• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was planning on playing with my pro controller but that idea went out of the window pretty quickly when I saw how restricted the controls were

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Yep, this does my head in too. The last thing I want to do is shake my console when in handheld mode.

Using a pro controller setup when docked is fine though.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I can second this. Played through the game only in portable mode and got 400 Moons (completed 4 Kingdoms already) so far. Never needed Motion controls.
'needed' isn't really the point

Nintendo gave me an expanded move set, and I'd like the chance to use it reliably on other control schemes

even in the shell it's iffy

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
You all moaning about the motion controls when the biggest offence is that the dive is on a button combo that is similar to the ground pound :(

Never failed on a dive combo. The circling hat though, its 50% success rate, and usually fails when I'm surrounded by enemies or poison goo.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only motion-controlled action I've been doing regularly is the spin throw, and that can be done with regular controls (although less easily). The up/down throws I really haven't been doing much, although I'm only at 300-ish moons so far. Maybe there are some that require it.

EDIT: I have been doing homing throw a bit. That's not really needed though, just convenient in some situations.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing about 50/50 with split joycons and handheld and I have to say even in split joycons I find the motion controls way too unreliable to actually use, in particular then the up / down / circle throws. Comes out right maybe half of the time.

The circle throw I find easier to do just by spinning and then throwing. Homing thing I wish a bit easier, even in handheld is rather trivial to shake the thing, but there's no reason you couldn't just press Y a second time.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this has popped up on here already but I've played mainly docked with the pro, and I find it is MUCH easier to do the motion moves if you do it with just one hand.

Just take a hand off the pro and do the movement. It's been working for me 100% of the time. True, the only one I do is the circular toss, but it's totally reliable.

I have a much harder time doing it in handheld mode.

Radical Larry

Oct 28, 2017
X is a totally unused button for me so it would be nice if I could map certain actions to it. The only real issue I have is not being able to do the fast roll in handheld mode without violently shaking the switch. I know you can tap Y but for some stupid reason it's much slower than when using motion controls.

NeoRausch

Oct 25, 2017
While I would love an option to turn all that stuff off, I don't have any problem with it while using the pro.
Handheld mode though....

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X is a totally unused button for me so it would be nice if I could map certain actions to it. The only real issue I have is not being able to do the fast roll in handheld mode without violently shaking the switch. I know you can tap Y but for some stupid reason it's much slower than when using motion controls.

B/Y and A/X just being two copies of the same controls is pretty dumb. Why not use the buttons that are there for useful things.

And yeah, there's a lot of those "you can do this action with a button, but do it with waggle for more speed/power/whatever!". Most of this doesn't actually take advantage of the motion sensing in terms of directionality or similar, but only replaces a button press with a shake (exactly what people always complained about with the Wii). Like, why can't I just press Y again to do a homing throw? Why do I need to shake my controller, when a button would do the exact same thing? Just to make it more of a physical effort? Not sure why they felt the need to do that, but oh well.

In general, I think BotW has more useful motion controls than this game. There it's used for aiming bows etc, which is a clear improvement over traditional controls. Here it mainly just replaces button presses (the exception being the spinning/up/down throws).

Last edited:

OuijaLuigi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Yeah, this is my only gripe about the game at the moment. I don't really like motion controls at all and not offering an alternative seems counter-productive from Nintendo, I mean playing in handheld mode is a pretty big sell point on the switch after all. Sure, technically it's possible, you can do the upward and ground throw pretty easily as well as the homing throw, but you are still shaking the system and screen. And I haven't been able to do the circular throw once and it's iffy even while using the joy-cons detached. Well, the game is easy enough that you don't really need the throws but when motion controls are tied to movement it really sucks, like the roll speed or when you're possessing some critter. Hopefully this is addressed in a future update.

scrabbledude

Oct 27, 2017
I found a moon this morning that I needed to high jump as a frog to get. I had to shake my Switch around because I don't know how to do that otherwise.

There might have been another way to get it, but it was the obvious solution.

