• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't know it was so drastic. I hope this sends a message to similar sites.

I watched the video posted a few pages back pretty much dumbing the situation down. I was really disappointed to see Linkara participating in that "rape" scene with Lindsey. I really liked his AT4W video years ago and remembered how he disliked rape being used in comics for just shock value. That really stained his image in my mind. Hsa he said anything about it?

Lewis and Lindsay both told Doug outright that they weren't comfortable with the scene as in the script and he has commented on how horrified he was to see it several times since.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Well, that was a long read since my last post...

Hey man. I gotta ask: Why are you structuring your post like a poem? Why are you starting a new paragraph with every new sentence? Not only is hurting me physically trying to read this but it also, like, doubles the length of this page. Please don't do that. It's bad.

Garmonbozia

Oct 27, 2017
My understanding is that the basic reason for 8chan's existence was feeling oppressed by 4chan's rules, and 4chan's rules were barely more than what they needed to avoid legal issues.

d12gksc8.jpg

Also, nice job with your burner account, Puff the Magic Dragon. Very memorable.
jfc reminds me of those awful conservative political cartoons about how the libs and/or the leftists are the REAL opressors.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
jfc reminds me of those awful conservative political cartoons about how the libs and/or the leftists are the REAL opressors.

Oh, don't worry, they have those too.

141557079543147spp.png

But I shouldn't derail too much.

(P.S. for extra irony, the blonde girl is the recolour mascot they made for /pol/ on 4chan, but /pol/ decided it was too subtle and have her a uniform to go with the blonde hair and blue eyes.)

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Lewis and Lindsay both told Doug outright that they weren't comfortable with the scene as in the script and he has commented on how horrified he was to see it several times since.

That makes me feel a little better. It really didn't seem like him to be comfortable with the scene. I can't believe Doug was okay with it and even pushed for it. Just gross.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That makes me feel a little better. It really didn't seem like him to be comfortable with the scene. I can't believe Doug was okay with it and even pushed for it. Just gross.

As far as I can tell, Doug wrote it. It was either him or Rob, and my guess is Rob didn't really write any scene he wasn't directly involved in. But yeah, completely failing to read the room seems to be a general running theme for Doug across his entire 'career'.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell, Doug wrote it. It was either him or Rob, and my guess is Rob didn't really write any scene he wasn't directly involved in. But yeah, completely failing to read the room seems to be a general running theme for Doug across his entire 'career'.

If I recall, it was mentioned by several people in the document that almost no one even read the script beforehand, so there's basically nowhere else it could come from.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

141557079543147spp.png

(P.S. for extra irony, the blonde girl is the recolour mascot they made for /pol/ on 4chan, but /pol/ decided it was too subtle and have her a uniform to go with the blonde hair and blue eyes.)

Every time I see one of these, I am not never not blown away by how they operate on strawmen/completely different planes of reality.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

141557079543147spp.png

What...even is the joke here? Like, what the fuck is the punchline? What the hell?

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Hey man. I gotta ask: Why are you structuring your post like a poem? Why are you starting a new paragraph with every new sentence? Not only is hurting me physically trying to read this but it also, like, doubles the length of this page. Please don't do that. It's bad.

I'm not sure why that should be like a poem.
I'm trying to structure sentences into an paragraph that are a chain of thought for me.
I see what you mean with increasing the page size, but i think you're blowing it out of proportions
(doubling the page?), and are talking in absolutes (It's bad).
For me posts that are structured with paragraphs are easier to read
(having anchor points where i was, especially if the user has a writing style that i find hard to follow).
But i understand that were different here, I'll try to find a compromise with less paragraphs =)

(Plus paragraphs are easier to correct for me, since my written English is... yeah, it needs work)

Oct 25, 2017
If I recall, it was mentioned by several people in the document that almost no one even read the script beforehand, so there's basically nowhere else it could come from.

