• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
2mU7Rv8.jpg

GENERAL INFO

Release Date: January 25th 2018 (January 26th on XB1)
Developer: Matt Makes Games Inc.
Publisher: Matt Makes Games Inc.
Platform(s): Steam, itch.io, Switch, PS4 and XB1
Price: $19.99​

WHAT IS CELESTE?

Here's what the developer says…​

"Help Madeline survive her inner demons on her journey to the top of Celeste Mountain, in this super-tight, hand-crafted platformer from the creators of multiplayer classic TowerFall. The controls are simple and accessible - simply jump, air-dash, and climb - but with layers of expressive depth to master, where every death is a lesson. Lightning-fast respawns keep you climbing as you uncover the mysteries of the mountain and brave its many perils."

Celeste was originally developed as a PICO-8 game, over the course of just four days, during a game jam. You can play the PICO-8/browser version here.​

FEATURES
  • A narrative-driven, single player-player adventure like mom used to make, with a charming cast of characters and a touching story of self-discovery
  • A massive mountain teeming with 600+ screens of hardcore platforming challenges and devious secrets
  • Brutal B-side chapters to unlock, built for only the bravest mountaineers
  • Assist Mode allows you to toggle on some accessibility features like extra air dashes, slower game speed and more!
  • IGF "Excellence in Audio" finalist, with over 2 hours of original music led by dazzling live piano and catchy synth beats
  • Pie

SCREENSHOTS

UJdt5ez.png
nvZjvUK.png
8TbJvIk.png
YK5Gg49.png

0rWPkSi.png
nsbmLEK.png

TRAILERS

PREVIEWS (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

CRITICAL RECEPTION

Ars Technica: Approved
Buy. Celeste is the first must-own single-player game of 2018.

Destructoid: 10/10
For the first time in ages, I have absolutely nothing to complain about. Celeste was everything I'd hoped for and then some.

Eurogamer: Recommended
...this is truly a game for everyone. Celeste is brutal, but it's also sweet, and in its handling of the two elements it finds both a touching, timely narrative and an enviable sense of balance. What a game.

Gamespot: 9/10
While the adventure starts relatively simply--jump this gap, grab this ledge, gather this collectible--the mountain soon lives up to its otherworldly billing by realizing Madeline's mental health issues.

IGN: 10/10
...the greatest triumph of Celeste is that its best-in-class jumping and dashing is blended beautifully with an important and sincere story and an incredible soundtrack that make it a genuinely emotional game, even when your feet are planted firmly on the ground.

Kotaku
I'll remember Celeste for a long time to come, thinking back on its mystical ruins and wind-swept peak. It's a joyous game brimming with hope and one of the best video game jumps ever.

PC Gamer: 80/100
(Celeste) wields difficulty in a meaningful way, but not in a way that will solely appeal to masochists and speedrunners.

Polygon: 8/10
Celeste reaches beyond, showing that tricky, well-designed platforming challenges are really just the tip of the iceberg. There's far more underneath the surface. And maybe that's worth dying for.

Seafoam Gaming: 9/10
Considering how the controls in this game are really, really tight, it becomes second nature to use the simple controls to conquer any challenge you come across, even if it seems absolutely absurd at first.

US Gamer: 4.5/5
It's the sort of game that makes you feel strong while playing it; if you can dash-jump through impossible holes between narrow icy spikes to climb that goddamn mountain, you can probably do anything.

Waypoint
...Celeste never feels like it's judging you. Instead, the game wants to give you a hug. It's strange to feel warmth from a game about dying, but here we are.

LINKS

LgUM4rw.jpg

This is it, Madeline. Just breathe. You can do this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16576

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So excited for this game! I loved Towerfall, and though the movement was near perfect. These developers know how to make polished games.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is the spacing of | OT | a reference?

May get this on the Switch sometime in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Looks great! Will probably pick it up a few weeks after release since I am getting 4 big named games over the next 2 weeks. Probably go PS4 for trophies.

OP
OP
sebco

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I should've known an emoji wouldn't work in the title...

Can a mod change the title to "Celeste |OT| Straw-belay"

Last edited:

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
sebco Excellent work on the OT!

Really excited to finally play this tomorrow. I've had my eye on it since the Switch reveal conference.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm buying it upon release. Can't wait my Meat Boy itch to be scratched.

Anyone knows How is It going to cost on steam?

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Day uno, doubt it will release at midnight in EU but i will sure look lol, will get it right after some appointment i have to go first to tommorow.

Game looks beautiful and gameplay looks fun.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Random tidbit: The original PICO-8 version has been ported to 3DS via SmileBasic. It was pretty neat.

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
Game looks cool and the switch factor means I'll probably pick this up. Side note was there another Game called Celeste (about the boat) that had gameboy style graphics?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I just devoured Iconoclasts, so now I'm ready for this.
btw, play Iconoclasts! It's incredible.

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Fun fact: "Pico" is the name of the tallest mountain in my country, Portugal! :D

I'm so excited for this game! It looks great! Also, Celeste is my grandma's name, lol.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OK, what aspect of the controls am I missing on the first screen of the Pico game? I can get to the far right ledge with a jump and a dash, but I can't get up and over to the left ledge.

This will be my next Switch game. And I'm picky about games I buy (only own Odyssey, Zelda, Stardew, Picross, and Puyo Puyo).

Jdevil99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely in for Switch version, the number of platforming games these next 2 months alone have me in heaven.

I just devoured Iconoclasts, so now I'm ready for this.
btw, play Iconoclasts! It's incredible.

Lord, I thought I made progress in it today at work on break, how long did it take you to play through if you don't mind me asking. I heard it's 12 to 14 hours, which is perfect for me.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Torn between the fact that Towerfall was a grand time of tight controls, and that my love for platformers falters somewhat when it comes to ones heavy on spike gauntlet tropes.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Looks cool, planning to check this out on Switch myself. Probably gonna get rekt, since I haven't played a really hard platformer in a while.