• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Release Date Announced for December 8th 2022:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jbJwEWOm0

DEMO OUT NOW (Steam + Windows Only):

UPDATE 2019-03-07: Kickstarter Campaign has ended! 165k+ raised between Kickstarter and Paypal.

Slacker-Backer site open until end of March, all funds will go towards existing stretch goals.

Slacker-backer\Paypal Link

Kickstarter Link (campaign over)

Dev is a member here on ERA! Ark Heiral

I'm not associated with this game in any way, but it looks cool as hell to me.

Stuff I noticed and Dev notes:

• Stuff I noticed
    • Chrono-Trigger style overworld fights
      • You walk into an enemy and you fight right there.
    • Turn-based battle with visible order displayed in HUD
    • Overdrive gauge that gives you bonuses to your attacks\abilities but punishes you for overextending yourself.
  • Dev notes
    • Skill Tree Builds
      • You learn skills through a classic skill tree. Each character has its own tree.
      • In order to use them in battle you need to "equip" those skills.
      • Since the amount of equippable slots is limited you won't be able to take all skills into battle and will have to experiment with different builds.
      • Each skill has 3 levels. You will get skill points after battles that you can spend on leveling those skills."
    • Tag Team Battle System
      • You take 4 characters into battle.
      • Every character is linked to another character outside of battle and can switch with them anytime.
      • This triggers special skills when the new character enters.
      • It also prevents overextending on the overdrive bar.

The Key Points They List:
  • 20-25 hours of play time
  • Fast paced turn-based battles
  • No random encounters; enemies can be seen running around
  • Tons of items to be looted, stolen or crafted
  • Complex skill and equipment system
  • Customize your own airship
  • Travel and fight by foot or in your Mech
  • 16-bit SNES style graphics
  • Music inspired by PSX RPGs

Pitch Video:

GIFS!

ca7481666704cc9c2f28d2cb2d67423b_original.gif

3da48036c47fb13fd91a380e5f0f0537_original.gif

6c5efd0506cdeed8a2d3e2259041ffee_original.gif

Presskit Link for HIGH RES STUFF

Music:

Timeline:

dc1c5036f0028afdb2b41534ee77ab92_original.png

Stretch Goals:

8ee4fd49d90a31819b0f9681207ba842_original.png

d9d2eabd619603c75b5a0194868899fe_original.png

Final Notes:

Overall this looks cool as hell to me, and I hope it makes it to the end.
They've already put 2 years of work into this before asking for money, which gives me some confidence about it making it to the end.

I understand the apprehension from people about crowdfunded games, but please don't turn this thread into a giant argument about the concept. Obviously if the devs end up going down a bad path, call them out, but don't use this thread to grind your axe because you got burned before.

Burn the thread like Lahan village if it's a dupe...

Last edited:
OP
OP
mentallyinept

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Skipping Update 1\2 since they are basically just donation amount updates.

Update 3:

Today I want to explain to you the basic mechanics of the Chained Echoes battle system. They are the foundation you build your strategies on, in order to fight against your enemies effectively. Please note that the UI is not final and will include colorblind options.

The key features of the Chained Echoes' battle system - aside from the special encounter system - are the Overdrive and Tag Team system. But first of all, the basics:

Chained Echoes is an RPG with a turn-based battle system. Every character acts according to the turn order, which is shown in the upper right corner and is tied to the actor's speed stat. This allows the player the ability to strategize ahead for a few turns.

bb5457c414ff789fccb3438834d0dad0_original.png

The characters have Health Points (HP) and Technique Points (TP). Technique points are important, as they serve as the resource for the character's skills.
In the bottom left window, the player can choose the current character's action. The skills on the right show a color representing the type of the skill. There are physical attack, magic attack, healing, buffing, debuffing and utility type of skills. This will be important in a second.

031381d7a083c82059f68cbdbe44676b_original.png

Let's start with the first unique feature of the Chained Echoes battle system: The Overdrive bar. This bar consists of (1) a multiplicator, (2) the "Idea Field" that can take the color of one of the skill types, (3) the current position cursor and (4) the bar itself.

