• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Making me wavedash perfectly three times in succession in DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS was not cool. Somehow wavedashing left just breaks my brain. And I imagine I still have a loooong way to go lol.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If I was to criticize this, jamming it into one super long level of insane difficulty wasn't really the wisest choice. Breaking it into the traditional A/B/C structure would at least make it more accessible.

I still haven't finished it of course. I expect it's going to take a while.
Yeah, I kinda wish it'd been broken down like this as well.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I kinda wish it'd been broken down like this as well.
I disagree. Each section has a mood and piece of the story. The varied introduction of old and new mechanics and building tech play a role in building this mood. It's not something you could easily divorce from the music and room design and place all in an easier and shorter a side. The level is already like an a, b, and c side in that order complete with the beat block section at the end of the "b" side and an marathon room at the end of the C side section. Assist mode is there for you FOMO folks.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Which would be fine if that was a requirement to access the level.

Second the suggestion that they should have broken this out into A/B/C accordingly. Make A "easy" for the story, B and C for the insanity.
The chapter ramps up in difficulty much like A/B/C progression would. I think they probably put it all in one continuous chapter without breaking it up for story purposes. The difficulty of Celeste has always been thematically tied to the plot. If they broke it up into A/B/C sides then they would have had to either cram all the plot moments much more closely together in the A side (and place those plot moments beside gameplay challenges that were much easier than they intended while writing it) or they would have needed to have plot in the B and C side which doesn't happen anywhere else in the game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Each section has a mood and piece of the story. The varied introduction of old and new mechanics and building tech play a role in building this mood. It's not something you could easily divorce from the music and room design and place all in an easier and shorter a side. The level is already like an a, b, and c side in that order complete with the beat block section at the end of the "b" side and an marathon room at the end of the C side section. Assist mode is there for you FOMO folks.
To be fair, I haven't gotten that far into it just because even early on, it's been a brick wall. It's probably because I've been away from the game for like a year, so it feels like it starts off really damn hard (relatively speaking). I finished all the A/B/C content without assists, so it's not like I'm shit at these games. But boy do I feel that way right now. LOL

Oct 25, 2017

I also haven't finished this yet, but what I will say is that the base game was deeply meaningful for a lot of people who only could finish the A sides and would never even want to touch the B sides and probably never even knew there were C sides. It must be very disappointing for them to come back to this hoping for more and being blocked off from that.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I went through the game again as a refresher. Just as awesome as I remembered.

But Farewell is kinda shit. This jellyfish shit fucking sucks. I guess it's just for the hardcore players of this game. I'll go watch the ending or whatever on YouTube. It's taken me forever to reach this part and apparently I'm still early on into this chapter lol. Forget this.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
As a counterpoint? The jellyfish rules and is probably my favorite mechanic in the game. It's so much fun to surf that thing, throw it and catch it again, etc. I'm a fan.

The other fish are kinda meh; they're just a flavor of bumper. But the jellyfish is completely new and I personally like it a lot.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The use of the double purple gem as a "temporary no dashes" rule (because any use of a dash resets you to one, and the end of a room requires both) was a clever twist. I think it's only used twice but I really liked that.

The Jellyfish is a great mechanic BUT the game didn't do a great job teaching it, I think. Once you understand it fully, it's pretty great.

Nov 5, 2017
I got to the part where you need to use the different dash types and they give you the dash tutorial and my progress has some to a screeching halt. I don't know if I just can't coordinate well enough or if it's my analog stick being a little worn down, but I can barely do one dash, let alone a series of them. It took me over an hour just to do the tutorial part when you first learn it and have to follow the AI doing it. If I couldn't even barely do that, then I suspect I'm in a world of trouble actually completing this without assist.

If the rest of the game is going to require complex series of these dashes, then I'm done for. I'll try a new unopened controller to see if it helps any better, but for the life of me I can't get these dashes and button combinations to execute them down. My brain gets all confused and I spaz out. And I didn't have trouble at all with the base Celeste game Chapters 1-8, nor did I have too much trouble in Chapter 9 to this point. But I guess as gamers we all have our strengths and weaknesses and these dashes may be my undoing. I've always sucked at button combination presses, I guess it's why I never was any good at Fighting games.

I wanna beat it legit, so if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it. Also, I'm assuming that going forward I will need to seamlessly integrate these jumps in en masse off and on depending on the screens?

