• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guru Larry

Apr 14, 2018
Hey Guys, Guru Larry here (you can message me on Twitter if you need proof it's really me)

I just wanted to say, please please please don't instantly dismiss me as being a "GamerGater", that was a long time ago, people can change. If you've watched any of my recent videos, you'd realize that that is absolutely not the case now. I'm close friends with people like Hbomberguy and Jim Sterling, who have both been guests in recent episodes of Fact Hunt. They wouldn't want to have anything to do with me if I was a GamerGater. I've also openly mocked people such as Davis Aruni, (though anyone who dresses like a pirate to look "edgy" isn't that hard to make fun of to be honest :D)

(I have a whole video about misogyny and transphobia in '80s and '90s gaming adverts/promotions coming up very soon if you're willing to give me a chance, it's quite shocking the lengths they went to by today's standards)

Also, someone mentioned Holly here, We've spoken quite a bit behind the scenes and she's been very supportive, even defended me a few times from people who didn't understand my intentions. She's super cool. Holly's probably had the worst time out of anyone recently, so it was nice to make her laugh :) I've offered to stop immediately if it has upset anyone who was affected by Channel Awesome's actions.

I'm totally open to any questions you peeps have too, so if you have any objections or questions, please fire away!

Oct 25, 2017

Kaitlyn "MarzGurl" uploaded a video talking about the whole Justin situation and outlining what she plans to do whit stuff like the movie they made on his honor

I put off watching this all day because I knew I was going to feel awful after watching it.

I feel awful. I feel so bad for her, the targeting she's been getting, and I'm so angry at the people attacking her, including a jackass former producer, as well as the Channel Awesome response that caused all of this. And I'm angry and annoyed by jackasses who are taking this all as a big joke. It's so bad, and damning, and beyond reproach. What is wrong with all of these people?

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
This thread gave me a really hard time once it devolved into the JW fallout, especially when the arguments on "should have reported" and the borderline digging into details happened. People do not do this maliciously usually, but it is still part of the reason why such crimes rarely get reported on:
If things like this happen, and the victim goes public, it inevitably leads to point-by-point analysis and judgement of every single action involved,digging up details one really wouldn't want to dig into, and also leading to "why did the victim not..." which is usually about as helpful as a sledgehammer to the face.

I am actually genuinely surprised this thread went better in that regard than I thought it would. Thanks for that, folks. :)

Marzgurls video was heartbreaking, and the response to it... by some... is absolutely abhorrent. I am seeing people outright lying to pretend that she is the one responsible for outing the victims, not the CA "defense". It's just disgusting.

On the centrist bit a bit back:
The term is unfortunately poisoned. And I say that as someone that used to always say "I am a centrist". What I meant was "I am between the most left party in Germany (the PDS at the time, who had ties to the "German Democratic Republic", which I despise cause of STASI reasons - the Berlin wall cut my family in half, so I have zero patience with people that have nostalgia for it) and the most right party, the NPD/AFD, who are literal nazis)".
Nowadays on the internet, with the democrats in the US somehow being considered "Left", despite being an overall right-wing party in my opinion, the term is just useless. If the center is now between "left" (democrats) and "right" (literal nazis), it means something *UTTERLY* different from what it used to and is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY right of the old "centrist" position.

And I suppose that's the point: Make the "right" point so far right that the "center" gets dragged further and further to the right, to the point of now being in territory that 20 years ago would be considered hardcore right-wing to the point that even right-wingers would blink at it and go "are you sure this is okay".

"Teach the controversy" never worked for anyone but the nutcases.

Edit: second heartbreaking -> abhorrent

I'm totally open to any questions you peeps have too, so if you have any objections or questions, please fire away!