The multiplicator shows the effectiveness of the characters in battle. The higher the number, the stronger the party's actions and the less damage they take from enemy attacks. This multiplicator is tied to the cursor on the bar. Every character's and enemy's action move the cursor to the right.

d6fd366d543aa5ae811b7540d8ff6026_original.gif

Sped up animation

At the beginning of most battles, the party is cooled down and the cursor is on the left. The closer it gets to the green area, the higher the multiplicator, which means the party is getting warmed up. But watch out! The green area is followed by a red area. The party members might overstrain themselves, which means their actions are less effective and susceptible to more damage. It is important to never get into this area of the Overdrive bar.
To prevent this, you will need to move the cursor back to the left. There are 2 options to do this:

The Idea field will randomly light up a color corresponding to the skill types shown in the action window. If a character uses a skill of this color, the cursor will jump back to the left. This forces the player to assess the current situation and make the crucial decision on whether it is more important to use a specific type of skill (e.g., healing) or to control the overdrive bar so that the party does not overstrain themselves. Because the turn order is displayed, this helps the player to plan ahead and allows the next party member to manage the Overdrive bar.

ee3fa7e06fbc48283e4d1e362b393ec2_original.gif

Amalia switches in and triggers a health points regeneration skill

The other option to move the cursor to the left is the second main system of Chained Echoes: the Tag Team system. As you've seen in the screenshots, you will always take four characters into a battle. But every character in battle is tied to another character outside of the fight, allowing the option for them to switch at the simple press of a button. This costs nothing and only benefits the party; not only does it prevent the party from overstraining, it also gives your team more skills to choose from, in order to trigger the Idea field color. Furthermore, switching a character into the battle activates passive skills.

Update 4:

Hey everyone! One week has passed and we are now standing at over 29.600€ (49%).That's almost half of the funding goal in only 7 days (and there are still 23 left). Thanks to everyone's support our numbers look really good! But still, half is only half and we need to do our best in order to reach the rest! Everyone who wants to lend a helping hand is welcomed to spread the word. We really appreciate that.

Furthermore, we also want to reach those stretch goals. A Nintendo Switch and Playstation 4 version are waiting there for us. Many of you wanted to know the prices of some of the stretch goals. So maybe we can start by revealing the most asked for stretch goal:

c715fe397c6df298a27866be545b4445_original.png

Further stretch goals will be revealed at a later point.

Update 5:

Secret Characters Revealed!

Spoilered for those who don't want to know....
7b834352c3b8a71674aeabe0c0589f12_original.gif

a96688d258d18dbc90c9effc5f1b9427_original.gif

Update 6:

Hi everyone,

My name is Eddie Marianukroh and I am the composer that is writing the original soundtrack for Chained Echoes. I am self-taught in terms of composition, essentially absorbing the music from many of the greats that I have and currently listen to, as well as from the games I have played growing up (e.g., Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Parasite Eve, etc.). This, coupled with constant trial and error and playing music with friends, was how I learned how to write music. It was during college that I began experimenting with orchestral music, eventually learning orchestration after reading Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's Principles of Orchestration. Eventually, I was offered the chance to score video games through a fortunate meeting with Randy Buck of The Sound Department - Austin. Though many of the games I initially scored did not release, I am still deeply grateful to Randy and The Sound Department - Austin for the opportunities and am very happy to know such great people. After graduating college in Austin, Texas and eventually living in New York City, NY for a couple years, I currently reside in Dallas, Texas (my hometown) with my wife, dog and family nearby.

I started out on Chained Echoes after seeing Matthias' (Arkheiral) ad for a composer to score this video game. The beauty and high quality of the artwork was so immediately evident, followed by the description of the style of game it was, that I promptly stopped what I was doing and reached out to him. I received a response the following day and was given the chance to provide a demo. After spending a week writing some demos, I nervously sent them over. I recall being quite anxious on waiting for a response, fearing a bad answer. As luck would have it, he liked the music! Since then, I've been working with him on creating a score fitting for the game.

