• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my one gripe with the game. Playing with Pro Controller and something feels off the entire time, like I was playing something on an emulator not using official console controller, but I am using official controller.

Why do we have duplicate buttons for jump, hat throw and crouch, wouldn't it be much better to have motion controls mapped to buttons for better compatibility and more options?

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on playing with my pro controller but that idea went out of the window pretty quickly when I saw how restricted the controls were
You only lose one move with Pro Controller (aerial down throw), so they're not restricted at all. I've been playing with Pro Controller and it's great.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my one gripe with the game. Playing with Pro Controller and something feels off the entire time, like I was playing something on an emulator not using official console controller, but I am using official controller.

Why do we have duplicate buttons for jump, hat throw and crouch, wouldn't it be much better to have motion controls mapped to buttons for better compatibility and more options?
I was feeling the same way so I tried the split joycons and I didn't like playing that way at all. Also discovered my left joycon has the disconnect issue.

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Playing with pro controller has been great, all motion controls work perfectly and I can trigger any of them without accidentally triggering the wrong one. I'm probably 8 or so hours in.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Do people not realize you can spin with the analogue stick and then throw your hat, which causes the hat to do the circular motion?
Probably not because I'm pretty sure the game only gives you motion controls in the guide

I don't mind it so much, disappointed that they're not all optional. I think it's a pretty good case for a pro joycon tho. Those sticks are so tiny, I want to play with my pro controller so comically large sticks for a 3d platformer.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at
moons using only the pro controller and handheld mode and haven't felt limited at all so far.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what moves can't you do without motion? The only ones I know of are homing and vertical hat toss. Everything else can be done with shaking.

OuijaLuigi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
The Prime games were some of the few that I feel actually really benefited from motion controls, but that was due to them being very rudimentary in implementation (simple IR pointer). Pikmin 3 and the Galaxies were great as there was no room for error. A simple pointer, a simple waggle. 100%, everytime. With the exception of Skyward Sword, I'd be hard pressed to qualify them as motion controls in the same sense that Odyssey is being criticized for.

The problem with the approach Odyssey takes is that five different motions are on the same device, and that introduces a lot of potential for misinterpretation. To do that and not offer button alternatives in a franchise that demands such precision and dependability in its gameplay is just nuts. I hear you on Skyward Sword....the only Zelda I couldn't bring myself to finish. Matthewmatosis's YT review put it best.

I was thrilled at the Switch reveal, if for no other reason than believing the various form factors would force Nintendo to accommodate portable use with traditional controls alongside motion controls that they could offer for docked mode. I've come to the point that Nintendo usually doesn't surprise me anymore with some very questionable decisions they make, but Odyssey is definitely an eyebrow raiser.

Hmm, I might have to give Prime 3 a shot then.

And yeah, the motion controls worked well in Mario Galaxy just because they weren't as prevalent as in Skyward Sword. The slashing motions were fun the first few times(when it worked as intended) but quickly you just started to cheese the motions and hope for the best. I'll have to check that review.

FedEx Latte

Oct 27, 2017
At first I thought the spin move had to be motion but it doesn't. You just spin the control stick then attack. The only one I don't know how to do without motion so far is through cappy straight up but I'm sure there is a way.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to doing playing it myself and...

Yall gotta be overreacting big time. I can do the spin by flicking my wrist to the right , do the up throw by flicking both my wrists up and do the ground straight ahead throw by flicking both my wrists down. I can also do the homing throw by flicking my wrist with less force than what I do for the spin. I should mention that I did this with the joy con grip.

Yes, it will be a problem if you have issues with your wrists, I do agree that there should be an option for disabled players, but if you have working wrists and properly calibrated joycons then it shouldnt be an issue at ALL. But then again, I came in here expecting waggle, and its not that bad at all.
Ummm what? lol

The issue is not having an option for motion control only moves when playing with the joy cons attached to the Switch. People don't want to shake and wave around their system like a madman, certainly not when playing in public. No one is saying the motion controls are too difficult...

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ummm what? lol

The issue is not having an option for motion control only moves when playing with the joy cons attached to the Switch. People don't want to shake and wave around their system like a madman, certainly not when playing in public. No one is saying the motion controls are too difficult...

