• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Minor character who joins the Tenkaichi Budoukai in End of Z.

hfkfk.png
ah yes, I remember this guy
according to some trivia from the broly moviekale and cauliflas relationship is parallel to chilaes and brolys so take that as u will
I dont think Cheelai and Broly have a romantic relationship lol

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Keeping on Tales, and one I totally ignore what's canon because Cheria is a beast on the battlefield but the WORST of all Tales pairings. Richard x Asbel are incredibly close.

These two are no way not hot for each other.

Cheria was indeed trash in terms of a pairing option. The worst part was they literally pulled a Naruto: The Last to explain the shit because just like Naruto with Hinata until the movie, they barely had any romantic interaction to justify it so they had to make up something to pull it off.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, really? Wow, that's dumb considering the chemistry they have in their support conversations.
Yeah, it's wacky

Dorothea and Edelgard

As Edelgard's reign as the Adrestian emperor began, Enbarr was restored, and with it, a certain opera house. Soon the Mittelfrank Opera Company put together a war drama depicting the journey and sacrifice of the emperor and her companions, and the starring role went to none other than Dorothea. Edelgard initially forbade the company from staging it, but was eventually persuaded by Dorothea's passionate performance to rescind that decree. It is said that the emperor always set aside time to enjoy the opera thereafter.

Like yeah it's cute that it followed up their little conversation about the opera. But somehow this ending doesn't get even the token "and then after a few years they fell in love and married" that seems to adorn every het pairing in the game. Which is nuts because yeah there is lots more chemistry going on here than a good deal of other pairings.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cheria was indeed trash in terms of a pairing option. The worst part was they literally pulled a Naruto: The Last to explain the shit because just like Naruto with Hinata until the movie, they barely had any romantic interaction to justify it so they had to make up something to pull it off.

Her secondary accessory descriptions were obnoxious too.
Shit like "Fluffy Bow: Because he'll just HAVE to notice you in this!!". She always comes off as desperate (which, again, is pretty ironic since she's one of the best "combat medics" ever).

More specifically though, Asbel never really seems as IN-to Cheria... His connections with Richard over the years speaks for itself (doing the anime thing where they go "You just gotta remember me!" schtick to great effect), Asbel trying to raise and take care of Sophie is both genuine and precious, and him trying to reunite with his estranged brother is way more emotionally heavy than his "girlfriend" being mad that he won't spend time with her.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pardon my ignorance, but would a typical asexual woman wear her sexuality on her sleeve (so to speak) strutting around in a revealing qipao while on a secret mission in spain?

Re4 is my only game with Ada but she definitely was flirty and sexual in that game, though it also could be because of how it was shot and framed by the camera.
I mean they arent in a relationship, theres no point to her having it if not because she finds him hot and wants to bang every now and then. Literally the sole female character out of the entire cast where it actually is crack headcanon to think shes ace.
Ada has shown again and again that she has her own goals and thinks exclusively about them. She constantly uses those around her for that. I don't think that because it's implied at one moment that she might have had sex with Leon, she can't be ace. Again: it's not about having sex, it's only about sexual attraction. She never seemed interested in pursuing an actual relationship with anyone. For all we know, she could be just using him (once again, as she's done multiple times).

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Yeah, it's wacky

Dorothea and Edelgard

As Edelgard's reign as the Adrestian emperor began, Enbarr was restored, and with it, a certain opera house. Soon the Mittelfrank Opera Company put together a war drama depicting the journey and sacrifice of the emperor and her companions, and the starring role went to none other than Dorothea. Edelgard initially forbade the company from staging it, but was eventually persuaded by Dorothea's passionate performance to rescind that decree. It is said that the emperor always set aside time to enjoy the opera thereafter.

Like yeah it's cute that it followed up their little conversation about the opera. But somehow this ending doesn't get even the token "and then after a few years they fell in love and married" that seems to adorn every het pairing in the game. Which is nuts because yeah there is lots more chemistry going on here than a good deal of other pairings.

That's disappointing but I can still sense the subtext. Still, they're both bisexual icons so like, why not just say it?

Dorothea and Petra on the other hand is fucking amazing and outright states the people of Brigid were shocked at first but grew to accept Dorothea and that she and Petra are in love.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ada has shown again and again that she has her own goals and thinks exclusively about them. She constantly uses those around her for that. I don't think that because it's implied at one moment that she might have had sex with Leon, she can't be ace. Again: it's not about having sex, it's only about sexual attraction. She never seemed interested in pursuing an actual relationship with anyone. For all we know, she could be just using him (once again, as she's done multiple times).

Not pursuing a relationship during a zombie outbreak doesn't really make you asexual though does it? Also she is working right? Not having relationships at work doesn't make you asexual.

Again I've only seen her in RE4 so I don't have knowledge of the full extent of her character, but in that game there isn't really anything asexual about her imo. She dresses provocatively and flirts her way around the game.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
First character to come to mind was Joshua from The World Ends With You (at least in the original, I'm not sure if the remake changed anything).

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Claude is 100% bi at the very least. He wants my professor so bad but Nintendo won't let me. Let me love Claude, Nintendo!
Really? I never really understood why folks get that impression. Not that Claude's bi, but that Claude's romantically interested in Byleth. He easily has the most platonic dialogue with them, regardless of whether you play the male or female character. Honestly, Dimitri has far far more unresolved sexual tension with the male Prof than Claude has with either (and thus, should have been an option). I feel like they should have had Claude un-marriageable for Byleth no matter which you chose.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah, it's wacky

Dorothea and Edelgard

That's very disappointing. Guess that points to Dorothea and Petra being the most canon pairing for those two.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not pursuing a relationship during a zombie outbreak doesn't really make you asexual though does it? Also she is working right? Not having relationships at work doesn't make you asexual.

