• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Welcome to the CEMU Thread.

Since there is no CEMU OT I just created it.

What is CEMU?:

CEMU is a Wii U emulator for Windows and Linux. Created by two people, it was initially released on October 13, 2015. Typically, the emulator updates once every two to four weeks, with Patreon supporters receiving updates a week earlier than the public release. Though it is still under development, it is able to run certain games smoothly. As of 2017, it is one of the only 8th generation emulators in existence along with the open-source Decaf emulator for the Wii U.

Newest release as of yet is 1.11.0c,

Changelog:
# Cemu detailed changelog for 1.11.0c
# Patreon release date: 2017-10-24
# Public release date: 2017-10-31

# New in 1.11.0c:

coreinit: Fixed a rare memory corruption bug that caused FSOpenFileAsync() to fail on valid files

# New in 1.11.0b:

general: Fixed a bug that made it impossible to enable online mode
coreinit: Fixed a problem where save files would sometimes not be detected by a game

# New in 1.11.0:

general: Added support for native online play for games that use NEX (requires otp, seeprom, account data and certificates dumped from a Wii U)
general: Updated game profiles
general: Added "streamoutBufferCacheSize" game profile option
general: Added "extendedTextureReadback" option (fixes Pikmin 3 and possibly other games, credits and thanks @ epigramx for the finding)
general: Added "threadQuantum" game profile option to control amount of virtual PPC cycles executed per thread time slice
general: Updates and dlcs can be now installed (but not downloaded) more conveniently via Cemu's UI. File -> Install game update or DLC -> select the meta.xml in the meta folder of the update
general: Added logging option for socket API

PPC/Interpreter: Fixed a bug in PSQ_L* instruction that caused the second value to be extended with the incorrect sign bit
PPC/Interpreter: Minor optimizations in PSQ_L* instructions
PPC/Interpreter: Added instruction PS_CMPU0
PPC/JIT: Move instructions that affect CR closer to conditional jumps so we can cache CR in x64 flags register (optimization for loops and branch heavy functions)

coreinit: Rewritten ExpHeap, MBlock MEMList, SpinLock code
coreinit: Rewrote MEMInitBlockHeap, MEMCreateFrmHeapEx, MEMCreateUnitHeapEx to match the new internal memory structures
coreinit: Added API MEMDestroyUnitHeap, MEMDestroyBlockHeap, IOS_Ioctlv, OSUninterruptibleSpinLock_Acquire,
OSUninterruptibleSpinLock_Release, OSUninterruptibleSpinLock_TryAcquire, OSUninterruptibleSpinLock_TryAcquireWithTimeout,
IM_GetParameter, IMGetAPDPeriod

input: Deadzone is normalized correctly now and should be the same for xinput and directinput devices
input: Fixed calibrating for certain directinput devices
input: Fixed a bug that caused controllers not to appear in the device list after click the refresh button

nn_save: New save library implementation
Using the correct save path: /mlc01/usr/save/... (instead of /mlc01/emulatorSave/..)
Cemu will automatically migrate old saves to the new location (if user confirms a message box)
Create meta files that identify a save (iconTex.tga, meta.xml, saveinfo.xml)
The new implementation also covers more nn_save API

nn_acp: Added API ACPUpdateSaveTimeStamp, ACPCheckApplicationDeviceEmulation, GetUtcOffset, GetUtcOffsetEx

nn_boss: Added support for reading BOSS storage (mlc/usr/boss/)

nn_sysnet: Added API mw_socket, shutdown, inet_pton, recvfrom_ex, sendto, sendto_multi

Iosu: Implemented crypto and account modules

zLib: Added API deflateInit2_, deflateBound, deflate, deflateEnd

GX2: Added support for data-merging of BC3 and BC4 textures with matching integer formats
GX2: If supported, use AVX2 to decode 16bit indices
GX2: Optimized tiling aperature
GX2: Fixed a bug where the pixel shader decompiler would ignore the current state of geometry shader outputs and instead use the outputs of the vertex stage
GX2: Various smaller optimizations

AX: Fixed crash caused by buffer overflow when the samplerate ratio of a voice was very low
AX: Fixed a crash bug in biquad filter
AX: Added API AXGetAuxCallback

Feel free to post videos and tips, if you have any wishes for the OT just let me know.

4K Screenshots from the GAF Thread:
Credit goes to PGamer and JediYoshi :)
wzto8kwrwkdp.jpg

ocjuu6k16j2a.jpg

8h2y9ed6wurg.jpg

supersmashbros.forwii6zscd.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that's my kind of thread! Thanks, OP! :D

I've been holding out on using CEMU for a couple of months lately, waiting to build a new PC.

