• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Obviously we needed Smakes original NES game art design over the Sony era one
2362059-nes_metalgear.jpg

Or even better, the design from snakes revenge

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Only design I have a problem with is Samus because fuck other M and it was the worst Varia Suit.
Like I said, you can thank the timing in which Sakurai locked in the project plan for us being stuck with Other M Samus yet again. It's the same reason why we don't have any Splatoon 2 alternate costumes for the Inklings.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I must be the only person who doesn't dig megaman's look. Thought it was an odd choice to ignore his character art in favor of making basically a new look based off the in-game sprite.
latest

I don't think they did this with any other character.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
TP Ganondorf, we already have Ocarina representation with Young Link, so each Zelda character representing as much as possible a different game would have been cool....

Shiek... I have no idea what to do with her xD

This is the best option.

Also he's just looks way more menacing with a beard. The mutton chops of Ocarina are just funny looking.

i3fkr4jpacd11.png

As for those saying Skyward Sword Zelda while she is also my favorite Zelda I would want to keep the idea of different games getting reps and I think an Impa echo fighter of Sheik based on her Skyward Sword design should happen.

Also I adore Other M's Samus design over the bulkier one suggested. It just fits with her combat style in this game to be sleek.

Nauro

Oct 25, 2017
Japan

I prefer Brawl Marth with his baby-blue coloured costume over Awakening Marth, though I really do like his brown shoes and his face is a lot better in the redesign. Hair should be longer though.

It's better than his Smash costume imo

If Travis Touchdown gets him his purple jacket would look better than his red despite it being his main appearance. plus henry as his echo fighter pls

And if Dante gets in it should be DMC 2 Dante imo

Also

Just give them to us you darn fools

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
or

Over the Other M inspired garbage we have. It was worse in 4, and DOES look better now, but it's still leagues worse than the Prime and Samus Returns designs. It stinks of shitty favoritism that we got stuck with an Other M design because it was "most recent" in 4, when we didn't get Prime design in Brawl, and when it was no longer most recent in Ultimate, we still don't get Samus Returns.

Fucking this.

And what's worse is that she doesn't even have any proper alternate costumes when she could have a good 5 or so. Fucking despise that garbage Other M suit.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely satisfied with Smash Ultimate's character designs so far.

G90103-04.jpg

I would have liked this for Young Link but I think that with the Master Sword and Hylian shield it would just look too similar to BotW Link.

pokemon-letsgo_180628.jpg

Also should have used these over Pokemon Trainer Red and Leaf Green.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't like the Champion's Tunic and capless Link is a travesty, so I'm not thrilled with Link's design in Ultimate.

I've always felt that Smash Bros should try to hew closer to overall representations of the characters, not specific designs, so I hate that Wario defaults to that hideous WarioWare outfit too.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I would love to have SS ganon/demise. I thought that look was totally badass

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of retaining the armor from the 8 year old game that nobody liked, Samus should be updated to her modern look in Returns. This one is a bigger deal to me. I know the Returns design was revealed after the initial plan for this was made so I get it, but that was still almost 2 years before this releases, so I think they could manage it if they decided to make it a priority. But I guess it's not.
If it's really that much of a problem then they could make it a DLC alt costume and I would pay.

m0AKnft.jpg

This one is not much of a big deal to me and I think what they already have looks really good, but I do prefer MP2 Dark Samus over the one they chose to go with. It looks less like a suit and more like a creature. And I love these pauldrons.

WtT4otP.jpg

And I too would prefer a more classic Sonic.

Zelda is another one where after her Ultimate form was revealed and I was like, eh. There are other forms I like better.

I think they made a good choice with Simon, though I do expect there to be a colorswapped alt modelled after the design you guys are posting and would be confused if there wasn't.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Bring back fat Pikachu

Also I really really wish we got MGSV snake /fake big boss/venom snake as an alt of snake :( he just looks soooo much more cooler

0006409_menshdge-no-16-metal-gear-solid-v-venom-snake_550.jpeg

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Classic Red. Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf. Classic Sonic. I also would've preferred Cloud's Kingdom Hearts costume as his alt over his Advent Children one though he should definitely still have his original outfit. Also, Wario should have his regular outfit as his default.

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously we needed Smakes original NES game art design over the Sony era one
2362059-nes_metalgear.jpg

Or even better, the design from snakes revenge
Honestly something like that would be the best alongside a pure retro design like Simon,
I'd go with
latest

basic uniform of original NES Metal Gear era Foxhound, with the iconic bandana from the retconned sequel and later Solid games.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Classic Red. Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf. Classic Sonic. I also would've preferred Cloud's Kingdom Hearts costume as his alt over his Advent Children one though he should definitely still have his original outfit. Also, Wario should have his regular outfit as his default.
As mentioned earlier, I don't think Nintendo has full ownership over the Hyrule Warriors designs. Otherwise HW Ganondorf would have been a safe bet.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I didn't expect them to go back to Melee Ganon/OoT Ganon, but that made me really happy.