Yeah, they weren't given the scripts that much ahead of time because of constant rewrites. Both people knew about the rape scene before shooting and argued for it to be cut (along with Lindsay's character name change, which Doug did allow to be changed to Seven of Eleven and not the originally intended Sixty of Nine). So, it was argued beforehand, and Doug wanted to do a "we will shoot it both ways" thing. Then, he lost the audio or something and Lindsay had to redo the voiceover for it.

Every time I see one of these, I am not never not blown away by how they operate on strawmen/completely different planes of reality.

We just had someone in this thread pretend that women don't care about the rights of men, so it's hard to be surprised anymore!

What...even is the joke here? Like, what the fuck is the punchline? What the hell?

If I had to guess, it's comparing the girl to a nazi because of the Miss Aryan thing?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

In order for the joke to work, imagine that you argue white supremacy to liberals who then call you a white supremacist. Then imagine that you're unable to accept that result, so you instead assume that you automatically lose arguments with liberals if you're white.

Now imagine that you have the opportunity to tell a liberal that they're white, which I guess you can't do in real life because you're a fucking nerd and you haven't met enough people to know a white liberal. You've now destroyed them at their own game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently he removed it but kept Film brain reaction which made no sense

Yeah, I've seen the film - they still do the scene, they just cut out into the hallway and show Film Brain's reaction instead of the assault, but you can still hear Lindsay making all the dumb sex noises Doug forced her to record. I don't know how they thought that was better.

In order for the joke to work, imagine that you argue white supremacy liberals who then call you a white supremacist. Then imagine that you're unable to accept that result, so you instead assume that you automatically lose arguments with liberals if you're white.

Now imagine that you have the opportunity to tell a liberal that they're white, which I guess you can't do in real life because you're a fucking nerd and you haven't met enough people to know a white liberal. You've now destroyed them at their own game.

It's like a bad logic pretzel.

Garmonbozia

Oct 27, 2017
In order for the joke to work, imagine that you argue white supremacy to liberals who then call you a white supremacist. Then imagine that you're unable to accept that result, so you instead assume that you automatically lose arguments with liberals if you're white.

We're past mental gymnastics. This is downright mental quantum entanglement.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've seen the film - they still do the scene, they just cut out into the hallway and show Film Brain's reaction instead of the assault, but you can still hear Lindsay making all the dumb sex noises Doug forced her
it's been ages since I seen the film and used for background noise

It makes no sense as well wasn't he assimilating her? why the rape other than he's evil plus no one knew but film brain and was for the sake of a joke

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to structure sentences into an paragraph that are a chain of thought for me.
I see what you mean with increasing the page size, but i think you're blowing it out of proportions
(having anchor points where i was, especially if the user has a writing style that i find hard to follow).
But i understand that were different here, I'll try to find a compromise with less paragraphs =)

(Plus paragraphs are easier to correct for me, since my written English is... yeah, it needs work)

You're not writing in paragraphs though, is the thing? You're starting a new line with every sentence (or sometimes even just after a few words), rather than actually writing a paragraph with multiple sentences (like this) before transitioning to a slightly different topic in a new one. You don't have to post in one huge wall of text; just don't make a new line for every sentence, is all.

To look at part of your previous post for an example:
Changing all former forum posts for me falls in the first category,
which doesn't mean that i have a problem if someone has the time to change all the posts.
"You can even leave an little editor's note explaining the change" Would be my preferred
practice if someone wants to chance all mentions,
but i think you could argue that that directs the focus on the fact that there was a coming out,
which would be counterproductive to the edit?

is not a paragraph, and is very unusual to read, especially since you're breaking at unnatural places like after "preferred". It also looks worse on the mobile site, since that already has short line lengths and makes your post look further broken up.

This:

Changing all former forum posts for me falls in the first category, which doesn't mean that i have a problem if someone has the time to change all the posts. "You can even leave an little editor's note explaining the change" would be my preferred
practice if someone wants to chance all mentions, but i think you could argue that that directs the focus on the fact that there was a coming out, which would be counterproductive to the edit?

would be the same text as a proper paragraph. It might be easier for you to process it as you typed, but unfortunately it's actually harder for us (well, for me at least, I guess I shouldn't speak for others) and definitely makes your post way bigger than it'd be otherwise.