My 2500K is old and tired, not quite up to snuff for CEMU or that PS3 emulator, Coffee Lake a-comin!

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Now that's my kind of thread! Thanks, OP! :D

I've been holding out on using CEMU for a couple of months lately, waiting to build a new PC.

My 2500K is old and tired, not quite up to snuff for CEMU or that PS3 emulator, Coffee Lake a-comin!

You're welcome, since PGamer seems not be seen here, I thought I take over his legacy for now :).

Cemu is really well developed, tried a few games and runs great already. I have a i5 7600k.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How is compatibility for Bayonetta 2 at the moment? It's one of two games I have dumped on my HDD, the other being Maiden of Black Water. If my new build is done, I might want to replay both at a better resolution and more stable frame-rate.

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
How is compatibility for Bayonetta 2? It's one of two games I have dumped on my HDD, the other being Maiden of Black Water. If my new build is done, I might want to replay both at a better resolution and more stable frame-rate.

Bayonetta 2 is fine, only problem is the sound is still failing after a short period of time, crackling in that regard.

Couldn't test Fatal Frame V yet, but I think it runs better than with the older builds.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's disappointing to hear, might wait a while before trying. It'll get there, I still have the hardware, but thought might be worth a shot!

varkuriru

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to wait a while before trying this one, but seeing the clarity mod for Breath of the Wild took me over the fence. Now I cannot go back to my WiiU play-through.

I have a 2500k overclocked to 4.3Ghz and a 980ti. I can lock 30fps with the occasional stutter at 1080p. Better than I thought I would get.

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
That's disappointing to hear, might wait a while before trying. It'll get there, I still have the hardware, but thought might be worth a shot!

I hope they will soon fix the audio bug, besides the audio glitching out, Bayo 2 looks fantastic.
Anyone tried the network functionality?

varkuriru

Yeah, I know what do you mean, BotW is way smoother on Cemu than the actual hardware.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My new rig arriving this month is going to be able to run this, I'm so psyched! My Wii U is in great condition, but it's nice to know there's future options.

Oct 27, 2017
I am really amazed how great Super Mario 3D World runs, basically 100%. Only had one point where it kept crashing.

Compare that to how disastrous N64 emulation still is, it's simply amazing.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Compare that to how disastrous N64 emulation still is, it's simply amazing.

Bad N64 emulation is a thing of the past really. Try https://m64p.github.io/ or read about the recent improvements to the parallel core in retroarch https://www.libretro.com/index.php/category/nintendo-64/

But its not really a fair comparison anyway. People seem to forget that the Wii U is based on well documented Power PC architecture as has many similarities to the Wii which helped the emulation come on so quickly. The N64 by comparison has a ton of quirks in in its hardware which are only just now starting to be understood.

http://mudlord.info/blog/2016/07/11/why-n64-emulation-is-hard/

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Coolios
Wii u games i wanna try-
Breath of the wild
Sonic boom
Devil's third
...pretty much any wii u exclusive and multiplat from ps360 xp

Does tekken tag 2 run well atm?

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Updated to 1.11.0 c and haven't had a single crash in XCX after about an hour flying around to rebuild the shader cache

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild was easy to set up and I'm getting some very good performance on my i7 4790K with the FPS mod. It's a joy to play a Nintendo game in 4K. Not necessarily hooked to the game's systems as the story and quests are trite for me, but the art style is pretty to look at it in some of the more dense areas.

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild was easy to set up and I'm getting some very good performance on my i7 4790K with the FPS mod. It's a joy to play a Nintendo game in 4K. Not necessarily hooked to the game's systems as the story and quests are trite for me, but the art style is pretty to look at it in some of the more dense areas.
Very good means stable 30 fps? Or drops?

When I tried it a couple of weeks ago my 2500k was getting pretty hard drops to 15 fps.

Lauscher

Nov 13, 2017
I know for Cemu and emulation in general single core performance and good ipc are key for good performance, but with all the recent performance updates for cemu is a Ryzen7 1700 a viable option for an emulation rig?

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
I know for Cemu and emulation in general single core performance and good ipc are key for good performance, but with all the recent performance updates for cemu is a Ryzen7 1700 a viable option for an emulation rig?
Overclocked and with fast memory Ryzen is plenty serviceable even if not the best possible chip. You can find plenty videos on youtube when looking for "ryzen cemu", like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JklDsedrnNk as a recent example.

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting on the sound issues for Bayonetta 2 to be worked out. The progress they made on this emulator is crazy though.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all get the patreon email for the newest update?

