• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Apparently being stupid makes it ok to mistreat employees when you're on a position of power

Yeah, I don't get what's going on with that line of thinking at all. Doug is not innocent, he's directly involved in 99% of the things that happened here. The shitty potshots at Lindsey, especially.

MigrantOwl

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really interesting how much attention this thread is getting. I had no idea Channel Awesome was still so prevalent.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's really interesting how much attention this thread is getting. I had no idea Channel Awesome was still so prevalent.
Less so that its still so prevalent and more so that over a decade a lot of people have become familiar with their work or fans of various producers and at one point or another were invested in various aspects of it all. I stepped out years ago, though stayed up with some of the former contributors, but following all this has still been interesting, a bit shocking, and rather heartbreaking.

Last edited:

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
I think it's because a fair few of them (angry joe, dan olson, lindsay, lupa etc) have since formed their own identities and fanbases away from CA even if some were still affiliated with it. CA ended up being a common thread that brought those fanbases together as those producers all had something to say even if just "i'm leaving" on twitter.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hi. Not gonna stop by very much, signed up so I could keep track of this thread. I have some thoughts.

Re Spoony: I have a mental illness profile similar to his, although we differ a little in the exact diagnosis of our mood disorders, and I have additionally severe anxiety (which, heck, he may have too) and one of that is complex PTSD (which used to be called chronic PTSD, because it's the kind you probably won't recover from). For folks like us... well, isolation from social pressure is actually a good thing, even if we by nature are extroverts. Sometimes things get worse over time, especially if we've been in abusive environments.

I don't know how it is for Spoony exactly but I know when I tried to work with others after leaving my abusive work environment, which I'd been at for ten years, I just couldn't do it. My paranoia and mistrust of others had blossomed as I watched others get abused and myself get abused, and I could do nothing to stop it. In the end, I was unable to even work with people I'd been friends with for years who were astonishingly understanding. When I look at Spoony's history, I wonder if this happened to him shortly post-Channel Awesome, as it did for me.

After a year of trying to work with others and failing miserably, I tried to start a Patreon. Three times. But the social pressure of having to keep it going, my own paranoia of other people, and the fact that an abusive work environment negated what little therapy I was allowed to get during that time, just meant I couldn't run one of those things. It's not just the inconsistent output but just the pressure. And the paranoia. Lots of that paranoia stems for me from survival stuff that was difficult to do in the past.

So I slashed myself off from social media, off from Patreon, off from forums, and disappeared. And that's helped me heal. But it's been less than a year that I've done that. Even with someone supportive by my side, as Spoony's girlfriend is for him, it's slow going. I could not even begin to tell you when I could ever get to the point that I can socialize with folks again. I suspect it is worse for Spoony because he had a super toxic fanbase, while I had a small fanbase that consisted of people who told me, very kindly, that killing myself would be better for my health. Um, so I guess, different forms of toxicity, but I still think Spoony's was worse 'cause that probably happened to him too.

Mental illness doesn't make us dangerous. It makes us way open for abuse by others. We may melt down in horrible ways, but we sure as hell don't recover without drastic measures.

So disappearing from the internet is actually a really good thing. I know when I disappeared from the internet I was able to really dig into my newfound art journey, even though my illnesses knock me out for so many days. It's useful to not have more of my limited energy tied up in the internet. I suspect the same is true for Spoony.

I'm only here right now for two reasons. One is because Channel Awesome is something I used to like, although I stopped visiting the site some years back. And now CA is an open wound for me--not least because I've suffered not just workplace abuse, but physical/emotional/sexual abuse from my parents. My own father sexually groomed me.

And I looked up to JewWario because I spent many years fighting off suicidal feelings, which only lifted when I was 38 years old; I've been suicidal since I was in kindergarten. And now? Sigh.