Also, just a note about something you said in that other post since I had actually been wondering if English was your first language for a bit. Forgive me if this seems patronizing, but do you know that "whining" is dismissive? It's not a word usually used for a valid complaint or criticism, because it implies what the person was saying didn't have merit. Even "complaining" can be a little dismissive in some contexts, but might fit better for what you meant if you think the other things in the document were still valid, just less serious.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
it's been ages since I seen the film and used for background noise

It makes no sense as well wasn't he assimilating her? why the rape other than he's evil plus no one knew but film brain and was for the sake of a joke

Yeah...the joke was "robot assimilation = sex = rape", basically. It's really not smart.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I guess assimilation = forced and violation = rape

it doesn't work as a joke it works as creepy subtext ala Aliens

but as a joke ?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

but as a joke ?

Army of Darkness did the same thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if Doug thought that because Sam Raimi did it in 1992 he could get away with it now.

Oct 25, 2017

but as a joke ?
Didn't Army of Darkness do something similar? Also, I thought the VO implied that she "liked" it, so maybe that's part of the joke as well? I know that variation gets used in other movies. There's the scene in Young Frankenstein where the monster is going to rape the woman and she is terrified, but when he reveals he has a big penis, she's like "Oh, let's do this!".

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
basically Doug can't direct a movie

Wouldn't this be more a matter of being unable to write a movie? It sounds like demonstrated being unable to direct with breaking the 180 rule, trying to give directions to people who aren't actually in the movie, long arguments about whether or not to add someone to the scene or to move the camera slightly, and "oh well plot hole!"

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma

Try sticking to 5 sentences per paragraph. It's a good rule to follow if your not entirely sure. If you're breaking it up after 1 or 2 sentences then you're doing it wrong. It's just a real pain in the ass to read that way.

On topic; I've mostly only followed Brad and Lindsay but it's crazy to see Channel Awesome implode like this. They've always seemed like an online content fixture to me and I never thought things could be so terrible for some content producers. I've already unsubscribed to channel awesome on YouTube, to be honest I wasn't really watching much on there anyway.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Video of it and his interview with 20/20.

You know its not the most graceful way to quit, but fuck being a janitor. Thats some of the worst pay you can get for a labor job (espically a night janitor), so I congragulate him for having some fun atleast.

I do have to wonder how long Doug is gonna do NC for? I dont think he has many marketable skills besides NC, you think he might regret burning bridges with his janitor gig,lol.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing for me is that I have never been a fan of Lupa's, even back when I regularly watched CA videos. But seeing her out of character in that video just being open and honest made me gain a ton of respect for her. I get Allison Pregler more than I ever got Obscurus Lupa, if that makes any sense at all. I don't think it's going to make me watch her videos since I don't really need more film review stuff in my life right now, but I really wish her the best.
Same her content has never been my jam but I find that lamentable because I really like Allison as a person.

Signed Psittacus the Science Parrot

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder at this point if Doug and Rob are going to publicly comment on this and try and do some decent damage control. Really feels like they are hoping this just all blows over.

Arkle

Mar 26, 2018
Rialto, CA
I really wonder at this point if Doug and Rob are going to publicly comment on this and try and do some decent damage control. Really feels like they are hoping this just all blows over.

