• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Look at this.

I just honestly don't have the mental energy to actually say anything to this besides how ignorant this entire post is lmao

If you disagree, you should probably take the effort to respond in a fairly respectful manner instead of just putting the person down and not actually addressing his post.

It's childish and does nothing to promote discussion. I shouldn't have to make this post. If we want to discuss (and disagree) with things like this, we need to treat each other with respect. Personal digs are not along those lines.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Look at this.

I just honestly don't have the mental energy to actually say anything to this besides how ignorant this entire post is lmao
Yes, reminds me of your posts and how you claim that if you just do this or that one thing in Dark Souls by flipping a second chance switch to on then it works, guaranteed, with no thought put into what effects it will have on the game experience whether you can then beat it easier or not like that's all there is to a game, beating it (because as you said there's more to a game than gameplay, lol), who cares about the actual player experience relying on, for a small amount of examples that barely scratch the surface, things like pacing, overcoming things that whether they are or aren't do feel like challenges, the tension from what feels like a looming threat, from intimidating looking characters actually being intimidating in practice rather than pushovers you button mash through, whatever else interconnects on every level from the lore to the details of gameplay. Game design is easy, anyone can do it from his armchair, lmao!!!!11oneoneleven! Who knows why games take years and tens or hundres of people to make, costs are probably just a hoax and game designers useless bums, anyone can be the next Miyazaki dude, literally anyone. Sucks this nice positive bit of news has to be marred with shitposting and trolling about completely unrelated games but oh well, that's the internet for you.

Last edited:

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of a funny statement, since both of those games do skill-based matchmaking specifically to accommodate players of all skill levels.

To an extent, but not to the extent of an assist mode. And in neither of those games is the actual game mechanics changed as far as I know. I'm sure you can see the difference.

Being in a lower tiered ranking in overwatch isn't going to help someone with a disability access the game.

Idk there's just so many games out there, some of which I'm awful at, and I've never once felt the need to want a game to change to fit my needs.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
How so? How does more people being able to enjoy something make it pointless for that something to exist for those who don't need that help?

This is one of the best examples there are of pointless gatekeeping.
I think the discussion is at odds because people are arguing from two different angles, about different things Accessibility is important. No one is saying that games shouldn't have options to help people with disabilities. That's like saying movies shouldn't have subtitles or descriptive audio.

I get the sense that people see "not everything needs to be for everyone" as "only we should enjoy something, not you", like it's coming from a place of selfishness or elistism. Hence the claims of gatekeeping.

When it's anything but. It's coming from the same place of a thread like "Possession is a batshit crazy movie, you should see it" or "Have you seen Sorcerer, it's a brilliant hidden gem" would be coming from. It's coming from a place of this was awesome, we want you to see how awesome it is too, come check this out

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These were the kinds of modifications utilities like Game Shark were useful for back in the day. Various key code presses, which were free and often published in game magazines achieved similar if varied results and were typically the tools of the QA/Beta testing process to selectively accelerate playthroughs to focus on individual parts of the game. YES, it's a good thing that some developers are mature enough to view using these things to open up game experiences for a wider audience as an asset and not a liability and it should happen for all games, without microgambling tactics.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, reminds me of your posts and how if you just do this or that one thing in Dark Souls by flipping a second chance switch then it works, guaranteed, with no thought put into what effects it will have on the game experience whether you can then beat it easier or not like that's all there is to a game, beating it, who cares about the actual player experience relying on, for a small amount of examples that barely scratch the surface, things like pacing, overcoming things that whether they are or aren't feel challenges, the tension from what feels like a looming threat, from intimidating looking characters actually being intimidating, whatever else interconnects on every level from the lore to the details of gameplay, game design is easy, anyone can do it from his armchair, lmao!!!!11oneoneleven. Sucks this nice positive bit of news has to be marred with shitposting and trolling about completely unrelated games but oh well, that's the internet for you.
Why dont you dispute my last reply to you first before you do this to me lol

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay fucking look. I'm sick and tired of this shit.

The point of Dark Souls, and why everyone likes it so much, is in NO SMALL PART, because the game doesn't give a fuck if you can beat it. It gives you access to tools, and says, okay, can you beat me? No? That sucks. Your potential inability to beat the game and give up is even taken into account in the game's story and themes.

The suffering of overcoming daunting odds, the harsh reality of failure, and struggling to not give up are integral to everything.
If you make the game piss easy, it flies in the face of all of that.
The point is that it's fucking challenging.