I have been sincerely humbled by all the kind words from the people who have listened to the currently released tracks for Chained Echoes. I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to score this project and hope that you will support the Kickstarter to make this game a reality, as I promise that I will be putting my all into writing music that will be a memorable and emotionally moving experience for the player. I thank everyone for the chance.

Cheers!
- Eddie Marianukroh

New Track added and is available in the OP!

Today I'm going to introduce you to sky battles. Sky battles are fights between you and an enemy airship, a group of monsters or incoming enemy mechs. They will be triggered by story events, special airship "dungeons" or from engaging an enemy airship on the world map. Many sky battles will be optional and it will be your choice if you want to dive into this system.

Let's start with our actors first: The mechs and the airships.

You will use your mech to travel across areas and reach isolated places. But it can also be used in both mech and sky battles. There are 3 types of mech models: light, medium and heavy. Every type offers a variety of customization options, such as 3 part slots, 2 augment slots and 2 weapon slots. Each weapon type comes with 4 active skills that your mech can use in combat. The currently integrated and planned weapons include swords, shields, morning stars, great swords, katanas, ether guns, ether canons and ether drones. Additional combat items may follow. If you are interested in designing your very own mech check out our Mech Pack pledge tier!

47c3db0566996c9eb7caa998e3b0e181_original.gif

The airship is the central element of sky battles. There will be at least 4 different airship models for the player to choose from. An airship can be upgraded with different parts and tools, such as harpoons or cannons. Every station on the ship, such as the bridge, machine room or deck, needs a party member assigned. Choose the right character for each station based on their qualifications (e.g., a character with the appropriate technical skill in the machine room will speed up the energy relocation action). If you are interested in designing your own airship check out our Airship Pack pledge tier!

Sky battles are built upon a basic battle system with a turn order bar shown in the upper right corner. Your actors for the battle are the airship and your 1-4 mechs. When your airship is destroyed or its energy tank is empty, you lose.

57faab2c9b96ef0bf67a098600d0f4d7_original.gif

Left: Enemy attacks the airship. Above: Mech in close combat. Right: Mech on stand-by

Contrary to normal battles, you are able to position your characters in sky battles. In this example of a sky battle against incoming monsters, there are 4 positions: above, below, in front and behind your airship. During the airship's turn, it can use a variety of moves, such as waiting, strengthening shields in a certain position, going into overdrive or starting save mode. It can also order the machine room to relocate energy to other stations, making them more efficient. Offensive-wise, the airship can choose to attack the enemies with its equipped weapons. Your party members on deck are also ready to engage in combat, in the case that an enemy tries to board your ship.

Mech fights are almost the same as non-sky battles except for the option to change positions, in order to engage incoming enemies. Mechs have long-range and melee weapons. If a mech attacks an enemy with a melee weapon, it will go into "Close Combat Mode." In this case, they have to fight until the enemy is either defeated or you attempt to retreat, which comes with the risk of being attacked. If you want a second mech to engage an enemy that is in close combat with your first mech, you will need to exercise caution; any long-range weapon that is equipped and fired has the chance to hit your own unit. On the other hand, you will be able to deal extra damage with a melee weapon, since the enemy is busy with your first mech. Your defeated mechs will return to your airship and will need to be repaired.

Always watch the position an enemy is in when they attack your airship. Aim to buff those zones while you have your mechs destroy mobile enemies as fast as possible. Let your tanky mechs get into Close Combat Mode, while you use your other mechs to deal extra damage through flanking the enemy. To win the sky battles, it is important to prioritize your actions.

Thank you for reading.

But we are not done yet!

Today we have a huge announcement to make, which many of you were waiting for. Additionally to the Nintendo Switch version at the 80.000€ stretch goal, we will also unlock another add-on: We have teamed up with a publisher and are able to proudly present to you physical copies of Chained Echoes for PC/Mac/Linux and Switch (as well as for the Playstation 4, if we reach the corresponding stretch goal).

