teaching you that before throwing you into the deep end with the 5 key rooms
I agree. I think the room prior to the key room hub is designed to make you dash grab one but it doesn't require you to recognize the boost you get. It didn't register for me and I was confused by the time had to get a key. I hope they alter that room to really drill it in.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
So like, is it alright to buy this for the switch if I don't have a pro controller since I think this game is best played with a d-pad?

That 9.99 sale is very tempting though. Anyone here playing this with joycon only?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
So like, is it alright to buy this for the switch if I don't have a pro controller since I think this game is best played with a d-pad?

That 9.99 sale is very tempting though. Anyone here playing this with joycon only?

I play with joystick, it worked perfectly fine on joycons. Though i did just buy a pro controller and did chapter 9 with it.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Okay I was wrong, you don't need all B sides for the gate in chapter 9, just the first 7. I didn't realize that I never picked up the heart in 7A so now I need to do that instead of 8B which has the same 15 heart gate.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's fine on joy cons, I beat everything, barring the golden strawberries, with them and mostly in portable and didn't have any issues

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I'm stuck on like the 3rd or 4th screen. I still remember how to do all the crazy moves, but my fingers just aren't doing them in the right order. This is going to take some time to get back into. LOL

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I play with joystick, it worked perfectly fine on joycons. Though i did just buy a pro controller and did chapter 9 with it.
It's fine on joy cons, I beat everything, barring the golden strawberries, with them and mostly in portable and didn't have any issues

Good to know :) I play Switch exclusively in portable mode so it's good to know that this game can also be well played on that mode.

I'll buy this later today.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
How do i climb ice walls again? One of these rooms obviously wants you to jump up them but i can't seem to gain any height on them by trying to wall hop a single wall.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
So I have been playing this game LTTP this past week, first time I've ever played it. Thought the game was phenomenal. Was excited as hell for Chapter 9. Saved unlocking and playing Chapter 8 until today so I could use that as a warm up since I knew Chapter 9 is supposed to be brutal. All well and good.

The whole "your other half leaves so you can't double dash without a crystal" thing annoyed me at first. I preferred how the game built on mechanics up til then instead of removing any or limiting them. I got used to it though and persevered. Not gonna lie... I was loving Chapter 9 at first. I really was. New story progression with Granny at the start hit home for me, the difficulty was ridiculous but not overbearing, and it was fun. I ran into one thing I had to look up how to do; which wasn't my fault because it needed me to use the fast falling mechanic, a mechanic that isn't taught. Fair play, they probably assumed you'd hold down at some point and figure out you can do that. I didn't, so I didn't know. Whatever.

...then it got to a point where there's a lot of trial and error, which they try to mitigate with the binoculars (some of which are hidden, albeit not impossibly so) but some rooms inexplicably just don't have them, and then you hit
the false finish, and the game throws up a collectible progress gate. I hate that they made a point of saying "all you need to do is beat Chapter 8" all the way up until today. I only got 4 crystals because I don't have any interest in the B-Sides or C-Sides. The core game was paced and curved on difficulty in just the right way for me. I just wanted to get to Chapter 8 (and thus Chapter 9) and I thought some of the Crystal Heart puzzles were cute diversions. But this just completely took the wind out of my sails. I fought all the way through those first bits and then now I'm told "go play the whole game again" which completely destroys any semblance of pacing on this and breaks the groove of the difficulty.

I ended up watching the story stuff on YouTube which made it even more bittersweet because I loved all of it and it made me tear up a lot and I hate that it's locked behind all of that. But I know when I'm beat, and just don't have an interest in doing the extra content to unlock the story ending on my own, I guess. Ah well.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
So I have been playing this game LTTP this past week, first time I've ever played it. Thought the game was phenomenal. Was excited as hell for Chapter 9. Saved unlocking and playing Chapter 8 until today so I could use that as a warm up since I knew Chapter 9 is supposed to be brutal. All well and good.

The whole "your other half leaves so you can't double dash without a crystal" thing annoyed me at first. I preferred how the game built on mechanics up til then instead of removing any or limiting them. I got used to it though and persevered. Not gonna lie... I was loving Chapter 9 at first. I really was. New story progression with Granny at the start hit home for me, the difficulty was ridiculous but not overbearing, and it was fun. I ran into one thing I had to look up how to do; which wasn't my fault because it needed me to use the fast falling mechanic, a mechanic that isn't taught. Fair play, they probably assumed you'd hold down at some point and figure out you can do that. I didn't, so I didn't know. Whatever.