It's literally the point of the game.

Complaining about Dark Souls not having an easy mode is akin to complaining that Madden 2018 is a football game and not a platformer. You play Dark Souls because you want to overcome Dark Souls.
If you can't play Dark Souls because it's too hard, go play a different fucking game. No one bitches that it's too hard to be good in Counterstrike.
im just gonna requote since an edit would be easily missed :

The point of Dark Souls is to give a challenge. It's not impossible, it doesn't want you to quit. It wants you to beat it.

But that's not all to it. It's a dark fatasy game. It's a lore heavy, lovecraftian inspired fantasy game. The art is masterclass and the monster and character design is top notch. Dark Souls is a culmination of it's parts. Miyazaki did not set out to make a uber hard impossible game. Thats one of the reasons I've always hated Bamco's promotion material because it's not even impossible.

The series is dark and melancholic and a fresh look at imagery we've seen hundreds of times, it's an amazing experience, and I'm not even particularly giant on it's combat.

I play Dark Souls because I see it for more than just it's difficulty.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Both Bayonetta games work just fine with plenty of difficulty modes, including a touchscreen mode, which won an accessibility award btw http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/consoles/bayonetta-2-wins-ablegamers-2014-accessibility-award
What I'm saying is that every game can be make accesible to everyone while retaining it's core gameplay no matter how hard or easy people want the game to be.

He got banned, but I haven't gotten a proper answer. I'm talking about is not Automatic modes, which have been a part of Bayo and DMC from the start, but difficulty modifiers like what Celeste, and Dishonored 2 which is mentioned in the twitter comments, has. I'd like to hear ideas of how would that work with games with specific difficulty modes with unique enemy spawns and specific balancing, without ruining said balance? There is a reason why certain games have the difficulties that they do, and it's not to lock people out.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I probably agree that 95% of games could benefit from this sort of mode, but I'm just wary of any sort of blanket statements like every game ever could benefit from it. What about the game "Getting Over It"? The difficulty is literally the point.

Oct 25, 2017
Look at this.

Edit: fuck it:

The point of Dark Souls is to give a challenge. It's not impossible, it doesn't want you to quit. It wants you to beat it.

But that's not all to it. It's a dark fatasy game. It's a lore heavy, lovecraftian inspired fantasy game. The art is masterclass and the monster and character design is top notch. Dark Souls is a culmination of it's parts. Miyazaki did not set out to make a uber hard impossible game. Thats one of the reasons I've always hated Bamco's promotion material because it's not even impossible.

The series is dark and melancholic and a fresh look at imagery we've seen hundreds of times, it's an amazing experience, and I'm not even particularly giant on it's combat.

The art of Dark Souls is *deeply* intertwined in the world being unforgiving, uncaring, and hopelessly doomed. If you were running around like Dante just slapping everything silly without a care in the world, the art wouldn't have the same impact. Making the gameplay easier, would have a negative effect on the art's presentation and the themes and moods that they give to the player. All the Hollows are, to be simplified, just "other players" that have given up. Seeing the world ruined by what used to be regular (well, as regular as it gets in Dark Souls) people who fell into despair, gave up, and Hollowed wouldn't have as much of an effect if the oppressing world wasn't making the player think about giving up. Realizing that Hollows are just Undead, just like the player, who have given up, just as the player has thought of doing so many times, lends extra weight to their presence.

And no, it's not impossible. You don't have to be "good" at games to play it. But you do have to accept death, you do have to accept challenge, you do have to accept patience, and you do have to accept that the game doesn't give a flying fuck if you die 1000 times to the same boss.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I think the discussion is at odds because people are arguing from two different angles, about different things Accessibility is important. No one is saying that games shouldn't have options to help people with disabilities. That's like saying movies shouldn't have subtitles or descriptive audio.

I get the sense that people see "not everything needs to be for everyone" as "only we should enjoy something, not you", like it's coming from a place of selfishness or elistism. Hence the claims of gatekeeping.