# Cemu detailed changelog for 1.11.1
# Patreon release date: 2017-11-20
# Public release date: 2017-11-27

general: Improved online support, as a consequence Cemu now requires all ccert and scert files to be dumped
general: Input window should open faster
general: Improved error description when file copy operations fail (save migration and update/DLC installer)
general: Cemu will generate meta folder for saves if not already present (necessary to identify saves)
general: Updated application and window icon

PPC/JIT: New global linear-scan register allocator
Previous register allocator would only look at blocks of uninterrupted instructions,
while the new RA can allocate registers across branches and loops,
resulting in code with far less memory read/writes.
If you know x64/ppc asm and want to see an example, check this link:
http://cemu.info/changelog/cemu1.11.1_ra.txt

PPC/JIT: Use BMI2 SHRX/SHLX for PPC SRW/SLW (if supported)
PPC/JIT: Detect and replace common ADDIC+SUBFE pattern with x64 optimized code

coreinit: Added missing MEMCreateUnitHeapEx, MEMDestroyUnitHeap exports
coreinit: Fixed bugs in memory heap implementations
coreinit: Added API MEMGetNthListObject, MEMGetPrevListObject, MEMPrependList, MCP_GetSystemVersion, MCP_TitleListByDevice

ax: Small tweaks and optimizations to audio handling

nn_ac: Added API GetConnectResult, GetLastErrorCode, GetStatus
nn_ac: Fixed the return values of IsApplicationConnected, GetConnectStatus, GetAssignedAddress, GetAssignedSubnet

nn_act: Implemented API AcquireIndependentServiceToken

nn_acp: Implemented API ACPGetSaveDataTitleIdList, ACPGetTitleSaveMetaXml, ACPGetTitleSaveDirEx

nn_erreula: Implemented preliminary support for nn_erreula library

nlibcurl: Implemented a large chunk of Cafe OS nlibcurl functions

GX2: Fixed a bug that caused a mismatch between geometry and pixel shader attribute location
GX2: Fixed a rare bug that caused textures to be dropped from the texture cache after a period of time despite being still in use

nsysnet: Added API NSSLCreateContext, NSSLSetClientPKI, NSSLAddServerPKI, NSSLAddServerPKIGroups, NSSLDestroyContext​

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Y'all get the patreon email for the newest update?

# Cemu detailed changelog for 1.11.1
# Patreon release date: 2017-11-20
# Public release date: 2017-11-27

general: Improved online support, as a consequence Cemu now requires all ccert and scert files to be dumped
general: Input window should open faster
general: Improved error description when file copy operations fail (save migration and update/DLC installer)
general: Cemu will generate meta folder for saves if not already present (necessary to identify saves)
general: Updated application and window icon

PPC/JIT: New global linear-scan register allocator
Previous register allocator would only look at blocks of uninterrupted instructions,
while the new RA can allocate registers across branches and loops,
resulting in code with far less memory read/writes.
If you know x64/ppc asm and want to see an example, check this link:
http://cemu.info/changelog/cemu1.11.1_ra.txt

PPC/JIT: Use BMI2 SHRX/SHLX for PPC SRW/SLW (if supported)
PPC/JIT: Detect and replace common ADDIC+SUBFE pattern with x64 optimized code

coreinit: Added missing MEMCreateUnitHeapEx, MEMDestroyUnitHeap exports
coreinit: Fixed bugs in memory heap implementations
coreinit: Added API MEMGetNthListObject, MEMGetPrevListObject, MEMPrependList, MCP_GetSystemVersion, MCP_TitleListByDevice

ax: Small tweaks and optimizations to audio handling

nn_ac: Added API GetConnectResult, GetLastErrorCode, GetStatus
nn_ac: Fixed the return values of IsApplicationConnected, GetConnectStatus, GetAssignedAddress, GetAssignedSubnet

nn_act: Implemented API AcquireIndependentServiceToken

nn_acp: Implemented API ACPGetSaveDataTitleIdList, ACPGetTitleSaveMetaXml, ACPGetTitleSaveDirEx

nn_erreula: Implemented preliminary support for nn_erreula library

nlibcurl: Implemented a large chunk of Cafe OS nlibcurl functions

GX2: Fixed a bug that caused a mismatch between geometry and pixel shader attribute location
GX2: Fixed a rare bug that caused textures to be dropped from the texture cache after a period of time despite being still in use

nsysnet: Added API NSSLCreateContext, NSSLSetClientPKI, NSSLAddServerPKI, NSSLAddServerPKIGroups, NSSLDestroyContext​

Thanks for posting the new update :)

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Can i run this game 1080p 60 fps with:
I7 7700k
16gb ram
GTX 1070

Easily. Search for a YouTube channel called BSOD Gaming, he has some pretty great CEMU setup and optimalization tutorials where he walks you through all the steps. Even motion control can be emulated if you have some spare DualShock or the Switch Pro controller lying around.