• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, real talk, why dosent the PED Suit get shit on more often?
samus_p_e_d_body_shot_by_kiyoshinobuyuki.jpg

Like this looks significantly worse than Other M, and this is the default suit in Prime 3. Like Samus looks like shes about to fight the Covenant or some shit.
/beginsnobbishrant

Because nobody tries to argue that it looks good. It only reaches tolerable status as you get further corrupted and it sucks that you're stuck with it the whole game. After Echoes had the beautiful Dark Suit and Light Suit designs, Corruption dropped the ball.

The real question is how people can like the Fusion Suit, also known as blueberry taffy Samus. She looks like a Chinese knockoff toy. And unlike the PED suit, people often praise this one.

hS7iCOJ.jpg

Edit: Wait, people actually like the PED suit? Christ.

/endsnobbishrant

Last edited:

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Because nobody tries to argue that it looks good. It only reaches tolerable status as you get further corrupted and it sucks that you're stuck with it the whole game. After Echoes had the beautiful Dark Suit and Light Suit designs, Corruption dropped the ball.

The real question is how people can like the Fusion Suit, also known as blueberry taffy Samus. She looks like a Chinese knockoff toy. And unlike the PED suit, people often praise this one.

hS7iCOJ.jpg
I dont know if I like it necessarily, I just like the concept of it. Its basically the same idea as the PED, Samus suit gets contaminated and has to be rebuilt. I like the idea that it is essentially a Metroid Power Suit, plus the organic look of the suit is kind of cool.

At least its interesting, which isnt something I can say about the PED.
metroid_fusion_suits_by_kenji_imatake.png

I still would want it in Ultimate as a nod to Fusion.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I dont know if I like it necessarily, I just like the concept of it. Its basically the same idea as the PED, Samus suit gets contaminated and has to be rebuilt. I like the idea that it is essentially a Metroid Power Suit, plus the organic look of the suit is kind of cool.

I do think the Gravity and final versions of the Fusion Suit look better thanks to better color schemes.

The Varia Fusion Suit on the other hand makes it look like a clown vomited on Samus.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
/beginsnobbishrant

hS7iCOJ.jpg

Edit: Wait, people actually like the PED suit? Christ.

/endsnobbishrant
It looks fun. More than I can say for the other m suit.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Brawl Marth with his baby-blue coloured costume over Awakening Marth, though I really do like his brown shoes and his face is a lot better in the redesign. Hair should be longer though.

It's better than his Smash costume imo

If Travis Touchdown gets him his purple jacket would look better than his red despite it being his main appearance. plus henry as his echo fighter pls

And if Dante gets in it should be DMC 2 Dante imo

Also

Just give them to us you darn fools
That's not awakening marth, thats his remake outfit

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being smash ultimate I wish there was a 64 item that gave everyone their original smash looks and they made others in that style who weren't in the game too.

So you could be
pikachu_super_smash_bros_64_render_by_ianmcracoon2000-d9k1t96.png
instead of
large.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought Snake being Naked Snake's head on MGS2 Snake's body looks weird, especially given that Snake has never even come close to having facial hair like that in any of his games.
He had a decent amount of facial hair when
he was masquerading as Iroquois Pliskin. MGS2 has an item you can acquire as Raiden called a shaver, if you giver to Snake at a certain point in the game, he will use it to shave, and be clean shaven.
My headcanon is that Solid Snake grew the beard because he spent so long gathering Intel on the other Smash fighters before joining the fray himself, and hasn't had the time to shave.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People saying Ayami Kojima Simon need to realize that the distinctive style of her art would probably be lost in the transition to a 3D model. You would end up with a much more generic character design in the context of Smash.

Last edited:

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Would have loved if they went Dark Samus's Prime 2 look, more organic looking and actually creepy. Never liked the how they toned everything down in Prime 3 and made her arm cannon look like an amputated stub (which Ultimate seems to borrow heavily from).
hBOvv3D.png

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Just use Samus Return Varia Suit and Gravity Suit. Best designs she has ever had.

