• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It struggle tu run on every hardware so i have fear to see how it run on switch tbh.
They should focus on optimization before thinking to expand on other platforms.

It'll be golden on the Switch. It'll run perfectly just on the Switch and PC. The XboneX and PS4 versions will forever run like ass but the Switch version will run perfectly. Not only that but when tech geeks and outside devs tries to investigate on how is it possible that PUBG runs so well on the Switch but runs poorly on the other console the only serious answer they will be able to give is "I have no idea how or why this is the way it is so we should all just accept it."

jk

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Only way I see this on Switch is a custom-built version, smaller map custom made for the hardware, probably smaller player count (I'd say slice it in half so you still have a good amount), and some crazy game development magic.

OP
OP

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
UE4 tends to run a lot better (given the specs) on Nvidia GPUs than AMD, so in that regard it looks OK for the switch (but it would probably be sub 720p), but when you look at memory and CPU, it would be almost impossible given how badly it's running on the Xbox One (with a lot faster CPU and more ram), unless they really improve the game.
even for the PS4, which offers a slightly slower CPU than the Xbox One, things don't look great, but in this case it's very likely to happen.

PUBG remaining exclusive on the consoles makes absolutely no sense, the challenge is more technical for the Switch, and more temporary for the PS4.

Several UE 4 games list here and several on switch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game could never have launched on PS4 in the state it's in. On Xbox however, publishers are allowed to sell beta versions of video games to customers.
From that perspective; Xbox is a match made in heaven. When they finish the game, of course it's going to be on every platform. That includes iOS and Switch

edit:
Game Preview on Xbox One are like pre-release, so they don't have a restriction on quality. However, PS is very strict about this.

The game was console exclusive by default

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
By the time they ever get to that point, if they ever get there, most people would have long moved on. And chances are a bigger studio will be able to produce a better product faster by that time.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
PUBG is basically the biggest indie phenomenon since Minecraft, huh? We'll be seeing PUBG ports on every console for the foreseeable future

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The game could never have launched on PS4 in the state it's in. On Xbox however, publishers are allowed to sell beta versions of video games to customers.
From that perspective; Xbox is a match made in heaven. When they finish the game, of course it's going to be on every platform. That includes iOS and Switch

edit:

Game preview is a pretty awesome option and has allowed alot of games on Xbox to get a following due to it arriving first.

Deleted member 14927

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
much as id love to see it on switch , this argument that just because switch supports ue4 means itll run everything made on ue4 annoys me to no end.

Depends on how polished they can make the server side code - If they can optimise it with enough low latency it shouldn't be a problem.

OT: Every time I see your Liam McPoyle avatar it makes me chuckle. I really need to source one of those eye patches

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
With it having issues on the Xbox One X (Could be fixed right now though) I think Nintendo and Sony would need to help out with a Switch and PS4 version of PUBG so it won't have the same performance issues fate.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017

edit:
Game Preview on Xbox One are like pre-release, so they don't have a restriction on quality. However, PS is very strict about this.

Sorry, I'm trying to understand what you are trying to say here? You somehow think PS would not greenlight PUBG in its current form on the PS store? Because of its 'quality' or is that quality of its performance?

Cause, if it is, I'm sorry to say that you might surprised on some of the stuff that has gone through this 'strict' vetting of Sony. Both on performance and quality. As highlighted by Jim Sterling a while ago, I urge you to have a look at 'Life of a Black Tiger' or 'Skylight Freerange 2: Gachduine'

Note that those two titles were also advertised on their YT page.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I'm trying to understand what you are trying to say here? You somehow think PS would not greenlight PUBG in its current form on the PS store? Because of its 'quality' or is that quality of its performance?

Cause, if it is, I'm sorry to say that you might surprised on some of the stuff that has gone through this 'strict' vetting of Sony. Both on performance and quality. As highlighted by Jim Sterling a while ago, I urge you to have a look at 'Life of a Black Tiger' or 'Skylight Freerange 2: Gachduine'

Note that those two titles were also advertised on their YT page.

While I respect your input and opinion, this is literally what the CEO of PUBG Industries had to say on the subject:

As for 'Skylight Freerange 2: Gachduine', it is made by just 1 man, not a 200 man team like BGPU

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, your first sentence

The game could never have launched on PS4 in the state it's in.

Because this CEO said;

The same chap whom incedentley also said;

but I was told that the PC and Xbox One markets in Japan are growing significantly. They are also running out of Xbox One Xs, I heard.
...lulz

So, you are of a firm belief that if thy went to Sony right now and said "Hey, can we put PUBG on the PS4 store?" Sony in response would be "Oh no, it doesn't meet to our high quality standard..tut tut!"? Then I have some flying pigs to sell you.

