• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Wow, this chapter just keeps getting better and better. The formal introduction to wavedashing is fantastic! (I'm awful at it though)

I think I'm going to have to really limit how much I play each night. This seems like a recipe for hurting my hands.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't realized there was gonna be a DLC chapter. The thread title change intrigued me. Is this free DLC?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
2005 deaths, and six hours later...

69925897_2476146982661653_2869786298376257536_o.jpg

Shoutout to that final room, which lasted two minutes without a checkpoint and alone took an entire hour to beat.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Aw dangit, seriously?

I got super hype to play the new chapter. Enjoyed my time with Celeste, but don't have enough time to totally punish myself to find secret collectibles.

Argh.
If you use a guide they'll take maybe 10 minutes to collect. But if you aren't interested in punishing yourself then this probably isn't for you, it's much harder than any of the levels in the base game

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Well shit, tried to play this last night and I guess I can't because I didn't do chapter 8. Rip. Guess I don't deserve to play it since I didn't get the hearts lol. At least there's still a ton of content for me to return to when I want

If you use a guide they'll take maybe 10 minutes to collect. But if you aren't interested in punishing yourself then this probably isn't for you, it's much harder than any of the levels in the base game

Oooh hmmm, maybe I do dis

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I somehow lost my save with all the a-b-c sides done and all hearts. in the last year

No worries, i just grabbed a 100% save from the internet. I need that chapter 9 torture man.

Nov 8, 2017

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

I never felt truly and utterly hopeless throughout the main game...so...we'll see. Thanks, again!

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Stuck in the big room with several key blocks. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Hints welcome.

Edit: there was.

Last edited:

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this chapter just keeps getting better and better. The formal introduction to wavedashing is fantastic! (I'm awful at it though)

I'm at the spot where this mechanic gets introduced as well and it already gets really tough after just a few screens (when it expects you to string it with a wall jump).

It feels like I'm doing fighting game combos now.

Oct 25, 2017
I just got past the five keys and I'm trying to do a vertical climb right now with a bunch of falling walls and spikes. I don't know much further I've got to go but it feels like it's just starting to get to the upper end of B-side difficulty.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I only got like 6 screens in and turned on assist mode for the first time ever. I did everything in the game but a couple C-sides when i first got it but i'm too rusty for this now and i really wasn't looking for some crazy difficulty escalation with the dlc, i just wanted a nice epilogue that was back at A-side simplicity to put a bow on the experience.

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck is this PowerPoint business?

The Muzak version of the soundtrack in that moment is amazing.

Edit: Oh shit I'm actually going to have to hit consistent wavedashes huh.

Edit 2: The screen where all I had to do was hit three in a row just kicked my ass for ten straight minutes before I cleared it. I get the feeling I'm in for some shit.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017
I was wondering if someone could help me, I'm stuck.

I got to the first white heart in chapter 9 and then I follow the bird to the next screen and this big wall pops up and it only highlights 4 hearts and doesn't let me pass. What am I missing to where I can't get through?

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I was wondering if someone could help me, I'm stuck.

I got to the first white heart in chapter 9 and then I follow the bird to the next screen and this big wall pops up and it only highlights 4 hearts and doesn't let me pass. What am I missing to where I can't get through?

You either need to collect 11 more crystal hearts by completing the rest of the hidden blue ones and then completing 7 B-Side stages, or you need to
skip the door by wavedashing underneath it. Wavedashing is taught to you later in this level, but there's a youtube clip on the last couple pages of this thread somewhere showing the skip

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I'm absolutely loving this so far, It's really hard, but I'm up for it... buttt...

I'm in one of the rooms maybe 6 or 7 screens after the key rooms. One of the horizontal ones with a bunch of Jellyfish and gates you have to throw them into.
I get the first two jump pretty consistently, but then you get to the 3rd where I imagine you have to throw the jellyfish, grab the wall to make it fall, and then grab the jellyfish again. I can't figure out how to do this correctly, Been here for 45 minutes lol

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm absolutely loving this so far, It's really hard, but I'm up for it... buttt...

I'm in one of the rooms maybe 6 or 7 screens after the key rooms. One of the horizontal ones with a bunch of Jellyfish and gates you have to throw them into.
I get the first two jump pretty consistently, but then you get to the 3rd where I imagine you have to throw the jellyfish, grab the wall to make it fall, and then grab the jellyfish again. I can't figure out how to do this correctly, Been here for 45 minutes lol

If it's the one I think, throw the jellyfish at the wall you're going to grab, not the spring. It will bounce off the wall, then hit the spring, then bounce back, and this gives you more time to get lined up to dash up into it as it passes back through the gap.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
If it's the one I think, throw the jellyfish at the wall you're going to grab, not the spring. It will bounce off the wall, then hit the spring, then bounce back, and this gives you more time to get lined up to dash up into it as it passes back through the gap.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Didn't want to look up a video to see exactly what to do, been trying to go through this blind

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Holy moly, finally finished Farewell after 7 hours and over 2,000 deaths. Looking back at my stats, Farewell is longer than the rest of the game combined, including all of the B sides! What an amazing addition to my favorite game from last year.

I loved the last screen with its gratuitous use of jellyfish regrabs and the way it felt like it would just never end. I was floored the first time the screen started scrolling up at what I thought was near the end.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus I thought the last room was bad but if you do this:

Go left after breaking the electric box at the end

You can make it TWICE as bad.

*cries in completionist*

TlJXClx.png

Either way, it's over. If someone like me who sucks at, and doesn't really play platformers like this can beat all the a/b/c sides and this chapter (without assist mode i should add), you can do it too. It speaks for just how accessible this game is in the long run.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It. Just. Keeps. Going.

*under his breath* okay, wavedash, wallbounce, dodge the spikes, grab the crystal, grab the wall, wallbounce again around the far side of the wall, and...well thats as far as we've gotten so we'll figure it out from there...

I'm not good at this game. I'm just like Madeline. I'm just too stubborn to quit.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I've gone through so much and yet when I looked up the full run on youtube, the room I'm on is only halfway through the video. 😭

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to gauge how far in I am. I'm a little ways past the big room with 5 locks, currently doing one with a moving platform with a spring that you need to bounce off an exploding fish and get through a crystal maze.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not much further than you, my friend. We both have a long way to go.

You're close to the first real story/moment of the level though.

Trails

Oct 28, 2017
Finally it's done, 7,5h/2300deaths.

This is honestly perfect ending and a true farewell. I've played Celeste a lot, I had 60+ hours before Chapter 9. I got all C-side golden strawberries and even after not playing in months I could go back and beat any stage without problems. So with that said, when I heard of this Chapter 9 being released I never thought it would end up being so challenging and difficult. Farewell is without a doubt beyond c-sides in difficulty, there's many tricky screens but it's the sheer lenght that elevates the difficulty. Exhaustion and diminishing focus really kicks in sooner or later. Another thing I want to mention is the mechanics. I always felt the original game didn't explore game mechanics thoroughly and thus felt incomplete in that regard. Chapter 9 fixes that and feels like there's no stones left unturned.

Celeste was already an all-time classic and Farewell is the final touch. Legendary. In this day and age, it is unfathomable to think of what has been given as a free dlc. This shows the passion of the developer, Farewell is released because it's needed, not because of greed. I've been gaming 30 years and Farewell gives me hope. A proof that there still exist pure passion in game development. Someday someone else will make it happen again...and I'll be waiting.

Thank You

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'll try to finish the B sides (and probably tackle the C sides) before trying this last chapter. It's going to take a while.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
I'm not liking the new levels...

Something about the execution, especially the glider, feels off. There is too much room for error in some sections.
The base game felt more cohesive and pixel perfect.

Dunno if this makes any sense...

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Was going to give the new level a go, but my save file has disappeared and I don't really have the time to go through the entire game again right now. Maybe when I've got a gap in my schedule.

May 9, 2018
I am happy they backed off the complete-all-C-sides requirement to access Farewell because that was insane, but I am even more surprised they kept the difficulty unchanged in lieu of that.

I got stuck on the 3rd room like others, and apparently that's the easy room?

Oct 25, 2017
There's still a requirement to get to 15 hearts (the gate appears partway through Chapter 9) so it won't let you keep going unless you're pretty committed to the game.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I'm not liking the new levels...

Something about the execution, especially the glider, feels off. There is too much room for error in some sections.
The base game felt more cohesive and pixel perfect.

Dunno if this makes any sense...
No idea what you mean. What rooms are you going through where there's too much room for error?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
(reaches final room)

(looks into periscope)

(turns off system)

I need to be in the right state of mind for this.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Making progress of about two screens per day. This was my game of the year last year so it's kind of unfortunate that I'm not really enjoying this

Oct 25, 2017
If I was to criticize this, jamming it into one super long level of insane difficulty wasn't really the wisest choice. Breaking it into the traditional A/B/C structure would at least make it more accessible.

I still haven't finished it of course. I expect it's going to take a while.