• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Do people have the same sort of expectations concerning accessibility with other forms of media or activities?

E.g:
Should James Joyce's Ulysses have a "translation" into more understandable English? Is this translation still Ulysses?

Should the board game Twilight Imperium have an alternate easy to understand ruleset? Is this game still Twilight Imperium?

Should tee-ball leagues exist alongside wherever baseball is played so everyone can play this ball sport? Is tee-ball still "baseball"?

Given that Reader's Digest, "family" versions of popular board games, and tee-ball (as you point out) all exist, clearly the answer is yes, people do have the same sort of expectations concerning accessibility with other forms of media or activities. Whether or not, or to what degree, those more accessible forms of a thing should be considered distinct from the original thing is a different question. I think most people would acknowledge that playing a game on "easy" is not the exact same activity as playing the same game on "hard".

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Just like with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (and others) I am all for such extensive types of easy/assist modes. I play in harder difficulties for my own enjoyment but the more people who can have fun and play games the better :)

OP
OP
Luke_wal

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS TO BE FOR EVERY PLAYER

Even if this isn't what you mean (and I truly doubt and hope that it isn't), to somebody with varying levels of motor skills, reflexivity, or cognitive ability, what you're saying here to someone with a varying level of cognitive or physical ability is "this game isn't for you because your level of ability is different than 'normal people.'" This sort of attitudes excludes people with varying levels of ability. It's the same reason that all color-based puzzle games should have color-blind modes - making every game accessible to every person is only a good thing, and as artists, I would hope that game creators want their audience of their art to be as wide as possible.

Every game SHOULD be accessible to every player.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Aaaaanyway, with this assist mode the Celeste dev has guaranteed a buy from me (and no doubt lots of others who wouldn't have gone for it otherwise), and that of course is his intention. Good for him, good for me.

Miyazaki doesn't feel the need to compromise his DS vision with something similar. A shame, but I'll live.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I played Demon Souls with the help of a friend who did a soul dup glitch and made me high level.
it is like those snes/n64 games that came with cheats =P
Turok 2 with all weapons is THE WAY to play it

The "artisti intent" is clear that those things are not supposed to be used, but the dev probably rather have you play the game a few mor with cheats than dump it and give it a bad word of mouth

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Even if this isn't what you mean (and I truly doubt and hope that it isn't), to somebody with varying levels of motor skills, reflexivity, or cognitive ability, what you're saying here to someone with a varying level of cognitive or physical ability is "this game isn't for you because your level of ability is different than 'normal people.'" This sort of attitudes excludes people with varying levels of ability. It's the same reason that all color-based puzzle games should have color-blind modes - making every game accessible to every person is only a good thing, and as artists, I would hope that game creators want their audience of their art to be as wide as possible.

Every game SHOULD be accessible to every player.
When we're talking about difficulty in games in topics like this, no one is talking about disability features. We're talking about a hint mode in a puzzler like The Witness, not whether not it should have a colorblind mode. Or if a movie like Mother! should get a re-edited version to be less obtuse and confusing, not whether it should have subtitles.

We're talking taste, design, intent, and audience and whatnot. I dont get how the topic shifted from "different settings for people who find precision platformers hard" to "what, you dont want disabled people to be able to play". No one is saying that games shouldn't have accessiblity features for people with disabilities.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS TO BE FOR EVERY PLAYER
Not every option needs to be for every player.

If the game includes an option that makes it easier for less skilled players, or players with disabilities, or players with less time/patience who just want to enjoy that game's world — then how does it harm you?

Answer: It doesn't. It's an option for them. Not for you.

Accessibility options are a wonderful thing.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I managed to get through Celeste without having to use this feature, but damn, really lovely inclusion by the developers.

It takes a lot of care and respect for your players to include something like this, even when you feel it isn't the best way to experience your game. This screen in particular stood out as demonstrating what this developer understands that a lot of people here don't:

It isn't about making the game easy, it's about making it accessible. It's about making sure that as many players as possible get to experience all of the game. Great example set for other developers.