• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
At first I thought the spin move had to be motion but it doesn't. You just spin the control stick then attack. The only one I don't know how to do without motion so far is through cappy straight up but I'm sure there is a way.
I haven't gotten to play a lot yet but this will be a game changer for me. Glad I know this now.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
I think rolling faster is my only gripe about motion controls so far. 600 moons here.

But its impractical to shake your switch that many times to optimize speed in handheld.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think rolling faster is my only gripe about motion controls so far. 600 moons here.

But its impractical to shake your switch that many times to optimize speed in handheld.
Yes, some moons are basically impossible to get without waggle speed boosting. There really needs to be a patch with a handheld mode friendly solution.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
An odd thing is if you turn motion controls off they don't actually turn off. It's weird to see such a determined effort to force you to play in a particular way.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently visiting the in laws and always having to play in tabletop mode to get the full range of actions is very inconvenient.

It doesn't even seem like there's some physical or technical limitations where Nintendo can't map these actions to buttons.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I remember NSMBU got several control option patches so hopefully this will too. It'd be crazy if Nintendo kept players from 100% completion in handheld mode.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, some moons are basically impossible to get without waggle speed boosting. There really needs to be a patch with a handheld mode friendly solution.

Hmm? Which moons are those? I never once used waggle speed boosting outside of trying it out, since I played in handheld mode basically 95% of the time.

I've found that long jumping then doing a triple jump (and repeating) is just as fast, if not faster than waggle rolling. Since you go into a fast run after long jumping and triple jumping maintains that increased momentum for longer.

An odd thing is if you turn motion controls off they don't actually turn off. It's weird to see such a determined effort to force you to play in a particular way.

Yeah it just turns off the gyro aiming for the tank and binoculars. Very annoying, I agree. I like playing Switch on the elliptical sometimes and having any sort of motion control active makes that basically impossible.

iosef

Oct 28, 2017
The split joycon requirement (I know there are alternatives for most moves, but they're difficult/non-optimal, spin cap being the best example) makes this game a huge pain in the ass to play on airplanes, which frustrates the hell out of me. I do a lot of business travel and my primary long stretches for serious gaming are on long flights. I thought about detaching the joycons and sticking the Switch in front of me on the seatback tray, until I realized my motion-control action would annoy the people sitting nearby to no end. Same situation on buses, subway, trams, etc... Disappointing and seems very un-Nintendo.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The split joycon requirement (I know there are alternatives for most moves, but they're difficult/non-optimal, spin cap being the best example) makes this game a huge pain in the ass to play on airplanes, which frustrates the hell out of me. I do a lot of business travel and my primary long stretches for serious gaming are on long flights. I thought about detaching the joycons and sticking the Switch in front of me on the seatback tray, until I realized my motion-control action would annoy the people sitting nearby to no end. Same situation on buses, subway, trams, etc... Disappointing and seems very un-Nintendo.

This is the argument that I don't understand. Even if you don't want to do the button combo alternatives for the spin move and downward throw, handheld mode still 100% supports all motion inputs. You can do every motion in handheld mode with joycons attached, why are people resorting to detaching the joycons?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm? Which moons are those? I never once used waggle speed boosting outside of trying it out, since I played in handheld mode basically 95% of the time.

I've found that long jumping then doing a triple jump (and repeating) is just as fast, if not faster than waggle rolling. Since you go into a fast run after long jumping and triple jumping maintains that increased momentum for longer.
Land/jump speed isn't usually the issue, it's when doing other movements like climbing or crouch walking on the timed challenges. Also speed boosts in transformed states like Bullet Bill for example, there's a distant moon in the post-game set for Sand Kingdom that's impossible to get unless you're doing waggle boosts on top of high speed Bill blasting. Waggle also impacts other actions that are necessary for moon collecting like the Frog high jump. I'm 547 moons in and have found multiple moons now that are impossible without waggle.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Land/jump speed isn't usually the issue, it's when doing other movements like climbing or crouch walking on the timed challenges. Also speed boosts in transformed states like Bullet Bill for example, there's a distant moon in the post-game set for Sand Kingdom that's impossible to get unless you're doing waggle boosts on top of high speed Bill blasting. Waggle also impacts other actions that are necessary for moon collecting like the Frog high jump. I'm 547 moons in and have found multiple moons now that are impossible without waggle.

I'd like to direct you to this thread- https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...-that-need-waggle-that-dont-need-waggle.3591/

Those two moons are indeed possible with no motion control, and we've been asking for other moons that people think are impossible without motion controls. So far it seems like there is nothing at all in this game that requires motion. You can indeed 100% it without using motion once.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've been playing a lot in handheld mode and it's been great and when I'm not in handheld mode I've been using the pro controller

I'm deep in the post game and haven't used motion once

you should be fine

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frog:

https://twitter.com/skitt2501/status/926235415597555712

On the Eastern Pillar (Sand Pillar Bullet Bill Moon):
https://twitter.com/NomComms/status/926235119492272128

No Moon in the game has been found that can only be obtained through using motion controls:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...-that-need-waggle-that-dont-need-waggle.3591/

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
With waggles you go faster than when you push Y repeatedly While rolling ?

Yeah and it's the same with the accelerate with bullet bills and any other creature that has a press Y to accelerate. They go faster if you waggle, I've also heard that climbing is faster if you waggle over pressing Y as well.

Regardless of whether they are accessible or not they are more difficult to obtain without waggle and that's a fundamental issue.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to direct you to this thread- https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...-that-need-waggle-that-dont-need-waggle.3591/

Those two moons are indeed possible with no motion control, and we've been asking for other moons that people think are impossible without motion controls. So far it seems like there is nothing at all in this game that requires motion. You can indeed 100% it without using motion once.
I'm not sure exceedingly difficult alternate solutions are really a legitimate substitute for a full control option but I'll concede. The game is only almost impossible to 100% without motion rather than literally impossible.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure exceedingly difficult alternate solutions are really a legitimate substitute for a full control option but I'll concede. The game is only almost impossible to 100% without motion rather than literally impossible.

Either way I'm at 900 moons now and those are the only two I initially used motion controls for, so it's easy to basically 99.999% the game without motion, at least it was to me. I never even thought about shaking when rolling since most other alternatives seemed faster to me, and none of the other transformation waggle moves outside of that frog jump and the bullet bill boost ever seemed necessary for anything at all.

Obviously it would be nice if they patched in a separate button prompt for waggle moves, but it's such a minor issue in the scope of the game, especially when it can be ignored entirely.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm? Why do you assume the alternate solutions are difficult at all? I mean, I don't have the game myself, so I'm not in a position to speak I suppose, but one of the alternate solutions for the Bullet Bill one (in the tweet I posted) is just throwing Cappy straight ahead of Mario, right in the Bullet Bill's path, and just holding the button to keep him there until he grabs the Bullet Bill automatically. That doesn't seem difficult, as long as you know the Bullet Bill's path. But like I said, I don't have the game, so I suppose I'm not really in a position to say, but looking at those "tricks" they don't seem too much worse than anything else in the game, but that's just based on appearance.

Either way, I definitely get what you're saying though. But then again, at the same time, it seems like kind of an odd thing to complain about too much when you consider that one of the other common complaints about Odyssey are that too many of the Moons are way too easy to get in the first place. If that's indeed the case, and stuff like this adds some spice and some actual challenge in the game, and makes it so that you can't just do everything the easy way, that would be a good thing either way right? To actually have some challenge, even if it ain't intentional challenge and is just "artificial challenge? Still challenge and keeps things interesting, keeps you thinking and on your toes, and is exactly the type of thing that forces you to actually think about all of the tools the game gives you and how and when to use them and all the ways you can combine them and stuff. Which is exactly what a 3D platformer of all things is really about to begin with, right--pushing all the tools they give you to the limit? That seems like a good thing to me. But that's me; all a matter of perspective and how you look and think about these type of things I guess. xD

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut

With waggles you go faster than when you push Y repeatedly While rolling ?

Isn't pressing Y/X the same thing?

Unfortunately mashing Y/X is not the same as waggle while rolling. The biggest time lost being uphill rolling. Waggle makes uphill speed much much faster.

I love speed running and have followed this game closely that's how I learned about waggle rolling existing at all haha.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Mashing Y while rolling has a cooldown while the motion one doesn't, that's definitely my least favorite thing looking at speedruns.

Oct 25, 2017
The controls are easily the least enjoyable thing about the game. There are so many buttons they could have used as alternate mappings, but even when they do, like with rolling, using the button is completely different than when shaking. It's so weird they insist on using motion for advanced play.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's only waggle for extra speed that is missing in handheld.

The downwards and upwards cap through are utterly pointless. Everything else is perfect. I actually really like docked for the side jump, which I find oddly hard on the pro controller.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But then you're already on the ground? Does he jump up again and throw the cap downward? That's neat, but also explained nowhere unless I've missed it.

Huh? No, he throws it while on the ground. What's the point of a downward throw in midair?

And yeah it's very frustrating that this isn't explained anywhere but a lot of things aren't, like the spin throw being done by spinning Mario then hitting Y.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
???

What's the point of a downward throw on the ground? The point of it is to be able to hit stuff below you. I'm very confused.

It goes further and follows slopes/cliffs downwards, that's the entire point of that throw...

Why throw it in midair when you can just wait until Mario falls down to where you're throwing...? I can't think of any use for that in midair at all...

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The motion control requirement is a glaring flaw on an otherwise masterpiece of a game. I don't see it getting patched and I also don't see Nintendo backing down from doing something similar in their future games; Zelda also had motion puzzles, ARMs has moves that are hard to pull off without motion (grab width), Splatoon2 doesn't require motion but is generally better with yet gimped in handheld (at certain angles).

It's really a shame. The developers really can't not be noticing the problem so I have to guess that its something that is actively enforced in their games by someone who can't let the Wii go.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The motion control requirement is a glaring flaw on an otherwise masterpiece of a game. I don't see it getting patched and I also don't see Nintendo backing down from doing something similar in their future games; Zelda also had motion puzzles, ARMs has moves that are hard to pull off without motion (grab width), Splatoon2 doesn't require motion but is generally better with yet gimped in handheld (at certain angles).

It's really a shame. The developers really can't not be noticing the problem so I have to guess that its something that is actively enforced in their games by someone who can't let the Wii go.
The game can be completed 100% without motion... Is up to you use the easy path or take the challenge.

lionpants

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is an exaggeration. You don't need waggle speed boosting to get any moons that you can't easily get with button speed boosting.
I just grabbed the last moon yesterday. Out of all the moons, there was one moon that seemed to require motion controls. I'm talking about the one in the Sand Kingdom that you need to blow up with the bullet bill on the pillar. It's not impossible without motion controls, but very tricky (and doesn't feel intended) without.

But ya, the motion controls are not really needed at all, they just help in some situations.