Also get rid of the heels in Zero Suit Samus.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Mirror of Fate Simon and Symphony of the Night Richter
They were never gonna happen but it was my dream.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Its actually baffling to me how little there has been of alternate skins. Like we got all those Mii outfits as DLC but skins for characters we care about? Naaaaah. Hopefully they are just hiding a bunch of skins in Ultimate and its not just Mario, Ridley, and Ike that have extra ones.

Mario and Co. don't even have extra skins. They replaced older ones.

But yeah, don't expect anything but recolors with the occasional slight model change. Too much work already goes into the default designs and newcomers.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I would have preferred a different Samus. Take it from Samus Returns, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, anything but that Other M design (which has improved, at least).
Brawl had a good mix between Super and Prime, that was the best one.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I think barbarian Simon is perfectly fine, but I would've appreciated Kojima Richter to go along with him.

d5fa6678233b4f48016d1fe27c0269d8.jpg
I wish Richter was modeled more after how he looks in concept art for Rondo of Blood and the the cutscenes in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMgAIuov4oI That late 80's/early 90's anime aesthetic. Instead he looks more like a character from Street Fighter.

Also this would be the more appropriate Kojima design, that's his design for SotN.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I don't like the Fusion suit, looks like somebody tried to put spandex over the normal suit and just ended up ripping. Looks like shit.

PED suit looks awesome. I don't know what it is that I like about it, but I do think it's pretty nice that the suit itself doesn't change much as the game goes on like some of the other games. You just see it being continually added on to instead of changing completely. Like how you don't switch beams anymore, they just stack on each other.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic is definitely my answer. Mega Man, Pac Man and Simon all got enhanced versions of their best or most iconic designs, completely ignoring the current state of the characters. There was less care put into Sonic's design. Instead of using a look from his good games, they based his look on Sonic 06 because that was the most recent game. And then the same thing happened with Smash 4, with his stage being based on Sonic Lost World. Everyone else is pretty spot on

Nov 17, 2017
Sonic is definitely my answer. Mega Man, Pac Man and Simon all got enhanced versions of their best or most iconic designs, completely ignoring the current state of the characters. There was less care put into Sonic's design. Instead of using a look from his good games, they based his look on Sonic 06 because that was the most recent game. And then the same thing happened with Smash 4, with his stage being based on Sonic Lost World. Everyone else is pretty spot on
Probably a result of Sonic being added to Brawl last minute. As for Smash 4, I feel like SEGA would have wanted Modern Sonic.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Modern Sonic is the one with actual Nintendo history though, so it's not surprising.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Modern Sonic is the one with actual Nintendo history though, so it's not surprising.

True, although I feel like his 16-bit rivalry with Mario is more relevant to Nintendo history than his Wii game with a talking sword

I mean I know it's obvious why the wrong Sonic is in Smash, because unlike Pac Man, Megaman and Simon, Sonic is an active franchise and the character has a consistent look

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
bring back teh chubby pika

ga.02611.0001opf39.jpg

everyone should have their smash 64 designs as an option. especially fox.

also melee sheik pls

EloNoolah

Oct 25, 2017
Not a "design" per se but I'd prefer if DK and Bowser had their established voices instead of the weird stock animal noises they get stuck with in Smash. I know DK's Scooby-Doo noises in particular get a lot of hate but as they've moved further and further away from that pseudo-realistic Melee aesthetic it's made less and less sense to continue using the "realistic" sound effects.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Or even better, the design from snakes revenge
Is that the super-buff Snake?

I'm absolutely satisfied with Smash Ultimate's character designs so far.

G90103-04.jpg

I would have liked this for Young Link but I think that with the Master Sword and Hylian shield it would just look too similar to BotW.
That's not Young Link though, it's Oracle games Link.
latest

New Leaf proportions for Villager.
Ughhh I was super annoyed that Smash 4 didn't use them, bit they could have fixed that in Ultimate. I hate the City Folk model.

Although....

BoysFaceGuide.jpg

My kingdom for GC Villager design alts.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
ALBW Zelda is incommensurately better than BOTW Zelda. I didn't suffer with TP Punished Zelda just to get another aloof, whiny princess. She deserves to be bright and to have a personality for herself and ALBW is perfect for this