• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For example, I can't help but to think classic Sonic got snubbed lol:

another_classic_sonic_render_by_alsyouri2001-dasito3.png
classic_sonic__cg_style__by_mintenndo-d8rf7o3.png
classic_sonic_by_ikke471-dbkamex.png

VS

Although I don't necessarily dislike the more elongated, lanky modern design of Sonic, I do much prefer his shorter, more classic look.

What other designs would you have preferred for different characters. Perhaps chubby Pikachu? Luigi with the Poltergust? Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf? etc.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I feel like visually Sonic is the only one people can make an argument for, and even then its a really good take on modern Sonic.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Twilight Princess Zelda over the current one.

Brown haired Zelda over Blonde. Nintendo seems to have some kind of fetish for blondes. Seems like every one of their main female characters is blonde.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lucina should have her Masked Marth look

Pokémon Trainer should look like Red from Pokémon Red and Green/Blue

Pikachu should be fat

Samus should have her Fusion Suit

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that bothers me about K.Rool is that he pulls his pirate hat out when he uses his blunderbuss and needs his crown on his head at all times, completely negating any chance of him getting his Kaptain K.Rool look, which is objectively his best one.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish richter was pretty boy richter from SOTN and I will admit that is purely for selfish reasons

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
TP Ganondorf, we already have Ocarina representation with Young Link, so each Zelda character representing as much as possible a different game would have been cool....

Shiek... I have no idea what to do with her xD

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
I wish Twilight Zelda AND Breath of the Wild Zelda were alts.

Like...3 of them? Peach, Zelda, Samus...isn't that it? Unless you're counting Pokemon characters like Cynthia, Lillie, etc....but Pokemon characters have all different hair colors.

Those are the only main female Nintendo characters I can think of. They all have blonde hair, too.

I agree! Would be awesome to have both of them as alts!

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I get that she's "not a fighter" or whatever but if BotW Zelda can be in Hyrule Warriors I don't see why they couldn't use her in Smash. I just really don't like ALBW Zelda like at all. I hope the last design is still in as an alt.

Also you make a decent case for Classic Sonic, I'm actually surprised they don't include him as an alt as well. Though I'm not sure classic Sonic games were on earlier Nintendo systems?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I know the beefcake Simon the Barbarian design has more relevance to Nintendo's history, but Ayami Kojima's art for Castlevania is so unique, flavorful, and distinctive that I would have preferred seeing her designs in the game.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Conan the Barbarian/He-man Simon >>>>>> Anime red-head Simon.

It's what he was introduced as and what the series was aimed at.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samus (and ZSS) in her Samus Returns outfit even if I don't have a problem with Other M armor. Zelda in her BOTW as an alternate costume just to see how she would look in Smash because I love the depiction of ALTTP

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
+1 for Twilight Princess Link, or like, Ocarina or Hyrule Warriors. BoTW default link is so lame.

Heck, I'd even take Gerudo Link over it.

Also Samus Returns... Samus over the Other M one.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have preferred any of the more mature looking Zeldas. ALBW is a bit too childish. I liked her regal look from before.
OOT, TP, and SS Zeldas are all great.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
+1 for Twilight Princess Link, or like, Ocarina or Hyrule Warriors. BoTW default link is so lame.

Heck, I'd even take Gerudo Link over it.

Also Samus Returns... Samus over the Other M one.
To be fair, I don't think Nintendo has full ownership over the Hyrule Warriors designs.

But to add to this thread, Female Corrin should have been the default design for Corrin. Likewise, while I understand that the project plan was finalized almost 3 years ago (long before the launch of Splatoon 2), the main Splatoon 2 Inkling Girl should have been the default (with the green-haired Splatoon 2 Inkling Boy being the main Inkling Boy of Smash). There's also Samus Returns Samus, but she likely suffered the same fate as the Splatoon 2 Inklings.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
or
Over the Other M inspired garbage we have. It was worse in 4, and DOES look better now, but it's still leagues worse than the Prime and Samus Returns designs. It stinks of shitty favoritism that we got stuck with an Other M design because it was "most recent" in 4, when we didn't get Prime design in Brawl, and when it was no longer most recent in Ultimate, we still don't get Samus Returns.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
or

Over the Other M inspired garbage we have. It was worse in 4, and DOES look better now, but it's still leagues worse than the Prime and Samus Returns designs. It stinks of shitty favoritism that we got stuck with an Other M design because it was "most recent" in 4, when we didn't get Prime design in Brawl, and when it was no longer most recent in Ultimate, we still don't get Samus Returns.
Remember, Smash Ultimate's project plan was finalized sometime around late 2015 to early 2016. If Splatoon 2 couldn't even get an alternate costume for the Inklings in the game, there wasn't much hope for Samus' design from Samus Returns.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only feel that way because Twilight Princess was my first Zelda, haha. Familiarity/nostalgia and all that jazz. Don't worry, Zelda will still be one of my mains. The current design is nice. I'd just prefer Twilight Princess' design.
I get where you're coming from, though we had that design for a decade now. It doesn't look bad, but it is by far the blandest one.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Skyward sword Zelda over Link between worlds zelda
Technically speaking, Smash Ultimate Zelda is actually an amalgamation of her designs from A Link to the Past & A Link Between Worlds. If you look at Sakurai's actual quote from the E3 Direct (not the translation), you can see that Sakurai said "A Link to the Past" (though to be fair, ALBW is called "A Link to the Past 2" in Japan). There are elements of both games in Zelda's design, but the inspirations seems to skew closer to her ALttP incarnation.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
BotW Zelda was robbed, ROBBED! I don't buy Sakurai's excuse either, they probably wanted her to be less similar to BotW Link's colour scheme.

The new Zelda is still great, but BotW has my favorite Zelda character design by far.