• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like he's preparing to go off (on Twitter? I don't really know how he plans to do it) about his "issues" with some of the other Channel Awesome producers - in other words, people other than management, and likely some of the other #ChangeTheChannel-ers - in the near future, if not some time tonight.

Oh, that's gonna be messy, his breakup with Nash was quite the messy affair.

Oct 25, 2017
I almost expect it, honestly. The problem with a large-scale public beef like this is that eventually the eye of Sauron was going to keep looking for new things. It's become fairly clear that not everyone involved in the document was as invested in it (or as interested in contributing to it) as some of the others, so at some point the heads were going to start to snap at each other. It also probably doesn't help that a LOT of the CA producers were very young when they first came into the "industry", so to speak. I know that I wasn't as enlightened or mature at 17 or 18 as I am now. Hell, I wasn't even as mature at 25. I've grown a lot in the past five years, and some of these producers have been working in the same sphere as each other for a decade.

My hope is that if Jacob feels strongly enough about this stuff to air even more dirty laundry in public, that it's information that's valuable and relevant to the current discussion and not "back in 2011, Linkara made a dumb joke that I didn't like" or similar. Now is not the time to start dredging up old beefs just to dredge up old beefs unless the information being released is a sign of a pattern of consistent bad behavior or something more serious.

I agree with all of this, and I expect comments, whatever they are, to be used as fodder to discredit the entire document. I mean, you have people misreading the document's basic complaints already, so anything to muddy things more will happen.

Also, things are slowing down as far as ubsubscribes go, and I'm seeing a lot more defense of the Walkers and people complaining about Allison Pregler and Marzgurl now.

sBgtTtN.png

Which, considering his audience, overwhelmingly male 18-34, and the people who are making a lot of the claims in the document, i.e. women, it shouldn't be a surprise. I certainly understand Lindsay's finality on all of this, and I expect the same soon from the others.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Here

He's planning on airing dirty laundry, from the sounds of it. He's said repeatedly he has more issues with other producers than with management, and frankly he's really argumentative and defensive about stuff most of the time.

At the very least, reading that Tweet in particular sounds more like a "here's how I feel about the situation/my history with CA as a whole" kind of thing and not "I'mma laundry-list every shitty thing anyone who I worked with at CA ever did". But I don't follow him on Twitter, so I don't really know if that instinct is on base or not.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I still know nothing about what went there, and no-one has explained anything about it to me. What exactly happened?

Well, from my own personal recollection though details are fuzzy: Nash and JO break up in 2013 as he was seeing someone else, later that year, Nash's father passed away: JO is silent, SadPanda tweets that JO and new boyfriend are a bunch of cunts for mocking Nash. It's proven it was a troll, but he lets the matter drop with "there are still plenty of reasons to be mad with Hope."

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
Well, from my own personal recollection though details are fuzzy: Nash and JO break up in 2013, apparently she (as JO was at the time) was seeing someone else, later that year, Nash's father passed away: JO is silent, SadPanda tweets that JO and new boyfriend are a bunch of cunts for mocking Nash. It's proven it was a troll, but he lets the matter drop with "there are still plenty of reasons to be mad with Hope."

Use masculine pronouns- I went into this in the previous thread, but tldr: you should use the "new" pronouns retroactively.

I have always been really iffy on Jake- he acts really self-righteous and abrasive a lot of the time, and treats himself as an authority on a lot of media he really isn't an authority on, not based on his background.

Also, he has this weirdly consistent hatred for media popular with queer women (Utena, RWBY, Steven Universe, The Legend of Korra)

At the very least, reading that Tweet in particular sounds more like a "here's how I feel about the situation/my history with CA as a whole" kind of thing and not "I'mma laundry-list every shitty thing anyone who I worked with at CA ever did". But I don't follow him on Twitter, so I don't really know if that instinct is on base or not.

I get the feeling he is, because in a previous tweet he said that he had more grievances with other producers, and that he'd get around to talking about it eventually. So I get the feeling this is it.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, from my own personal recollection though details are fuzzy: Nash and JO break up in 2013 as he was seeing someone else, later that year, Nash's father passed away: JO is silent, SadPanda tweets that JO and new boyfriend are a bunch of cunts for mocking Nash. It's proven it was a troll, but he lets the matter drop with "there are still plenty of reasons to be mad with Hope."

Use masculine pronouns- I went into this in the previous thread, but tldr: you should use the "new" pronouns retroactively.

I have always been really iffy on Jake- he acts really self-righteous and abrasive a lot of the time, and treats himself as an authority on a lot of media he really isn't an authority on, not based on his background.

Also, he has this weirdly consistent hatred for media popular with queer women (Utena, RWBY, Steven Universe, The Legend of Korra)

I get the feeling he is, because in a previous tweet he said that he had more grievances with other producers, and that he'd get around to talking about it eventually. So I get the feeling this is it.

