• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Understood. I still feel nervous about whatever's going on behind the scenes, but at least it's not as bad as it could be.

DarthAzathoth

Apr 12, 2018
Malcolm is tweeting again:

These tweets specifically are about Holly's firing. Combined with Holly's tweets posted above, and I would speculate they have their target and aren't going to let this go.

These idiots just can't help themselves can they? They are just a bunch of petty little chodes who love to go after women. Man this CA fiasco can be a case study in toxic masculinity.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Let me tell you about a little corner of the web we used to call... NeoGAF...

They aren't my graphs. I'm just taking screenshots from this site that I've mentioned a few times: https://subscribercounter.com/

ACCUSATION!

You did not refute it

Nah, that's not believable. They probably just hired the same lawyer.

It just hit me. Both CA and the White House are run in a very similar fashion.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to get worse.
I think you've said that a few times now, and it may, but i hope not. The one thread that makes me a little scared is what Jacob Chapman said, about there being other abusers, but he doesn't want to pull on that anymore than that and i completely respect that, we've already had too many victims outed. In time, when people are ready to speak out, especially if people feel emboldened with what happened here, we may hear more. For now I think things will quiet down and Doug and his ilk will try to resume business as usual, wounded and with their public image in tatters, however successful they may be.

Last edited:

DarthAzathoth

Apr 12, 2018
Someone should tell Malcolm that he should stop tweeting as he's digging himself a bigger hole and just coming off as aggressive.

I'm telling you guys, the Chicago Office is run like a cult more than as a business. They've got Malcolm commiting career suicide for them. They've gotten Brad to stick by his one friend who is actively going after all his other friends.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sigh, looks like it's too late for Malcolm and Tamara. I hope their allegiance to Channel Awesome is worth it to them, since I doubt anyone will hire them if news of how badly CA is run gets even bigger...

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm telling you guys, the Chicago Office is run like a cult more than as a business. They've got Malcolm commiting career suicide for them. They've gotten Brad to stick by his one friend who is actively going after all his other friends.
I don't really think this is true, but i do wonder if there was any pressure on Malcolm and Tamera to try to publicly defend the company. What they've said does sound a little preconceived, repeating the line facts over feelings and always telling people to read the terrible response.

TiredCupcake

Apr 12, 2018
The PR writer in me is just shaking their head at everything tbh.

Upside, it appears Tamara has decided to talk about anything other than CA, which I guess is better than the hole the rest of them keep digging

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the Walkers did get a lawyer, if only because I don't think the Walkers would have realized it's time to stfu on their own

Oct 25, 2017
The PR writer in me is just shaking their head at everything tbh.

Upside, it appears Tamara has decided to talk about anything other than CA, which I guess is better than the hole the rest of them keep digging
Yeah. Like in response to someone saying "Hey. You guys can be kind of incompetent" they've gone into a massive flaily reactionary panic and burned as many bridges as possible. Every single step is a mistake. It's like the Sideshow-Bob rake gif, which is funny because of suffering.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I dont understand why Malcolm and Tamara are even commenting on any of this at all. They weren't even around to be part of all this shit right? They have no reason to stick their nose in any of this.

DarthAzathoth

Apr 12, 2018
Yeah. Like in response to someone saying "Hey. You guys can be kind of incompetent" they've gone into a massive flaily reactionary panic and burned as many bridges as possible. Every single step is a mistake. It's like the Sideshow-Bob rake gif, which is funny because of suffering.

I actually think that based on Doug's idea of the root of comedy and our new understanding of his personality, he might be a bit of a sociopath.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand why Malcolm and Tamara are even commenting on any of this at all. They weren't even around to be part of all this shit right? They have no reason to stick their nose in any of this.
Its very silly, i get they've had good experiences with CA and if they want to stay on its their choice, but defending the past actions of CA, ones that aren't just accusations, and rather aggressively at that, and especially after the JW stuff came to light, is a terrible look for both of them, especially if things for further South and they need to or decide to go out on their own and build their own audiences. They've certainly lost whatever goodwill they had remaining with me.