I could have sworn that people were giving of that impression. I might have gotten confused with a different fourm. Anyways, with the joycons attached I didnt see too much of a difference. I didnt get to test that mode as much as I'd like before having to crash but what little I did didn't seem too bad either. The only motion ( these are of the ones that I've come a cross I havent gotten far enough to play with a hammerbro yet for example) that might equate to waving your device around like a maniac like you said would be the spin motion. And that one has a convenient button only shortcut.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Even more disappointing is that it has many buttons with the same actions. It's not like they ran out of buttons.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I could have sworn that people were giving of that impression. I might have gotten confused with a different fourm. Anyways, with the joycons attached I didnt see too much of a difference. I didnt get to test that mode as much as I'd like before having to crash but what little I did didn't seem too bad either. The only motion ( these are of the ones that I've come a cross I havent gotten far enough to play with a hammerbro yet for example) that might equate to waving your device around like a maniac like you said would be the spin motion. And that one has a convenient button only shortcut.
Yeah, the spin one fails for me maybe 25% of the time. I don't think there are alternatives for the upward, downward, or homing throws though. That said, I actually haven't run into any parts of the game that absolutely required them. For me it's more of an inconvenience than a full blown issue.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
This was definitely my con about Super Mario Odyssey. Not only do some extra moves require separate joycons/motion, but the game may explain some things to you that you can't do anyway if you're on a handheld. Making Cappy spin around Mario is actually possible to do with purely buttons, but the game doesn't tell you that if I remember correctly. It instead tells how to do it with motion controls, although you can perform it by having Mario spin in place before throwing Cappy.

It didn't make me struggle from finishing the game at all, but a couple Power Moons after the credits had me convinced that I needed to detach the joycons so I could do the extra moves and reach a Power Moon (like performing an extra jump as a frog).

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they patch in alternatetives and make joystick/controller controls atleast as good as motion.

Both control shemes should work as wel evenly imo. Played in handheld mode @ school today and pulling off the spin attack more quicker or faster rolling/climbing is pretty irritating.

Chooch

Oct 27, 2017
Even more disappointing is that it has many buttons with the same actions. It's not like they ran out of buttons.
Thats so you can hold one button and the press the same button but a different button, if you know what i mean. So hold down Y for cap spin, keep it held, then throw it again with the other cap throw button.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
They should really patch in alternative control schemes. Even pro controller feels pretty bad when doing some of the motion control movements.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I thought this would be a bigger problem than it actually is. After about 350 moons I've only had one where I actually needed motion, and all I had to do was shake the device in handheld mode and it worked just fine.

I haven't yet found a time where the "shake to go faster" movements are needed at all. And most seem like a marginal improvement at best.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they patch in alternatetives and make joystick/controller controls atleast as good as motion.

Both control shemes should work as wel evenly imo. Played in handheld mode @ school today and pulling off the spin attack more quicker or faster rolling/climbing is pretty irritating.

I really don't understand why they made waggle roll straight up faster than the button press, the fastest movement in the game is via constant flicks. It's dumb.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought the spin move had to be motion but it doesn't. You just spin the control stick then attack. The only one I don't know how to do without motion so far is through cappy straight up but I'm sure there is a way.

Oh shit this is a game changer for me

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who prefers to use the Pro Controller for most games, this is disappointing but, honestly, I have nothing against the split Joy-Cons. In fact, they work fine here and I'm comfortable. But I just prefer a more traditional controller. Regardless, I feel if you're going to state the game supports a controller, I should easily be able to pull off the same actions as I would with any other controller.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As somebody who prefers to use the Pro Controller for most games, this is disappointing but, honestly, I have nothing against the split Joy-Cons. In fact, they work fine here and I'm comfortable. But I just prefer a more traditional controller. Regardless, I feel if you're going to state the game supports a controller, I should easily be able to pull off the same actions as I would with any other controller.
After I bought Pro Controller I just can't go back to JoyCons. The only time I use JoyCons now is in handheld mode. Feels like I got somewhat betrayed, I bought this expensive controller yet it's getting sub par support in their flagship title.

lionpants

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I tried my joy-cons and ran into the desyncing issue again. Sigh.

I'll have to do another switch-a-roo with Amazon I guess.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why they couldn't have added button presses to accomplish some of this stuff. I don't feel like all the buttons are even being used.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There isn't. Same with the downward throw. I can't say I've used those moves a lot though.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4 worlds in as an handheld player and I totally get the issue. Heck, without this thread, I would not even know you could to the spin throw without waggle.

There are enough buttons for all the moves but they just didn't map the actions. Considering the nature of the "SWITCH", leaving out the handheld crowd is just a bad move by Nintendo.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Someone seriously needs to change the title of this thread, every single move is possible in handheld mode or with the pro controller, just not as easy to pull off.

