• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
I cant find any news from the Xbox One patch ( chapter 9 ). Is there any new info lately?

I first played trough the game on Switch, but i lost all my save data. This year i got Celeste with Gold and played it all over again - and still installed on my Xbox with the precious save file. : ]

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've finally done it. After 3827 deaths I finally beat ch. 9. Phew. That final section made my heartrate spike. Now I feel exhausted lol
What an incredible extra chapter (and finale) to an already incredible game. Soo much creativity on display in the level design. And while sections could feel tough as nails they always felt beatable. Kudos to the devs.

Oct 28, 2017
Up to the final room! Well I assume it's the final room. "This is it" makes it sound like the final room. Haven't attempted it get. But I have looked at it with the binoculars. That's one long room! Good lord that just kept scrolling.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
You should play Ecco the Dolphin.
giphy.gif

... Please, don't remind me of Ecco the Dolphin.

Oublieux

Oct 27, 2017
I just started this game. It is amazing--reminds me of Super Meat Boy's trial and error approach but I sunk hours into that game.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Damn. A good controller you're comfortable with is SOOO important.

Got back into this game and it's a million times better with my new 8bitdo controller. Before I was using a PS4 controller that felt like any amount of side tilt on the d-pad NO MATTER HOW SLIGHT would turn the dash into a diagonal. It was fucking frustrating. Not a problem with my super nintendo-style controller. Its like night and day!! SNES controller is GOAT and this game now controls amazingly. I want to actually go for strawberries and do the B-sides now. Can't wait to try the DLC but, man, I'm loving this game so much more than when it came out just from that 1 controller change.

Oct 28, 2017
I gotta say this final room is really fun to slowly get through get further and further each time. I'm getting there. Gonna go to bed and take another crack tomorrow. It's not as intimidating as it was at first.

With that said I did expect the final room to be more of an ultimate test of everything you've learned. Not really the case. Just really testing you on your mastery of the jellyfish mechanic.

Last edited:

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
I did not understand what the game meant when it said that returning to map would restart you from the last checkpoint, so I had to redo from here to here when I dipped out to check my deaths to that point. Fortunately it went a good deal faster the second time around.

Still, I beat it in the end! This chapter had close to half my total deaths in this game (including clearing all B sides and two C sides), but that's okay!

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Damn 8C (edit uh 3C I mean. It was super late and I was delirious), this happened to me twice:

Last edited:

brink22

Feb 22, 2018
Just beat Ch 9 using Switch joycons, and anyone that beats this game using joycons deserves a medal.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
What are the checkpoints in Chapter 9? Because I'll have to leave to collect hearts eventually, and I really, really, really want to play something else to relax a bit and not do some rooms again.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
There are TONS of them (9 I think?). Look for the little mountain icon at the beginning of the screen to see if you're at one.
Thank you! Coincidentally, I just reached the 15 hearts wall... Talk about a relief. Welp, still need to actually collect those hearts, but man I really needed to take a breather.
That fucking room beforehand with the pixel-perfect jump on the blowfish.................. Seriously, Chapter 9 is interesting, but it borders on sadism.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat chapter 9. 2828 deaths. It felt like way more.

Not sure if I'll go back for the moon berry. Definitely not going back for the golden berry. Will probably put the game aside for a short while to play other things though.

Deleted member 36382

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Finally beat Chapter 9!

Ended with roughly 2800 deaths. I almost threw in the towel at the last screen when I saw how long you had to go without dying.

To anyone else contemplating stoping at the last screen, don't! You can do it!

Phenomenal game overall.

Playing Hollow Knight, Celeste and Cuphead on the Switch has been a great indie trio. Can't wait to add Ori to that group too!

Oct 28, 2017
Finally beat Chapter 9!

Ended with roughly 2800 deaths. I almost threw in the towel at the last screen when I saw how long you had to go without dying.

Phenomenal game overall.

Playing Hollow Knight, Celeste and Cuphead on the Switch has been a great indie trio. Can't wait to add Ori to that group too!
Last screen wasn't as intimidating as many other screens. It was long but always seemed reasonable.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Slow progression here. I'm trying to only play it a little every day to avoid getting burned out (and my hands are developping cramps, so there's that).
B-side: Chapters 1 to 6 completed.
C-side: No access yet.
Chapter 9: 15 Hearts Wall block.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Finally beat Chapter 9!

