haziq

Oct 29, 2017
I was just thinking about characters with interesting designs and... one thing that always kinda bothered me is when characters are made to be physically imposing/athletic/dominant, but look rather average when it comes to their actual physique.

This trope is a bit more tolerable in explicit superhero media where characters either have otherworldly origins or have undergone some sort of experiment or accident in order to gain otherwise impossible superpowers. But in stuff like JRPG's, anime, etc, it just kinda takes me out when characters that are made to seem extremely physically capable just look like average teenagers.

Take something like Ruby Rose from RWBY, for instance.

ruby_rose__rwby_phoenix__by_krrwby_debvune-fullview.png

In this world, you have all these young characters training to be monster hunters, except they're already extremely skilled & athletic as exemplified through the extravagant fight scenes. But when you look at what they're doing, you realize that the characters should actually look more athletic than they actually do. In Ruby's case, she carries around this scythe that's twice her size & is also a sniper rifle. Something like that would have to weigh a ton, and yet Ruby swings it around like it's made of hollow plastic. So, you would think that her core strength would be enormous & would be pretty cut & stocky... but she just looks like a regular-ass anime girl. This gets especially silly when the show portrays Ruby as being an ineffectual hand-to-hand combatant. Not only does that not matter - she has a fucking gun-scythe, can literally turn into rose petals & fly really fast, and has a secret sharingan - it's also very absurd that she wouldn't be effective with the hands. She apparently has the core strength of a world-class bodybuilder & is faster than anyone in that doesn't have access to teleportation, she should be a problem in hand-to-hand fights with grunts, at least.

For another example... in Final Fantasy XIV, I main Monk & play as a female Roegadyn (basically a hot orc race) with nearly max muscle because... well, it makes sense. A demigod who prefers to use their physical strength to impose their will should definitely look like an otherworldly amazon. And that's why I chuckle a bit when I see other Warriors of Light playing as skinny & frail catgirl Monks, or little toddlers hawking around axes & claymores twice their size.

Personally, I always feel like the physique should match the feats the character performs. I don't necessarily think every character should be built like Lebron James or anything, but I think if your character relies specifically on physical strength or speed to be effective, their design should largely reflect that. And in contrast, if your character relies on more strategic planning, or magic of some sort, their design should reflect that as well.

For instance, take Weiss who's also in RWBY.

dalu1qs-95be6667-992f-48d5-96c3-737ea9e67b06.jpg

She's a summoner who uses a gun-rapier as her weapon (though it's functionally more of a wand), and can materialize glyphs that she can stand on irrespective of gravity. She has more of an "elegant" design to her, in which her average anime girl build works, since she's not reliant on her physique.

Anyways, share some stuff you find pretty cringe when it comes to character designs.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2: The Thread.

cZVMtuvc8UQ_S7AT3ivS--64IMSyM1EGpqsNCmZ7kVA.jpg

Rex and Pyra. Just... Rex and Pyra.

(Mythra's original outfit is also bad, but the Smash outfit she got was a massive improvement.)

OP
OP
haziq

haziq

Oct 29, 2017

(Mythra's original outfit is also bad, but the Smash outfit she got was a massive improvement.)
Prya's design is actually kinda... tedious, considering what JRPG's tend to get away with when it comes to female character designs. But Rex? I'm irrationally focused on that helmet hoodie & what it could possibly be used for.

Definitely some gross overdesign going on with both, tho.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Prya's design is actually kinda... tedious, considering what JRPG's tend to get away with when it comes to female character designs. But Rex? I'm irrationally focused on that helmet hoodie & what it could possibly be used for.

Definitely some gross overdesign going on with both, tho.
It's a diving suit. He's a salvager.
Edit: obviously if you get into the nitty gritty of real world physics and stuff, it doesn't work as a diving suit as it has a bunch of holes in it. The helmet part is the least of teh issues really

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Giving Ruby Rose a more atlethic body would be a nice decision. Looking at that picture feels like the scythe is made of paper

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
In my head canon, my female midlander WoL has a lot more muscle than the game's slider lets me give her.

Pyra's ultra micro skirt will never not be the stupidest shit ever.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion that will get me heat here, but I absolutely loathe sidecuts, regardless of gender too.

