1. Raptomex

Raptomex
    Member OP

This thread is brought to you by litebrite. Made possible by the Adopt-a-User Program.

For people who question how well Black Panther will do in China.

A couple of days ago Chadwick Boseman won "Most Popular Actor in China" award during the 13th Annual Chinese American Film Festival.

https://shadowandact.com/chadwick-b...ctor-in-china-black-talent-does-sell-overseas

2. Not Matt Damon?

[​IMG]

3. ShadowFox

ShadowFox

If BP grosses the most in a China in the MCU I’m going to laugh my ass off

4. Black Panther $1bn confirmed.

5. I’m seeing it but I don’t believe it. Great news though and I really hope it’s something that translates into success for BP and less of the nonsense with marketing “adjustments” like what we saw with Star Wars & 12 Years.

6. Shugga

Shugga

Black Panther $4bn confirmed.

7. China gives a fuck.

8. Neece

Neece

That's surprising. I would think it would be one of those Fast and Furious actors, like The Rock.

Very encouraging though. I'd be overjoyed to see BP do really well in international markets because I'm already convinced it will do amazing numbers domestically.

9. ArgyleReptile

ArgyleReptile

Super weird and unexpected, but super cool and makes me even more hyped for Black Panther's reception.

10. Tonedeff

Tonedeff
    Banned Member

And a bruh at that? Nice

11. Cream

Cream
    Banned Member

Maybe Feige knew.

12. jph139

jph139

This makes me hopeful that the "Hide the black dudes!" approach to Chinese marketing is due to out of touch executives rather than popular sentiment.

13. We gon' eat
    It's actually not too surprising, considering Fate of the Furious and Fast Seven are the highest grossing American movies in China of all time

14. spindashing

spindashing

He deserves it.

15. fallengorn

fallengorn
    Community Resettler Member

I guess we need to rollback those Martin Freeman poster photoshops.

16. Thats surprising given how movie posters with major black protagonists are usually edited for China

17. Hydrus

Hydrus

Whelp, I don't think anyone saw that coming.

18. Anas

Anas

Vin Diesel had like 3 hit movies in China this year

I'm still confused why they chose Chadwick and Black Panther isn't out yet, which is good because the anticipation will be higher and maybe it will gross over 300M$ in china

19. BossAttack

BossAttack

Wow, really? I thought China hated us black folk?

20. Chaos2Frozen

Chaos2Frozen

Sometimes, just when you thought you have something figured out, life gives you a big pleasant surprise.

21. Anas

Anas

edit: double post

22. mreddie

mreddie

Huh.

23. Ramjag

Ramjag

Hell yeah. Hope they come out for black panther.

24. Sgt. Demblant

Sgt. Demblant

Martin Freeman is crying in a corner somewhere.

25. Lotus

Lotus

Black Panther gonna make bank lmfao

26. Kinthey

Kinthey

Was there another instance of this besides Star Wars?

27. IceBringer

IceBringer

Black Panther's gonna be huge

28. jelly

jelly

I always thought they were a bit racist, the editing of posters. Guess not then?

29. Ramjag

Ramjag

12 years a slave had a big image of brad Pitt even though he was in it for like 10 minutes. I’ve not really seen it otherwise.

30. Volimar

Volimar

Good for him but yeah I expected Damon lol.

31. Christian

Christian

Welp, Black Panther gon’ eat.

32. litebrite

litebrite

"Boseman received the top honor in reaction to what CAFF says is his growing popularity in China, thanks to films he's starred in that have opened in the country, including Gods of Egypt, 42, and Captain America: Civil War, as well as anticipation for the upcoming Black Panther."

33. Einchy

Einchy

It's honestly really weird how this is something that picked up a lot of traction in the old place. It seemed like the only case was when they moved around some characters on that TFA poster and reduced Finn's size but that was it, their was never any other examples brought up. I mean, China might be super racist, I dunno, but there really wasn't more than one example.

34. 12 Years a Slave, that was either China or Japan I think

35. Hydrus

Hydrus

Wait, hold up. This festival was in the US and put on by Chinese- Americans. Does this really count as China?

36. Kinthey

Kinthey

That was Italy

37. ethanradd

ethanradd

How Sway?

38. Well nevermind me then. Maybe its not as much as an issue as I thought

39. Dust

Dust

Kinda surprised, was Civil War that impactful?

40. litebrite

litebrite

"CAFF is organized by EDI Media and supported by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television of China (SAPPRFT) and the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the U.S. and it draws in celebrities and other high profile industry personnel from both the United States and China."

41. Ramjag

Ramjag

Ahh. I wasn’t sure because it always got posted in threads about China adverts or something. Well damn, guess it was just Star Wars then.

42. BossAttack

BossAttack

TFA wasn't the only example, there have been plenty of stories about how dark skinned people have been treated in China and the picture was rarely good. Thus, this is a pleasant surprise.

43. Neece

Neece

I just watched the video and he mentions that his latest movie Marshall had Chinese producers. So it's likely that this "award" at the film festival was always going to go towards a star from a Chinese produced film that would show up to accept the award. Not that it means nothing, but looking at the politics involved, the award had a specific purpose (all awards do, obviously).

44. EN1GMA

EN1GMA

Wolf Warrior 2 is in trouble.

45. Dragun

Dragun

Now, Just imagine how much a Kobe Bryant biopic starring Chadwick Boseman would do in China.

46. JDSN

JDSN

I remember with Dr Strange people rushing for explanations for the whitewashing and many outright said that the chinese hated people from Tíbet.

Maybe fans, marketing teams and execs are projecting their own biases on foreign markets?

47. Anas

Anas

I know
    but Vin had bigger hits than his
    The only good movie between those three is Civil War, I'm not sure about 42, but GoE is straight up trash

Vin Diesel on the other hand had : Fast 7,8 , GoTG2 , XxX3 they all did way better than Chadwick's movies

And let us not forget Frank Grillo, which he also had a role in Civil War and the biggest Chinese hit to date WOLF WARRIORS 2

but after all I guess the box office performances isn't related to this award

48. Jarmel

Jarmel

That’s super surprising.

49. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway
    Self-Requested Ban Member

We're in the Twilight Zone..

50. ShadowSwordmaster

ShadowSwordmaster
    Community Resetter Member

That is really cool.