• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Doug's Top 10 Crying Moments

No NC this week, Doug's on vacation, but he goes over 10 movies/shows/pieces of entertainment that made him cry.

....I have seen #7 & if you know who made it, then you understand why it's so emotional.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
NC: Horton Hears a Who

One of those "editorial reviews", but yeah, I remember this one being the most tolerable, though even as a kid, I questioned the random anime parody that happens for about 2 minutes.

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think something as iconic as Dr. Seuss would be in better studios than Blue Sky and Illumination. The latter is doing a new Grinch movie, so little to no faith in that one. Along with the Super Mario Bros movie.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I liked the movie well enough when I first saw it. I instantly fell in love with that weird yellow thing and it's inclusion in the movie.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
You'd think something as iconic as Dr. Seuss would be in better studios than Blue Sky and Illumination. The latter is doing a new Grinch movie, so little to no faith in that one. Along with the Super Mario Bros movie.

Eh at least they ain't as bad as the live-action films (especially the Cat in the Hat).

Speaking of which, don't think you guys are aware, but it has been confirmed awhile ago that there will be another adaptation of the Cat in the Hat, but it will be produced by Warner Animation Group. It's the first adaption under a new deal between Dr. Suess Enterprises and Warner Bros. So guess that means it will be the end of Dr. Suess' longtime partnership with Universal.

The deal also includes an adaption of Green Eggs and Ham that will be released on Netflix.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/w...erprises-for-future-film-projects-1202675350/

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
First Viewing of Batman Forever

Honestly compared to Batman and Robin, this honestly wasn't that bad. Not close to great by any means, but it was much more bearable. Kind of like the joke of Joel Schumacher being nice to everyone. I kind of feel it mirrors how he tends to get the brunt of the blame for what occurred, when it was WB that mandated a lighter film. Ironically, Schumacher wanted to adapt Batman: Year One. Another piece of interesting trivia, the late Bob Kane claimed Val Kilmer was the best Batman. I would say claim being the key word; doubt some people would believe that, not just because it wasn't really Val Kilmer's best work, but also because of Bob Kane taking all the credit for creating Batman and not acknowledging Bill Finger.

I will say what I absolutely hate about Batman Forever in retrospect is the portrayal of Two-Face; he's basically just the Joker. Don't think I can describe that any further, aside from Tommy Lee Jones ending up replacing Billy Dee Williams. I just find it funny that Billy Dee Williams didn't get to be Two-Face until the Lego Batman Movie.

Last edited:

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
One of the few films I had the misfortune of watching in theaters. That and the Squeakquel got people to overlook better films that were released in theaters around the same time.

And given what David Cross had to go through (he considers Chipwrecked the most unpleasant experience in his career), that's pretty much the last time we see him in those films.

Update: First Viewing of Chipwrecked

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot about March being the theme month. I guess because it wasn't January he didn't do that traditional "AND YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS" gag.

There might be an Alice: Through the Looking Glass review. Malcolm posted a picture of himself as a rabbit. Though that's not really a remake, just the sequel to an already existing remake. I guess that counts?

Never saw this, figured it would suck (yeah I was right). I remember it was a big deal for a while but then everyone just forgot about it. Shows how "beloved" it really was.

Reached the end and yep, next week is Through the Looking Glass.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was okay well at least Maleficant was

the rest of the movie though eh it was rushed and underdeveloped

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Real Thoughts: Sharkboy and Lavagirl

Sibling Rivalry: A Wrinkle in Time (Probably would avoid watching the video in case you plan on checking out the movie).

As for Maleficent, yeah wasn't all that interested in the film, but to see so much changes to the story of the 1959 film seemed pretty baffling. I would agree that Maleficent's adaptational heroism was completely unnecessary and simply took away what people liked about the character: being among one of the best Disney villains, alongside characters like Jafar, Scar, Gaston, and Frollo. Though Angelina Jolie acted well at least.

So if we are getting a review already next week, I take it no editorial then? Because that would certainly be warranted in the case of the Jungle Book, since it's probably the best out of the Disney live-action remakes in the new 10s. Though Doug apparently didn't like it.

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess, the third week will be Jungle Book or Pete's Dragon, then the end of the month will be Beauty and the Beast (and he already went over how he hated that one in other reviews)

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he did a Sibling Rivalry on the new B&TB, so my guess is he'll want to make a review of that. Watch as he jokes how it'd be an Old Vs. New but Old would instantly win.

I kind of forget there was a live action version of Pete's Dragon that I heard while very different from the original, wasn't all that bad. But Jungle Book seems like the more obvious choice.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Jungle Book besides nitpick with the songs is actually good

wonder what Doug thought about it and if he had complaints about cg

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Jungle Book besides nitpick with the songs is actually good

wonder what Doug thought about it and if he had complaints about cg

Here is his real life review.

The like vs dislike bar is 3.1K likes vs 1.1K dislikes.

Though besides being a good film, it's certainly not the definitive Jungle Book adaptation. While most Disney adaptations aren't entirely faithful anyways, the animated Jungle Book film actually got the worst of it, so much so that Walt Disney forbade anyone from using the actual Rudyard Kipling books as reference. Mowgli's name isn't even pronounced right in the films. And to drive things home, Kipling's daughter hated the animated film.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
I guess that answered my question

this review is going to be fun

I guess it will be fun at least. I just wonder if Doug's opinion will be different once the other adaptation of the Jungle Book is released this year. Yes there is another adaptation in the works that's being distributed by Warner Bros. and is directed by Andy Serkis. Though the title of the film was changed to "Mowgli" to avoid confusion with the Jon Favreau-directed Disney film.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know there was a community thread. I made a thread about the recent outing of past (current?) drama about Channel Awesome, Mike Michaud, and Doug Walker by former contributors. Lots of stuff I didn't know, like Doug Walker not owning the rights to Nostalgia Critic.