If that really is you, I admit that some of your past stuff has made me extremely wary, but... I'd give you a chance. People can change.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Guys, Guru Larry here (you can message me on Twitter if you need proof it's really me)

I just wanted to say, please please please don't instantly dismiss me as being a "GamerGater", that was a long time ago, people can change. If you've watched any of my recent videos, you'd realize that that is absolutely not the case now. I'm close friends with people like Hbomberguy and Jim Sterling, who have both been guests in recent episodes of Fact Hunt. They wouldn't want to have anything to do with me if I was a GamerGater. I've also openly mocked people such as Davis Aruni, (though anyone who dresses like a pirate to look "edgy" isn't that hard to make fun of to be honest :D)

(I have a whole video about misogyny and transphobia in '80s and '90s gaming adverts/promotions coming up very soon if you're willing to give me a chance, it's quite shocking the lengths they went to by today's standards)

Also, someone mentioned Holly here, We've spoken quite a bit behind the scenes and she's been very supportive, even defended me a few times from people who didn't understand my intentions. She's super cool. Holly's probably had the worst time out of anyone recently, so it was nice to make her laugh :) I've offered to stop immediately if it has upset anyone who was affected by Channel Awesome's actions.

Alright, thanks for coming in and clearing the air calmly and kindly. I hope you understand how people may have felt that way, expressed what they said, and are perhaps sensitive to the issue. I imagine some may have follow up questions and even i may have some myself, but now its rather late.

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watched/listened to Kaylyn's statement during breakfast. You can hear she's on the verge of tears from the betrayal and the secrecy involved in this mess and one can only speculate whether it was out of respect for the victims, fear of the responses or simple negligence that the information was not given to CA's associates at the time. I think it just goes to show there's little if any "right ways" to handle a situation such as this.

Also here's a statement from The Omega Geek (Diamanda Hagan's wife) on the subject (just the first post of the thread):

though this is the most important part of her reaction:
Me? I chose to excommunicate him as a 'saint' in my regards, leaving that designation to better people, like my grandfather and cousin Michael. He is dead. His victims are alive. I owe my empathy to them, not to a ghost.
Anyway, I probably won't be reading much, if any of this thread and on this subject on twitter until Friday. Brian McDoogle , could you send me a PM please if something major happens?

Oct 25, 2017

Considering a lot of people who revealed their awful experiences working with CA in the document are now being actively harassed, how do you feel about making this all into a joke about you still being at the site?

With the recent revelations about a former contributor being an alleged rapist and groomer, how do you feel about making this all into a joke about you still being at the site?

Now that there have been two relatively negative responses by Channel Awesome that resulted in the exodus by nearly every producer formerly associated with the site, how do you feel about making this all into a joke about you still being at the site?

Oct 25, 2017
Watched/listened to Kaylyn's statement during breakfast. You can hear she's on the verge of tears from the betrayal and the secrecy involved in this mess and one can only speculate whether it was out of respect for the victims, fear of the responses or simple negligence that the information was not given to CA's associates at the time. I think it just goes to show there's little if any "right ways" to handle a situation such as this.

Also here's a statement from The Omega Geek (Diamanda Hagan's wife) on the subject (just the first post of the thread):

though this is the most important part of her reaction:

Anyway, I probably won't be reading much, if any of this thread and on this subject on twitter until Friday. Brian McDoogle , could you send me a PM please if something major happens?

I will PM you or anyone who asks if anything major happens.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Considering a lot of people who revealed their awful experiences working with CA in the document are now being actively harassed, how do you feel about making this all into a joke about you still being at the site?

With the recent revelations about a former contributor being an alleged rapist and groomer, how do you feel about making this all into a joke about you still being at the site?

Now that there have been two relatively negative responses by Channel Awesome that resulted in the exodus by nearly every producer formerly associated with the site, how do you feel about making this all into a joke about you still being at the site?
Man thank you. At first the small tease/joke was fine but it's long overstayed it's welcome. It's just bad now and borderline offensive.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

Guru Larry

We've had people with...lets call it controversial pasts come to the Era forums before and, inevitably, people have put their poor behavior right in front of them and asked them to justify it. The difference between those who genuinely want to be given a chance to show they've improved and those who just say it and then collapse at the first sign of scrutiny is that the latter, when confronted with post's like Brian Doogle's, just...said nothing. Which itself is meaningful. It's saying "I don't have an answer, but don't want to admit I'm wrong."

