• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I seriously seriously doubt that the CEO reviews resumes, also, people put those sections there because they have been told that you need to do that.
This is a dumb filter that they sounds dumb enough to have enforce to the people who actually review resumes for the company.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I'm a fucking sociopath who enjoys exercising petty arbitrary control over other people's employment prospects!"

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Hiring is a nightmare and will turn you into one.
Yeah, I feel as though some people just don't understand how much of your time can be wasted during the hiring process. It's really not unreasonable to pass over a résumé for including/excluding certain content, though I don't think the inclusion of an Objective section should be grounds for not considering someone for a position. I'll take that over someone sending me a screenshot of their résumé from their phone (usually with the phone UI visible and with the résumé partially cut off), sending me a résumé that's clearly intended for a different business or sending a résumé with a lot of typos on it. It's always irritating when someone sends a résumé as a Pages file, but I'll at least have the decency to email the person applying and ask him/her to re-send it in DOC, DOCX or PDF format, because it's just Apple's arrogance that allows people to so easily send a document in a format that Windows users won't be able to view without jumping through a bunch of hoops.

By the way, I've heard of people not considering applications submitted by mail some of the time because the stamp is crooked on the envelope, so it's not as though the means of weeding out candidates has always been the most sensible.

Magni

He didn't say he threw all resumes with an objective in the trash. He said 90%.

From anecdotal experience, most resumes I've seen with an objective section are trash, so it checks out.

I've only really seen it on resumes that were lacking in other areas (gotta fill the page I guess). Most people worth hiring knew it was pointless to include it.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
From anecdotal experience, most resumes I've seen with an objective section are trash, so it checks out.
Yep, and this is exactly why throwing away any resumes with an objective can be an efficient filtering tool.

I can think of half a dozen reasons an objective section is pointless and/or will negatively impact the effectiveness of a resume. If an applicant lacks the self awareness and critical thinking to understand that, it may give me more insight into their fitness for the job than their paper qualifications ever could.

Oct 25, 2017
Blanket rejecting applicants based on debatable resume formatting choices or other process etiquette that hasn't been communicated to the applicant is privileged bullshit.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yep, and this is exactly why throwing away any resumes with an objective can be an efficient filtering tool.

I can think of half a dozen reasons an objective section is pointless and/or will negatively impact the effectiveness of a resume. If an applicant lacks the self awareness and critical thinking to understand that, it may give me more insight into their fitness for the job than their paper qualifications ever could.
Pretty much. This is my stance.

Ive even had the pilot of my private jet slow to near stall so me and the other execs could cover resumes in ketchup then throw them out of the door and try to shoot them with bird shot.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I'm sure he gets plenty of talented candidates in the remaining hundreds or resumes in that 10%.
Are CEO's of small companies (ones without an HR department where the CEO has to personally filter resumes) really swimming in hundreds and hundreds of resumes? I find that hard to believe. Anywhere I've ever been has either been big enough to have people paid to filter resumes, or has been fighting like hell to get applicants at all.

Maybe in retail or something... do people really provide a resume to apply for retail jobs?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Got an interview with Lockheed with an objective in my resume. :) So pfbt.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just so tired of the fetishization of the "CEO with the hot take about the job market you've never heard before" gimmick. He doesn't read objective statements? Ok. The last three jobs I've gotten were all pretty good and didn't have a problem with it.

If we're being honest, if companies on the whole are so good at hiring there wouldn't be a new market for companies like ZipRecruiter to even exist.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Hiring is a nightmare and will turn you into one.
Correct. People downplaying this or calling the CEO an asshole aren't getting it. I've had to sift through hundreds of resumes at a time for the handful positions of hired for. It's just not possible to treat every one of those hundreds with total consideration, so the initial screening is often, did this person actually spend more than an hour putting together this resume? Did they condense it to a page of relevant experience instead of giving me three pages of nonsense?

The obsession employers have with resumes will never fail to amuse me. Qualifications and certifications I get, and employment history. Society treats a resume like it's the damn Constitution.

You have it backwards. Employers only want to see what you said. Applicants want to write 3-4 page reports about their day to day job duties from ten - fifteen years ago.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I've never had this section, but this shit is infuriating. If there are things that businesses/organizations do or don't want, then they need to state that instead of having all these secret dealbreakers.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Yup, agreed. It's pointless, a waste of space, and a waste of time for anyone reading it. Everyone works to get paid. Your resume should really just be a fast and concise "fact sheet" about your relevant education and experience. If you have anything to elaborate on, including your hopes and dreams about this job position, write a cover letter.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda dickish of him to simply disregard a resume that has an objective statement. Sounds like a douche.

THAT SAID:

Yeah, let's not bullshit around. The objective is to get hired, earn a paycheck, and hopefully advance in the company over time.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The exec is an asshole but he is not wrong.