Yeah, he loved dissing on Korra, a shame I did enjoy his Digimon retrospectives.

Arkle

Mar 26, 2018
Rialto, CA
Lindsay tweeting some final thoughts on all this.

I've often said that Lindsay is the sister I never had. I'm really hopeful that once this all winds down she gets what she wants from this and is able to put Channel Awesome as much behind her as she can (there's always gonnebe late-comers and trolls, sadly. I mean, I remember the week Paw & Maven announced they were going to be parents there were fans in the RDA chat so out of the loop that that was the first they'd heard the two were together).

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
I've often said that Lindsay is the sister I never had. I'm really hopeful that once this all winds down she gets what she wants from this and is able to put Channel Awesome as much behind her as she can (there's always gonnebe late-comers and trolls, sadly. I mean, I remember the week Paw & Maven announced they were going to be parents there were fans in the RDA chat so out of the loop that that was the first they'd heard the two were together).
I really hope she doesn't get pressured into no longer doing video stuff. She's the only ex-CA producer I've watched consistently over the years. (Link too, but his volume output is so high it's hard to keep up lol)

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
He rejects her advice as well, and runs all the way to his vegetarian pacifist monk predecessor (surely he understands Aang's soul and will tell him what he wants to hear). He tells him the same thing that the others did. Aang's not a monk. He's the Avatar, the defender of the world, and he needs to grow up in a hurry and learn how to kill when it becomes absolutely necessary, because there are some people out there who simply cannot be reasoned with.

This is some serious shit. So how does the show resolve this impasse? Deus ex machina.

1. Yangchen is a woman. She was also a fucking beast. There's a reason no one thought to put a toe out of line when she died and Kuruk was such a poor Avatar.

2. No, none of them told Aang to kill Ozai. Aang was in the head space where he perceived all of heir advice as 'kill him'.

Roku's advice wax whatever he did, don't half ass it. Roku could have stopped the war if he'd killed Sozin. He would have ALSO stopped it if when Sozin told him the plan he actually talked with him. Instead he shouted him down and left.

Kyoshi tells him that only justice can bring peace. She left a corrupt king in charge on a promise to take care of his people in exchange for quelling a just rebellion and creating the Dai Li. She sought peace instead of justice.

Kuruk's tells him to actively shape his destiny. Kuruk was a lazeabout do nothing because of how peaceful things were after Yangchen. It cost him his wife who was taken by a spirit he should have already been doing something about.

And Yangchen told him that his spiritual needs didn't matter as he needed to protect the world.

Yangchen was a VERY successful Avatar.

My point being that none of them wanted Aang to specifically kill Ozai. Because he and we as the audience saw that as the only way, we heard what we expected to hear.

The Lion Turtle provided him with another option, but he still followed all of the previous Avatars' guidance.

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
What? Jake has been very positive with both Utena and Steven Universe. He's very positive on Ikuhara's work in general.

I'd heard he disliked Utena and SU. Now I'm confused (And ofc I can't check his old reviews 'cause they're gone, and he doesn't seem to talk about SU on his Twitter.)

I checked his Twitter again- he DOES seem to like Utena, in his own way. (I get that the trans subtext is more important to him, but the way he talks about it is oddly dismissive of its value to queer female audiences), but he seems to have grown to dislike SU?

Last edited:

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I'd heard he disliked Utena and SU. Now I'm confused (And ofc I can't check his old reviews 'cause they're gone, and he doesn't seem to talk about SU on his Twitter.)
He hasn't talked about Steven Universe for a long time, I'm guessing because watching anime for his job takes up so much time. But I've been following him on twitter since was on Channel Awesome as JesuOtaku and he's spoken positively on both Utena and Steven Universe. His Utena movie review with Kyle was very jokey, and made fun of it but I think that's because of that was the expectations for reviews back then.

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
He hasn't talked about Steven Universe for a long time, I'm guessing because watching anime for his job takes up so much time. But I've been following him on twitter since was on Channel Awesome as JesuOtaku and he's spoken positively on both Utena and Steven Universe. His Utena movie review with Kyle was very jokey, and made fun of it but I think that's because of that was the expectations for reviews back then.

Ok. I thought I remembered him saying negative things about those two, and other people believed he had said negative things too, but it seems he is indeed still positive on both. There are other things about him that really give me pause (Besides his general abrasiveness and defensiveness), but on those things I can see I Was mistaken.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I thought I remembered him saying negative things about those two, and other people believed he had said negative things too, but it seems he is indeed still positive on both. There are other things about him that really give me pause (Besides his general abrasiveness and defensiveness), but on those things I can see I Was mistaken.

who are these "other people" you're talking about in this equation

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, I decided to do a tally of who's left.