So, maybe you have an answer and maybe you don't. All I'm saying is that you might be tempted to just ignore this question. And if you do...that'll be an answer in itself too.

Oct 25, 2017
Guru Larry

We've had people with...lets call it controversial pasts come to the Era forums before and, inevitably, people have put their poor behavior right in front of them and asked them to justify it. The difference between those who genuinely want to be given a chance to show they've improved and those who just say it and then collapse at the first sign of scrutiny is that the latter, when confronted with post's like Brian Doogle's, just...said nothing. Which itself is meaningful. It's saying "I don't have an answer, but don't want to admit I'm wrong."

So, maybe you have an answer and maybe you don't. All I'm saying is that you might be tempted to just ignore this question. And if you do...that'll be an answer in itself too.
The thing is, I'm not even calling out long past behavior.

Edit: anyway, this circus starts again tomorrow. I just hope a bunch of people here don't hop on the merry-go-round. Night all. Also, graphs didn't update by the time I went to bed. I'll update in the AM.

Last edited:

Guru Larry

Apr 14, 2018
Alright, thanks for coming in and clearing the air calmly and kindly. I hope you understand how people may have felt that way, expressed what they said, and are perhaps sensitive to the issue. I imagine some may have follow up questions and even i may have some myself, but now its rather late.

That's quite alright, nobody wins in a heated argument, But I totally understand, I'd feel the same way too! But if you can think of anything to say, I'm more than happy to respond!

Good question, I made sure I had the approval of the other contributors before I set about making this a joke, they see I'm quite clearly trolling the management now and find it hilarious (I'm just amazed I've not been fired yet). If any of them object, I would immediately stop as I don't wish to hurt any of my friends.

As for JewWario, there's no win/win scenario there. Even I was lied to about his dismissal, I was told he wanted to "Go work with his friends at Retroware TV", This sounds like a pathetic excuse, but I am close friends with his victim, and she said what I'm doing is helping her come through these emotional, it's not an excuse for my validation to make fun, absolutely not. But I'm am giving people a smile during these dark times.

But yeah, I've been running this gag for four days now, I'm going to start winding down. It'll just make me look like a bitter asshole if I continue.

Last edited:

CrankyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My two cents are: hbomb and Jim wouldn't do voice work for Larrys show if he was still into that GG shit.
Also making fun of Channel Awesome isn't making fun of people who were done wrong by them.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Good question, I made sure I had the approval of the other contributors before I set about making this a joke, they see I'm quite clearly trolling the management now and find it hilarious (I'm just amazed I've not been fired yet). If any of them object, I would immediately stop as I don't wish to hurt any of my friends.

How many of them have you asked before going through with it? Can you specify anyone?

Oct 25, 2017
That's quite alright, nobody wins in a heated argument, But I totally understand, I'd feel the same way too! But if you can think of anything to say, I'm more than happy to respond!

As for JewWario, there's no win/win scenario there. Even I was lied to about his dismissal, I was told he wanted to "Go work with his friends at Retroware TV", This sounds like a pathetic excuse, but I am close friends with his victim, and she said what I'm doing is helping her come through these emotional, it's not an excuse for my validation to make fun, absolutely not. But I'm am giving people a smile during these dark times.

But yeah, I've been running this gag for four days now, I'm going to start winding down. It'll just make me look like a bitter asshole if I continue.
Sorry for being caustic, but the last month has been a mess for those of us invested and knew people involved in this shit show for almost a decade. Are you only speaking about Holly, or others?