Kali-DJ-head_compressed.jpg

Just think they look ugly as sin.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Honestly, as a former published cartoonist, MOST character designs across both animated and static illustration genres irk me. This probably has to do more with my personal idiosyncrasies that it does the artwork itself, though. Likely being on the spectrum (I've never been "officially" tested), I'm just extraordinarily hard to please with certain things.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
latest

Minor Complaint: Adam's horns just look like highlights
Major Complaint: He got branded on the eye? Your 'animal people as stand in for minorities' evil guy got branded? On the eye?! That's the big reveal he's been wearing a mask for?

OP
OP
haziq

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
latest

Minor Complaint: Adam's horns just look like highlights
Major Complaint: He got branded on the eye? Your 'animal people as stand in for minorities' evil guy got branded? On the eye?! That's the big reveal he's been wearing a mask for?
I'm totally down with this turning into a stealth RWBY complaint thread lol.

Schnee Dust Company brand, and never had a single scene with Weiss or the other Schnee's before he was Bumblebee'd. Absolutely pointless addition to his design.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a specific character in mind but a character design feature that has bugged the hell out of me the last couple years
Two tone designs with 1 solid color and the other part camo.

Sometimes thats fine but for MW19,CW and Vanguard thats like 99% of the designs.
Battlefield started doing it as well
latest

I don't know why it bothers me so much

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Edit: obviously if you get into the nitty gritty of real world physics and stuff, it doesn't work as a diving suit as it has a bunch of holes in it. The helmet part is the least of teh issues really

There isn't any skin showing when he is actually underwater, like during the intro. So that means he could have kept the "full" salvager suit just fine during the whole game but they decided he should he show skin just because, making his whole design even worse for no good reason. It could have been tolerable if it was just the shoulders and arm, but the legs... why the legs?

Pyra is another stupid design like mentioned. When I did my last playthrough recently, I gave her the alternate outfit just to make the cutscenes a little better. I mean, the alternate costume isn't top tier design, but at least she doesn't look like a prostitute.
latest

Thankfully, they seem to have learn their lesson for Xenoblade 3.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any time they out a woman in heels. It's so god damn ugly, impractical and infuriating

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
usasasdsdsntitledasasa_thumb.detail.png

This dumb fucking design with the big-ass bow and the anime cutesy face from Tormented Souls.
That goddamn dumbass went into a decrepit asylum, knowing full well that it could be dangerous, and she went in it with the worst possible outfit for the situation.

c57887fb0ddbacc59ac23803fedcd5d2c689f293.png

I've never seen a character look so out of place in a game before, I hate it so much omg

Edit : Oh and let's not forget that this dip-shit, waste of time of a game probably has the speed-world record of full frontal and totally gratuitous nudity inside a horror "game."
Not only that, there's actually some clothes where she wakes up. But no, that moronic goddamn fool decides to go right back to her shojo-reject lookin-ass joke of an outfit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
haziq

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
usasasdsdsntitledasasa_thumb.detail.png

This dumb fucking design with the big-ass bow and the anime cutesy face from Tormented Souls.
That goddamn dumbass went into a decrepit asylum, knowing full well that it could be dangerous, and she went in it with the worst possible outfit for the situation.

c57887fb0ddbacc59ac23803fedcd5d2c689f293.png

I've never seen a character look so out of place in a game before, I hate it so much omg

Edit : Oh and let's not forget that this dip-shit, waste of time of a game probably has the speed-world record of full frontal and totally gratuitous nudity inside a horror "game."
Not only that, there's actually some clothes where she wakes up. But no, that moronic goddamn fool decides to go right back to her shojo-reject lookin-ass joke of an outfit.
This looks like a Steam Greenlight game.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Rise of TMNT designs just rub me the wrong way. If it were any other cartoon, I'd think it's awesome, but I don't like my turtles looking like that.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
Shinobu from No more Heroes went from a good design on the first game to an embarrassing one on the second game to this absolute monstrosity in the third game:
0021329_travis-strikes-again-no-more-heroes-season-pass-eu-nintendo-switch.jpeg

(character I'm referring to is the left one, couldn't find a good image with her alone)

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
You know what's funny? Rex and Pyra aren't that bad compared to many blades you unlock. Looking at Dahlia and the twin ice blades.