I had a similar death count for that chapter. I don't think any of the challenges in the last screen are especially tough, as the hardest thing about the screen is its length (and I'd say the challenges in the screen generally get easier as the level progresses...it's just disheartening how far back the level sends you upon death).

But maybe it's another story if someone attempts to get the Moon Berry. I dunno. I'm never going to bother.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Doing Summit B-side right now. Reached the part where they teach you how to wallbounce.
... Never knew it was a thing. It does need quite a couple tries to get the hang of it though. I had to read a description before actually pulling it off.

... Oh come on now. They don't expect me to do a "spike" jump, do they?

Oct 25, 2017
I had a similar death count for that chapter. I don't think any of the challenges in the last screen are especially tough, as the hardest thing about the screen is its length (and I'd say the challenges in the screen generally get easier as the level progresses...it's just disheartening how far back the level sends you upon death).

But maybe it's another story if someone attempts to get the Moon Berry. I dunno. I'm never going to bother.

The challenge with the Moon Berry is that first you have to complete the Farewell room, then you have to go back up it. The climb back actually isn't that hard but there are a couple of wavedashes to the left you have to pull off, and I found wavedashing left to be quite difficult for some reason.

The berry itself is in a separate room fortunately. It has its own long climb involving moving vertically with a jellyfish that I found really challenging.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Alright. Summit B-side done. Phew. Now to get the Crystal hearts in the regular levels.

... That will be a much needed break.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Started playing the game for the first time today. Beat the first two chapters (will go back for collectables and exploring stuff later). The music is fantastic, and the joy you get for finally completing a tough jump is beyond compare.

Only to be smacked in the face with another tough jump on the next screen. :P

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Started playing the game for the first time today. Beat the first two chapters (will go back for collectables and exploring stuff later). The music is fantastic, and the joy you get for finally completing a tough jump is beyond compare.

Only to be smacked in the face with another tough jump on the next screen. :P
Hehe... Hehehe... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Ha... Ha... ... Ha...

Sweet summer child... You don't have the faintiest idea of what is going to follow. Enjoy the current difficulty. Believe me, that won't last.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Finished chap 9 today, after wrapping up the couple b-sides I hadn't finished when I first played the game plus all the c-sides over the last week or two. Honestly it didn't feel that bad outside of a couple annoying rooms (although I still had just shy of 2900 deaths lol), but maybe that's just cause I came right off of the c-sides so I forgot how long 'normal' screens generally take lol....

Doesn't really need to be said at this point but this game is absolutely one of the best 2d platformers ever...completely nails everything it tries to do.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haha dang. 10 hours, 3700'ish deaths. That was super fun, too bad this is the last celeste content we'll get :(.

Im going for that moon berry next.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Doing Summit B-side right now. Reached the part where they teach you how to wallbounce.
... Never knew it was a thing. It does need quite a couple tries to get the hang of it though. I had to read a description before actually pulling it off.

... Oh come on now. They don't expect me to do a "spike" jump, do they?
If spike jump is what I'm thinking of, then no, cause I've never been able to do that. (Granted I've never looked into the trick to it, but I never had to use it in the game. I have the C sides left to do though)

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I'm currently playing Chapter 9 and I haven't played the C-Sides yet. Are the levels in C-Sides, especially obtaining Golden Strawberries, are harder than the levels in Chapter 9? Just curious.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I'm currently playing Chapter 9 and I haven't played the C-Sides yet. Are the levels in C-Sides, especially obtaining Golden Strawberries, are harder than the levels in Chapter 9? Just curious.
I didn't get unlock the C sides until chapter 9 came out (which made me get all the hearts finally), and have done 1-3 so far. They're pretty short (at least those three), just a few regular length rooms, then a long last room. They don't seem too crazy (again, so far), like they were a pleasant surprise after 9 defeated me a few times, cause I was expecting harder full levels like the B sides were.