To clarify, you no longer believe these things? (Also, you confirmed these things in.... 2016 and were totally ok with them being posted to the Gamer Gate subreddit that hated women... in 2016.)

http://archive.is/hsFqs

Not much of a "gamer" if you think GamerGate is about misogyny are you?
The debate has ALWAYS been about corruption in video gaming journalism. Nothing more. It's the constant strawmanning of these corrupt journos saying it's about hating females that is solid fact of this.
Oh, but these women are getting death threats. Soooo you're going to slander every single gamer on the bequest of a couple of internet trolls trying to derail the point (if they do exist, these people who are harassed seem to ignore requests of evidence of the police reports).
No pro-gamergater has ANY issues about women working in the gaming industry. Why would they? what kind of possible benefit would there be? None whatsoever, so STOP slandering us with these accusations that we're misogynistic.
All we want is to stop being lied at.
Still as an NFL player, I'm sure you're not one for sexualizing women and letting them be part of the team? Oh…

Guru Larry

Apr 14, 2018
How many of them have you asked before going through with it? Can you specify anyone?

Essentially everyone in the private Skype group we have, which is a good 20 members, Nash, Holly, Marzgurl, Tony Goldmark, Linkara (off the top of my head) but no one there objected.

Sorry for being caustic, but the last month has been a mess for those of us invested and knew people involved in this shit show for almost a decade. Are you only speaking about Holly, or others?

To clarify, you no longer believe these things? (Also, you confirmed these things in.... 2016 and were totally ok with them being posted to the Gamer Gate subreddit that hated women... in 2016.)

http://archive.is/hsFqs

No need to apologize, I never saw it as caustic :)

I'm talking about a good 20 ex-contributors in the private skype chat we have, which has been running for a good eight nine years, it started off where we can privately chat outside of the management's sight, air our grievances Etc.

As for my beliefs, I certainly do believe there's corruption still, but I mainly report it on a historical aspect, check out my Driv3rGate video on a scandal that Future and Atari buried about 12 years ago.
But I did phrase it incorrectly, Of course there's misogyny and harassment, I've got a ton of evidence never seen before myself which I'll be showing in some future Fact Hunt episodes. I re-read it and it does come across as me referring to it's a lie women are harassed which is totally false, I was just an angry idiot there who didn't check what they had written before they posted.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
To be fair, your thing you are doing with CA at the moment seems to be well liked by Holly et al, so I never took that as bad per se. Don't see a problem with that.

I'd be more concerned with your views on this bit in particular:
GamerGate has NEVER been about misogyny Not much of a "gamer" if you think GamerGate is about misogyny are you?

The debate has ALWAYS been about corruption in video gaming journalism. Nothing more. It's the constant strawmanning of these corrupt journos saying it's about hating females that is solid fact of this.
(Apparently you, back in 2014)

Which is just...
...in my work (for videogame companies), paying off journalists has never been an option that was considered viable.
You know who WAS considered a good option for "PR Moves"? Youtubers. That's why youtubers are called influencers now, and why Bethesda withheld games from journalists, but gave them to youtubers a month before release. It weren't videogame journalists that did the CS:GO gamble sites either.

Sure, that statement was 2014, but even then it was extremely hard to miss what was going on, or what GG was about.

And I still feel that the journalist bashing going on among youtubers is oddly self serving. "let's try to attack the competition so people watch us more".

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about a good 20 ex-contributors in the private skype chat we have, which has been running for a good eight nine years, it started off where we can privately chat outside of the management's sight, air our grievances Etc.

As for my beliefs, I certainly do believe there's corruption still, but I mainly report it on a historical aspect, check out my Driv3rGate video on a scandal that Future and Atari buried about 12 years ago.
But I did phrase it incorrectly, Of course there's misogyny and harassment, I've got a ton of evidence never seen before myself which I'll be showing in some future Fact Hunt episodes. I re-read it and it does come across as me referring to it's a lie women are harassed which is totally false, I was just an angry idiot there who didn't check what they had written before they posted.
But to be 100% clear here, yes or no....

do you think the Gamergate movement itself was actually about ethics in games journalism?

melvv18

Apr 15, 2018

Remaining on the site? Well what do you think would be more humiliating for them, the final member choosing to leave on their own accord? or them having to fire their final contributor as he's only there to troll? >:)

Guru Larry

Apr 14, 2018
And if he says "no", what changed his mind in the last seven months since his supportive tweet about fucking Kotaku In Action.

Well, that's a loaded question. There's nothing ethical about harassing women is there?