Couldn't possibly ask for any other character version preference.

I'm a happy man.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has me wishing Smash Ultimate gets alternate skins somewhere down the line. This is the perfect series for it.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Let's GO didn't begin development until after the release of Pokémon GO, & Smash Ultimate's project plan was already finalized by then.
A lot of these preferences are hypothetical, and not looking to be consistent to the Production Plan. Like, say, Shulk getting a look based on a recent non-continuity DLC bonus mode isn't feasible, but it's a preference.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
A lot of these preferences are hypothetical, and not looking to be consistent to the Production Plan. Like, say, Shulk getting a look based on a recent non-continuity DLC bonus mode isn't feasible, but it's a preference.
Fair point, though I personally am perfectly happy with Red & Leaf being used as the trainers......even though I would have preferred the game to call them "Red" & "Leaf" respectively. I understand why they didn't, but still.

Wzrd

Oct 26, 2017
Portland, Oregon
You talking about how Shadow's probably getting in?
If Shadow is in thats cool with me, he has established himself as part of the core Sonic group, but I'd personally prefer Metal Sonic. He's a true classic in the Sonic franchise and a near carbon copy.

Shadow with Sonic's Smash moves would be such a disservice to what he can do throughout the games.

Metal deserves the burn of clone status more.
I agree with this Shadow has earned his place as his own character.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man is my sole complaint in this regard. THIS is Mega Man.
bd245cfc4af6b156612a041ca52edd0b83ef49f4v2_00.jpg

latest

Not this weird stubby chibi thing. I get they were more going for the classic incarnation in 3D, but that doesn't work well when we have official character art that doesn't look like this at all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Kojima's gothic style >>> generic barbarian man

I honestly disagree. Kojima Simon doesn't even make any sense. Simon Belmont is a barbarian. That's literally his character, he grew up in the mountains and was basically homeless.

Trevor should be cultured and fancy. Simon is a barbarian.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Mega Man is my sole complaint in this regard. THIS is Mega Man.
bd245cfc4af6b156612a041ca52edd0b83ef49f4v2_00.jpg

latest

Not this weird stubby chibi thing. I get they were more going for the classic incarnation in 3D, but that doesn't work well when we have official character art that doesn't look like this at all.
I mean, the way the older modern version of Mega Man looked was a bit eh to me. Now MM11 Mega Man, THAT'S a Mega Man design I can get behind.

8154.mm1.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think Mega Man has never looked better than in current Smash.
Though when I say that I'm talking specifically about this incarnation and excluding X. Because X is the best.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Besides sonic and some classic 2d Link (preferably with pink hair), my biggest problem is with samus.

Like other M is one of the worst variations of her armor ever. Super Metroid or go crazy like Light Suit from the prime series.
Zero Suit Samus is also the worst one. Both green hair purple swimsuit, black bathing suit and blonde hair and the alternate sports bra shorts that she have are better simply because of the lack of heels

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i would have prefered the more cartoony bower rather than this over-angry one we got in 4 and ultimate

maxresdefault.jpg

i still like it but he looks too... feral, i don't know

Also samus, give me prime or returns design, not the boring Other M one

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the way the older modern version of Mega Man looked was a bit eh to me. Now MM11 Mega Man, THAT'S a Mega Man design I can get behind.

8154.mm1.jpg
Oh yeah that's by far my favorite design for classic, but that wasn't announced back when Mega Man was revealed in Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
This is the best option.

Also he's just looks way more menacing with a beard. The mutton chops of Ocarina are just funny looking.

i3fkr4jpacd11.png

As for those saying Skyward Sword Zelda while she is also my favorite Zelda I would want to keep the idea of different games getting reps and I think an Impa echo fighter of Sheik based on her Skyward Sword design should happen.

Also I adore Other M's Samus design over the bulkier one suggested. It just fits with her combat style in this game to be sleek.

I will never understand anyone that prefers the TP design. It looks absolutely terrible in Smash, there isn't a single animation of his that doesn't look hilariously awkward (even just running makes him look like he's gonna run out of breath). Ganon in Ultimate is like the most drastic design improvement in the series outside of Zelda.

On topic, Other M Samus needs to GTFO. Even if they couldn't use the Samus Returns one because it was too new, they should have went back and used one of the older designs.