When it's anything but. It's coming from the same place of a thread like "Possession is a batshit crazy movie, you should see it" or "Have you seen Sorcerer, it's a brilliant hidden gem" would be coming from. It's coming from a place of this was awesome, we want you to see how awesome it is too, come check this out
Accessibility is a spectrum, though. Games, unlike movies, are interactive media, that rely on the skills of the player for them to enjoy said media and see what it has to offer. As such, accessibility doesn't only refer to adding subtitles, or a colorblind mode in a puzzle game, it also refers to being able to scale the skill that's being asked from the player for them to have an experience they can enjoy. I would argue, that even if said scaling breaks the game (which is something that would be up to each developer - I'm sure simple examples such as increasing HP or other stats in a RPG-like, adding more checkpoints or airtime in a platformer, slowing traps down so people with slower reaction thresholds, etc wouldn't be terribly game-breaking thinking of generic game archetypes), it would be worth it to add if it's going to help people who would otherwise be unable to play the game either because they're physically limited in some way or because their skills just aren't as good as the average player's.

Again, Celeste, a game that is a platformer that has been compared to SMB, and therefore one would think its difficulty is part of the "artistic vision", is doing it brilliantly. And I hope other devs follow suit.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
im just gonna requote since an edit would be easily missed :

But the challenge is integral to that art, monster design, world, and tone. Because it influences how you play, and how you play reinforces the design and aesthetic of the world. They are symbiotic. That you have to fear every enemy, that you have to creep cautiously through unknown unexplored rooms and lands, that the world is ruthless yet beautiful in its desolation, that you're a single warrior against such nightmarish beasts

The elements that you speak of, that you like Dark Souls for, is informed by the difficulty, not separate from it.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The art of Dark Souls is *deeply* intertwined in the world being unforgiving, uncaring, and hopelessly doomed. If you were running around like Dante just slapping everything silly without a care in the world, the art wouldn't have the same impact. Making the gameplay easier, would have a negative effect on the art's presentation and the themes and moods that they give to the player. All the Hollows are, to be simplified, just "other players" that have given up. Seeing the world ruined by what used to be regular (well, as regular as it gets in Dark Souls) people who fell into despair, gave up, and Hollowed wouldn't have as much of an effect if the oppressing world wasn't making the player think about giving up. Realizing that Hollows are just Undead, just like the player, who have given up, just as the player has thought of doing so many times, lends extra weight to their presence.

And no, it's not impossible. You don't have to be "good" at games to play it. But you do have to accept death, you do have to accept challenge, you do have to accept patience, and you do have to accept that the game doesn't give a flying fuck if you die 1000 times to the same boss.
The art's impact would be lessened but lessening impact is better than not getting anything at all, which is what most disabled people go through with pretty much any big "hard" action series

This isnt about making a cake walk, this is about letting people who literally physically cannot do something and giving them the tools to help them do it.

Oct 25, 2017
Both Bayonetta games work just fine with plenty of difficulty modes, including a touchscreen mode, which won an accessibility award btw http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/consoles/bayonetta-2-wins-ablegamers-2014-accessibility-award
What I'm saying is that every game can be make accesible to everyone while retaining it's core gameplay no matter how hard or easy people want the game to be.
The problem with this, is that the point of Bayonetta and DMC is that the games are power fantasies. The point isn't that the games are hard -- it's that people who need that difficulty to fulfill their feeling of being a badass have the difficulty to do so. But a person playing Automatic will see the flashy combos and it will still provide the sense of power.

In other words, making the game easy isn't at direct odds with what the games are going for, in Bayo/DMC, which cannot be said of Dark Souls.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the challenge is integral to that art, monster design, world, and tone. Not because it influences how you play, and how you play reinforces the design and aesthetic of the world. That you have to fear every enemy, that you have to creep cautiously through unknown unexplored rooms and lands, that the world is ruthless yet beautiful in its desolation, that you're a single warrior against such nightmarish beasts

The elements that you speak of, that you like Dark Souls for, is informed by the difficulty, not separate from it.
Except they're fine on their own outside that difficulty. If i'd played Dark Souls in constant coop(which isnt an acceptable "easy" mode btw) and had brushed through everything, it wouldnt have mattered to me. I don't care about difficulty. It's cool when it happens, but it doesnt make my feelings towards the thing as a whole any better.

Disabled people straight up CANT play Dark Souls. This is about the difference between atleast getting to experience the thing versus not being able to experience it at all.

Oct 25, 2017
The art's impact would be lessened but lessening impact is better than not getting anything at all, which is what most disabled people go through with pretty much any big "hard" action series

This isnt about making a cake walk, this is about letting people who literally physically cannot do something and giving them the tools to help them do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skvcw7bC3so
This guy beat the game with fucking bananas.

