Changelog v.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017
Update:

50 is now the default for default mobile browsing purposes. But, you can easily make the change back to 100 if you wish under 'Preferences' still.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what. Now I'm being defaulted to 50ppp despite not changing anything.

EDIT: Typical. Ninja'd by the administration.

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny. Was so used to 100ppp that when I visited other boards and they were something ridiculously small like 20ppp it felt surreal reading through pages so quickly lol

One advantage of 100ppp being the new default is that it will make Googling so much better. Was a bit annoying that Google always wanted to link to a page number based on 50ppp so you had to keep manually dividing it by two.
Every time I visit the GameFAQs forums for some reason (usually the result of a search) I always get confused by their ridiculously low post per page count. It's like 10 or something? I always go like "huh nothing else in this thread huh, oh we-- no wait there's like 5 pages, goddamnit gamefaqs"

Oct 25, 2017
Ferny, apologies if someone has already brought this up, but are there any plans to have a seperate set of (at least some of the) preferences for desktop and mobile? Would be ideal to have things like images/avatars off for mobile for data reasons, but have them on when browsing from a desktop.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ferny, apologies if someone has already brought this up, but are there any plans to have a seperate set of (at least some of the) preferences for desktop and mobile? Would be ideal to have things like images/avatars off for mobile for data reasons, but have them on when browsing from a desktop.
I would totally use this

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
if i could make a suggestion

delete this css for the top breadcrumbs

@media (max-width: 480px)
{
.Responsive .breadcrumb a span {
display: none;
}

hiding the labels on the forums turns the links into tiiiiiny buttons that are hard to hit on a phone. they should still fit with the text labels there. and if they dont, just make the font size a little smaller or something

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny. Was so used to 100ppp that when I visited other boards and they were something ridiculously small like 20ppp it felt surreal reading through pages so quickly lol

One advantage of 100ppp being the new default is that it will make Googling so much better. Was a bit annoying that Google always wanted to link to a page number based on 50ppp so you had to keep manually dividing it by two.
I hated that. Google would always take me to the wrong page.

Oct 27, 2017
US
Wasn't really sure where to put this but I have a tiny suggestion for the next version. Is it possible to disable the "click to expand" feature for content in quote boxes that are referencing an outside source (let's say an OP is quoting an article)? Just a little QOL update I think would save some time in quote heavy threads.

Also, excellent job on the site so far guys!

Oct 25, 2017
So uh...what's the deal with animated avatars? I got a message from a mod that they were no longer supported, but days later I still see people using them :/

Oct 25, 2017
France
So uh...what's the deal with animated avatars? I got a message from a mod that they were no longer supported, but days later I still see people using them :/
They're technically supported by the forum software but they aren't allowed by the forum rules. It's just that it's too difficult to make the software not support them, so mods are simply counting on us to respect the rules.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, ignoring the jpg compression, yeah, I can see why it was hard to read. (though I do notice that's in a quote box, which is darker, rather than the original post) Will have to see how things look on the official theme, but this is the things we have to learn - purple might not be the best tect colour to use for fancy text. Need to learn what's possible on Era for when I make OTs (which is when I'd plan to use more fancy formatting) since porting my old thread from the previous era made me realise I'm going to have to redesign my template to suit this site's strengths and weakness (ended up having to cut bits out and even split it into two posts just to make it work here - mostly due to the image limitations).

Any chance we can have the option of choosing a different theme?

I'm mobile only and this theme is a huge backwards step in usability and readability.

Text too small, too much extraneous information, huge header on every page, I could go on. Ideally I'd like something equivalent to the old mobile experience.

I find myself visiting less because it's just aggravating when I do.

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Yeah, I’m happy you guys changed it back to 50 PPP on mobile. I prefer 50.

Though I’m kinda disappointed about the Likes Received thing being removed, if I’ll be honest. It made me think there would be a Likes system like on FB or YT and other places and I actually welcomed the idea. Did most people not want that or something? Shame if so. Oh well. :/

Oct 26, 2017
Just want to say, thanks for putting in streamable video embedding, and I LOOOVEEE being able to dump a bunch of photos in a spoiler and not clog up a thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking great.