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
I got to the part where you need to use the different dash types and they give you the dash tutorial and my progress has some to a screeching halt. I don't know if I just can't coordinate well enough or if it's my analog stick being a little worn down, but I can barely do one dash, let alone a series of them. It took me over an hour just to do the tutorial part when you first learn it and have to follow the AI doing it. If I couldn't even barely do that, then I suspect I'm in a world of trouble actually completing this without assist.

If the rest of the game is going to require complex series of these jumps, then I'm done for. I'll try a new unopened controller to see if it helps any better, but for the life of me I can't get these jumps down. My brain gets all confused and I spaz out. And I didn't have trouble at all with the base Celeste game Chapters 1-8, nor did I have too much trouble in Chapter 9 to this point. But I guess as gamers we all have our strengths and weaknesses and these dashes may be my undoing. I've always sucked at button combination presses, I guess it's why I never was any good at Fighting games.

I wanna beat it legit, so if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it. Also, I'm assuming that going forward I will need to seamlessly integrate these jumps in en masse off and on depending on the screens?
If it took you an hour you are probably doing a hyperdash instead of a wavedash. They have similar trajectories and speed but a wavedash regains your dash prior to leaving the ground. Check your hair color after doing the dash. If it's blue you didnt perform it correctly and need to dash into the ground from higher off the ground.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018

If the rest of the game is going to require complex series of these dashes, then I'm done for. I'll try a new unopened controller to see if it helps any better, but for the life of me I can't get these dashes and button combinations to execute them down. My brain gets all confused and I spaz out. And I didn't have trouble at all with the base Celeste game Chapters 1-8, nor did I have too much trouble in Chapter 9 to this point. But I guess as gamers we all have our strengths and weaknesses and these dashes may be my undoing. I've always sucked at button combination presses, I guess it's why I never was any good at Fighting games.

Yeah, just about every room going forward is going to want you to wavedash or super walljump or both. Have you tried practicing the wavedash with the d-pad instead of the stick to see if it's any easier? Only time I use the stick in this game is in rooms with the feathers and I hate every second of it lol.

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, just about every room going forward is going to want you to wavedash or super walljump or both. Have you tried practicing the wavedash with the d-pad instead of the stick to see if it's any easier? Only time I use the stick in this game is in rooms with the feathers and I hate every second of it lol.

I'll try, that might help, but I think my issue is tying them together. For example, I can execute one solo wavedash. But when I have to follow it immediately up with another, or a hyperdash or walljump... or even a combination of 3 in a row my brain gets all flustered and I can't coordinate. I just wish it wasn't a series of button presses to execute these. I mean I guess that would make it too easy or whatever, but I think it's tying together multiple button combinations is what gets me.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. Incredible feeling of triumph at the end.

It's interesting how "static" the number of deaths appears to be among ResetEra (all?) players? I've seen around 2,000 for most people, myself certainly included.

70825314_10115927463781721_8713431901240557568_o.jpg

Edit:

2005 deaths, and six hours later...

Shoutout to that final room, which lasted two minutes without a checkpoint and alone took an entire hour to beat.
OMG I BEAT YOU BY ONE

Edit edit:

Jesus I thought the last room was bad but if you do this:

Go left after breaking the electric box at the end

You can make it TWICE as bad.
Wait, what happens?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I'm going to come in waaaay over that. This was my evening:

yes I got revenge about ten minutes later - that room was awful for me

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I don't like when DLC comes out way later and immediately expects you to be as good as you were when you beat the game.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
Didn't know you had to beat ch8 to play the dlc. Collected all the crystal hearts this evening. It was a good way to get myself back into the game.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Made it through with some 2,800 deaths. So many rooms were just spent trying to figure out how to beat them, not execution! It was practically a puzzle platformer. What a great way to end it, and the extra bit of challenge hidden away near the end was incredibly satisfying.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, trying to execute multiple wavedashes with a half broken left Joycon doesn't make sense at all. It just makes me angry at Nintendo for producing this crap controller. And I can't adjust to D-Pad at this point when I played through all A/B/C-Sides with the stick.

A shame because I really wanted to play this while I'm currently on travel. But guess I have to wait til I get home where I have my Pro Controller.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
No idea what you mean. What rooms are you going through where there's too much room for error?

Some of the glider levels are very sensitive to when you release your glider, in order to bounce it correctly to a wall or to glide through some spikes.
I don't know if it's just me, but the base game never had any levels where you are dependent on the movement of an object.
The bomb fish is different because it can only move in fixed directions (up/down/left/right with a fixed amount).