So. You know. Don't blame me if I strongly strongly dislike him now, even though he is dead. Or you could blame me... yeah, see, that's why I'm not on the internet. I just don't trust people to not fuck me over for saying stuff like that. I've had people "both sides" me about my father's sexual grooming among other things. So like, none of what's going on on Twitter surprises me, not even Malcolm's weird turn. It's a thing that happens. People are people.

The other reason is because I have some perspective on the JewWario stuff that may help others? I posted it elsewhere on YouTube as a comment but all JewWario-related videos, whether done now or even fucking ten years ago, got such poisonous comments that they are now comment-less.

Anyways here is thing I wrote. Hopefully it helps. I have this horrible thing where I have been abused by so many people that abuse just doesn't surprise me, I expect it, but at the same time I care so much about other people that I want to help. anyways

Hey, so, perhaps I'm telling folks something you already know. But I am older (gods, nearly 40 soon) and if life has taught me anything, it's that even people who do awful things contain multitudes. Some people contain only facets of terrible things, but some contain facets that were not terrible, and in isolation even good. But those facets are not in isolation.

I say this after a very long time of thinking about the various people who abused me throughout my life. I never knew a life without some form of severe, controlling abuse until I was past 35. I've had starvation, physical torture, emotional abuse and blackmail from my mother, stalking, attempted murders, sexual harassment from superiors in college , abuse from managers throughout almost my entire career as a software developer, and what I'm slowly coming to realize was child grooming from my own father.

It's not that I forgive my abusers. It's not that I forget what they did. It's not that I forget that they had horrible aspects to them, and in some cases were all horrible aspects. It's not that I think I can separate their good parts from their bad parts; they were whole human beings, and it's complex.

But we have to remember that everything is complex. It's perfectly OK to both mourn a friend who died, even as we acknowledge and support the people he abused, even as we condemn what he did, even as we remember the good he might have done for us as well as remembering that it served as partly a smokescreen for his actions. It's hard to accept what Justin's done. But I think we do a disservice to ourselves, to his victims, and even to Justin himself if we do not accept every part of him as being real, including the dark parts that reached out and ruined the lives of others.

And it's okay to feel conflicted, and okay for this sort of processing to take years. I myself took nearly 40 years to remember that the father who in turns strangled me, groomed me, physically tortured me, and brainwashed me could also sing songs of home in an earnest and beautiful voice, and for that not to hurt or feel like a betrayal to myself because of all the horrible things he did to me.

It's not forgiveness. It's not forgetting. It's making a space for myself in the grief and horror and other complicated feelings, and to move as best I can into the future. And to leave him behind---the good as well as the bad. He can't play a part in how I develop as a person anymore.

And that's what I'm going to do with regards to Justin as well.

We can only move forwards, and leave behind those who betrayed our principles and even ourselves.
Sorry for super-long post.

For right now, I'm riding out this CA wave until the end. I need closure, even if that closure is just a final trend of CA shutting up for a few weeks. And then I'll be back to being off the internet. Even now I use browers and app blockers to limit my exposure to this for a few hours a day at most.

Note: I do sometimes update my little art blog, which is the only thing I really attach myself to anymore. It keeps people from worrying too much.

I hope to stay quiet and just observe. Can't promise that, because with the internet, that's just a doomed promise for us all. :)
Really lovely post sinopiasaur, thank you for sharing your thoughts and welcome to our community.
I think it's because a fair few of them (angry joe, dan olson, lindsay, lupa etc) have since formed their own identities and fanbases away from CA even if some were still affiliated with it. CA ended up being a common thread that brought those fanbases together as those producers all had something to say even if just "i'm leaving" on twitter.
This is very true too.

Perrydotto

Apr 1, 2018
Sinopiasaur, thank you for sharing your story. I'm just some goober on the internet but I really am rooting for you that you can keep on a healthy path, you deserve it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Doug's silence is deafening. Let's compare to a relatively minor flap that happened recently at Rooster Teeth.