Physical inabilities are not the largest concern with this game, not more so than many games.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the souls thing mostly boils down to how much you value the game's mode selection contributing to the rest of the game's tone

Obviously if someone wants to just see the sights in a Souls game they can use YouTube or external cheat applications or whatever, but they would unquestionably have a better experience if this were facilitated by the game through a menu option or mode. Whether this is a "good" way to play the game or lines up with developer intentions does not matter, because people will take a game however they want to. Others find value in the game's stoic tone being extended to every last facet, from being in the thick of combat all the way out to the option menus on the perimeter. These are the things that are at odds with one another, and I think it's disingenuous to frame it other ways ("elitist players won't have an altered experience at all", "this isn't the point of Dark Souls", etc).

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
People are getting aggressive here. Please remember to discuss this respectfully. It's OK if you want an easy mode, and it's also OK if you prefer a game not having one.

Oct 25, 2017
My point, is that the game doesn't require insane amounts of dexterity or execution... Otherwise an entirely digital input of bananas wouldn't work at all. The game's challenge is in reading situations, being patient, and being careful. This isn't F Zero. It's not even Call of Duty. I've seen physically disabled people do amazing things in games. Dark Souls would be a cakewalk for those cases.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this a lot. The game suggests that you try it with the default settings at first, and if it's too hard it encourages you to try assist mode. I wish more games featured helpful options like these.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Why's it always gotta be about Dark Souls.

Anyways, interesting choices. Not very often do you see straight up cheats enabled as regular options, and the speed adjustment is a neat one.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

See, this is what I'm talking about. No one is saying that games shouldn't have options to help with disabilities

This is like saying that Mother! should have subtitles versus Mother! should have a version that is less obtuse.

Making something able to enjoyed by someone with a disability doesn't mean making it easier to be enjoyed by something with a disability.

For example, Legend of Grimrock
DGM6Rma.jpg

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My point, is that the game doesn't require insane amounts of dexterity or execution... Otherwise an entirely digital input of bananas wouldn't work at all. The game's challenge is in reading situations, being patient, and being careful. This isn't F Zero. It's not even Call of Duty. I've seen physically disabled people do amazing things in games. Dark Souls would be a cakewalk for those cases.
The game requires quick reflexes, no matter the controller used.

And at the bolded: dont generalize. There's different disabilities ranging from mental to phyiscal and all on spectrums.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I love about modern racers like Forza is that they can be as easy or hard as you want them to be. I wish more games had customizable difficulty settings instead of one size fits all options. I feel like that's where Drive Club failed. As an arcade type game, it should've been more accessible out the gate.

Now, every game shouldn't have an easy mode. Like I honestly don't think anyone would give a shit about Dark Souls if it was easy. It'd probably fall apart.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Difficulty modes and accessibility options for disabled people can be very different things, it's very disingenuous to lump them as one and pretend you're championing disabled people and in turn that those against it (or rather those who claim it's not as easy as flipping a switch or adding more health/lessdamage/whatever for some games) are assholes who don't care for the less able >_>

Certain disabled people probably couldn't play Steel Battalion and that sucks but the game wouldn't be what it is if it didn't require twin joysticks and shit like that, nor would it be realistically cost effective to device a second brand new joystick device that could perhaps be worked just with one's legs and mouth or with just one hand yet still retain most of the core gameplay functions etc., it's sad but it is what it is and it would also be sad if Steel Battalion wasn't made at all because a wholly different disabled-friendly mech game was made in its stead, rather than both getting made at once. Other kinds of disabilities stop people from enjoying a simple lightgun game. It is what it is, such as it is. Thankfully there are games disabled people can play and hopefully we'll get more too.

Last edited:

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol people pretending DS doesn't have assists. If the boss is owning you, just call in another player for easy mode.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, this is what I'm talking about. No one is saying that games shouldn't have options to help with disabilities

This is like saying that Mother! should have subtitles versus Mother! should have a version that is less obtuse.

Making something able to enjoyed by someone with a disability doesn't mean making it easier to be enjoyed by something with a disability.

For example, Legend of Grimrock
DGM6Rma.jpg
The only way to actually make Dark Souls more accessible is an easier difficulty, as the difficulty is a giant wall that stops people. Since that level of disability can't play these kinds of games really at all, it's down to how a person with, say, slowed motor skills would play. Thats where the reflexes come in, and loosening the burden on that for them by adjusting health values would go a long way.

