Changelog v.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
You don't find scrolling back to the top, or finding a specific post you ran across while reading a thread hard with 100 posts loaded on mobile? I sure do. It's not about performance to me it's about usability.
Exactly.

Also, the constant loading can get annoying with posts containing a lot of images (pick up thread, gaming setup thread, etc.) if you're not on WiFi/using LTE.

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

Also, the constant loading can get annoying with posts containing a lot of images (pick up thread, gaming setup thread, etc.) if you're not on WiFi/using LTE.
Oh definitely. Especially cause the popin will push content you were reading down. My phone also chugs along if too many GIFs are around. It's not like my phone is even shitty either, it's a Nexus 5 so it's decent.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I never really understood the appeal of 100, honestly. Hated it on the other site too. 50 is a lot more evenly divided.

Though I'm used to it by now.

Oct 25, 2017
We are looking into options to do 50posts per page. As of now, it has been changed to 100ppp tho.
Please. I can't stand 100ppp at all. If it has to to be either that or 50, just one or the other, I'd much prefer 50. 100 is just too much information on a page as to be unusable (especially since I like to have my threads split up into more bite-size chunks so I've not spending too long on any given page regardless), especially on mobile. Plus even on my laptop Chrome hates how GIF filled some threads get even on 50ppp and throws a fit sometimes for me on my laptop (as in, a tab hasn't actually crashed for me in forever, but I usually like to read GAF/Era while I have a Twitch stream open on my second monitor, and GIF-filled threads cause my Twitch window to lag sometimes just on 50ppp, which really messes with that setup. Not looking forward to trying to do the same while 100ppp is forced on me). 100ppp is just something I have zero interest in, and makes the site a whole lot less usable for me, whether on mobile or laptop.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Genuine question here:

What's the benefit to switching to 100 per page? It feels WAY too long when you're scrolling.

Is it just to keep page numbers down for huge threads?

Oct 27, 2017
100 per page threads, thank you very much.

Now just bring native dark theme and I will consider myself officially moved to the new home.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an option to switch back to 50ppp? 100 is way too long, and while I appreciate them providing it, I would sincerely like an option to go back to 50 if it already doesn't exist.

Fuu

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer 50ppp, but I can live with 100ppp.

At least people aren't advocating for infinite scrolling. Miss me with that garbage.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care whether it's 50ppp or 100ppp, I just really believe that everyone should have the same ppp. If that requires some sort of vote for which it should be, then so be it, but in the end I strongly think it should be the same for everyone. Having different definitions of what is one page and what is another introduces confusion and a fundamental divide in how people see continuity of threads. People should be able to say "x gave a great take on this on page 22" and that should mean something, rather than having to question if they meant page 11 or page 44 depending on the circumstances. Moderators should be able to say "discussion went completely nuts starting on page 5 so we deleted posts from page 5-8" and there should be a clear knowledge of what they mean. Also, the whole "bottom of page post" problem is best addressed by a single standard ppp.

Oct 25, 2017
50ppp people don't actually read threads. :P I honestly feel like I'm clicking the next page button constantly at 50ppp. Obviously, it's a personal preference and should be an option. Well, as long as we don't have people advocating for like 15ppp. They're heathens and should be banned.

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny. Was so used to 100ppp that when I visited other boards and they were something ridiculously small like 20ppp it felt surreal reading through pages so quickly lol

One advantage of 100ppp being the new default is that it will make Googling so much better. Was a bit annoying that Google always wanted to link to a page number based on 50ppp so you had to keep manually dividing it by two.

Fuu

Oct 27, 2017
No, 100ppp is the default. 50 is opt in.

50 is just the default in that drop down.
Ah, just realized that. Thanks again!

I'll stick with 100 as I like to stay in the default. It facilitates discussion about which page something happened, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny. Was so used to 100ppp that when I visited other boards and they were something ridiculously small like 20ppp it felt surreal reading through pages so quickly lol

One advantage of 100ppp being the new default is that it will make Googling so much better. Was a bit annoying that Google always wanted to link to a page number based on 50ppp so you had to keep manually dividing it by two.
Good lord. Custom font selection needs to go.

Maybe font color selection can stay, but this comic sans multi-color stuff could seriously ruin the look of the forums if people start abusing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields, Nebraska

Maybe font color selection can stay, but this comic sans multi-color stuff could seriously ruin the look of the forums if people start abusing it.
I agree. I can't imagine trying to read this once the dark theme happens. Will be too difficult.

Thanks again for the 100ppp. Much easier to read not changing pages so often.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah hated that, especially if it took you to last page because double of 50 is 100 but thread is only 75 pages long in 50ppp format, so google takes you to 50th page in your 100ppp format.

Also I can't see shit what you've typed without highlighting because I'm using custom dark theme.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
There is now a toggle for posts per page, as well as other options, under Preferences.

Enjoy
Wow. How do you guys work this fast?

Thank you so much!

My eyes are on fire

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care whether it's 50ppp or 100ppp, I just really believe that everyone should have the same ppp. If that requires some sort of vote for which it should be, then so be it, but in the end I strongly think it should be the same for everyone. Having different definitions of what is one page and what is another introduces confusion and a fundamental divide in how people see continuity of threads. People should be able to say "x gave a great take on this on page 22" and that should mean something, rather than having to question if they meant page 11 or page 44 depending on the circumstances. Moderators should be able to say "discussion went completely nuts starting on page 5 so we deleted posts from page 5-8" and there should be a clear knowledge of what they mean. Also, the whole "bottom of page post" problem is best addressed by a single standard ppp.
That doesn’t make any sense when you can directly link and quote whatever post you want anywhere on the site, you don’t need to say page this or that, you link to the post and it can take you straight there.

Oct 25, 2017
Who knew the power of Comic Sans was so great.

That doesn’t make any sense when you can directly link and quote whatever post you want anywhere on the site, you don’t need to say page this or that, you link to the post and it can take you straight there.
Well even on ███, the correct etiquette was to link to the post number rather than page. The only problem really was Google.

Heck, there was even a [post] tag one could use, though about 0.1% of the forum's population knew about it.

Speaking on post links, I've noticed the generated code from clicking on a post number has been made cleaner as well.

It's just a bit of harmless fun. Was interested to see if fonts not in the dropdown list would work. Makes me curious what other invisible formatting options we have.

My eyes are on fire
Considering purple is the main colour of the board, your eyes must hurt all day long.

I mean, it's not like I literally made my post look like fire.

OK. I'll refrain from doing something like that again.

Also I can't see shit what you've typed without highlighting because I'm using custom dark theme.
Sounds like a bad theme.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Who knew the power of Comic Sans was so great.

Well even on ███, the correct etiquette was to link to the post number rather than page. The only problem really was Google.

Heck, there was even a [post] tag one could use, though about 0.1% of the forum's population knew about it.

Speaking on post links, I've noticed the generated code from clicking on a post number has been made cleaner as well.

It's just a bit of harmless fun. Was interested to see if fonts not in the dropdown list would work. Makes me curious what other invisible formatting options we have.

Considering purple is the main colour of the board, your eyes must hurt all day long.

I mean, it's not like I literally made my post look like fire.

OK. I'll refrain from doing something like that again.

Sounds like a bad theme.
I'm using dark theme and it's flaming hot on my poor eyes :p

We need that official theme. Hopefully text will have some kind of border around the letters to avoid these issues. That fire text actually works perfectly in dark mode, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.