The have a podcast, and one of the sponsors for the show was Hims, a men's health company who deal in a variety of products, from hair loss to erectile dysfunction. They advertised the erectile dysfunction med, and a small backlash occurred, with some viewers claiming it was inappropriate for a show that kids could be watching. Rooster Teeth don't shy away from vulgarity and violence at times, they have a range of shows though. Gus Sarola, one of the founders of the company who read the sponsor copy on air took the time to create a LONG blog post, explaining how sponsors are selected and approved, outlined their position thoroughly while also acknowledging people's complaints. He followed this up on another podcast they do, along with Geoff Ramsey (another founder), and both talked about their personal issues with erectile dysfunction and why they believe in the product of the sponsor.

They didn't bury their heads in the sand and let others do the passive aggressive sniping for them, they addressed that shit head on. The difference in how a professional company in the same industry has handled criticism vs Michaud and the Walkers is, well, it couldn't be a bigger gulf.

...huh. Weird to hear about another podcast doing those ads and how the audience reacted. The Giant Beastcast also did them a couple weeks ago and prompted maybe a little too much discussion here about them going too far in advertising, the site being sketchy, whether the bad association around advertising that stuff is even fair/warranted, etc.

This was followed by them joking about the ads at their PAX panel that same night, and talking about how they were into doing it because it was a little funny to do such an ad and they were ok since there were actual doctors involved. And how some of the other ads they've done are more sketchy or ridiculous, and how they felt about doing those.

Hi. Not gonna stop by very much, signed up so I could keep track of this thread. I have some thoughts.

Re Spoony: I have a mental illness profile similar to his, although we differ a little in the exact diagnosis of our mood disorders, and I have additionally severe anxiety (which, heck, he may have too) and one of that is complex PTSD (which used to be called chronic PTSD, because it's the kind you probably won't recover from). For folks like us... well, isolation from social pressure is actually a good thing, even if we by nature are extroverts. Sometimes things get worse over time, especially if we've been in abusive environments.

I don't know how it is for Spoony exactly but I know when I tried to work with others after leaving my abusive work environment, which I'd been at for ten years, I just couldn't do it. My paranoia and mistrust of others had blossomed as I watched others get abused and myself get abused, and I could do nothing to stop it. In the end, I was unable to even work with people I'd been friends with for years who were astonishingly understanding. When I look at Spoony's history, I wonder if this happened to him shortly post-Channel Awesome, as it did for me.

After a year of trying to work with others and failing miserably, I tried to start a Patreon. Three times. But the social pressure of having to keep it going, my own paranoia of other people, and the fact that an abusive work environment negated what little therapy I was allowed to get during that time, just meant I couldn't run one of those things. It's not just the inconsistent output but just the pressure. And the paranoia. Lots of that paranoia stems for me from survival stuff that was difficult to do in the past.

So I slashed myself off from social media, off from Patreon, off from forums, and disappeared. And that's helped me heal. But it's been less than a year that I've done that. Even with someone supportive by my side, as Spoony's girlfriend is for him, it's slow going. I could not even begin to tell you when I could ever get to the point that I can socialize with folks again. I suspect it is worse for Spoony because he had a super toxic fanbase, while I had a small fanbase that consisted of people who told me, very kindly, that killing myself would be better for my health. Um, so I guess, different forms of toxicity, but I still think Spoony's was worse 'cause that probably happened to him too.

Mental illness doesn't make us dangerous. It makes us way open for abuse by others. We may melt down in horrible ways, but we sure as hell don't recover without drastic measures.

So disappearing from the internet is actually a really good thing. I know when I disappeared from the internet I was able to really dig into my newfound art journey, even though my illnesses knock me out for so many days. It's useful to not have more of my limited energy tied up in the internet. I suspect the same is true for Spoony.

I'm only here right now for two reasons. One is because Channel Awesome is something I used to like, although I stopped visiting the site some years back. And now CA is an open wound for me--not least because I've suffered not just workplace abuse, but physical/emotional/sexual abuse from my parents. My own father sexually groomed me.