Probably the most sought after feature for Mobile would be to have a refresh and the forum icons on the bottom bar. Is that hard to implement with this software? The up arrow definitely helps

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest swapping the hide text and spoiler buttons, so spoiler is on the main bar. Or have both of them on it. As it is a lot of people are using hide text since it's the more visible option and it's really awkward to have to quote a post to read a spoiler tag.

An inline highlight spoiler like on GAF would also be convenient.

Those have probably been suggested already, but worth echoing.

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Thanks for the 100 threads per page option, that's very useful. That + sorting on start date will give you a good feed of (new) threads you may have missed.

imt558

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is an option to hide screenshots for mobile users, but i want that screenshots aren't hidden COMPLETELY. It would be nice to have, if someone made a post with screenshots, something like PHOTO option and click on that if you want to see a screenshot.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really care whether it's 50ppp or 100ppp, I just really believe that everyone should have the same ppp. If that requires some sort of vote for which it should be, then so be it, but in the end I strongly think it should be the same for everyone. Having different definitions of what is one page and what is another introduces confusion and a fundamental divide in how people see continuity of threads. People should be able to say "x gave a great take on this on page 22" and that should mean something, rather than having to question if they meant page 11 or page 44 depending on the circumstances. Moderators should be able to say "discussion went completely nuts starting on page 5 so we deleted posts from page 5-8" and there should be a clear knowledge of what they mean. Also, the whole "bottom of page post" problem is best addressed by a single standard ppp.
Post numbers can be used instead of page numbers for these purposes.

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice. I've been wanting this since the site launched. Hopefully we'll see an official implementation sometime in the future.
If there will I hope it's optional since on 16:9 monitors vertical real estate is way more limited than horizontal and I'd hate to have a forced board in front of my face all the time. Annoys me on plenty other sites already.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to disable lazy loading for images? I have plenty of bandwidth, the page jumping around is a lot more annoying than a few unnecessary image downloads. It also causes issues with stuff like jumping to the most recent post or bottom of the page.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure where to ask this, but "multi-quote" doesn't seem to be working for me. Is this a known thing or am I just using it incorrectly?

(I click two "+Quote" signs, hit reply, and only the singular post I'm replying to is quoted)

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming this has already been requested, and may already be in the works.

But it would be great if the bottom of a page also included the direct link to each forum. :)

Not sure where to ask this, but "multi-quote" doesn't seem to be working for me. Is this a known thing or am I just using it incorrectly?

(I click two "+Quote" signs, hit reply, and only the singular post I'm replying to is quoted)

Thanks!
You are indeed using it incorrectly.
- Click on every +quote you want to quote.
- At the bottom of the page, in the left, there is a button ''Insert quotes''. Click on it.
- It will open up a screen that allows you to select which quotes you want to use, or move them around, so you can reply to someone else from later in the thread first)
- When you then click on ''Quote these messages'', they will be quoted accordingly.

Oct 25, 2017
You are indeed using it incorrectly.
- Click on every +quote you want to quote.
- At the bottom of the page, in the left, there is a button ''Insert quotes''. Click on it.
- It will open up a screen that allows you to select which quotes you want to use, or move them around, so you can reply to someone else from later in the thread first)
- When you then click on ''Quote these messages'', they will be quoted accordingly.
Awesome! Thank you! I completely missed that despite it being right in front of my eyes!

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I think it's also driving me a bit crazy that the top 'breadcrumbs' bar has Video Games -> Hangouts and EtcetEra -> Hangouts, but no link to Announcements. Don't be hatin' on the Announcements board guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Would you consider adding some distinction so that, when scrolling through the front page of Video Games for example, you can tell at a glance which threads you are currently watching? While it's easy enough to just go to the Watched Threads page to find out if a particular Watched thread has been bumped, it would be nice to just scroll down the page of all recent activity and know whether or not a thread you're currently watching has any new posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.