• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Your credit score could soon go down -- or up.

FICO announced Thursday its latest version of the FICO score, a three-digit number that assesses a person's credit risk. The new scoring model will take consumers' debt levels into account and will more closely track personal loans.
Previous scoring models took snapshots of a person's payment history. The new model will take a historical view of payments over time and can process much more information, including account balances for the previous two years, aiming to give lenders more insight into how individuals are managing their credit, FICO said.

Those who have a high amount of credit card debt relative to their overall credit, or who have recently missed payments, could see a more significant drop.

But people who make on-time payments and don't carry high balances will likely see a slight increase in their score, Shellenberger said.

With a longer view of payments, consumers that pay their credit cards off monthly won't be penalized as much for one-time large purchases and occasional high balances. But those who consistently keep a balance will see a drop in their credit score. Paying off credit cards monthly will always result in a better score.

More here:

As a person who uses only credit cards and pays the full balance, I welcome this change.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I currently don't have a credit card because of my credit score is too low, will this change help first time credit card applicants?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
As someone struggling to get out from under a rough few years, we already got penalized for carrying balances and this sounds like we'll get hit more. I hope it doesn't make our situation worse. But I'll have to see what it looks like.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
On net, it's a great change. If you make a large purchase and receive a 0% interest deal, you can now still enjoy a high score despite the utilization going massively up.

For example, I currently want to refinance my home but have two revolving accounts with large 0% interest charges. I took a 15 point hit to my score and will end up paying early on a portion of that debt simply to get the better refi rate.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I currently don't have a credit card because of my credit score is too low, will this change help first time credit card applicants?
Discover has a great credit card, the Discover It Secured card, that allows you to make an initial deposit of whatever amount and that amount is used as your limit for the first 12(?) months of having the card. From there, they typically raise your limit and turn it into a standard credit so you can begin building your credit.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Discover has a great credit card, the Discover It Secured card, that allows you to make an initial deposit of whatever amount and that amount is used as your limit for the first 12(?) months of having the card. From there, they typically raise your limit and turn it into a standard credit so you can begin building your credit.

Oh ok, I'll look into it.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is FICO10 probably. You won't see this changes in years. Lenders are still using FICO 8.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? There's different numbered versions of FICO?
Yes. FICO 9 was release some time ago and only few bank uses it (Most national bank / credit unions don't). This new change is FICO 10 and won't probably be used either, or at least not in the near future.

Most lender currently are using FICO 8.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is FICO publicly available to view or is it something confidential that no one can see other than financial industry people?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Let's say you're thinking of lending money to someone and want to know the likelihood of them paying you back. What alternative system would you recommend?
If credit scores were used only for lending actual money to someone, and not for important things like getting an apartment or even a job in some cases, then a credit score system would be much more palatable. But when it's used for other things, then it totally screws over the poor.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
You can pay to view your actual FICO score at myfico.com. The forums there are the best on the net if you want to jump down the rabbit hole of credit.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Last I checked I have a really high credit score but man this shit feels like a fucking racket.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is FICO publicly available to view or is it something confidential that no one can see other than financial industry people?

FICO 9:
  • Third-party collections that have been paid off no longer have a negative impact.
  • Medical collections are treated differently than other types of debt. Unpaid medical collections will have less of a negative impact on FICO® Score 9.
  • Rental history, when it's reported, factors into the score?this may be especially beneficial for people with a limited credit history.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's say you're thinking of lending money to someone and want to know the likelihood of them paying you back. What alternative system would you recommend?

A system that is transparent and actually tells you how your score is created. This current system doesn't tell you shit other than your score and accounts.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
The whole credit system is fucked. You got shit credit but lots of income and want a new bmw? Get a sucker to co-sign, doesn't matter if they don't make nearly enough to cover it if you don't pay. Thats what happened to me, went from perfect credit to untouchable because of the debt to income ratio. Credit is still shit 7 years later. Lucky for me they eventually totaled the car and it got paid off, but I still got 5 years left until that crap goes away from my credit report. I've basically been saving up money with income from my second job to pay down my own debt faster. Doesn't seem to have any effect on my credit at all though. Next car I get will probably be a cash purchase. Turns out its pretty easy to save up 30-40k when you don't have credit card payments to deal with so its not so bad.

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
What if you dont have credit?
Get a secured credit card as someone pointed out earlier. I did the Discover Secured Credit Card route where I gave them $200 as my credit limit. After a year they refunded my money and increased the limit to 1500. I only used the card for reoccurring bills every month and paid off the balance whenever it was charged.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So for first time credit card people: It's good to get a secured credit card and only have bills charged to the card to pay off the full amount before the due date to get a higher credit score?

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
The whole credit system is fucked. You got shit credit but lots of income and want a new bmw? Get a sucker to co-sign, doesn't matter if they don't make nearly enough to cover it if you don't pay. Thats what happened to me, went from perfect credit to untouchable because of the debt to income ratio. Credit is still shit 7 years later. Lucky for me they eventually totaled the car and it got paid off, but I still got 5 years left until that crap goes away from my credit report. I've basically been saving up money with income from my second job to pay down my own debt faster. Doesn't seem to have any effect on my credit at all though. Next car I get will probably be a cash purchase. Turns out its pretty easy to save up 30-40k when you don't have credit card payments to deal with so its not so bad.

Cosigning a loan is accepting responsibility for the debt. There are plenty of things to dislike about aspects of the credit system but I struggle to understand what you think should have happened in the case you presented. Were you mislead?

So for first time credit card people: It's good to get a secured credit card and only have bills charged to the card to pay off the full amount before the due date to get a higher credit score?

It's a great way to establish a responsible credit history. The earlier the better.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
You should read up on something before making a hot take about it

Lol. I know exactly how this current system "works" and I have good credit so this isn't a personal issue.

Doesn't make it any less dumb that someone is penalized for being poor or for mistakes in their youth. Nor should someone be forced to use these credit products designed to keep people In a perpetual cycle of debt in order to have a good "credit score".

You have the exact same mentality that banks and these financial institutions want you to have.

May 25, 2019
London
Lol. I know exactly how this current system "works" and I have good credit so this isn't a personal issue.

Doesn't make it any less dumb that someone is penalized for being poor or for mistakes in their youth. Nor should someone be forced to use these credit products designed to keep people In a perpetual cycle of debt in order to have a good "credit score".

You have the exact same mentality that banks and these financial institutions want you to have.

History is important. Look no further than this very forum, which has a way of tracking feedback for the Buy/Sell/Trade thread so people can gauge who they can trust in future transactions.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If credit scores were used only for lending actual money to someone, and not for important things like getting an apartment or even a job in some cases, then a credit score system would be much more palatable. But when it's used for other things, then it totally screws over the poor.
That's a good argument for regulating who can use credit scores for what (just like, say, medical records are regulated), not for throwing out the system, in my opinion.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A system that is transparent and actually tells you how your score is created. This current system doesn't tell you shit other than your score and accounts.
Is the lack of transparency a US thing? I use creditkarma in Canada and the score is pretty transparent. Not in its exact details (creditkarma just makes an estimate of your score) but nothing seems like a surprise. Wouldn't the American version of the site be similar?

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Is the lack of transparency a US thing? I use creditkarma in Canada and the score is pretty transparent. Not in its exact details (creditkarma just makes an estimate of your score) but nothing seems like a surprise. Wouldn't the American version of the site be similar?

I'm talking about how a score is created, what makes it go up? What makes it go down? How many points is assigned to each action? If I get a credit card, how does it actually effect my score. Shit like that