And I looked up to JewWario because I spent many years fighting off suicidal feelings, which only lifted when I was 38 years old; I've been suicidal since I was in kindergarten. And now? Sigh.

So. You know. Don't blame me if I strongly strongly dislike him now, even though he is dead. Or you could blame me... yeah, see, that's why I'm not on the internet. I just don't trust people to not fuck me over for saying stuff like that. I've had people "both sides" me about my father's sexual grooming among other things. So like, none of what's going on on Twitter surprises me, not even Malcolm's weird turn. It's a thing that happens. People are people.

The other reason is because I have some perspective on the JewWario stuff that may help others? I posted it elsewhere on YouTube as a comment but all JewWario-related videos, whether done now or even fucking ten years ago, got such poisonous comments that they are now comment-less.

Anyways here is thing I wrote. Hopefully it helps. I have this horrible thing where I have been abused by so many people that abuse just doesn't surprise me, I expect it, but at the same time I care so much about other people that I want to help. anyways

Hey, so, perhaps I'm telling folks something you already know. But I am older (gods, nearly 40 soon) and if life has taught me anything, it's that even people who do awful things contain multitudes. Some people contain only facets of terrible things, but some contain facets that were not terrible, and in isolation even good. But those facets are not in isolation.

I say this after a very long time of thinking about the various people who abused me throughout my life. I never knew a life without some form of severe, controlling abuse until I was past 35. I've had starvation, physical torture, emotional abuse and blackmail from my mother, stalking, attempted murders, sexual harassment from superiors in college , abuse from managers throughout almost my entire career as a software developer, and what I'm slowly coming to realize was child grooming from my own father.

It's not that I forgive my abusers. It's not that I forget what they did. It's not that I forget that they had horrible aspects to them, and in some cases were all horrible aspects. It's not that I think I can separate their good parts from their bad parts; they were whole human beings, and it's complex.

But we have to remember that everything is complex. It's perfectly OK to both mourn a friend who died, even as we acknowledge and support the people he abused, even as we condemn what he did, even as we remember the good he might have done for us as well as remembering that it served as partly a smokescreen for his actions. It's hard to accept what Justin's done. But I think we do a disservice to ourselves, to his victims, and even to Justin himself if we do not accept every part of him as being real, including the dark parts that reached out and ruined the lives of others.

And it's okay to feel conflicted, and okay for this sort of processing to take years. I myself took nearly 40 years to remember that the father who in turns strangled me, groomed me, physically tortured me, and brainwashed me could also sing songs of home in an earnest and beautiful voice, and for that not to hurt or feel like a betrayal to myself because of all the horrible things he did to me.

It's not forgiveness. It's not forgetting. It's making a space for myself in the grief and horror and other complicated feelings, and to move as best I can into the future. And to leave him behind---the good as well as the bad. He can't play a part in how I develop as a person anymore.

And that's what I'm going to do with regards to Justin as well.

We can only move forwards, and leave behind those who betrayed our principles and even ourselves.
Sorry for super-long post.

For right now, I'm riding out this CA wave until the end. I need closure, even if that closure is just a final trend of CA shutting up for a few weeks. And then I'll be back to being off the internet. Even now I use browers and app blockers to limit my exposure to this for a few hours a day at most.

Note: I do sometimes update my little art blog, which is the only thing I really attach myself to anymore. It keeps people from worrying too much.

I hope to stay quiet and just observe. Can't promise that, because with the internet, that's just a doomed promise for us all. :)

Don't really have anything to add, but I wanted to say that I appreciated your perspective on this.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did Malcolm and Tamara do that is so terrible?
Basically calling the accusations lies, standing 100% with CA and, in the case of Malcolm, continuing to paint himself and CA as warriors of truth fighting against the hordes of liars and foulmouthed accusers. All the tweets have been linked here and are accessible via their Twitter. It's bad.