I haven't been impressed with not being able to map the motion controls to button presses, but the game is still amazing and I play 90% in handheld mode with attached joycons.

NightMarcher

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hawaii
I've been playing about 50/50 with split joycons and handheld and I have to say even in split joycons I find the motion controls way too unreliable to actually use, in particular then the up / down / circle throws. Comes out right maybe half of the time.

This speaks to my biggest concern. I've always appreciated Nintendo's games for their precise and polished gameplay, and do not like the necessitating of a control scheme that is so prone to ambiguity. Even if it works the majority of the time, I feel it nevertheless works to compromise one of Nintendo's greatest strengths. An option to opt out would resolve this, but they appear adamant on forcing this direction.

Nintendo's desire to innovate and differentiate is detrimentally affecting their gameplay. Past games have already suffered for it (Starfox, Skyward Sword). I want innovation, but not at such cost.

OuijaLuigi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
This speaks to my biggest concern. I've always appreciated Nintendo's game for their precise and polished gameplay, and do not like the necessitating of a control scheme that is so prone to ambiguity. Even if it works the majority of the time, I feel it nevertheless works to compromise one of Nintendo's greatest strengths. An option to opt out would resolve this, but they appear adamant on forcing this direction.

Nintendo's desire to innovate and differentiate is detrimentally affecting their gameplay. Past games have already suffered for it (Starfox, Skyward Sword). I want innovation, but not at such cost.

Precisely. Sure, have these controls in the game but give us the choice to opt out of them. For a product this polished it seems ridiculous not to have that choice.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah people are being too perfectionists. I play with detached JoyCons and very rarely use the motion controls. They are ankward as in any game that uses it. Throwing the cap in a straight line is more than enough.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It's safe to say this has been completely over-blown, and this is coming from the guy that defends Galaxy's motion controls.

I started playing with joycons, but switched to the pro-controller after a few hours and have completed the game and continued using it. You might want to use the joycons occasionally as they make things easier/faster for certain actions, but motion controls really aren't required to enjoy the game.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
I've had no problem playing with the pro controller

dunno about handheld mode tho. I use the spinning hat throw by holding the pro in my left hand only and flicking it whole, which is kind of hard to imagine doing it handheld

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they can patch this in, it's a real shame to be limited in moveset. I wonder how they could do it elegantly, though.

NightMarcher

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hawaii
Precisely. Sure, have these controls in the game but give us the choice to opt out of them. For a product this polished it seems ridiculous not to have that choice.
It's baffling why they'd do so with their flagship title. I have to admit, being predominantly a portable user, I'm more than a bit hesitant about Metroid. Nothing like some good Samus action in bed. Hopefully this was just an oversight and a patch is incoming.

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on playing with my pro controller but that idea went out of the window pretty quickly when I saw how restricted the controls were
Don't disregard it straight away, try it out first.

I've finished the game yesterday with the pro controller and I never had a problem with having to use motion controls to reach moons, and I've been trying to get as many moons as I can before moving to the next kingdom.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what the deal is with the joycons, but the motion controls seem far laggier than even the original Wiimote. In Galaxy when I was caught off guard by an enemy I could still shake the controller and spin them away almost instantaneously, but in Odyssey when I shake the joycon it seems to add an extra quarter second or so of lag before throwing the cap, so I'm basically forced to use the button controls instead if I want to avoid damage in those situations. Maybe it's my TV (I play all my Wii games on a CRT, Switch is hooked up to an LED) but the button controls don't seem that much laggier than they were on the Wii. The directional motion inputs also seem more difficult to pull off than they were with the Wiimote Plus in titles like Skyward Sword and Red Steel 2. And the gyro aiming is a huge downgrade over IR as well. Bring back the Wiimote Nintendo!

Last edited:

OuijaLuigi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
It's baffling why they'd do so with their flagship title. I have to admit, being predominantly a portable user, I'm more than a bit hesitant about Metroid. Nothing like some good Samus action in bed. Hopefully this was just an oversight and a patch is incoming.