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a video of Farewell. The story is pretty hard hitting, and Madeline talking about how Granny's death triggered her anxiety, so she didn't respond to Theo, but then she got anxiety about the fact that she didn't respond to him for so long so then she continued to not respond, etc. really hits home with some people I know. But yeah, no way am I going to play through all this. The level looked insane.

Oct 25, 2017
Feathers can fuck right off.

...and this room has a giant spike jaw. I think I'm happy with my progress this morning.

Pro tip: don't play like I do. My gaming happens mostly on my commutes to/from work. I play handheld, using joycons, on a moving bus. I don't recommend it.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Finished it last night with 2199 deaths. Some of those wavedash-heavy rooms near the end were utterly brutal. Honestly, as long as it was, the last room was a bit of a relief, since jellyfish regrabs feel pretty easy compared to landing consecutive wavedashes. Overall, it was a really amazing chapter and a great way to end the game.

Now I just need to get the moon berry, which looks like it's going to be a rough time.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Finished with 3300 deaths. I blame using the joy-cons for a lot of those.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to say it, but I think I've hit the point where I'm okay just watching the ending on YouTube.

Not to say insult the people who made this great game, but I feel like making this DLC free was the right decision.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, past the first "heart" and in the room with the first grumble block or whatever you call them. Spacing this out a bit so I don't expect to finish soon, but enjoying it so far. Wavedashing is a bit of a pain, but so were wall kicks initially, and I got the hang of those.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like an absolute lemon here, I beat the c sides yet can't figure out the first room with the binoculars like 4 or 5 main rooms into chapter 9, in my head ive I've got the idea (keep pink hair for the final spring) but the one falling block you can grab onto the left side of with a spring on its right just has me flumoxed, like I've forgotten a key mechanic to get me onto its spring without air dashing

Curse them for this free content, my game was complete! And now its not and it only gets more hellish apparently!

Just tried it. Man, these new screens really make you think. I got to the screen where some fish first appear, I'll continue tomorrow

Fast falling is your friend
This post saved my sanity.

THIS GAME HAD FAST FALLING ALL THIS TIME AND I NEVER KNEW OR NOTICED?!

Last edited:

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Woohoo! Another 255 deaths and I got the moon berry. That room was bonkers. There's a spot about halfway up where you have to bounce a jellyfish on some springs and it killed me so many times. I'm not even convinced my strat for getting through was intended. Did anyone find a clean way up there? I had to jelly grab up to the pink crystal, turn left, then turn right just before hitting the wall, toss the jelly right, then turn left again and dash onto the wall. It felt so grimy.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing the trend of this games level gimmick/mechanics being damn good, these bouncy fish and jelly fish combine with the base air dash in such a strong way.
so many ideas that I'd honestly love to see poached by a less spiky death land style platformer.

reached the point where the music went super classical (top tier track potential!) , figure I'll take a breather here.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm essentially blogging my trip through this at this point.

FUCK this "hit three wavedashes with the wind in your face" bullshit

Edit: Okay I got through it. Finally found the rhythm. Thank heaven this room has a checkpoint halfway through.

Last edited:

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I am making pretty steady progress at about 4 - 5 rooms a day when I have time to play. The wavedash/walldash mechanics get ridiculous when they keep adding them together and adding more and more precise timing.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing Celeste again and cleared the Core's B-side finally. Very satisfying.

Now I'm trying to tie up loose ends before doing the new DLC, and I was wondering if someone could refresh me on this: when grabbing a regular strawberry, do I only need to clear the "screen" for it to stick (and then safely back out to the map), or do I need to complete the entire stage?

Thanks in advance.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It's funny because I feel like I'm constantly finding the most complicated way to solve these levels.

You're the only person I've seen who stalls then catches up to the moving arrow platform; every other person including myself that I've seen gets way ahead of it by blowing up the fish and then timing a dash to stall while it catches up and grabbing the side of it.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
You're the only person I've seen who stalls then catches up to the moving arrow platform; every other person including myself that I've seen gets way ahead of it by blowing up the fish and then timing a dash to stall while it catches up and grabbing the side of it.
I guess it's a good thing that a platformer as tough as this one actually allows for a little bit of creativity.

mercviper

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
did not know you could do it that way and it makes a lot more sense than how i did it
Funny I did it weegian's way too and when I saw my brother do it the way you describe I thought wow that makes so much sense.

Slight variation on avoiding the fish

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
There's something about the pufferfish that's just so perfect. Hit them from above and you bounce off them. Miss your mark and the thing EXPLODES, flinging you to your spiky doom.