I'm, calling phooey. Its PR. The reason is not on the Sony store is not because this magical quality bar - but undoubtably a commercial agreement with MS.

I just wish platform holders were more honest about it. If it's exclusive for x time, then let them say it. It's an ongoing issue with this industry in order to do nothing but confuse us consumers and everyone us guilty of it

As for 'Skylight Freerange 2: Gachduine', it is made by just 1 man, not a 200 man team like BGPU

I'm not compairing Dev team size. It was to demonstrate how low this mythical quality bar is for Sony. Somehow, Skylight is high enough and to also jag a promo on their YT channel but yet the phenomenon that is PUBG is too low..

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Given the performance on One X I've managed to capture some footage of the game running on Switch. It's 1080p and a fixed 1fps. Beautiful

3206260-pubg+3.jpg
Nice gif.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Only way this can run on Switch is via streaming like Square Enix did for Dragon Quest X 3DS or that PSO 2 Sega will release.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
*Cut to E3 when Nintendo announces their own crazy Battle Royale-style game set in the Splatoon universe.*

Oct 27, 2017
at this point, why even secure timed exclusives if you're Xbox? Since Rise of the TR everyone knows games will come to PS4 roughly 12 months later, more or less.

I guess it's better than it coming to PS4 first and Xbox second, like so many indie games earlier this gen, but still.

Dead rising, Tomb Raider, Elite, and probably PUBG. If you own both consoles (and I do) why not wait for the PS4 version which will probably perform better (or at least has a chance) compared to base hardware for these timed exclusives?

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm down. 30 million + people to test, play and have fun. Better for everyone playing and for those who will eventually play it on their console that doesn't currently have PUBG.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
at this point, why even secure timed exclusives if you're Xbox? Since Rise of the TR everyone knows games will come to PS4 roughly 12 months later, more or less.

I guess it's better than it coming to PS4 first and Xbox second, like so many indie games earlier this gen, but still.

Dead rising, Tomb Raider, Elite, and probably PUBG. If you own both consoles (and I do) why not wait for the PS4 version which will probably perform better (or at least has a chance) compared to base hardware for these timed exclusives?

Some people don't want to wait 2 or more years to experience a game.
This game was released in March 2017

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
People asking for a Switch port of PUBG should first see how badly optimized it is on even the XBX right now, it'd run absolutely terribly on Switch.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017

Because exclusivity sells consoles apparently - I mean this forum tells me so every day in every MS thread with someone always saying "why would I buy an Xbox - it has no exclusives I want to play" narrative that's the current flavor.

Right this minute, the game of the moment is PUBG - and if you want to play in a console setting, the only place you can do that is on an XB1 with MS. And arguably the best console will be the X1X going forward till the magic PS5 comes abound.

It's the obscurification of the deal that gets my goat up. To the point where he is laying blame at the competitors policys. He would have been better saying something like "While I would love to bring to title to everyone on every platform, right now, we are in a partnership with MS whom is helping us move into the console space. This partnership comes with a period of exclusivity"

Both platforms are guilty of it and it's getting to a point of stupidity where in a deal with Sony you can't even mention the competitors name and only refer to them as "other platform" - it stupid, and it's only getting more stupid.

Oct 27, 2017
Because exclusivity sells consoles apparently - I mean this forum tells me so every day in every MS thread with someone always saying "why would I buy an Xbox - it has no exclusives I want to play" narrative that's the current flavor.

Right this minute, the game of the moment is PUBG - and if you want to play in a console setting, the only place you can do that is on an XB1 with MS. And arguably the best console will be the X1X going forward till the magic PS5 comes abound.

It's the obscurification of the deal that gets my goat up. To the point where he is laying blame at the competitors policys. He would have been better saying something like "While I would love to bring to title to everyone on every platform, right now, we are in a partnership with MS whom is helping us move into the console space. This partnership comes with a period of exclusivity"

Both platforms are guilty of it and it's getting to a point of stupidity where in a deal with Sony you can't even mention the competitors name and only refer to them as "other platform" - it stupid, and it's only getting more stupid.
No I get it, exclusives sell. They should. That's the point.

Just seems odd to invest in timed exclusives when clearly everyone knows they can just wait. It's been a popular item this gen since Rise of TR's e3 2015 (2014?) reveal.

Like an NBA team who plays hard only to finish just outside the playoffs, 10 or 9th seed. Yeah, it would be nice to make the playoffs but ultimately you'll be eliminated so why not focus on improving in 2-3 years. Not that I'm suggesting Xbox deliberately tank tho. Just what do they even gain from timed deals when everyone knows the time limit?

But as I type this they're hopefully developing a killer exclusive lineup for 2019-2020

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Bluehole can't optimize games. Look at TERA.

XBO performance will be awful, PS4 would be awful if released based on their TERA console test. Switch would be a meme.