But on the other hand for people who don't have a lot of experience or results (especially when they are trying to enter the corporate workforce) it is hard to list achievements when you are 22 years old without straight up lying.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resumes don't really mean too much to me. I prefer to talk to people and figure out how their brain works. I've had some hotshots apply that were total idiots.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
A lot of those "HR dos and don"t" is just wanking of people having power over people needing a job.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I feel as though some people just don't understand how much of your time can be wasted during the hiring process. It's really not unreasonable to pass over a résumé for including/excluding certain content, though I don't think the inclusion of an Objective section should be grounds for not considering someone for a position. I'll take that over someone sending me a screenshot of their résumé from their phone (usually with the phone UI visible and with the résumé partially cut off), sending me a résumé that's clearly intended for a different business or sending a résumé with a lot of typos on it. It's always irritating when someone sends a résumé as a Pages file, but I'll at least have the decency to email the person applying and ask him/her to re-send it in DOC, DOCX or PDF format, because it's just Apple's arrogance that allows people to so easily send a document in a format that Windows users won't be able to view without jumping through a bunch of hoops.

By the way, I've heard of people not considering applications submitted by mail some of the time because the stamp is crooked on the envelope, so it's not as though the means of weeding out candidates has always been the most sensible.

When your time reading resumes is getting wasted, you're getting paid for it.

Often, people applying for jobs are using their own time that they're not getting paid for, and the time they spend applying for jobs probably exceeds the time you spend reading resumes.

If I were a hiring manager, I'm sure I'd get irritated and stressed by it, but it's bad form to complain about that in a public forum, where many people who read it will be desperately applying for jobs.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I wouldn't even give it a second thought. I'm going straight to the middle part with their history and qualifications.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

Often, people applying for jobs are using their own time that they're not getting paid for, and the time they spend applying for jobs probably exceeds the time you spend reading resumes.

If I were a hiring manager, I'm sure I'd get irritated and stressed by it, but it's bad form to complain about that in a public forum, where many people who read it will be desperately applying for jobs.
Often those people getting paid to read CVs have other responsibilities that stack up and overtime that doesn't get paid. You're also putting way more weight into ones commitment to submitting a resume versus having to read it. Most people don't tailor their resume to a role and have a canned cover letter if a position requires it.

Anyone who does hiring does a quick parsing of a CV for keywords, general grammar / spelling and formatting... Dependent on the role if you miss on any of these you end up on the trash heap before it gets properly read. Why should someone doing the hiring extend any more effort than required if they have already made the determination that they won't be hiring a given applicant?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Kinda dickish of him to simply disregard a resume that has an objective statement. Sounds like a douche.

THAT SAID:

Yeah, let's not bullshit around. The objective is to get hired, earn a paycheck, and hopefully advance in the company over time.

Let's be honest, though. For whatever reason, the company/HR still wants you to kiss their behind and tell them what a privilege it is to even interview for the job of their dreams at your awesome company. Most of which is BS as well (maybe not all the time, but 99% of the time). But we have multiple people in here saying that they need to see it in their cover letter (show me how much you really want this job), so how is that any different than BSing an objective? It's still a song and dance.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
You can just write one once and then change it up a bit for each job you apply to. If it's a more technical/science or business type job I could see it being less important.

I think it shows you put a little bit of thought into your resume rather than just listing all your education/work milestones like a robot.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California

You're operating under the assumption that "hiring manager" is always a dedicated position, which isn't the case much of the time (and in my case). The amount of time that someone spends applying for jobs is less important than the amount of time someone puts into each individual résumé. I'm definitely more forgiving when looking at résumés for certain positions, but someone applying for a receptionist position that'll require clean communication and a strong attention to detail won't get very far with a résumé that contains some of the issues I mentioned above. Your résumé has to be tailored to each job you apply for, and it has to show a certain level of polish based on the position you want. Note that we don't even require résumés, as we make it very easy to apply through our Web site and simply give applicants an option to include a résumé if needed.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
And another CEO has probably made it a rule not to accept resumes without an Objective section
The whole job search thing is ridiculous

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest, though. For whatever reason, the company/HR still wants you to kiss their behind and tell them what a privilege it is to even interview for the job of their dreams at your awesome company. Most of which is BS as well (maybe not all the time, but 99% of the time). But we have multiple people in here saying that they need to see it in their cover letter (show me how much you really want this job), so how is that any different than BSing an objective? It's still a song and dance.

I do not disagree. I also can't stand writing cover letters. "Restate your resume here but in different words, and also pucker up and kiss our asses." Wrote one just this week. ...Painful.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Unless he's the CEO of a startup with a staff of ten, he hasn't looked at a resume in the last decade. Today's larger companies are so multi-layered, you could spend your entire career there and the CEO would never even know you existed.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Unless he's the CEO of a startup with a staff of ten, he hasn't looked at a resume in the last decade. Today's larger companies are so multi-layered, you could spend your entire career there and the CEO would never even know you existed.
Yeah, this was my thought when I read this. What shit ass company does he run if he's the "CEO" and he's reading resumes? Does he moonlight as the fire chief and the dog catcher?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The way I read the title, I thought this was about how people neglect to keep their objective section up to date or tailor it to the job they're applying for.