Oh man, haven't even thought of that. One of the reasons I've been putting off Prime 3 is the motion controls. I just dislike them too much. I played skyward sword years after release because I couldn't get into the controls and had to practically force myself to play it through eventually. But I think they'll have it playable in handheld mode, otherwise they'll just shoot themselves in the leg.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Don't disregard it straight away, try it out first.

I've finished the game yesterday with the pro controller and I never had a problem with having to use motion controls to reach moons, and I've been trying to get as many moons as I can before moving to the next kingdom.
I was using it until mid Sand Kingdom, then realized that there was more I could do with motion controls and have used those since

PerilousInJ

Oct 25, 2017
I found a moon this morning that I needed to high jump as a frog to get. I had to shake my Switch around because I don't know how to do that otherwise.

There might have been another way to get it, but it was the obvious solution.

I haven't been impressed with not being able to map the motion controls to button presses, but the game is still amazing and I play 90% in handheld mode with attached joycons.

This was the same point I was going to bring up. This moon in particular didn't seem to have any other solution than using the motion control to get the extra high jump. Does anyone have an example of another way to get this moon or does it actually require the motion controls?

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
This speaks to my biggest concern. I've always appreciated Nintendo's games for their precise and polished gameplay, and do not like the necessitating of a control scheme that is so prone to ambiguity. Even if it works the majority of the time, I feel it nevertheless works to compromise one of Nintendo's greatest strengths. An option to opt out would resolve this, but they appear adamant on forcing this direction.

Nintendo's desire to innovate and differentiate is detrimentally affecting their gameplay. Past games have already suffered for it (Starfox, Skyward Sword). I want innovation, but not at such cost.[/QUOTE
Same. I really value precision and. Thing feels less imprecise than shaking your controller around. Nintendo just needs to abandon motion controls the same way MS abandoned the Kinect. This shit is getting ridiculous.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people not realize you can spin with the analogue stick and then throw your hat, which causes the hat to do the circular motion?

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
How do you do a dive at all? I honestly don't know the button combo after a triple jump etc. I just keep throwing Cappy.

while jumping, press crouch. This will make mario do a spin in midair to do the butt stomp, but while mario is spinning, press the cappy-throwing button again. This will interrupt the butt stomp and make Mario dive

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sucks for me as for some reason my joy cons or procontroller won't work wireless anymore, and Nintendo refuse to fix the switch as it has a small crack on the power button :(

The crack happened within a month of owning and been fine since, then my right joy con wouldn't work while docked, then sent the joycon and switch for repair, they sent me a new joy con and a non fixed switch which now doesn't work with any devices wirelessly!!

By far my worst Nintendo experience ever

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's pretty annoying, I just got the Mario bundle on Friday and have put in several hours only playing in portable mode. I did remove the joycons a few times to test it out and the game is much easier when you have access to the motion controls.

Do people not realize you can spin with the analogue stick and then throw your hat, which causes the hat to do the circular motion?
Yes, most of us realize that some of the actions do have alternative methods. But the spin attack for instance, fails a good amount of the time. It's not the type of input you'll pull off perfectly in the heat of the moment. I've read here that you can actually dive with a button combo and I have absolutely no idea how that one works.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
On further play this doesn't bother my at all!
  • Throw hat up is a little tricky as it is as half the time Mario just throws it or throws it down,
  • Hat throw down is pointless as its thrown almost at that level as it is,
  • spinny hat throw can be done without motion
  • Homing throw isn't brilliant but is the only action I've found so far that could be useful, but can be lived without

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love having to shake my switch in public like a fucking toddler. Lady asked me if I was ok this morning. She thought I was having a seizure.
Sounds like you're shaking too hard. I played Odyssey in public for about an hour and a half earlier waiting on a ride, and never once had to use motion controls for anything. It's such a nonissue. A good amount of motion control moves actually have button inputs too, they just don't tel you for some reason which is an actual issue.

This was the same point I was going to bring up. This moon in particular didn't seem to have any other solution than using the motion control to get the extra high jump. Does anyone have an example of another way to get this moon or does it actually require the motion controls?
I'm not sure which moon you're talking about, but could t be done by regular jumping > ditch the frog > combo of hat jumping and dive?

Ant78

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got a chance to play this last night and tried the motion controls first. Yuck, I absolutely hate them and how imprecise they can be just like I hated the wiimote + nunchuk combo on Wii, so it's back to playing without some of these moves. It's doubly annoying having so many unused buttons on the controller that could easily be used for some of these moves that are seemingly motion only.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well I beat the game and am in the post game, still haven't used the motion controls once

so far it really just seems like the motion control stuff is just further assistance for players that need it such as lowering the skill required to do the spin move or having a homing attack for cappy

we'll see what happens in the post game but so far this has been even less than a non issue for me

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I do enjoy playing with split joycons but it seems weird to limit it this way (especially considering handheld mode) when you have both sets of shoulder buttons being used to do the same things.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
I only play it with the Pro controller but I absolutely hate that they've hidden some actions behind moving the controller around. I have no issues with it being there as an option for people who want to do that and as much as I love this game, for me it's probably the biggest design issue I've seen in a Mario game so far.

I know this isn't made by Nintendo but it is officially licensed by them for this game but it doesn't even support motion controls so if you buy the Super Mario Odyssey controller it's going to be more difficult to do some of the moves that are there to help you play the game.

iu

I do feel like this is a mistake by Nintendo and I would be surprised if they didn't fix this at some point.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
If the enhanced versions of moves aren't needed, why are they in the game? If they are needed, why aren't they accessible via the unused buttons? This game's control scheme just makes no sense to me.

NightMarcher

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hawaii
Oh man, haven't even thought of that. One of the reasons I've been putting off Prime 3 is the motion controls. I just dislike them too much. I played skyward sword years after release because I couldn't get into the controls and had to practically force myself to play it through eventually. But I think they'll have it playable in handheld mode, otherwise they'll just shoot themselves in the leg.

The Prime games were some of the few that I feel actually really benefited from motion controls, but that was due to them being very rudimentary in implementation (simple IR pointer). Pikmin 3 and the Galaxies were great as there was no room for error. A simple pointer, a simple waggle. 100%, everytime. With the exception of Skyward Sword, I'd be hard pressed to qualify them as motion controls in the same sense that Odyssey is being criticized for.

The problem with the approach Odyssey takes is that five different motions are on the same device, and that introduces a lot of potential for misinterpretation. To do that and not offer button alternatives in a franchise that demands such precision and dependability in its gameplay is just nuts. I hear you on Skyward Sword....the only Zelda I couldn't bring myself to finish. Matthewmatosis's YT review put it best.

I was thrilled at the Switch reveal, if for no other reason than believing the various form factors would force Nintendo to accommodate portable use with traditional controls alongside motion controls that they could offer for docked mode. I've come to the point that Nintendo usually doesn't surprise me anymore with some very questionable decisions they make, but Odyssey is definitely an eyebrow raiser.

Last edited:

AaronB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can second this. Played through the game only in portable mode and got 400 Moons (completed 4 Kingdoms already) so far. Never needed Motion controls.

I don't think everyone's point is that they can't beat the game. I think it's that Nintendo created these new moves, and then require motion control to use them even though there are unused/duplicated buttons on the controller. I mean, it's just another idiotic Nintendo-thing that makes absolutely no sense...

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to doing playing it myself and...

Yall gotta be overreacting big time. I can do the spin by flicking my wrist to the right , do the up throw by flicking both my wrists up and do the ground straight ahead throw by flicking both my wrists down. I can also do the homing throw by flicking my wrist with less force than what I do for the spin. I should mention that I did this with the joy con grip.

Yes, it will be a problem if you have issues with your wrists, I do agree that there should be an option for disabled players, but if you have working wrists and properly calibrated joycons then it shouldnt be an issue at ALL. But then again, I came in here expecting waggle, and its not that bad at all.