Not only that, in addition to the regular physical version of the game, we are offering a Limited Edition release limited to 500 copies for the PC/Mac/Linux and 1000 copies for the Nintendo Switch and Playstation 4 version each.

f662c224165becffb07159dc13e5618a_original.png

Regular Edition:

• Game medium
  • Case
  • Slipcase
  • Manual
  • Silver collector's coin
PC/Mac/Linux: 42€ | Nintendo Switch: 50€ | Playstation 4: 45€

9ceb7575a63e8b30b42b7aa09673e33f_original.png

Limited Edition:

• Game medium
  • Case
  • Slipcase
  • Manual
  • Softcover artbook
  • Poster with game's artwork
  • Golden collector's coin
  • Outer box to hold all contents of the limited edition, including an inlay
PC/Mac/Linux: 67€ | Nintendo Switch: 75€ | Playstation 4: 70€

Further details will follow once we reach the stretch goal.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Customizable airships. 🤤

I'll probably back if it starts to get close to the Switch stretch goal.

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer for this is incredible. Every new beat slowly brought me from "This is kind of neat I guess" to "holy shiiiit I HAVE to play this." Backed immediately.

Just calling it a "16-Bit JRPG" in the thread title is doing it a disservice IMO. Like, it looks like Chrono Trigger and Xenogears had a retro homage baby. Surely that would merit attention from some people on this forum.

OP
OP
mentallyinept

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The trailer for this is incredible. Every new beat slowly brought me from "This is kind of neat I guess" to "holy shiiiit I HAVE to play this." Backed immediately.

Just calling it a "16-Bit JRPG" in the thread title is doing it a disservice IMO. Like, it looks like Chrono Trigger and Xenogears had a retro homage baby. Surely that would merit attention from some people on this forum.

I didn't want to oversell it. But I'm more than happy to message a mod to update the title.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks fantastic, hope it hits its target and then some. Love JRPGs in this style and there's enough new here to be interesting and promising.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
September 2021..... I don't want to pledge for something so far away.

Dev Post - Skills\Builds Information

Ark Heiral

Nov 16, 2017
Hey, everyone. Developer here, if you have any questions feel free to ask them.

Thank you mentallyinept for posting! Very informative! I haven't written anything about the skill system yet so I guess you tried to interpret the single screenshot on the campaign, right? :D It's not like in FF9 though or a Job system. You learn skills through a classic skill tree. Each character has its own tree. In order to use them in battle you need to "equip" those skills. Since the amount of equippable slots is limited you won't be able to take all skills into battle and will have to experiment with different builds. Each skill has 3 levels. You will get skill points after battles that you can spend on leveling those skills.

(there is also a crafting system that allows passive abilities to be inserted into equipment but this is a different topic :D)

There will be some Kickstarter updates with more information on the battle system and skill system soon!

We raised almost 12k€ in one day.

It's looking good so far!

OP
OP
mentallyinept

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you mentallyinept for posting! Very informative! I haven't written anything about the skill system yet so I guess you tried to interpret the single screenshot on the campaign, right? :D It's not like in FF9 though or a Job system. You learn skills through a classic skill tree. Each character has its own tree. In order to use them in battle you need to "equip" those skills. Since the amount of equippable slots is limited you won't be able to take all skills into battle and will have to experiment with different builds. Each skill has 3 levels. You will get skill points after battles that you can spend on leveling those skills.

(there is also a crafting system that allows passive abilities to be inserted into equipment but this is a different topic :D)

There will be some Kickstarter updates with more information on the battle system and skill system soon!

Yeah that's what I did, lol.

I'll update the OP with your information though and add a threadmark to your post!

Edit: Done!

Last edited:
Dev Post - Battle System Information

Ark Heiral

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah that's what I did, lol.

I'll update the OP with your information though and add a threadmark to your post!

Edit: Done!

Thank you very much! If you want you can add another mechanic: The tag team system. You take 4 characters into battle. Every character is linked to another character outside of battle and can switch with them anytime. This triggers special skills when the new character enters. It also prevents overextending on the overdrive bar.

Fucking hell this looks really good. I'm going to have to back this.

Thank you Ondor for your support.

Burn the thread like Lahan village if it's a dupe...

Haha, now I noticed.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Watching this now. Might back later. It looks like you're on the right track and seeing a realistic timeline is something many game developers sorely miss. Will wait until we get closer to cutoff time.

OP
OP
mentallyinept

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty cool up front. I don't have time to check out the entire page right now, but it seems like something I would be interested in backing. A Switch release in particular would certainly be enticing for this kind of game.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'll be writing about the game as my Kickstarter of the month, it's that cool. I already love the soundtrack and it's super early. I'll be honest though: there's so much going on (mechas, AIRSHIP battles+customization, secrets, tag teaming, etc.) that I fear this project might be too much for ONE dev.

I kinda wish publishers would swoop these projects to ensure they get proper funding/workforce and see a universal release on PC and consoles. Although that would also come with compromises and a lack of freedom so I can understand sticking to being indie.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, but this one looks really nice. If it's coming out next year I'd just throw some money in just as a pre-order.
No gaming KS is coming out the year after the campaign was finished and if the devs claim otherwise they are lying through their teeth. You're wishing for a thing that does not exist in reality.

The only possible exception could be a D:OS1 style "we only need money for polish" campaign, but even that had delays and dropped features.

Source: I have backed A LOT of games and all of them took years to be released.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Looks sick! Stoked for this.

I'm curious - are there any POC you can add to your party?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No gaming KS is coming out the year after the campaign was finished and if the devs claim otherwise they are lying through their teeth. You're wishing for a thing that does not exist in reality.

The only possible exception could be a D:OS1 style "we only need money for polish" campaign, but even that had delays and dropped features.

Source: I have backed A LOT of games and all of them took years to be released.
I understand that, and I certainly appreciate you backers for financing these great games. It's just personally I can't justify paying for things that seem so uncertain and risky.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really nice looking areas, very similar to CrossCode's quality.

Character sprites need some real work. Animation and art on them is poor at the moment, and distractingly so. Would look again to CrossCode for this and its wonderful spritework, and above and beyond animation. That's the main thing that really makes your game stand out right away.

large-turret-bullethell.gif

Cutscene with the mech looks very high quality too. Great stuff

Dev Post - Mech Battles + Cost Savings

Ark Heiral

Nov 16, 2017
I'll be writing about the game as my Kickstarter of the month, it's that cool. I already love the soundtrack and it's super early. I'll be honest though: there's so much going on (mechas, AIRSHIP battles+customization, secrets, tag teaming, etc.) that I fear this project might be too much for ONE dev.

Hey thank you so much! Scope is a big topic for the project. This is the reason why it took me 2 1/2 years to launch the Kickstarter. I wanted to be sure that I know what I'm able to do and what I'm not. And I searched for many possibilities to save time without losing too much quality. Two examples:

The airship and mech battles are based on the normale battle system. Basically they are nothing more than different character models if you want. BUT by implementing simple twists to some mechanics the battles have a completely different feel than the foot battles. Mecha can for example change their positions around the airship and guard different parts. There is fuel, flanking, close combat... As long as the normal battle system as a foundation is well programmed I can easily make changes such as these above. And I've got that already prepared in those 2 1/2 years.

Another example of how I save budget: The encounter starts similar to Chrono Trigger. Once you get close to an enemy the characters move into positions and then the battle starts. The same happens with Chained Echoes. But the huge difference is, that the battles in CE always take place from left to right or the other way. No up and down. This way every monster and character has only one sprite and one animation (mirrored for left and right) instead of 3 (up and down). Which is a HUGE amount of time saved. And it doesn't really have a big impact on anything.

Really nice looking areas, very similar to CrossCode's quality.

Character sprites need some real work. Animation and art on them is poor at the moment, and distractingly so. Would look again to CrossCode for this and its wonderful spritework, and above and beyond animation. That's the main thing that really makes your game stand out right away.

large-turret-bullethell.gif

Cutscene with the mech looks very high quality too. Great stuff

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that and I'm still at a point where I can adjust the sprites to a certain degree. (No 8 dir movement though :D)
Mech battles are another point I need to work on. Since the normal battles are the foundation for them I needed to polish them first. I'm still in early development!