And in the case of Tamara, she was internet-friends with Lindsay before all of this blew up, with Lindsay defending Tamara, asking idiots not to harass innocent people like Malcolm and Tamara.

But then when CA decided to attack the accusers (which Lindsay apparently warned Rob was a bad idea), right around the time that Malcolm switched from being the only sane person at CA to put out a good statement to the guy suggesting that the accusers are liars and that the truth is somewhere in CA's terrible response or maybe their next one, right around that time, Tamara unfriended Lindsay.

Mike/Doug/Rob either convinced Tamara that she couldn't be Lindsay's friend anymore, or they "convinced" Tamara that she couldn't be Lindsay's friend anymore. Either way, she's no longer an innocent victim caught in the middle, she's thrown her lot in with Mike Michaud.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ive been looking into this and it doesnt really seem like thats the case either unless he has two facebooks under the same name? can someone give me more insight into this?

fs0pfnhpj7s01.png

people are using this as evidence but this facebook profile with that picture doesn't seem to exist unless people can point me to it
Is this true? Has he really not said anything at all at this point? They released a new NC yesterday as if everything was still normal.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Is this true? Has he really not said anything at all at this point? They released a new NC yesterday as if everything was still normal.

Here's some insight: Like, 75% of my facebook friends have profiles that say "worked at" even though they're still employed wherever. Something about that part of Facebook makes a lot of people confused when filling it out. It's the internet grasping at straws and means nothing.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt it, i'm also not sure on how NC videos are produced (i imagine others will correct me here if i'm well off) but i'd imagine some are potentially shot a bit in advance.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody even knows if the Facebook profile picture is real, or if it's even Doug's actual profile. There's no reason to dwell on it this long, especially considering Doug is still putting out content on CA.

Let it go, folks.

Arkle

Mar 26, 2018
Rialto, CA
And in the case of Tamara, she was internet-friends with Lindsay before all of this blew up, with Lindsay defending Tamara, asking idiots not to harass innocent people like Malcolm and Tamara.

But then when CA decided to attack the accusers (which Lindsay apparently warned Rob was a bad idea), right around the time that Malcolm switched from being the only sane person at CA to put out a good statement to the guy suggesting that the accusers are liars and that the truth is somewhere in CA's terrible response or maybe their next one, right around that time, Tamara unfriended Lindsay.

Mike/Doug/Rob either convinced Tamara that she couldn't be Lindsay's friend anymore, or they "convinced" Tamara that she couldn't be Lindsay's friend anymore. Either way, she's no longer an innocent victim caught in the middle, she's thrown her lot in with Mike Michaud.

All this "Free Malcolm & Tamara" talk is all too familiar to me, being someone who is active in politics. I straight up shared the following article with people who kept brining it up.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...n-wife-married-tangerine-tyrant-a7545631.html

Ironically, the fans who do that shit are insulting the very people they say they want to support by implying that they are babies incapable of making decisions for themselves instead of grown-ass adults.

Now I'm trying to remember if I posted that link in this thread or not already.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt it, i'm also not sure on how NC videos are produced (i imagine others will correct me here if i'm well off) but i'd imagine some are potentially shot a bit in advance.
Oh Im sure they have episodes prerecorded in advance. They were obviously well organized (at least with their own videos) and must've had a buffer of episodes in case of a rainy day. I've followed them for years and I could count on one hand the amount of weeks that went by without a new NC video while the show was actively on.

So it could very well mean these past episodes were the prerecorded ones thay had already done and Michaud doesnt want to loose money by sitting on them. This is pure speculation of course.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody even knows if the Facebook profile picture is real, or if it's even Doug's actual profile. There's no reason to dwell on it this long, especially considering Doug is still putting out content on CA.

Let it go, folks.

I'm looking at the profile in question right now. Considering his friends list, I have no reason to doubt that it's Doug's personal facebook page. A lot of celebs/musicians/etc have professional FB profiles for business purposes but also personal ones since they're people with private lives too. If it's fake, the page is fooling Malcolm, Tamera, Brad, etc. 'cause they all added him at some point. And I don't see that being the case. What I do see as being the case is his profile always saying "worked at," since it's an ultra-common mistake on FB and no one's been able to show evidence that the info wasn't always displayed like that.

