Changelog v.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Hey I have a dumb question I am not sure where to ask.

In Preferences, under link to old profile, is this for a link to our old GAF profile or what is that whole thing about?
I thought it was for them to know if you were a member of gaf, so they can approve you faster?

But it's still in preferences so I assume it was for other members to see also. But we can't?

Oct 25, 2017
ONE MORE QUESTION: I sometimes see people posting a response to someone without quoting the post. It says the original poster's name in Purple. Any idea?

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord. Custom font selection needs to go.

Maybe font color selection can stay, but this comic sans multi-color stuff could seriously ruin the look of the forums if people start abusing it.
Using it now and then is fine but if people start just posting in different colors and fonts, that's gonna get really annoying. thisiswhywecan'thavenicethings.jpg

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017
I thought it was for them to know if you were a member of gaf, so they can approve you faster?

But it's still in preferences so I assume it was for other members to see also. But we can't?
That's exactly what it was for. It just hasn't been taken down yet.

Oct 25, 2017
only thing i'd ask for, and someone may already have asked: within the footer, can we add some links to the Video Game or EtcEra forums? I.E:

Help Home RSS Video Game EtcEra Top

Oct 26, 2017
Sirpopopop While I appreciate the work you've done, it seems that now that twitter is embeddable but streamable isnt, yet it worked fine yesterday.

This is a real shame :(

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Question (that might have been asked, if so, sorry)!

One thing I liked from the old haunt was the button for refreshing the thread (I think it was Mobile-only). It was useful for staying where you were on a page, and especially for saving bandwidth. Are there plans to bring that over?

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Would you consider adding some distinction so that, when scrolling through the front page of Video Games for example, you can tell at a glance which threads you are currently watching? While it's easy enough to just go to the Watched Threads page to find out if a particular Watched thread has been bumped, it would be nice to just scroll down the page of all recent activity and know whether or not a thread you're currently watching has any new posts.
Watched threads have an eye icon over on the right hand side.

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I really like about this forum is the alert system so you always know who has responded to you. It's a small thing but it goes a long way to making the forum nice to follow, so thanks whoever implemented that feature.

Oct 25, 2017
Would you consider adding some distinction so that, when scrolling through the front page of Video Games for example, you can tell at a glance which threads you are currently watching? While it's easy enough to just go to the Watched Threads page to find out if a particular Watched thread has been bumped, it would be nice to just scroll down the page of all recent activity and know whether or not a thread you're currently watching has any new posts.
Watched threads have an eye icon over on the right hand side.
Ah, you're right! I definitely knew that too. I think perhaps it just didn't feel intuitive to have to look in 2 different places for indicators (have to look on the left to see the purple circle indicating Unread Posts, have to look on the right to see the eye icon indicating a Watched Thread).

Sirpopopop, maybe it would make sense to have these indicators all in the same location?

Oct 25, 2017
In threads it's max 100px width, max 120px height. You can load a bigger one though and it will show up on your profile page. I think that the upper limit right now is 192x231.
So if I crop my avatar to be 100x120 px will the image quality in threads be clearer because the forum software won't have to scale it down?

Oct 25, 2017
So if I crop my avatar to be 100x120 px will the image quality in threads be clearer because the forum software won't have to scale it down?
Correct - except for Retina Displays. 100x120 avatars will look blurry on Retina displays while 180x200 will be significantly sharper.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is that? Are the avatars displayed at a higher resolution within threads on retina displays?
Yes, higher pixel density. My understanding is most websites have both standard and high-res versions of images and the browser picks up on your resolution and displays the right image accordingly.

Naturally this is difficult for avatars.

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance that if you were a previous member of GAF and have a previous profile linked you can remove the posting restrictions? Seems unfair that people that got in via Discord or whatever are full members already and people who also migrated but had to wait for open registration are back to being juniors again.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's been mentioned already but it would be great if disabling Images and Avatars wasn't mutually exclusive. I would like to disable avatars but keep images on in threads if possible.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I would like added is that the hyperlink to a thread isn’t only the text of the thread title, but the surrounding space as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Msk / SPb, Russia
I think that the "Announcements" section should be killed off in favor of pinned threads which will appear in all of four main subforums. Either this or include the announcements shortcut into the nav bar. People rarely go to the home page and they will miss the Announcements updates.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to disable images or gifs only on mobile?
Hopefully. I'd like to see a set of options like this:
Desktop images: on
Desktop avatars: on
Mobile images: off
Mobile avatars: on

With that said, it's great to have an option for it at all. I had been using a separate browser for it on mobile (Dolphin) but it hasn't been working well lately (prompted for login and auth code every time)

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully. I'd like to see a set of options like this:
Desktop images: on
Desktop avatars: on
Mobile images: off
Mobile avatars: on

With that said, it's great to have an option for it at all. I had been using a separate browser for it on mobile (Dolphin) but it hasn't been working well lately (prompted for login and auth code every time)
Yeah, would like to see the same. Hopefully the option will be added :)

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like a way to collapse the sticky threads. I feels like there is too many, especially when most of them don't pertain to me at all. Are those 4 just going to be there forever?

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like a way to collapse the sticky threads. I feels like there is too many, especially when most of them don't pertain to me at all. Are those 4 just going to be there forever?
Yeah, thougth the same today.
You're the second person to say this, but I'm still not seeing it on either desktop or mobile.
Okay, just checked and can't see it on mobile either.

Status
Not open for further replies.