Anyways, not videogame in particular, but fiction in general. Something I really dislike is when female characters are supposed to be fighting, yet they are wearing either a damn skirt (short usually), heels or boots with heels, and many times exposing parts of their bodies. Instead of, you know, pants and clothes that cover also their arms and even shoulders.

One of the worst is Space Battleship Yamato. The male uniform is something a naval crewman would wear. Shirt, pants and shoes. What does the women wear? A tightsuit with heel boots. We all know why they did that, though. I still don't understand why I didn't drop it.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Women in video games the thread, though we have that thread already.

May 9, 2018
98% of female's character design in games and anime/comics irks me. I can't watch/play most of them because of it. My brother used to play Dragon's Crown all day, as the sorceress :

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
For me it's the character designs (specifically, not the art) of PPPPPP:

ytt3yv98vq691.jpg

45fdfb8bb00ac5b65bb1de4e286a9157befb865e.png

it's mostly a combination of the wild proportions and hair that just extremely irks me.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Claire's classic costume in RE2 Remake

529297-resident-evil-2-claire-classic-costume.jpg

The black undershirt is a tanktop for some reason? It should be a turtle neck, and they got rid of her gloves

images

Her default costume is good but sometimes I want the 90's nonsense, and they did a good job with Leon

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
The Major's character design for GitS 2045. She can always remain somewhat the same or younger thanks to prosthetics, but the execution here is horrible.

Ilya Kuvshinov, never again.

E08S02C042AA_V002.jpg

teaservisual.jpg

ghost-in-the-shell-sac-2045-season-2-netflix-coming-may-2022.jpeg

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
*shrugs* I've always thought the anime trope OP is talking about was pretty cool.

99% of media shows strong characters looking big and physically strong - I think it's cool to subvert that sometimes.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion that will get me heat here, but I absolutely loathe sidecuts, regardless of gender too.

Kali-DJ-head_compressed.jpg

Just think they look ugly as sin.
I don't hate them, the problem is that it's the default haircut given to any woman who is meant to be a badass. It is so generic and overdone at this point.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Large reason as to why I havent played this game. They should just use different flavors of lightning as a protagonist forever.

Other large reason its that its a long ass game.
*shrugs* I've always thought the anime trope OP is talking about was pretty cool.

99% of media shows strong characters looking big and physically strong - I think it's cool to subvert that sometimes.
Yeah I think so too. I think the silhouettes end up better with non-muscly characters too.
Pyra's ultra micro skirt will never not be the stupidest shit ever.
Theyre ultra mini shorts actually

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
i know the word generic gets used a little too much but i struggle to get into manga/anime that have very plain designs with no great art direction(see more or less every isekai show with the same black haired protagonist).

The most recent one that comes to mind in Tonikawa: FLy me to the Moon. Just the epitome of bland looking anime people with the only differentiating factor being what shade of multicolor is their hair.

Oct 26, 2017

He's not going underwater though, he's going into the cloud sea. Made up magic thick gas stuff, I dunno.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
Almost everything done by Monolith Software. It's just so cringey. It's one reason why I don't play their games anymore despite having excellent world designers.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Latex suits with belly buttons on the suit will trigger me 100% of the time. Can't be assed to look it up right now but I'll edit one into my post on my break or something.

Jan 4, 2021
the-suicide-squad-suicide-squad.gif
Anytime I see this lazy shit. ESPECIALLY when the surrounding universe and logic has no precedent.

No, the MCU does not count in this critique, Tony spent a decade of movies building up to his nano, in a universe where aliens with superior tech had already invaded or joined his team.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The Major's character design for GitS 2045. She can always remain somewhat the same or younger thanks to prosthetics, but the execution here is horrible.

Ilya Kuvshinov, never again.

E08S02C042AA_V002.jpg

teaservisual.jpg

ghost-in-the-shell-sac-2045-season-2-netflix-coming-may-2022.jpeg

Yup, 2045 don't exist for me. Her design is just amongst many other reasons.

This hurts because this IP is the reason why I got into my field in the first place.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
latest

Out of all the costumes from Xena, Mavican's outfit looked the most ridiculous. And it was just one offense that brought down the character including the acting and competency.

Adding to that, Baiken from Guilty Gear and King and King from KOF's later designs to enhance their chests.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I feel like you can probably just link the entirety of the Why Women Criticize Sexualized Character Design thread and it would fill in a majority of what's going to show up in this thread.