Dec 12, 2017
Philadelphia Area
I'm looking at the profile in question right now. Considering his friends list, I have no reason to doubt that it's Doug's personal facebook page. A lot of celebs/musicians/etc have professional FB profiles for business purposes but also personal ones since they're people with private lives too. If it's fake, the page is fooling Malcolm, Tamera, Brad, etc. 'cause they all added him at some point. And I don't see that being the case. What I do see as being the case is his profile always saying "worked at," since it's an ultra-common mistake on FB and no one's been able to show evidence that the info wasn't always displayed like that.

Thanks, I was asking just because of how frequently people were bringing it up still.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how exactly did all this start? How did this all blow up to what we have now?
Channel Awesome's been burning small bridges for ages, but it never amounted to anything before now.

Former CA people reaching critical mass on twitter: "Hey, remember that time CA did ___ to you?" "Yeah, that was shit. But what about the time they ___?" "Oh, and don't forget the time they ___ed the ___." "Oh, they did that with you too? I thought that was only me."

It finally gathered enough attention, current CA people started walking out in solidarity with their former comrades, and CA responded in pretty much the worst ways possible, every step of the way.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017

Thanks. I'm a few days behind and was also curious what exactly they said or did recently. I was really hoping they wouldn't go this route. There was a way for them to stick with their own experiences with CA without calling the accusers liars. I really hope they weren't manipulated, but ultimately it falls on them to say and do these things.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Fair. I'm just really finding the whole "Doug must've left!" thing really bizarre, because of all the people on the site, he has the least reason to bail and the least to gain from doing so. It feels like either wishful thinking, or that some people on the Internet are trying to paint Doug as a victim in all of this, which is why the image (and its associated rumors) keeps getting spread around and eventually finding its way back here.

Oct 26, 2017
At this point Malcolm and Tamaras careers are over, if they wanted to keep their credibility they should have exited days ago, I don't understand why they are staying. Are they just misinformed from the higher ups or do they just think this is all a non issue, all they've done so far is show they don't really care I guess the same goes for (the good boi) Brad, but that seems to be because he doesn't want to betray his friends he rightfully may have some issues after how many times "friends" on his show have kinda just stabbed him in the back.

I would hope that very soon these 3 will announce their departure from CA but that seem unlikely at this point.

What's this about Brad? I haven't heard of this before.

Yeah, I don't get what's going on with that line of thinking at all. Doug is not innocent, he's directly involved in 99% of the things that happened here. The shitty potshots at Lindsey, especially.

Yeah... Doug not only has a huge ego but it's super fragile. He devolves into pettiness when he feels threatened. He surrounds himself with people who never challenge him so it's no wonder his work has never grown in all these years.

zainmosni

Apr 17, 2018
Regarding Brad, his earlier friend Jerrid was fired because he was just an asshole to him and his wife but was apparently brought back last year after they made up I guess. And his other "friends" Jake and Rayn (Brads at the time gf) were having an affair got caught and claimed it was because they wanted some sort of 3 way relationship, basically the two of them were using Brad. Also Brads ex wife and some other women he was dating a year ago used to be on the shows frequently but once those relationships ended they ceased to appear afterwords but from what I understand there were no hard feeling with that.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Bennett the Sage uploaded a video and the background is a bit different
No surprise there. I was actually wondering what he was gonna do for his next video that he's currently making, if he's gonna rerecord stuff (it's gonna be a top 10 episode of some sort to celebrate 199 episodes). Glad to see what side he's on, especially since he was so nice to me when I tweeted to him that his weight loss video was what inspired me to start dieting again & seems like an overall good person.

Hell, there's over 100+ episodes that have that hat in the background, so I don't know what he plans on doing for all those episodes. I actually looked & back in like, episode 80ish, he had the bit at the end where puts the hat on the shelf & in a few episodes before that, had a "dedicated to..." at the end. So that's almost 120 episodes where he'd have to go back & figure out what to do.

Arkle

Mar 26, 2018
Rialto, CA
Regarding Brad, his earlier friend Jerrid was fired because he was just an asshole to him and his wife but was apparently brought back last year after they made up I guess. And his other "friends" Jake and Rayn (Brads at the time gf) were having an affair got caught and claimed it was because they wanted some sort of 3 way relationship, basically the two of them were using Brad. Also Brads ex wife and some other women he was dating a year ago used to be on the shows frequently but once those relationships ended they ceased to appear afterwords but from what I understand there were no hard feeling with that.

Jillian (the ex) did keep popping up in the videos for awhile even after the divorce, and she still does voicework for Lloyd, but for whatever reason she just has no interest in being on-camera anymore. Honestly, Brad and Jillian seem to get along better than some still-married couples I've known.

Edit: At least, this is my understanding of the situation based on comments Brad's made in past videos and on Tumblr. I am not privvy to any inside information. I apologize if my phrasing made it seem like I did. That's my fault.

cassis

Apr 13, 2018
Bennett the Sage uploaded a video and the background is a bit different

I didn't know that Doug and Rob were contributors (edit: to the book Anime Impact). It was my impression that Doug specifically wasn't really into anime, though correct me if I'm wrong. I honestly haven't followed CA since before they were even called that.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
From the way Doug treated Lindsay I'm not really looking to give him any benefit of the doubt but I'm just some guy so whatever. Everyone still there can go down with the ship if they want.

Why are we suddenly acting like Doug is a victim? He's a 100% complicit in this shit.
Thank you. I take a day away from this mess and come back to a sudden wave of flailing to find and out for Doug. It was bizarre.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Wow Malcolm, put down the Kool-Aid for a sec and stop making vague assertions towards "the truth".

Does anyone think they've backed down in terms of responses?

Also, a reminder that Doug is complicit in this and his incompetence and perceived (by many) lack of talent are non-insignificant factors in how CA ended up in the situation they are in now.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that Doug and Rob were contributors (edit: to the book Anime Impact). It was my impression that Doug specifically wasn't really into anime, though correct me if I'm wrong. I honestly haven't followed CA since before they were even called that.
Oh, right, I forgot they contributed to the book. I know Rob seems to be into anime (he actually referenced Doki Doki Literature Club in a video). I know Doug has seen the Miyazaki movies (he LOVES Spirited Away) & a few stuff like Cowboy Bebop & Wolf's Rain.

I was tempted to get the book eventually, but now....I don't know.....but I guess it wouldn't be fair to the other people who contributed to the book if I skipped it because of one or two people.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I think Doug has an appreciation for anime, but not a huge fan. It's either at Doug's house or Rob's that one of the rooms they use to record Real Thoughts/Siblilng Rivalry has the complete Trigun manga series.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Channel Awesome's been burning small bridges for ages, but it never amounted to anything before now.

Former CA people reaching critical mass on twitter: "Hey, remember that time CA did ___ to you?" "Yeah, that was shit. But what about the time they ___?" "Oh, and don't forget the time they ___ed the ___." "Oh, they did that with you too? I thought that was only me."

It finally gathered enough attention, current CA people started walking out in solidarity with their former comrades, and CA responded in pretty much the worst ways possible, every step of the way.
To be more precise, it started it this:

Allison was basically fed up with people talking to her about Doug and Channel Awesome even though she wasn't with them anymore for a while (and as if they were still friends), so she responded and that led to the other producers start talking about their bad experiences with CA.

Oct 25, 2017
So, I mentioned this late last night, and I've poked around and couldn't find an answer to one of my question so I'll ask it here.

