• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Revealed onstage at GDC 2019 during "State of Unreal," Chaos is Unreal Engine's new high-performance physics and destruction system coming in early access to Unreal Engine 4.23. The real-time tech demo is set within the world of Robo Recall. With Chaos, users can achieve cinematic-quality visuals in real time in scenes with massive-scale levels of destruction, with unprecedented artist control over content creation.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I said last week I hope next gens focus is physics and AI and this video is a perfect example of why I think it's more important than pure graphical fidelity at this point.

Focus on physics and AI next gen and then the gen after push the graphics bar again when massive improvements can be made in fidelity.

Looks incredible.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Looks great but nobody will use the tech because they'd rather spend the processing power on something better.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing stuff here, i think most developers should bet more on improving their physics engine and this is an excelent starting point!

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this is what they bought the people who were working on Crackdown to do (Cloudgine?). Reminds me a lot of it.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Getting some serious 'Robo Recall' vibes here.

Looks cool, can't wait for more proper destruction in games. Was cool replaying the Red Faction remaster last year, even if its a bit primitive comparatively.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Looks great but nobody will use the tech because they'd rather spend the processing power on something better.

What do you think would be better at this point?

True photorealism, especially at high resolutions is still some distance away, what could they use the power to improve that's better than physics and AI?

I am all for better graphics by the way I just think that graphics, right now, are at an acceptable level, acceptable enough to take a back seat for one gen and allow physics and AI to be the primary focus.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i am expecting this kind of destructible environments in next gen games like Spiderman 2.

Are we going to get something like this or is it just going to be static buildings?

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I said last week I hope next gens focus is physics and AI and this video is a perfect example of why I think it's more important than pure graphical fidelity at this point.

Focus on physics and AI next gen and then the gen after push the graphics bar again when massive improvements can be made in fidelity.

Looks incredible.

For devs that care next gen cpu wise will easily be the best in ages. I can't think of another time the industry was using decently solid cpus as a basis for consoles.

It won't matters for devs that don't care about this issue for that that do or want too, the power, scope, and dyanmics will literally be a game changer in big or small games. Lightning and physics next gen to me will be at levels I didn't practically expect at this point in my life.

Amazing stuff here, i think most developers should bet more on improving their physics engine and this is an excelent starting point!

Can't improve much these days with garbage cpus. Most devs would but between the ongoing graphics race and a lack of power they don't have not much they can achieve without sacrifice.

Oct 27, 2017

At the moment, using the houdini engine or another specialized destruction/simulation engine is not ideal. If you could good looking, fast results using this Chaos component in UE4, you can improve so many cutscenes simply by having it.

Also, if you can simulate and bake results inside UE4, you can cache a lot of that data into 2D bitmaps, where it is going to look like an actual fracturing, while running only as a shader effect under the hood.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Holy cow, that is b-e-a-utiful. This kind of stuff is exactly what I want with next gen.

Side note, why do dang tech demos always look so badass and fun? So many tech demos look like they would be some seriously fun games, but we rarely get anything like it. I remember back to the first benchmark test I did, circa 2002-2003, with that pickup truck blasting through a futuristic wasteland, while someone in the bed of the truck is workin the mounted heavy machine gun or w/e it was. The whole thing had a very Terminator feel to it, I think. Ahh that takes me back..

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great but I would put this video in the "Bullshot" bin. Maybe by 2030 we will see stuff like this

Epic is actually really good at delivering on the tech they showcase, obviously the use cases will depend on how developers chose to implement it much like what has happened with RTX over the last year.

It's no secret that Unreal engine 4 was originally designed around the performance targets of PlayStation 4/Xbox One and they scaled back their lighting model significantly due to that, but initiatives like this and their complex next gen animation solver systems seem to indicate that they are expecting big changes to baseline CPU power in the near future.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I REALLY hope physics make a BIG comeback next gen. Games already look pretty enough, give me more interactive elements please

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So i am expecting this kind of destructible environments in next gen games like Spiderman 2.

Are we going to get something like this or is it just going to be static buildings?
I don't want buildings to crumble in a Spider-Man game unless it's a setpiece or I'm fighting The Hulk

although, around-the-edges destructible elements... yes please

like if I get knocked into the corner of a building or pillar I want that shit to chip and break

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

Even if it were possible, you have to wonder if it makes sense design-wise. The team may not want buildings to be leveled when they rely on these buildings for web swinging and traversal =p

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Even if it were possible, you have to wonder if it makes sense design-wise. The team may not want buildings to be leveled when they rely on these buildings for web swinging and traversal =p
yeah, or conceptually. the team may not want buildings to be leveled because you're Spider-Man and not Supes fighting Zod in MoS
there's only a few ways I'd see destruction across the whole map coming into play in a Spider-Man game and the only idea I like for it (a hugely reigned-in take on Ultimatum) is best meant to close a trilogy of Spider-Games

Nov 23, 2017
Why doesn't Epic just listen to ERA???? Didn't they hear no one cares about this, it's too expensive for hardware, that it's a gimmick, and that Red Faction Guerilla did it better?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unreal Engine demos have a history of being fanciful at best. Looks great, though.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

Looks incredible.
Agreed. Visuals look good enough at this point diminishing returns have set in hard. What takes me out of the immersion is dumb AI and world interactions (probably why I like BotW so much and its chemistry system).

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Agreed. Visuals look good enough at this point diminishing returns have set in hard. What takes me out of the immersion is dumb AI and world interactions (probably why I like BotW so much and its chemistry system).

Yes I completely agree and BOTW was incredible in both areas (physics and AI.)

I think taking a break for a gen from graphics would actually improve them immensely in the long term, say they stick with solely improving physics and AI for the next 5 years and then in 5 years have those advanced physics but also start focusing on graphics again.

Graphics tech would be substantially better by that point imo and would have a massive "wow" factor.

It's like you say, right now the improvements in graphics are so small it's almost impossible to notice but bad AI and poor physics are sticking out like a sore thumb.

Feb 8, 2018
I REALLY hope physics make a BIG comeback next gen. Games already look pretty enough, give me more interactive elements please

They can look much prettier but this looks impressive, would be cool to have it in a Gears of War type of game. I wonder if Levolution has been improved too. Imagine battlefront/Battlefield with large scale destruction

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Whats the better thing they will spend their processing power on.
The GPU bump will give us amazing graphics, no one doubts that.
Streaming in worlds is pretty much on lock...yes it can be improved.
Physics and AI are the next big leap....and here EPIC are showing us Physics.

Unless you think devs are gonna be spending CPU time doing Bi-Directional Path Tracing or something?

Getting some serious 'Robo Recall' vibes here.

From the description:
Unreal Engine said:
The real-time tech demo is set within the world of Robo Recall.

Feb 8, 2018
Yes I completely agree and BOTW was incredible in both areas (physics and AI.)

I think taking a break for a gen from graphics would actually improve them immensely in the long term, say they stick with solely improving physics and AI for the next 5 years and then in 5 years have those advanced physics but also start focusing on graphics again.

Graphics tech would be substantially better by that point imo and would have a massive "wow" factor.

It's like you say, right now the improvements in graphics are so small it's almost impossible to notice but bad AI and poor physics are sticking out like a sore thumb.

A pretty unique Idea Never thought about that. We'd get interesting results on PS6 lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks very cool but now devs will have to model (to some extent) the insides of buildings that they otherwise would not have. I guess a procedural solution could probably be implemented.