Hell, even a mode where you have maybe triple the invincibility frames would help!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Difficulty modes and accessibility options for disabled people can be very different things, it's very disingenuous to lump them as one and pretend you're championing disabled people and in turns that those against it (or rather those who claim it's not as easy as flipping a switch or adding more health/lessdamage/whatever for some games) are assholes who don't care for the less able >_>
Exactly. How did this conversation shift to being about disability accessibility?

That's like shifting from The Witness should have a hint mode to The Witness should have a colorblind mode

Oct 25, 2017
The game requires quick reflexes, no matter the controller used.

And at the bolded: dont generalize. There's different disabilities ranging from mental to phyiscal and all on spectrums.
Okay, I really don't feel like I need to point out that it's okay if there's a game here and there that a person theoretically cannot play due to physical or mental disabilities.

No one cares that Counterstrike is hard. It doesn't have an easy mode! THE HORROR
No one cares that Roguelikes are hard. A lot of those don't have easy modes! THE HORROR
No one cares that F Zero is hard. Shit it has an Easy mode and it's still fucking hard as balls. THE HORROR

I'm tired of Dark Souls talk always going to "But there might be someone out there who can't beat it!" I don't give a shit. I can't beat console FPS's, but I don't give a shit. I don't complain that all console FPS's need to remove my need to apply dexterity to the right analog stick. I just play another fucking game.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which specific disabilities are you referring to that prevent people from playing Dark Souls at all regardless of input method? Legitimate question.
Motor skills, specifically, where they have slowed reflexes with their hands/arms. (also i was probably confusing in trying to dismiss the banana video)

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I really don't feel like I need to point out that it's okay if there's a game here and there that a person theoretically cannot play due to physical or mental disabilities.

No one cares that Counterstrike is hard. It doesn't have an easy mode! THE HORROR
No one cares that Roguelikes are hard. A lot of those don't have easy modes! THE HORROR
No one cares that F Zero is hard. Shit it has an Easy mode and it's still fucking hard as balls. THE HORROR

I'm tired of Dark Souls talk always going to "But there might be someone out there who can't beat it!" I don't give a shit. I can't beat console FPS's, but I don't give a shit. I don't complain that all console FPS's need to remove my need to apply dexterity to the right analog stick. I just play another fucking game.
I care! Actively! Rogue Legacy would be great with one!

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody started playing this yet?

My understanding is that it came out today...

EDIT: Just found the OT.

Last edited:

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Fine with me, but lock some if not all those trophies/achievement if you play with assist mode on.

Oct 25, 2017
Motor skills, specifically, where they have slowed reflexes with their hands/arms. (also i was probably confusing in trying to dismiss the banana video)
If you use a shield the requirements for reflexes is reduced *dramatically*, as with magic.

The game has ways to make itself easier within the world and lore. But it requires you to use your head vs clicking a different mode. Two handing a katana requires the reflexes of a god to be sure, but a mage or a shield + lance doesn't. The game expects you to figure out, with your head, the strategy that works for you.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you use a shield the requirements for reflexes is reduced *dramatically*, as with magic.

The game has ways to make itself easier within the world and lore. But it requires you to use your head vs clicking a different mode. Two handing a katana requires the reflexes of a god to be sure, but a mage or a shield + lance doesn't. The game expects you to figure out, with your head, the strategy that works for you.
Even with that stuff, it could be incredibly difficult, especially when Sheilds and defense and magic are all basically useless in every other souls game compared to ds1

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, even a mode where you have maybe triple the invincibility frames would help!
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/dark-wood-grain-ring

Even with that stuff, it could be incredibly difficult, especially when Sheilds and defense and magic are all basically useless in every other souls game compared to ds1
And you know what?
I don't give a shit.
The challenge is the point of the game.
If you can't complete the game, that is taken into account within the game, you're a hollow.

Let me have my one, unapologetically challenging series.

Machiavelli

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Im so fucking excited for this game.
Probably try to play on hard mode first and if I cant beat it I will go back to assist mode. All I want is to enjoy it..
So thanks for the devs putting the assist mode in the game!

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You can't really do that with 2D platformers though, considering any changes to difficulty would either alter level design, controls, or do just what this game is doing: providing more options of play for those who need or want it.
I think he meant the naming of the difficulties. "Can I play mommy?" etc.

Also, "assist modes" have been available on PC for years, trainers! No shame in using them either!