...then it got to a point where there's a lot of trial and error, which they try to mitigate with the binoculars (some of which are hidden, albeit not impossibly so) but some rooms inexplicably just don't have them, and then you hit
the false finish, and the game throws up a collectible progress gate. I hate that they made a point of saying "all you need to do is beat Chapter 8" all the way up until today. I only got 4 crystals because I don't have any interest in the B-Sides or C-Sides. The core game was paced and curved on difficulty in just the right way for me. I just wanted to get to Chapter 8 (and thus Chapter 9) and I thought some of the Crystal Heart puzzles were cute diversions. But this just completely took the wind out of my sails. I fought all the way through those first bits and then now I'm told "go play the whole game again" which completely destroys any semblance of pacing on this and breaks the groove of the difficulty.

I ended up watching the story stuff on YouTube which made it even more bittersweet because I loved all of it and it made me tear up a lot and I hate that it's locked behind all of that. But I know when I'm beat, and just don't have an interest in doing the extra content to unlock the story ending on my own, I guess. Ah well.
I've seen that you can skip the barrier if you wave dash on the higher ledge right before it falls.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
I'm not terribly far in, but chapter 9 is amazing so far. All of the mechanics I've seen so far have been really neat, and that early room with five key blocks feels like a much better implementation of what chapter 5 was going for. I kind of doubt it'll measure up to the base game's narrative, but mechanically, I think this might be the best chapter, even without having seen all of it yet. Regrabbing jellyfish for more speed is so satisfying.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Ended finally grabbing this for $7!

While I want to play it, grabbed it mostly so that my partner could play it.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I learned a lot about the timing for the super wall jump in the room with the arrow block that you have to wavedash superjump grab then spring into another superwall jump then grab. It took me so long to pass the room though.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Probably gonna take a month and will likely double my death count to 50000, but I'll finish chapter 9 without assist mode.

It is also depressing to see someone get the new tech right away while you struggled for 40 minutes in the same screen...

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
going right or down instead of wave dashing, or some other infuriating thing where it just doesnt give the dash back because you were a bit too slow is getting maddening.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've made it to the last 3rd with the colored blocks nearing 4000 deaths and definitely over 7 hours, minimum. I'm going insane with this shit. How do people clear this in much less?

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Love the new mechanics so far! Wasn't convinced by the very first screens, but now it feels like a proper Celeste chapter. In love all over again.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
The new mechanics are so much fun, but jesus my left thumb really hurts, some rooms took me like 30 mins to finally accomplish.

Oooh boy was able to get to
The first heart and the gate where you need all B-Sides. Never did Chapter 8 B-Side so I guess I'm done

Decided to look at the final parts and
EEESnB5W4AAZglo

Hahaha, my thoughts exactly =p

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap, I was not prepared for how long chapter 9 is. I was at it for 3 hours and still didn't finish it.

I passed the heart gate a long time ago, and I have no idea how much more there is to go. Some of these rooms are brutally difficult, but on the plus side I'm slowly getting better at wave dashes and wall kicks. The fire and ice orbs from the core continue to be my least favorite mechanic. I'm kinda bummed that the jellyfish didn't stick around longer, but maybe they'll be back eventually.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I'm going crazy.

This room is a nightmare in handheld mode on Switch for me. I understand what I must do but impossible to do it. I can't have the momentum necessary and always die in the spikes on the right after the wallkick.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going crazy.

This room is a nightmare in handheld mode on Switch for me. I understand what I must do but impossible to do it. I can't have the momentum necessary and always die in the spikes on the right after the wallkick.

That room was very hard for me too.

I ended up timing my initial wave dash to start when the moving block was first reaching the second from last stalactite. I also did a standing wavedash (I.e. no jump to start) because I think they move faster and flatter.

Also, not to be too discouraging, but you have to do another wall kick off a spring at the end of that room.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Well I got it. Surprisingly.
Damn. I will post something here everytime I'm stuck, seems like it gave me luck for whatever reason.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As silly as it sounds, I'm more invested in the story/music than the actual gameplay. I'm not sure I have it in me to pick this game back up considering I didn't want to touch B-C sides of the base game.

So kinda sucks how locked down this is reading, especially when I still need to go look for the hearts to unlock Chapter 8. Guess I'll watch a lets play or something?

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Well, 3000 deaths and 9 hours later.... I used assist mode for the first time and skipped the last third of chapter 9.
I really enjoyed myself until that point (The room that Zlug posted about is what broke me), and I'm glad I finished the chapter for the story, music, and game design, but it was just too difficult by the end. I felt completely broken and couldn't even convince myself to try with some of the later rooms.
Apparently there are several super difficult secrets in chapter 9 too? No way that's happening.
If you haven't finished the C sides because they're too hard, you are really going to struggle with end game chapter 9. Because it gets harder.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
There's been a tenner in my account for an age waiting to be spent on something I missed/wanted and I'm so hyped to *finally* get this. Played up to the this morning and it feels so good so far. Here's hoping my old -ass fingers can keep up with it!