Blockbuster Buster: Unknown. Supposedly not as active on social media. Unknown thoughts on incident.
Brad Jones: Staying. Friends with Walkers.
Toons These days. Unlikely. Has some sucess on Newgrounds (yes, I know) hasn't commented.

Angty Joe. Unlikely. No comments, Youtube star, doesn't need CA. Maybe doesn't even remember them?
Bargin Boy: Unknown. No comments.
Battle Geek Plus. Unlikely. Last video was a collab with NC. But has asked to not make "innapropriate comments" about situation.
Guru Larry: Unknown. Ok success on YT.
Yomarz: Unknown. No comments.

MasakoX: Unknown. Has TFS/4StarBento to fall on.
Bennnet the Sage: Unknown. Ok success on YT.

Screen Crashers: Unknown. No comments.

FOR REFERENCE ONLY. DO NOT HARRAS THESE INDIVIDUALS FOR ANY REASON.

Last edited:

Perrydotto

Apr 1, 2018
I really hope the people who contributed to the document take good care of themselves now. Especially the women are of course gonna be subject to harassment, it's goddamn sad that it's a given with this sorta thing. I really hope they'll be okay.

I also hope that whatever Jake will bring up won't turn this into a full on slapfight. He definitely has the right to say his piece, but if he's known to be kinda standoffish and blunt, I'm just worried he'll cause the legitimate grievances to be undermined.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He's the Avatar, the defender of the world, and he needs to grow up in a hurry and learn how to kill when it becomes absolutely necessary, because there are some people out there who simply cannot be reasoned with.

This is some serious shit. So how does the show resolve this impasse? Deus ex machina.

A bunch of people got mad at this ending, but Doug and Rob thought it was perfect, and couldn't see how anyone could have had a problem with it. They accused complainers of being bloodthirsty savages who wanted to watch an adult engage in a deathmatch with a child, and didn't see how a broken setup/payoff can also mean that the setup is wrong.
It can be wrong but I don't think it is in this case. They're not setting up Aang having to "grow up and kill a person", theyre setting up him sticking to his gut and doing what he thinks is right. The finale was about Aang's own identity. Being the Avatar doesn't mean he should give up on who he is as a person. That's just wrong. Everyone is telling him to reject his identity, and he has an existential crisis, so a deity comes in and gives him a weapon that depends on his identity and convictions being unbreakable. It's thematically consistent and fits the series really well.

Doug and Rob may have mischaractetized people's criticisms but a lot of people are misunderstanding the finale. Also Yangchen is a lady and you skipped Kuruk.

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
Weirdly sweet thing- watching Count Jackula's video on the cliques in CA, and he mentioned how he and Diamanda had a falling out. Well, Diamanda made a comment apologizing for the incident, and saying that she still considered them friends, and he was like "I'm glad to hear that" and that was unexpected but touching.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
To be blunt, I think Jake can be really blunt and often doesn't seem to care if his comments don't so much start discussion as start arguments.

I'm also not the biggest fan of him due to the way he's butted into some criticism of ANN lately but I dunno if bringing up his character is super relevant here?

Though I guess Avatar talk already happened anyway.

Yeah, I'm really really not seeing this implication of him airing dirty laundry or something; I feel like some of you sorta misread/overreacted to that tweet? He was just saying he'd do the same as Lindsay did and talk about that time period. I doubt he'll say more (nor do I think it's fair to expect him to) about any individuals, just being there as a whole, which will probably include repeating that sentiment and that's it.

We'll see shortly I guess.

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
True- like I've said, I've got issues regarding him that blur my judgment. And yeah, in context that Tweet had a completely different implication, I was thinking too heavily of some of his earlier comments.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Bets on who starts up a new aggregate site to try and get a bunch of the people back together again?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the closest viable thing to that these days is stuff on YouTube and even then they might be better off solo.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
An aggregate site like CA is an obsolete concept nowadays, since creators can easily work and grow independently via YouTube and Patreon.
This is probably true, but it would be cool to have a website that was able to be a sort of central hub area for people who are looking for that kind of entertainment. They would be a sort of middleman, directing an audience to the creator when they could go to the creator themselves, but it could be a sort of convience to have those kinds of creators in one place, especially if an audience is looking to expand the number of creators they follow.

The real problem of channel awesome is that they did not support the creators at all, and they didn't really let the audiences have an easy way to get into the non-major partners on CA. Several people talked about how they were basically buried under the likes of NC, Linkara, and Spoony, for no reason other than they weren't 'big' enough.

An aggregate site like CA isn't strictly necessary in this day and age, that much is 100% true, but we haven't really seen a CA site that does what CA was supposed to do either.

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
An aggregate site like CA isn't strictly necessary in this day and age, that much is 100% true, but we haven't really seen a CA site that does what CA was supposed to do either.

I wonder how much benefit an aggregate site ever had, even in the past. CA seems to have been unique in its whole "Collect creators to us". Other sites that could be compared to any extent tended to incorporate them into like, an actual system- so that gradually it would all basically become "in house" productions. Basically what I'm saying is that the concept of being an aggregator, and then remaining an aggregator doesn't seem to have many long-term prospects.

Oct 25, 2017
Lost 30,000 since this started, and I'd be willing to bet a large portion of it was due to their non-apology as well as like two dozen current contributors leaving.

As I said yesterday, it is slowing down, but it is still sad and shocking, and I feel for any of the 30+ former contributor who suffered with them. At least we have a good list of new people to follow for those that haven't been on the site in years.

2WkZvn7.png

https://www.smule.com/recording/hamilton-broadway-youll-be-back/242600537_2130684788

Apr 4, 2018
United States
Does anyone know if anything happened, or if anyone commented anything at ESCC? The CA twitter has been retweeting Brad and Tamara, but nothing really outside of that. I know Brad and Irving joked about what might happen at the end of the Acrimony Midnight Screening, but I was curious to know if anyone was there/has any idea if anything happened.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX

I know more of the complete story than you. However, it involves some incredibly personal shit and I respect Jakes wishes to not dredge up shit from his past on a public forum without permission, so I'll just say that since Jake got away from his old life and anything involving Channel Awesome, his life has improved immensely.

Also lets be clear here: Jake and his "new boyfriend" (now his husband) never made fun of or harrassed Nash. Creepy TGwtG fans were stalking Jake online after the public break up and were harrassing them incessantly, including impersonating them in chats to make them look bad, to the point Jake's husband had to put out a fucking statement begging them to quit it. All this abuse because these losers couldn't separate the fictional personas from the real people behind them. Also, Nash did little to control these harrassers during this time so he was definitely not without fault here (along with other reasons I don't want to state here).

I also hope that whatever Jake will bring up won't turn this into a full on slapfight. He definitely has the right to say his piece, but if he's known to be kinda standoffish and blunt, I'm just worried he'll cause the legitimate grievances to be undermined.

If you are implying that Jakes greivances are not as serious, you are wrong. He's endured a lot, putting it mildly.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I remember when Brad raised $50k for Jesus Bro and then it came out and it still looked like the same amateur stuff they have always produced.

I have seen mumblecore thats produced on the most shoestring of budgets look like it wasn't made by a bunch of nerds out of their dad's garage.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I have seen mumblecore thats produced on the most shoestring of budgets look like it wasn't made by a bunch of nerds out of their dad's garage.

Interestingly, there's nothing wrong with that kind of cheap production if you funded it out of your own pocket. But if you're going to start up a kickstarter/indigogo to raise funds for making a movie then you better believe you gotta bump up the production and not make it look as equal to or worse than your original stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen all of maybe two nostalgia critic videos in my entire life, same for my wife. We had no idea they made that many horrible movies under such horrible conditions. Yeesh

Perrydotto

Apr 1, 2018
If you are implying that Jakes greivances are not as serious, you are wrong. He's endured a lot, putting it mildly.

Oh, I can absolutely believe that. I just legit have no idea, and I don't want the usual suspects (Gamergate et al) to get anything thrown their way that makes them act as if the grievances with the CA management are meaningless, or worse BS. Jake should most definitely say what he has to say, I just hope it doesn't cause harassment that nobody involved should endure (including Jake, mind you).

Last edited:

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Oh, I can absolutely believe that. I just legit have no idea, and I don't want the usual suspects (Gamergate et al) to get anything thrown their way that makes them act as if the grievances with the CA management are meaningless, or worse BS. Jake should most definitely say what he has to say, I just hope it doesn't cause harassment that nobody involved should endure (including Jake, mind you).

I do understand what you mean. As much as I like and respect Jake for his work both before at CA and currently at ANN, he definitely likes to make his opinions known in a rather blunt, semi-confrontational manner, some of which I agree with and others I do not (his take on Korra's ending is WHACK).

However, GG and other unsavory groups of people are gonna run with whatever narrative they want regardless of what any of the victims have to say or how well/poorly they describe their abuse. Best we can do is to not let them control the conversation if that happens and support the people coming out with their stories.

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
I know more of the complete story than you. However, it involves some incredibly personal shit and I respect Jakes wishes to not dredge up shit from his past on a public forum without permission, so I'll just say that since Jake got away from his old life and anything involving Channel Awesome, his life has improved immensel

Well alright. It's strange and disconcerting that whatever happened to Jacob seems to be an open secret among some people, and completely unknown to others (Based on how conversations about this either go "I have no idea why Jacob left" or "It's so good for Jacob that he got out when he did".)

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

WTF, Lindsay? WTF? So her and her friends just accuses someone of being alt-right without ever having spoken to them?