This looks nice, but Im hesitant to back since I would want it for the Switch.

Your backing would help us get there! :) But you can wait of course and pledge later. Thank you in any case!

Looks good. Although I won't be backing games on KS ever again *cough*bloodstained*cough*

But good luck to the creator!

Damn you Bloodstained! But thank you.

Looks sick! Stoked for this.

I'm curious - are there any POC you can add to your party?

Yes, I'll be revealing some throughout the campaign!

Thanks to every person who backed the game. You guys are so nice!

Last edited:

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017

Shit man, this looks real, real good! My only doubt (and fear to be honest) are you doing all the coding, artwork and writing alone? Are you planning on expandind or outsourcing some work to release the game in late '21 as stated in the Kickstarter?

I know it's not your fault, but backing both Project Phoenix and Unsung Story soured me in the entire videogame, crowd funded scene.

That said, what you have for show here is truly promissing and I might reconsider backing a videogame in Kickstarter once more.

Dev Post - Localization

Ark Heiral

Nov 16, 2017
Shit man, this looks real, real good! My only doubt (and fear to be honest) are you doing all the coding, artwork and writing alone? Are you planning on expandind or outsourcing some work to release the game in late '21 as stated in the Kickstarter?

I know it's not your fault, but backing both Project Phoenix and Unsung Story soured me in the entire videogame, crowd funded scene.

That said, what you have for show here is truly promissing and I might reconsider backing a videogame in Kickstarter once more.

Hey, in fear of something like this might happen to my project I'm already working hard on it for 2 1/2 years in the evenings after my day job. I launched the Kickstarter the moment I knew I was able to deliver. Sure, you can't plan everything. But I think I've minimized the risk as good as I can (also: developing solo has some advantages in planning a schedule.) If you are unsure because you got burned by these other projects I can absolutely understand you don't want to Kickstart anymore.

But I will get some help with the project in the future. For example someone needs to translate my english into proper one ;) (But I got that covered outside of the Kickstarter budget). Depending on how much I'll earn on the campaign, I'll will probably hire someone to help with some assets as well.

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Well.

My reaction while I scrolled down the OP was:
"Wow, great graphics, but I'm really not into the character sprites... wait, is that a mec-- SOLD"

Amazing trailer.

N E R O

Oct 25, 2017
Mississauga, ON
I want to back this but seeing the actual release date so far makes me feel hesitant. I will probably still back it tho, I like the Mechs designs.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This looks really impressive. Is it really made by a single person? (according to the KS)

Ark Heiral

Nov 16, 2017
This looks really impressive. Is it really made by a single person? (according to the KS)

Most of it, yes. Music and sound effects are done by Eddie Marianukroh. He is doing a great job with the soundtrack so far:

Depending on the outcome of the campaign I will probably have a helping hand here and there. ;)

@all than you guys!

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, in fear of something like this might happen to my project I'm already working hard on it for 2 1/2 years in the evenings after my day job. I launched the Kickstarter the moment I knew I was able to deliver. Sure, you can't plan everything. But I think I've minimized the risk as good as I can (also: developing solo has some advantages in planning a schedule.) If you are unsure because you got burned by these other projects I can absolutely understand you don't want to Kickstart anymore.

But I will get some help with the project in the future. For example someone needs to translate my english into proper one ;) (But I got that covered outside of the Kickstarter budget). Depending on how much I'll earn on the campaign, I'll will probably hire someone to help with some assets as well.

Well, your sincerity earned another backer. I'll give this one a shot then :)

Seriously, I'm pretty interested in everything about your game. Gameplay wise it feels like something right down my alley. Don't think it's fair to judge based on previous experience when you have shown quite a bit of everything to demonstrate that you have a full y working pitch in your hands.

Good luck with the project!

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I've really cut back on my kickstarter spending in the last few years, but I have to back this. It looks so good!