Last edited:

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017

By all accounts they have a lot to lose. They had less to lose before but that initial fear has made them speak up more than was prudent. They shouldn't have said anything as it appears that they are not kept in the loop.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think that based on Doug's idea of the root of comedy and our new understanding of his personality, he might be a bit of a sociopath.
It's a great quote to poke fun at it, but I don't think it's that malicious. Like Doug's favorite comedy stuff are things like Daffy Duck, Tom and Jerry, Rat Race, Ghostbusters, Life of Brian. All of which has a lot of schadenfreud, with bad people generally having a miserable time.

DarthAzathoth

Apr 12, 2018
It's a great quote to poke fun at it, but I don't think it's that malicious. Like Doug's favorite comedy stuff are things like Daffy Duck, Tom and Jerry, Rat Race, Ghostbusters, Life of Brian. All of which has a lot of schadenfreud, with bad people generally having a miserable time.

I love some of those movies too. Nothing wrong with that. It's just that he seems obsessed with linking ALL comedy to suffering. He once called puns, "inflicting suffering on language". That in combination with his MO of presenting a friendly goofy face, while using and abusing peoples' trust in him. That is a sociopath's MO. He is not a big one. He is small time.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a bit far to accuse Doug of being a sociopath. Insensitive asshole yes, but I wouldn't play the "sociopath" card.

On another note, people have been telling me "Chris Bores was right all along" because of his insensitive comments he made in 2014 regarding JewWario's suicide (basically "I don't know him, but ending his own life means he's burning in hell")

Oct 25, 2017
I love some of those movies too. Nothing wrong with that. It's just that he seems obsessed with linking ALL comedy to suffering. He once called puns, "inflicting suffering on language". That in combination with his MO of presenting a friendly goofy face, while using and abusing peoples' trust in him. That is a sociopath's MO. He is not a big one. He is small time.
No Saddler, you're small time.

References are memory suffering.

I actually haven't had time to sit down and read the document so I don't know how much of a dick he can be. I just saw the thread was blowing up and opened it up to the news about Jew Wario.

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
I was about to say that it makes sense that the latest NC apparently has nothing related to this in it with the implication that CA is finally deciding to keep their mouths shut. I was about to say that even with how incompetent they've been in their responses - in terms of both content and timing - even they would probably understand that with all the backlash they're getting and the fact they accidentally let out information about a sexual predator they were harboring, they would surely at least see that the safest option for them would be to just ride it out and wait for the internet to stop caring (as it is unfortunately wont to do).

But those tweets from Holly are scaring me. What the shit is going on??

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say that it makes sense that the latest NC apparently has nothing related to this in it with the implication that CA is finally deciding to keep their mouths shut. I was about to say that even with how incompetent they've been in their responses - in terms of both content and timing - even they would probably understand that with all the backlash they're getting and the fact they accidentally let out information about a sexual predator they were harboring, they would surely at least see that the safest option for them would be to just ride it out and wait for the internet to stop caring (as it is unfortunately wont to do).

But those tweets from Holly are scaring me. What the shit is going on??
Probably one of the Walkers lashing out at her as their careers implode.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I can see where you're coming from with this line of reasoning, but i don't think its a label we should be suggesting and is ultimately mean spirited, despite everything.

cassis

Apr 13, 2018

Is he referring to the former producers or people who've been harassing him as "venomous, foulmouthed types"? Either way, not a great look because it's such a vague statement, people can interpret it however they like. Also kind of confirms for me that he really doesn't know what's going on or what happened at all. Not a surprise there. If that's the case, he really shouldn't be commenting at all.

swampbird

Apr 16, 2018
I've been following all of this-- at first via Twitter, then here when the original thread was linked-- since March, and was so pleasantly surprised by the community vibe that I decided to join. It's been a while since I've participated in a forum.

Like a lot of people, I started watching NC in college (this was even before the NChick contest), fell off when Demo Reel started, then started watching again when NC came back. It's funny, I was never into the fan community (fandoms for RL people can get pretty poisonous fast) or the anniversary videos (I watched part of Kickassia, but I just found them harmlessly self-indulgent and boring-- I love the ostensible "one big meet up of friends and creators" vibe you got from the crossover vids, but that was all I got out of it), but weekly viewings of Todd, Doug, Lindsay, Bennett, JO, and sometimes MikeJ or FB or Maven were a staple event with one or two of my close friends. We'd eat dinner in my car with the phone on the dash, or rewatch our favorites while studying. If I was too stressed to even commit to a full episode of The Office or Parks and Rec, my usual de-stress shows, I'd just rewatch CA content that I'd seen a dozen times already.