But the truth is the whole crusade was a total clusterfuck as it was crossed wires of two separate and totally legitimate campaigns. Just some rather despicable people tried to twist the narrative.

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
There's shitheads spreading the JewWario news with comments like: "Ah, see? Another feminist ally turns out to be a creep!" and I'm fucking furious.

There's even people using this to push a narrative about Dan Olsen. It's fucking disgusting.
To be fair, it's worrying that so many people who self describe as feminist, are almost always do problematic stuff

Is there something to do about this

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
To be fair, it's worrying that so many people who self describe as feminist, are almost always do problematic stuff

Is the commonality actually "feminist", or is the commonality something else, such as "Guy in power that has reason to believe no action will be taken"?
I know, that's not a popular thing to consider, it's always easier to blame "feminist".

In reality, when I look at people that do this kind of thing, they are coming from a broad range of political spectrums, and seem to have only one unifying trait: That one.
Meaning there is something to do about this, it'd be addressing the systems that are broken and encourage such behavior by making it near impossible to push back.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the truth is the whole crusade was a total clusterfuck as it was crossed wires of two separate and totally legitimate campaigns. Just some rather despicable people tried to twist the narrative.

No, GamerGate started as a harassment campaign. Those behind it used "ethics in video game journalism" as a way to get support because they knew certain people would be dumb enough to buy it.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not to be rude but I don't know why you're all bothering with Guru Larry. He's not some little boy. He did his own research on Gamergate and once supported it. That's all I need to know about him. This all feels like a big thread derailment to me.

As for the main topic of the thread, part of me wants Doug to release a video to clarify exactly what he thinks about this, but after that cringey "Both sides" Mad Max video and reading the document I feel that if he does it'll bury him forever at this point, which to be honest he might deserve for being so complacent about having a possible sexual predator working in his company. I know it's technically not "his" company, but he's the face of it, an owner, and he started it. He needs to own up to his mistakes.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Last time I watched a Guru Larry video was when his video game collection was ruined because his garden shed flooded. Not entirely sure when that video was but I found it quite bizarre at the time that he kept his video game collection in a garden shed.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Guru Larry has admitted to saying stupid shit in the past which he shows remorse for and you lot still give him grief. Let's not dig old tweets to try and contradict him, his work is more than evidence that he is not a true "gater" like other certain Youtubers.
I've always appreciated your work, Larry! And I wasn't pleased about your statements regarding Gamergate but I don't think you meant anything vicious, just sheer ignorance which we can all be guilty of.

I hope this shitshow is almost over because how much more worse can it get?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

There are shitty people who latch onto all kinds of different good causes to benefit from it in one way or another, predators/shitty people are unfortunately like that. "Almost always" is hyperbolic. No need to let some bad apples colour your view of movements that have millions upon millions of supporters who are genuine.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Guru Larry has admitted to saying stupid shit in the past which he shows remorse for and you lot still give him grief. Let's not dig old tweets to try and contradict him, his work is more than evidence that he is not a true "gater" like other certain Youtubers.
I've always appreciated your work, Larry! And I wasn't pleased about your statements regarding Gamergate but I don't think you meant anything vicious, just sheer ignorance which we can all be guilty of.

I hope this shitshow is almost over because how much more worse can it get?
"I've changed!" doesn't sound super believable when it's hardly been a few months since your last embrace of a hateful group, which comes years after it has been made 1000000000% clear it is a hateful group.

Rowlf

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Geez guys, is the interrogation really necessary?
This certainly doesn't seem like the right thread for it
No, it's not. If you have specific concerns or questions you would like to discuss with Larry, please take it to a PM. This thread is not the place for any discussions concerning GamerGate. All this discussion has done is derail the thread, and any further discussion will be actioned accordingly.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
I read on Rangerboard that his Facebook page now says "Worked at Channel Awesome", when before it said "Producer at Channel Awesome".
So either he jumped ship, or Channel Awesome is dissolving.

I'm pretty sure that to have your job listed as 'worked' on Facebook, you have to manually untick a box that says 'I currently work here' and provide an end date.