I think even they know it's too late and that at this point saying something is just as bad as saying nothing. The window of opportunity where they could've come out the other side of this okay was slammed shut by the non-apology apology.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I think even they know it's too late and that at this point saying something is just as bad as saying nothing. The window of opportunity where they could've come out the other side of this okay was slammed shut by the non-apology apology.
I mean, even past that window, saying something well is still better than saying nothing at all. But the problem is, they're incapable of saying something worth saying.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even past that window, saying something well is still better than saying nothing at all. But the problem is, they're incapable of saying something worth saying.
Exactly, thing is despite all the faults and issues that this has all brought up, I used to really like Dougs work, I'd watch his videos every week. I loved his top 11's, look back on old Commercials, Disneycember and so on. With all of this thats come to light it makes it really hard to think fondly about that stuff anymore. At the very least if he came out and said "Yeah we fucked up, we are sorry and want to do better" it would at least be a step to some form of redemption. Him saying nothing is just proving everyone right :(

Mar 30, 2018
So what do you guys think of the future of CA? Will it hang on only to be a shell of it's former self, will it just die, or will this have little impact?

A few more will continue to leave the main site within the next few weeks. I don't believe Channel Awesome will attempt to replenish the ranks. Michaud knows that people are wise to him now and that everyone will eventually turn on him like the rest because he has no intention of changing his behavior towards contributors. I suspect he believes that other contributors are no longer worth it. He will just wait out the few hanger-ons and focus on the YouTube channel solely. He owns the intellectual property to The Nostalgia Critic, which means Doug Walker isn't going anywhere. Doug has no head for business, and his continued existence within the company gives him, his brother and his father jobs. Business will continue as usual unless this implosion attracts mainstream attention. If it doesn't, nothing will change, and Channel Awesome will eventually plateau, slip a bit and then fall apart. The idea that people will still watch The Nostalgia Critic in the year 2030 or something is laughable. This can't last forever. It's surprising that it has lasted as long as it has.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Honestly, if you want to reveal any specific names, it shouldn't be here. You shouldn't endanger the forum since if someone gets involved in court cases later we don't want the site tangled up in that. Twitter or social media would be better.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The best course of action is just to let things happen as they will, since the information will assuredly come out on its own if your source is legit. We don't need to make ourselves the center or a focus of this firestorm.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you can't reveal that kind of stuff. If they want to come forward, they can make a free account on any website and do it themselves. Anything else is a potential trap.

I've been watching Youtube statistics, but I thought I would check twitter, and they've lost about 2000 followers in the last 30-ish days since this stuff started (the bulk is from when the document was published). I'm still surprised they have so little twitter followers in general (66 thousand) when you compare them to their youtube subscriber and view counts.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you can't reveal that kind of stuff. If they want to come forward, they can make a free account on any website and do it themselves. Anything else is a potential trap.

I've been watching Youtube statistics, but I thought I would check twitter, and they've lost about 2000 followers in the last 30-ish days since this stuff started (the bulk is from when the document was published). I'm still surprised they have so little twitter followers in general (66 thousand) when you compare them to their youtube subscriber and view counts.
I'd say the low social media followers count would just be to how clueless the management seem to be about it in the first place. I'm sure thats one of the things that people had bought up they missed the boat on.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
You know its not the most graceful way to quit, but fuck being a janitor. Thats some of the worst pay you can get for a labor job (espically a night janitor), so I congragulate him for having some fun atleast.

I do have to wonder how long Doug is gonna do NC for? I dont think he has many marketable skills besides NC, you think he might regret burning bridges with his janitor gig,lol.
I'd imagine he will be doing NC as long as he can. After the Demo Reel venture I doubt he is going to do anything drastic anytime soon.

Even if he and Mike had some sort of falling out and couldn't use the NC brand anymore I think he would do well enough just as a general movie/show reviewer and overall entertainer on youtube focusing on newer releases. His fanbase is big and he has got a ton of exposure for a very long time.

Mike is the one who has most to lose if everything falls apart.

Last edited:

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think he would do well enough just as a general movie/show reviewer and overall entertainer on youtube focusing on newer releases.
I doubt that. They tried that once with the Demo Reel thingy and it didn't work out for them at all. Unless Doug reinvents his approach to reviewing, he will quickly fade into obscurity - whatever that means, given there are people with millions of followers/subscribers whom some will likely have never heard of - given that the NC apparently is the only reason he's still around.

Last edited: