• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
calc84maniac

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, sorry, I meant true ending with final chapter.

I am glad that it is PQube who did this, because this way we got a retail release. With NISA ending retail support for Vita, I wouldn't be so happy, even though it certainly is annoying that this one map was untranslated. I saw no other way than to look up the map on the internet.
The map especially is sure to be addressed in the upcoming patch, but it's kind of sad from a physical preservation standpoint.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Had to put this aside for a bit for Mario Odyssey but I love this game. The delusion mechanic is a lot of fun.

I couldn't get into Steins; Gate because the beginning was so slow. This caught my interest immediately.

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the Chaos;Head translation: Which system are you working on? Personally, I would hope for a PSP version, because PSP is the easiest crackable and also is portable.

They're doing PC, I think? The PSP/Vita versions are apparently impossible to work with due to their engine.

They're basing it off the Xbox version, but they're rebuilding the engine from the ground. It's so absurdedly intricate and buggy to port that it's even easier to just rebuild the engine. They're porting it to PC, but I don't know if they plan on releasing a patch for any console version.

The other engine, rUGP, is simply impossible to work with from the perspective of someone who doesn't have access to the actual engine.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys ever played any PQube game? I'm obsessed with them ever since they started to bring niche titles, but every single review I write for a game of theirs, I have to make a note or even lower the score because of issues such as the ones I mentioned.

Kanjiology

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
I bought this with the $15 gift certificate after buying Mario Odyssey at Best Buy, so I got it for $32 with GCU on PS4.

Now that I beat Mario Odyssey I'll be getting to this one next. Great OT.

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
How does this compare to S;G in quality? The art style puts me off somewhat, but that has never been a problem if the plot is good.

Oct 26, 2017
PQube? What the f***.
That's not really PQube's fault, they're only the publishers. Everything is handled by the in-house team of MAGES. The translator even talked about the translation of the NicoNiya comments and other stuff that isn't in the game right now, so my guess is that they ran out of time and had to publish it with whatever they could put in.

The problems with the localization of Steins;Gate 0 also happened because they were short in time, so it wouldn't be anything new either. All we can do now is hope that the patch is released soon.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really PQube's fault, they're only the publishers. Everything is handled by the in-house team of MAGES. The translator even talked about the translation of the NicoNiya comments and other stuff that isn't in the game right now, so my guess is that they ran out of time and had to publish it with whatever they could put in.

The problems with the localization of Steins;Gate 0 also happened because they were short in time, so it wouldn't be anything new either. All we can do now is hope that the patch is released soon.

There's no way you can excuse a publisher completely of anything that goes wrong in a game. It's not only PQube's fault in this case, but since I've seen the same thing happen with PQube games from other developers and you can't blame the developers when the only common link is the publisher.

Oct 26, 2017
There's no way you can excuse a publisher completely of anything that goes wrong in a game. It's not only PQube's fault in this case, but since I've seen the same thing happen with PQube games from other developers and you can't blame the developers when the only common link is the publisher.
Having personally talked with the translator, it really feels like it's just a problem of MAGES. with S;G 0 and C;C. I don't know about other games published by PQube, but at least in this case it really seems like it's out of their control. (I want to remark the "seems", he hasn't said anything bad about them at any point in time, but that's what the situation seemed to be).

5pb. and MAGES. are known for taking absolutely horrible decisions all the time anyway, and there are barely any Japanese companies willing to work with them partially because of this too, so I wouldn't discard that it's just MAGES. messing up everything once again.

Then again, I'm not the translator, and even if I knew what actually went wrong I probably wouldn't be able to talk about it, this is all just what I think that seems like the most probable cause. I'm not saying PQube isn't at fault 100% for sure either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
calc84maniac

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I promised to post my final impressions here, but I've been putting it off because it's all still sinking in.

I have to say that this is my new favorite visual novel. Now, I know people love comparing things to Steins;Gate because it's something a lot of people have experienced that's super high-quality. But, I'm going to get that out of the way first. They're very different types of stories, and they definitely have different strengths and weaknesses. But as an overall experience, Chaos;Child wins out for me. (And there's no question in my mind that it's significantly better than Steins;Gate 0, despite what the wrong-siders on Metacritic say.)

The common route is very well executed; despite its length it always feels like the either the plot is moving or the characters are significantly developing. The main exception is that the delusions are pretty much filler in most cases, but they're fun to experience in their own way (especially the negative ones). It feels like they just lifted the delusion mechanic from Chaos;Head without putting much effort into tying the delusions into the plot; however, they do provide more insight into the protagonist and their existence does have a purpose. Regardless, I found the common route an amazing ride from start to finish, especially piecing together the mystery and dealing with the consequences.

It slows down a bit after the common route, but each of the character routes tells its own story, and each one develops the game's major themes and characters, while having some nice twists of their own and introducing elements used in the true ending. Unlike some visual novels (I promised not to mention that one from earlier), they didn't feel so much like romantic options as much as exploring characters for whom these developments might have felt out-of-place in the common route. I'm still putting together my thoughts on the nature of the routes themselves, but that's a discussion for another time.

As for the true ending, I'm obviously not going to go that deeply into discussing it because of spoilers, but I'll just say that it still managed to surprise me after everything else, and its execution is just brilliant. I really wasn't expecting to feel as much for the characters as I did in the end, and I have to admit my eyes were sweating a few times. (That means crying, don't make me say it)

TL;DR, Chaos;Child is great. Probably my GOTY (though I admit my tastes are biased toward VNs and this series in particular).

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
How long does it take from clearing the first ending to clearing every other ending?

ChairMan

Oct 25, 2017
TL;DR, Chaos;Child is great. Probably my GOTY (though I admit my tastes are biased toward VNs and this series in particular).
I honestly agree with quite a lot of this. The delusion trigger criticism in particular. Almost all felt more like asides or filler than anything else, and while I did enjoy most of them, they never really contributed or were used in a meaningful way. Maybe it was just overexpectations from their usage in Chaos;Head.

Still though, it was an amazing ride from start to finish, all the twists and turns included. Several days later, I'm still reeling over the entire thing and already starting to replay it.

OP
OP
calc84maniac

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
The game does, actually, record playtime. Look up your save data on PS4/Vita, it'll have an hour/minute count.
You mean the individual save files in-game, or something at the OS level? Because I don't think that's available at the OS level at least on Vita, and the time on the individual save files is time of day.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
You mean the individual save files in-game, or something at the OS level? Because I don't think that's available at the OS level at least on Vita, and the time on the individual save files is time of day.

It's in the system save file, you tap the info button off to the side of the file in content manager to see it.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like you can't check on Vita! You can on most Vita games, and you can on PS4, but Chaos;Child seems to be a little different. My bad!

Last edited:

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So for my first playthrough, do delusions matter at all? I don't know if triggering some +/- ones will lock me into a route that I don't want. I also hesitated on the 1st on because I didn't know if I should lock it in that moment so I went through it without doing anything, does that affect the ending?

Liking the game so far. I thought from the first impression of MC that he would be insufferable but that veil is lifted pretty quickly. I feel kinda bad for him. His 'normalcy' seems more like a shield than anything else.

OP
OP
calc84maniac

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
So for my first playthrough, do delusions matter at all? I don't know if triggering some +/- ones will lock me into a route that I don't want. I also hesitated on the 1st on because I didn't know if I should lock it in that moment so I went through it without doing anything, does that affect the ending?
Delusions don't matter for the first playthrough, but they do on subsequent playthroughs. You can use the guide in the OP after you've finished the first ending.

OP
OP
calc84maniac

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this can't unsee now.
Necks in VN character design tend to be tall for some reason. Maybe it's in more anime-style designs as well but I mostly notice it in VNs. For a while I haven't been able to unsee how huke likes to hide the neck length using unnaturally tall shirt collars:
zzJED.png

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys ever played any PQube game? I'm obsessed with them ever since they started to bring niche titles, but every single review I write for a game of theirs, I have to make a note or even lower the score because of issues such as the ones I mentioned.

Yes, what happened with the localization is shitty. However, they are working on fixing said issues. If NISA were the ones localizing the game, not only would the translation be far worse they'd also never bother fixing it.

Hopefully the patch addresses all the issues with the localization.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Got both a PS4 and Vita version. One for reading, and the other to skip through for a second platinum because I'm a trophy maniac. :p

Probably read the Vita version since you can bring the Vita anywhere and toggle it on/off with just the press of a button.

Huge fan of both Chaos;Head (read on PC) and Steins;Gate so I hope this one doesn't disappoint either!

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Delusions don't matter for the first playthrough, but they do on subsequent playthroughs. You can use the guide in the OP after you've finished the first ending.
Thanks!
Should I play Steins;Gate Zero before this or it won't spoil me ?
Nope. This is a sequel to Chaos;Head. You can go into this without playing C;H, especially since there is no English localization and patch is apparently not that good.

Steins;Gate Zero is a sequel to Steins;Gate. All these games plus Robotics;Head are under the umbrella ScienceAdventure games so they share the same universe.

Like I said though you can go into this as a newbie, like me.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Necks in VN character design tend to be tall for some reason. Maybe it's in more anime-style designs as well but I mostly notice it in VNs. For a while I haven't been able to unsee how huke likes to hide the neck length using unnaturally tall shirt collars:
zzJED.png
Wow I never noticed this it all, ignorance was bliss.

Oct 27, 2017
Almost done with the common route. I was not expecting what I got, and am looking forward to getting hit in the face with another two or three curveballs before I'm done here. Welp.

Yes, what happened with the localization is shitty. However, they are working on fixing said issues. If NISA were the ones localizing the game, not only would the translation be far worse they'd also never bother fixing it.

Hopefully the patch addresses all the issues with the localization.

The vast majority of the unfortunately frequent loc issues that show up in this one are thankfully typos (oh my god the typos) and relatively minor context parsing issues regarding gender or phrases that have multiple meanings in different situations. The kind of stuff that should've been caught in proofreading and editing. My speculation given the sheer volume of basic typos and accidentally-the-wrong-word errors is that it's likely that QC basically wasn't done on the build we got beyond "does it crash?" or was at least severely rushed. I'm willing to bet there was quite a scramble to get it done for a deadline, and honestly while that certainly isn't something I want out of my VN localizations, it says a lot about the talent of the team working on it that it reads as well as it does if they were under the time constraints that the various issues indicate.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the incoming patch is work that was actually almost done or entirely done in time for release and just wasn't able to make it into the build before the deadline. If it's only one more editing pass, I doubt it'll fix all the issues, but I'm thankful at least that the problems present were easy enough to gloss over due to their relatively straightforward nature.

Suppose we'll probably never know, though. Niche VNs aren't exactly the kind of thing you get postmortems about this stuff for.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm planning to play this as soon as I am able to find a gap between all these game releases... It's not easy, though!

The thing I'm wondering is... as far as I know, it seems to be perfectly OK to play this without having read the original Chaos;Head, but... if I read first Chaos;Child, will I be able to fully enjoy C;H Noah?

I imagine that the stories are stand alone enough to be read separated, but how far goes C;C making references to C;H? How worried should I be of having the true ending spoiled? Or any character death?

I'm pretty hyped for C;C, but maybe I could try to wait till Noah es fully translated. Maybe.

OP
OP
calc84maniac

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning to play this as soon as I am able to find a gap between all these game releases... It's not easy, though!

The thing I'm wondering is... as far as I know, it seems to be perfectly OK to play this without having read the original Chaos;Head, but... if I read first Chaos;Child, will I be able to fully enjoy C;H Noah?

I imagine that the stories are stand alone enough to be read separated, but how far goes C;C making references to C;H? How worried should I be of having the true ending spoiled? Or any character death?

I'm pretty hyped for C;C, but maybe I could try to wait till Noah es fully translated. Maybe.
Certain events from Chaos;Head are mentioned heavily, but the type that appeared on the news and don't usually involve previous characters. The vast majority of what happened 6 years ago is left a mystery, especially the "who", "why", and "how". The major twists of Chaos;Head (especially Noah, which I haven't played yet either) aren't really referenced at all.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
One "who" is discussed in the Hana chapter. Though it is quite superficial. I would certainly still buy and play a Chaos;Head release.

Shizuka: Isn't this translation incomplete / only translating the main route?

Oct 26, 2017
Shizuka: Isn't this translation incomplete / only translating the main route?
It's not that the translation is incomplete, but that it translates the incomplete version of the game. A PC version of Chaos;Head was released before NoAH and it only had Common Route.

NoAH is the full version of the game, and having read it, it's clear that it was in development/planned since the start, because everything is fixed perfectly and it doesn't feel like the usual remake trying to patch the holes in the original game, which means they probably had to release the incomplete PC version of Chaos;Head to gather funds or see the interest people had in the game.

OP
OP
calc84maniac

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that the translation is incomplete, but that it translates the incomplete version of the game.
Well, I'd consider the translation a bit incomplete anyway because it's missing TIPS translations. Plus it's obvious it could have used more editing, but the project was dropped as soon as Nitro+ partnered with JAST USA (which unfortunately never did lead to anything official).

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Certain events from Chaos;Head are mentioned heavily, but the type that appeared on the news and don't usually involve previous characters. The vast majority of what happened 6 years ago is left a mystery, especially the "who", "why", and "how". The major twists of Chaos;Head (especially Noah, which I haven't played yet either) aren't really referenced at all.
One "who" is discussed in the Hana chapter. Though it is quite superficial. I would certainly still buy and play a Chaos;Head release.

...Well, I think I can live with that and play directly C;C. Thanks for the info!

Oct 26, 2017
The Chaos;Child patch is out, and it's almost 550MB. Patch notes:

PCSE01022:
v01.01
Untranslated text fixes. Movie fixes.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Was gonna wait a bit but since the patch is already out, I figured what the hell.

Pretty excited to check it out, in fact. Nice to also so many bright red UI elements, which is literally the worst static color you could display on the OLED TV I've got haha, so hopefully I won't end up suffering from burn-in. Dropped the OLED Light setting to 0 just in case.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
1.00 here too, EU PS4. Maybe we'll get it tomorrow or something. Hope so. Noticed the first typo after 15 minutes and had to check.

Hell of a start, btw.

Last edited: