Changelog v.1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they definitely all look like one person with the same avatar. It might just take some getting used to though

Also if you click on the user's name it's not properly scaling the default avatar in the little profile preview that pops up
Just popped in to see if this was mentioned. I mean if I have to have an avatar now, I want it to display properly at least lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
Guys... I get that it's not your fault, but is there absolutely no way for you to fix the Android writing problem somehow? It's driving me insane, it's absolutely impossible for me to write a post on mobile without getting mad. Isn't there something you can do? Even if it's a dirty workaround?

Oct 25, 2017
Guys... I get that it's not your fault, but is there absolutely no way for you to fix the Android writing problem somehow? It's driving me insane, it's absolutely impossible for me to write a post on mobile without getting mad. Isn't there something you can do? Even if it's a dirty workaround?
The only workaround is turning off the rich text editor.

Also, apply more pressure on Google to fix the bug in Chrome causing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Or it makes them look even more like a faceless monolith. Would be in favor of making this optional, honestly, if it is at all technically possible.
So is the goal to have it like this on all the skins? Or is that just a temporary issue?
Seconding both the idea of making it optional/not on all skins if possible, or at least a little clarification on those would be appreciated if someone on staff has the time to clarify?

I know it seems minor but it’s making browsing much more confusing for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain

Please limit the available colours to only colours that are readable in both light and dark themes. This is annoying. :(

I mean, I personally believe there shouldn't be colour options at all, but if there have to be, at least make sure all available options are readable regardless of the theme you use...

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure where to ask, sorry...

Just a thought. Considering "no self-promotion/ad" rule, does it mean this forum have no place at all where users can share their hobby creations? Be it drawings, photos, music, or what's more important, mods for games like Doom and Quake (or even levels from built-in level editors), etc. Considering it's not commercial, of course.

Selina

Gotham's Finest
Administrator
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure where to ask, sorry...

Just a thought. Considering "no self-promotion/ad" rule, does it mean this forum have no place at all where users can share their hobby creations? Be it drawings, photos, music, or what's more important, mods for games like Doom and Quake (or even levels from built-in level editors), etc. Considering it's not commercial, of course.
If there is already an existing thread on those subjects, then you can. Just don't create a thread to self-promote.

Sir Guts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there’s a problem while iPhones safari. Sometime I hit the “write a reply” box and nothing happens, sometimes I hit post reply and nothing happens. Also hitting the quote a post or reply to post isn’t always responding. Am I the only one facing this?

Oct 27, 2017

Please limit the available colours to only colours that are readable in both light and dark themes. This is annoying. :(

I mean, I personally believe there shouldn't be colour options at all, but if there have to be, at least make sure all available options are readable regardless of the theme you use...
I keep running into this as well but with white text in the light theme. Not sure why anyone feels the need to color their text this way.

Oct 25, 2017
NoVA
Clicking on tweets is broken on Safari on MacOS. When you click on a tweet, it goes to this screen and clicking continue does nothing:

This only started in the last few days as far as I can tell.

Oct 25, 2017
Clicking on tweets is broken on Safari on MacOS. When you click on a tweet, it goes to this screen and clicking continue does nothing:

This only started in the last few days as far as I can tell.
Yeah the same thing happens to me in Safari too. The URL looks weird and contains something linking to GitHub.

Oct 25, 2017
steamcommunity.com
It is possible to implement a character floor for replies (say, require at least 1 character)? When you get quoted and the person quoting you doesn't type anything, it looks like a picture or twitter post never loaded.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to increase the limit on the ignore list? It's capped at 1000 right now.

I've already manually removed everyone who's been permabanned from my list, but I managed to hit the limit again. (And there's a new Apu thread...)

Last edited:

Sir Guts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anybody else not getting all the alerts when someone quotes them? Sometimes I visit a thread and see someone quoting me but I didn't get any alert

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Hey,

The edit bottom is very hard to click on in mobile mode, especially since you have to touch a small gear that brings up another small menu, that requires you to touch "Edit". It's kinda hard to touch, tedious and very unintuitive. Can the whole procedure be replaced with a single-click "Edit"?

Oct 27, 2017
Can we get a ‘New’ button near the top of the page to see new threads. Having to go to the bottom and do multiple clicks is tedious when I check to see new threads a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
You're doing a great job, guys. But seriously, the #1 issue that impacts readability for me has been the date/time stamp being at the bottom of every post. I have to scroll all the way to bottom of long OPs and regular posts, then scroll all the up to read the content with the right context. It's a constant back and forth.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I’m definitely not a fan of the default avatar thing, if anything has to be there I think it should be something more generic, like just an empty box or circle or something. But I’d still just prefer nothing.