Also it turns out you can 100% this game without using motion controls once.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After few days playing the game... The overreactions in this thread are insane... the game is fully 100% playable without motion controls.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
My biggest complaint about the game since day one. It makes no sense to have multiple buttons on the switch do the same thing and relegate certain things to only waggle controls... I mean ZR/ZL do the same things as do A/B and pretty sure the a few other buttons are the exact same... and it makes no sense whatsoever to have multiple buttons do the same action when some other moves could be set to those.

It's truly maddening and seems like a huge oversight by Nintendo, or it's just forced to maintain that Mario has simple controls when they very easily could just put in different button presets depending on if you want to use waggle controls or full button. But Nintendo gonna Nintendo arbitrarily locking a controls to a very specific play style that they think is superior same shit with Star Fox and other titles.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't. Same with the downward throw. I can't say I've used those moves a lot though.

Its possible for down throwing

Someone seriously needs to change the title of this thread, every single move is possible in handheld mode or with the pro controller, just not as easy to pull off.

Do you know how to do the upthrow? I've been trying to figure it out but I can't. After finding the down throw, im sure its possible, but I dont know how.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I think what bothers me the most is actually how the game constantly tries to shove that down your throat, and acts like portable play doesn't exist, when it's 50% of what the console is. The game starts with a long unskipable screen showing you how to unplugged your joycons, and tells you every 2 seconds how to make special moves with the motion control, as the default, unique way to do them. It's like they don't want you to play in portable mode AT ALL.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA

After few days playing the game... The overreactions in this thread are insane... the game is fully 100% playable without motion controls.

You 100% cannot roll, and do the other motion that requires you to alternate the joy cons at all in handheld mode this is fundamentally flawed.

Playable while it may be, it doesn't make it ok that a main selling point of the system being handheld mode is gimped by set controls that make lots of moves incredibly difficult to pull off in that mode. That's not good game design, multiple play styles and control choices deserves multiple control inputs, especially when so many buttons share functionality with another button there is absolutely no excuse other then Nintendo wanting you to play a certain way which they are notorious for.

This is 2017 all games should come with different control options not as just a choice for players but something for disabled gamers and gamers who suffer from afflictions that require them to hold controllers a certain way.

potato

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was initially very disappointed. But as I played I found those moves non-essential.

The spin throw could've made some battles easier but I made it through.

But I agree, OP.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
If you ground pound then immediately throw your hat, you can throw your hat downwards. Still don't know how to throw Cappy upwards without motion controls though

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know how to do the upthrow? I've been trying to figure it out but I can't. After finding the down throw, im sure its possible, but I dont know how.

Without motion? I don't believe so, no. But it's not too hard to do the upswing motion in handheld mode.

You 100% cannot roll, and do the other motion that requires you to alternate the joy cons at all in handheld mode this is fundamentally flawed.

Playable while it may be, it doesn't make it ok that a main selling point of the system being handheld mode is gimped by set controls that make lots of moves incredibly difficult to pull off in that mode. That's not good game design, multiple play styles and control choices deserves multiple control inputs, especially when so many buttons share functionality with another button there is absolutely no excuse other then Nintendo wanting you to play a certain way which they are notorious for.

This is 2017 all games should come with different control options not as just a choice for players but something for disabled gamers and gamers who suffer from afflictions that require them to hold controllers a certain way.

What are you talking about? You can roll just as easily, you can get the roll boost pressing Y, and the bigger motion boost by just lightly shaking the Switch or the pro controller. I never claimed every move is possible without motion, just that every move is 100% possible in handheld mode or with the pro controller, as those control schemes support motion. I feel like a lot of people keep forgetting that every control scheme usable with the Switch (Nintendo's official ones anyway) use the exact same rumble actuators and gyro sensors.

I do agree that it would be nice if they also mapped those moves to buttons (and actually explained the ones that are already mapped to buttons) but that doesn't mean the thread title is correct. It's factually incorrect.

Interesting, it's this moon I was thinking of

https://youtu.be/0t4DKfl5Gt0?t=55

Yeah, see this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...-that-need-waggle-that-dont-need-waggle.3591/

Nobody has been able to come up with a single moon in the game that isn't doable without motion controls. Even if some (like this and the eastern pillar one) seemed to be designed with motion controls in mind, you still don't need to use motion to 100% the game.