For me, Doug's stuff got a lot harder to watch whenever he would insert his incredibly misguided and uninformed opinion about *why people like things*. Juxtaposed with Lindsay's rising star of film crit, his videos like "ARE SEQUELS ALWAYS BAD" or whatever were just unwatchable, and I say that as someone who was so rooting for his jokes to land out of sheer nostalgia and goodwill-- I even enjoyed his Purge review. Cringe was just part of his charm, riiiiight up until he'd try to make a Statement about something. And what sucks the most about his inability or lack of desire to grow as a performer/reviewer is that when I rewatch stuff like his 20 Favorite Movies list-- when he's talking about something he loves and why HE loves it, there IS emotional intelligence and sincerity there. I watched Brazil and Amadeus and Ed Wood because of that video, and I love how passionately he'll talk about a character like Ms. Brisby.

The exact week that all of this started unraveling at CA, I had just resigned from my job-- a job I loved, that I'd held the longest, that inspired me to go back to grad school and make it into a career. I left because problems I had with the administration and lack of accountability and communication got so bad that I couldn't stand enabling the system anymore, even as the squeakiest of wheels. So this has been a bizarre, Melancholia-esque few weeks of letting go and moving on and seeing that mirrored in an online space that was a part of me-- without me really being a part of it, if that makes sense.

All I can say is "love many, trust few" has been serving me pretty well this month, as an adult in general. Having faith and drawing inspiration from people without letting yourself turn them into idols (a stealthy kind of dehumanization we're all guilty of to some degree, with someone) is a fine line to walk.

Mar 29, 2018

Do we have to bring back the conversation about whether comedy is completely based on suffering? For as much as Doug focuses on that connection, I'm really sick of people focusing on that. A lot of comedy is based on pain, and all comedy is based in alleviating a negative emotion. Is there any more we can say? Apologies if the OC hasn't read the entire thread.

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
Is he referring to the former producers or people who've been harassing him as "venomous, foulmouthed types"? Either way, not a great look because it's such a vague statement, people can interpret it however they like. Also kind of confirms for me that he really doesn't know what's going on or what happened at all. Not a surprise there. If that's the case, he really shouldn't be commenting at all.

Criminy, what's he even talking about?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

This is absolutely a terrible reply by Malcom, not only is it vague, could imply some pretty awful things, but he or CA really need to actually release a statement if hes going to keep giving bullshit none answers like this. It actually angers me a little.
The only folks who are allowed to touch Fievel Goes West are Marzgurl and Brooklyn Nine-Nine

(i know its from the first one, just an excuse to post a Community clip, its been awhile)

Last edited:

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Okay I'm personally getting tired of him talking about "The truth will become clearer with time". He or Channel Awesome need to drop receipts (And not anymore of that "FACT/ACCUSATION" bullshit) or shut up.

DarthAzathoth

Apr 12, 2018
No Saddler, you're small time.

References are memory suffering.

I actually haven't had time to sit down and read the document so I don't know how much of a dick he can be. I just saw the thread was blowing up and opened it up to the news about Jew Wario.

Look. I was just about to leave all this behind and move on, then they started tweeting again this evening with implications they are targeting Holly. Oh and on review I must concede I have begun to lump Mike, Rob and Doug into one awful gestalt asshole in my head so yeah, I may be mixing them up.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were either convinced by Mike/Doug/Rob to join Team Michaud, or they were "convinced" by Mike/Doug/Rob to join Team Michaud. I'm not sure the difference really matters.

Theoretically, I think they could have been driven away from their sensible position to join Team Michaud by idiots attacking them, but the timing of it seems suspect, since they joined right around the time Mike/Doug/Rob decided to go on the attack against their attackers.

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
This is absolutely a terrible reply by Malcom, not only is it vague, could imply some pretty awful things, but he or CA really need to actually release a statement if hes going to keep giving bullshit none answers like this. It actually angers me a little.

(i know its from the first one, just an excuse to post a Community clip, its been awhile)

As a newly arrived member here and a fan of community since it's first season, I'll say that there's usually a Community clip for nearly any occasion.