Also I have two strange issues on mobile, as well:

- Despite the fact that the page fits itself to my phone screen, scrolling to the side is still possible, which just shows empty space. Sometimes when I flick my thumb to scroll down really fast, I’ll wind up dragging the page to the side and then it springs back to the center.

- Dark mode on mobile sometimes sporadically changes color WHILE I’m viewing it. The dark grey background goes to a lighter shade of dark grey for some reason that I can’t figure out.

I’ll definitely echo others in saying that everyone who had in designing and setting up the forum did a great job though, so thank you.

Edit: here’s a screen of what it looks like when I scroll over:

Oct 26, 2017
Would it be possible to add a notice when a user quotes someone you ignore? It can be somewhat confusing seeing a reply that looks like a general reply but actually addresses someone you have in your ignore list.

Oct 25, 2017
so i have a issue in screenshot threads the page will stop loading but some images dont show they just appear as IMG
Most of the time that's because either 1) the Imgur thing is still happening and you're on a browser where the workaround doesn't work (pretty sure it's mainly just Safari and all of iOS's alternate "web browsers".) or 2) the image WebP so it basically only loads on Chrome.

dmaul1114

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible to increase the limit on the ignore list? It's capped at 1000 right now.

I've already manually removed everyone who's been permabanned from my list, but I managed to hit the limit again. (And there's a new Apu thread...)
God damn. And I thought I was heavy use of the ignore feature on forums.

If I was ignoring that people I think I'd realize a community just wasn't for me....

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, umm wasn't there a "thread / post" statistic as in you could see who posted / how much in any given thread?

I can't find this anymore (on mobile) it was pretty useful, I sometimes don't even know if I already posted in a topic or not lol.

I would like to see posts by users that I have on my ignore list. Otherwise reading through threads and seeing people reply to someone without any apparent context is very confusing.

And just to be clear, I just want to see an empty post with the option to view the contents by that user instead of the forum telling me that there was no post at all.

Selina

Gotham's Finest
Administrator
Oct 28, 2017
So what's the forum policy on derogatory & racist terminology? I've seen variations of the "n word" thrown around and I report it as I see it but as far as I can tell there isn't any sort of repercussions for its use.

Am I just wasting my time?
Context is everything when it comes to the N word. The black community here sometimes uses it in ways that warrant no action. Other times we have issued bans, some of them permanent.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an option to disable video embedding? Threads with lots of embedded YouTube videos slow things to a crawl on both desktop and mobile for me
This still seems to be a problem on Chrome for iPhone. I can’t make it through a music recommendation thread due to all the embedded YouTube links.

Not sure why these can’t just be turned into regular hyperlinks with a settings change...?

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the forum policy on derogatory & racist terminology? I've seen variations of the "n word" thrown around and I report it as I see it but as far as I can tell there isn't any sort of repercussions for its use.

Am I just wasting my time?
Yea I’ve noticed this too. People using the n-word or a variation as if it is ok. I’m not saying these people aren’t the ethnicity where it is acceptable, but who can really know in an anonymous forum.

Tapioka

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The new quote system is terrible. It's hard to tell where the quote ends and begins when quickly reading. The clean look should not interfere with readability. The quotes need a slight shading in the background at the very least.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
EasyPrivacy uBlock filter seems to have broken twitter embeds again - it definitely doesn't seem to like the way it's done here.

Tinkering in logger seems to give me this exception to add to My Filters, which seems to work so far:
Code:
@@||s9e.github.io/iframe/twitter.min.html$subdocument,domain=www.resetera.com
Thanks. So far, I've only been able to resolve it on my iPad (by disabling the shield on Firefox), but Firefox for PC doesn't let me add this site as an exception for some reason.

Edit: My solution to the issue
I finally figured it out...

Under Tools -> Options -> Privacy & Security Tab, under "Use Tracking Protection to block known trackers", set the radio to "Only in private windows". Make sure under "Send websites a 'Do Not Track' signal that you don't want to be track" that the "Only when using Tracking Protection" radio is selected. Click "Change Block List", and select "Disconnect.me strict protection..." if you have the Disconnect add-on.

Presuming you have the Disconnect add-on in Firefox as well, while on a thread in ResetEra that has an embeded twitter link, click the Disconnect add-on button (right-click the 3 lines if you don't see it, and drag the Disconnect add-on button into your menu somewhere if you don't see it), and click "Visualize page". Now look for the bubble that says "twitter.com" thats barred and click it to unblock it (or similarly, you can also just click the upper righthand button upon clicking the Disconnect add-on to Unblock Twitter).

Close Firefox and revisit the thread. Twitter embeds should now work!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.