If the rest are similar in difficulty then I think you'd be fine if you could handle the B sides and 9. For golden strawberries the short overall length helps, but the long last room means you gotta chain more stuff together than usual to finish them off.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The hardest C-side golden strawberry is easier than the easiest B-side golden strawberry. The levels are just so much shorter than the increase in difficulty doesn't mean that much.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I didn't get unlock the C sides until chapter 9 came out (which made me get all the hearts finally), and have done 1-3 so far. They're pretty short (at least those three), just a few regular length rooms, then a long last room. They don't seem too crazy (again, so far), like they were a pleasant surprise after 9 defeated me a few times, cause I was expecting harder full levels like the B sides were.

If the rest are similar in difficulty then I think you'd be fine if you could handle the B sides and 9. For golden strawberries the short overall length helps, but the long last room means you gotta chain more stuff together than usual to finish them off.
The hardest C-side golden strawberry is easier than the easiest B-side golden strawberry. The levels are just so much shorter than the increase in difficulty doesn't mean that much.
Ah, good to hear! I'll play the C Sides when I'm having burnout with chapter 9. The levels really kick me in the ass lol

Thanks!

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just recently started playing this and it's an absolute blast! Oh my god why did I sleep on it for so long? This is absolute god-tier. The design, the art style, music, story, secrets, twists. Everytime a mechanic feels like it's become a bit stale, they throw something new at you. I'm especially amazed at the absolute absence of any input lag whatsoever. It feels like NES/SNES games of my youth. I just finished the Mirror Temple and I just can't wait to see what's next! It succeeded at giving me shivers, something a game like this hadn't done since, like, Super Metroid. An absolute marvel!

Jan 11, 2018
Geesh this DLC is hard (not sure why I was expecting otherwise). I just cleared the giant room with all the locks. Already died hundreds of times easily, and it took me quite a while to figure out some of the "puzzles." Maybe I'm just rusty though... I put the game down last year after getting about half way through the C sides. I probably only just cleared the "easy" part of this chapter though didn't I?

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Farewell was super hard to get into when it's been a year since last playing Celeste. And I feel like the DLC was more about puzzle-solving than before, about figuring out just where to throw those jellyfish to bounce just right and where to pick them up again. I liked more when it was straight-forward platforming challenges. But maybe I just remember it wrong.

I sucked too compared to some of you guys in here. :D I ended up with 3000 deaths and more than 9 hours of playing.

I immediately restarted the chapter once I had finished it though, and it was more fun. Still ended up with a whopping 766 deaths on my second run though..

I can see myself playing it again though, just because it controls so frikkin' well and there's such freedom and personality to the movement.

70749473_10214022336502097_5876335376343236608_o.jpg

I just realized the DLC had no strawberries. I think they would have been nice to include.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yeah, Farewell was super hard to get into when it's been a year since last playing Celeste. And I feel like the DLC was more about puzzle-solving than before, about figuring out just where to throw those jellyfish to bounce just right and where to pick them up again. I liked more when it was straight-forward platforming challenges. But maybe I just remember it wrong.

I sucked too compared to some of you guys in here. :D I ended up with 3000 deaths and more than 9 hours of playing.

I immediately restarted the chapter once I had finished it though, and it was more fun. Still ended up with a whopping 766 deaths on my second run though..

I can see myself playing it again though, just because it controls so frikkin' well and there's such freedom and personality to the movement.

70749473_10214022336502097_5876335376343236608_o.jpg

I just realized the DLC had no strawberries. I think they would have been nice to include.
Did you try going left after breaking the last box?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I thought the base game was hard and gave up on b-sides after like one. Farewell sounds so stressful. I think I'll have to play with assist on.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Geesh this DLC is hard (not sure why I was expecting otherwise). I just cleared the giant room with all the locks. Already died hundreds of times easily, and it took me quite a while to figure out some of the "puzzles." Maybe I'm just rusty though... I put the game down last year after getting about half way through the C sides. I probably only just cleared the "easy" part of this chapter though didn't I?

Yes, I think Farewell gets dramatically harder after that room. The difficulty increases sharply after the level's wave dashing tutorial, as I recall, since Farewell doesn't require any advanced techniques prior to that point.