• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
maxresdefault.jpg

The 3dRudder is a hands-free solution for VR gaming movement. The device sits on the floor with your feet on top of it, and using your feet you control movement inside of games. It works using pressure sensors, so if you move your feet forward slightly you'll move forward. Push backwards a little and you'll move backwards, and so on and so forth. However, it is only to be used while seated and it is not to be stood on. This may sound like a downside, but in reality it'll be handy for those with limited space and so can't make use of room-scale games (not that we PSVR players have such a luxury).
The device has actually been available for a while for PC users, but now 3dRunner is coming to PlayStation VR in partnership with Sony. The company behind the device will also be partnering with numerous developers to implement 3dRudder into their games. According to the press release notes, it is expected that 30 PSVR games will be compatible with 3dRudder upon release with more to follow in the future.
The 3dRudder goes for $99.95 over on the official website, so it's likely we'll see a similar price for the PSVR-compatible model.

3ddruder-psvr-final.png

https://www.3drudder.com/

http://pureplaystation.com/ces-2019...E66SOev4c5olIY8pexDqAJEGx6HCYcLXa9yPvEf_Dv4yo

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Are you shitting me? This is not what the community wants. Reminds me of the shitty psvr headset headphones that looked cool but sound like dog shit.

Pass.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be curious exactly which games it's compatible with and how it's implemented. (Patches for those games?)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This looks awful and I can see it being horrible for motion sickness.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know me, and I promise I'll fall over like a sack of potatoes using this thing. I fall over playing Sprint Vector and my feet are planted on the ground.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Can a 3rd party make a Move controller with an analog stick? That's what we all want if sony won't do it.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I guess to remove motion sickness that people get in VR while moving, is reduced/removed by this.

Very smart idea, I'm fine moving in VR but More choice for those who are not is always welcome.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if it could be used to help people who struggle with fine motor control issues to play games.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Best use I could see it being used for is Skyrim VR. Their website even has a banner saying "Imagine playing skyrim and using this device. That'd free your hands for the sword and shield."

However, their list of compatible games so far doesn't include Skyrim....so I'll wait and see.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
But.. won't rotating still cause the same amount of motion sickness? Thats the biggest offender

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
$99 really? For that? And folks will not follow the warnings and will stand on it and hurt themselves.

Sony should have worked with the makers of DualPlay...AND it would have been cheap.

0abbe8_84fa2faa5d8445ce99cf0a3776e91f5a.gif

j9IJV7cLtqvCOKLsd6cTbSX4etQsSLPYX0EjwXq84-U-555x368.jpg

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Seems like a decent compromise for people who can't do roomscale VR but also I'd rather just use a stick at that point

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't a flat board like the Wii balance board offer the same level of control without the possibility of it sliding around? Looks like it could be neat but I wonder how much it really helps with vr motion sickness

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like one of those discussions of what you expected, and what you got type of things.

I came in here so excited "what could hands free mean for a PSVR ver.2 controller". I'm quite sad now.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, playing a horror game and you try to run away by actually running and stomp the shit out of it, or get scared and slam a foot or both feet down and RIP.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was feeling bizarre because this has been in the market for the past 2 years on pc,

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Would like to see a list with the 30 supported titles.

Could be funny for games like Skyrim or Borderlands 2.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Their store says 119 € and the list of games for PSVR isn't really promising so far. But since this will release in April that list will probably improve. I can see this being great for Skyrim and Borderlands. But I'm so used to the move control scheme in these games by now that I don't know if it's worth it to re-learn using this. I will have to look into this and see what PC users are saying about this...

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Their store says 119 € and the list of games for PSVR isn't really promising so far. But since this will release in April that list will probably improve. I can see this being great for Skyrim and Borderlands. But I'm so used to the move control scheme in these games by now that I don't know if it's worth it to re-learn using this. I will have to look into this and see what PC users are saying about this...

Where is a list ?

Edit:

Found it but there are only 7 titles until now.

Last edited:

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Here's a better idea:
OCULUS-Touch-Controller--Controller--Schwarz

Just operating an analog stick with your legs seems effing stupid. It's neither more natural nor easier.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017