The timing of finally copywriting Nostalgia Critic and Channel Awesome (8 years after they incorporated as a company) happened right when they were getting hit with the youtube takedown stuff and the launch of the "Where's the fair use" campaign. Is there any reason why this would be the case? Does it help them in resolving issues through youtube's process? Does it better indemnify them in the case of lawsuits? Or, do you just think the timing was a coincidence?

Also, no charts now, but they're still down another 1100 for the day so far. No real news/movement anywhere so far anywhere else.

Malcolm still saying "just wait":

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
So, I mentioned this late last night, and I've poked around and couldn't find an answer to one of my question so I'll ask it here.

The timing of finally copywriting Nostalgia Critic and Channel Awesome (8 years after they incorporated as a company) happened right when they were getting hit with the youtube takedown stuff and the launch of the "Where's the fair use" campaign. Is there any reason why this would be the case? Does it help them in resolving issues through youtube's process? Does it better indemnify them in the case of lawsuits? Or, do you just think the timing was a coincidence?

Also, no charts now, but they're still down another 1100 for the day so far. No real news/movement anywhere so far anywhere else.

Malcolm still saying "just wait":

Dude is teasing this harder than an E3 announcement.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You think Doug was dumb enough to sign a Non-Compete Clause when he signed over the rights to his own character and likeness? It might be one reason why he doesn't just jump ship and start fresh.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
You think Doug was dumb enough to sign a Non-Compete Clause when he signed over the rights to his own character and likeness? It might be one reason why he doesn't just jump ship and start fresh.
If Channel Awesome collapsed (Which it undoubtedly would if Doug left, they'd have no 'product' left) and the company was shut down then I doubt the clause would be valid any longer.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I think it's more likely that he's not jumping ship because he believes he, his brother, and his friend are right. Everything we've come to understand points to that being the case since he's been complicit in all this for years.

Apr 4, 2018
United States
Jillian (the ex) did keep popping up in the videos for awhile even after the divorce, and she still does voicework for Lloyd, but for whatever reason she just has no interest in being on-camera anymore. Honestly, Brad and Jillian seem to get along better than some still-married couples I've known.

Edit: At least, this is my understanding of the situation based on comments Brad's made in past videos and on Tumblr. I am not privvy to any inside information. I apologize if my phrasing made it seem like I did. That's my fault.
Yeah, Jillian appeared in videos with Brad for quite a bit. Rayn and Violet haven't been seen at all since their break ups with Brad (which makes sense given what Rayn did, and if I understand it correctly, Violet lives in Detroit). Somewhere in that time Brad tried taking his own life, and the whole world was pretty shit for him for a while (the vlog of him discussing it, as well as his depression are inaccessible now). But, then he met Laura, and now everything seems to be A-Okay. At least as far as I know.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, he did lose a ton of weight. Respect.

If Doug doesn't have the rights to the Nostalgia Critic, can't he just do the exact same thing he's been doing and say "fair use" if people say otherwise? Parody clause?
Then Stephen Colbert couldn't use his character from the Comedy Central show so I'm not sure Doug could.
I'm not sure he's planning on leaving anyways

cassis

Apr 13, 2018
I think Doug has an appreciation for anime, but not a huge fan. It's either at Doug's house or Rob's that one of the rooms they use to record Real Thoughts/Siblilng Rivalry has the complete Trigun manga series.

Oh, right, I forgot they contributed to the book. I know Rob seems to be into anime (he actually referenced Doki Doki Literature Club in a video). I know Doug has seen the Miyazaki movies (he LOVES Spirited Away) & a few stuff like Cowboy Bebop & Wolf's Rain.

I was tempted to get the book eventually, but now....I don't know.....but I guess it wouldn't be fair to the other people who contributed to the book if I skipped it because of one or two people.
Thanks, I wasn't aware. Also makes sense they became contributors because of their ties with Chris Stuckmann. Sounds like there were a lot of contributors but Chris is still the primary author. The topic is pretty fascinating, if you were interested initially, you should go for it.