Again I've only seen her in RE4 so I don't have knowledge of the full extent of her character, but in that game there isn't really anything asexual about her imo. She dresses provocatively and flirts her way around the game.
Aces aren't people that can't dress provocatively or flirt (especially for someone like Ada who uses people constantly). They just don't feel sexual attraction. Doesn't mean they necessarily won't have sex (some do, some don't).

We can agree to disagree, you know. And that's OK. All I'm saying is that I definitely see Ada being ace. And I'm not the only one. But you're free to think otherwise. It's not like this thread is making things canon or anything.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of these arguements that I think are probably more wish fulfillment than author intention (though there's absolutely nothing wrong with that), but I actually think there's enough evidence to suggest that Ike from Fire Emblem was canonically written as gay (even if later writers tried to kind of retcon it with Priam). Like there's a ton of subtext, he never shows an iota of romantic interest in any of the woman who throw themselves at him, and the only two characters who have paired endings with him are Soren and Ranulf. I get the feeling the only reason it was explicit is that somebody at Nintendo was afraid of upsetting conservative parents or something like that and so they never made it explicit

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of these arguements that I think are probably more wish fulfillment than author intention (though there's absolutely nothing wrong with that), but I actually think there's enough evidence to suggest that Ike from Fire Emblem was canonically written as gay (even if later writers tried to kind of retcon it with Priam). Like there's a ton of subtext, he never shows an iota of romantic interest in any of the woman who throw themselves at him, and the only two characters who have paired endings with him are Soren and Ranulf. I get the feeling the only reason it was explicit is that somebody at Nintendo was afraid of upsetting conservative parents or something like that and so they never made it explicit
Hell, Priam being related to Ike doesn't even necessarily mean he's Ike's direct descendant. He could very well be Mist's child or grandchild.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I think trying to claim characters are on the ace/aro spectrum can be a bit troublesome given how misunderstood the topic is even within the larger LGBTQ+ community. If you simply read a character that doesn't show a lot of interest in romance or sex as aro/ace, well then a lot of characters fit the bill. Just look at your typical harem anime protagonists. >_> Not that I'm against aro/ace spectrum people seeing themselves in and claiming characters, especially since everyone deserves representation.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aces aren't people that can't dress provocatively or flirt (especially for someone like Ada who uses people constantly). They just don't feel sexual attraction. Doesn't mean they necessarily won't have sex (some do, some don't).

We can agree to disagree, you know. And that's OK. All I'm saying is that I definitely see Ada being ace. And I'm not the only one. But you're free to think otherwise. It's not like this thread is making things canon or anything.

Well yea I get that a person can dress however they want and that doesn't define their sexuality necessarily, but that's why in my first reply to you i asked if it was typical for an asexual person to dress in sexy clothes. Because I don't know. How people dress does potentially offer insight into who they are but again, I know it doesn't define them.

I'm ok to disagree, I'm not even really arguing, I don't care if she is or isn't anything, I'm more trying to understand your perspective and how you see her as asexual, when I didn't get that vibe (or any vibe on to her sexual preferences) from what I saw of her. She just existed, getting plagas samples, shooting a hookshot, throwing a rocket launcher...

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, Priam being related to Ike doesn't even necessarily mean he's Ike's direct descendant. He could very well be Mist's child or grandchild.
There's also the legit possibility of him being an alternate version of Ike who happened to be straight and not the Ike we actually knew considering this was the exact game that acknowledged that the fire emblem multiverse had parallel universes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure Ocelot is straightforwardly gay. He's clearly into Big Boss, I think Phantom Pain may actually confirm he loves him, but that relationship is...complicated.

Last edited:

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but she clearly had the sexual attraction to keep the fling going. (Also theyre not gonna say they fuck off screen in between games as her using him, thats just their relationship. There'd be no point for it outside the big events in their lives that the games are)

Aromantic? Maybe, but not asexual.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Chloe is bi in that case, she's hinted at having flings and stuff with Nate in the past in Uncharted 2 and mentioned having fun elsewhere.
Uncharted 2 established (to me at least) that she definitely has/had romantic feelings for Nate. I really liked their dynamic since it made her far from a femme fatale archetype.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That's disappointing but I can still sense the subtext. Still, they're both bisexual icons so like, why not just say it?

Dorothea and Petra on the other hand is fucking amazing and outright states the people of Brigid were shocked at first but grew to accept Dorothea and that she and Petra are in love.
Dorothea and Petra is so good. It's especially great that this ending straight up says Petra loves Dorothea without having to dance around it like most other same sex endings. I was pleasantly surprised that this did get a romantic ending since Petra can't be S-ranked.

Which, on one hand is a refreshing example of a character having a sexuality existing outside of the player.

But, on the other hand, let F!Byleth S-rank Petra, lol

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
The topic title say's it all. I was thinking recently about gay representation, and how video game creators seemingly used to be uneasy about having confirmed gay characters in their game. It's changed quite a bit, but it's still present, so I thought we could talk about characters, a large group of people believe are non-hetro, but it was never confirmed.

CourteousBewitchedBrahmancow-size_restricted.gif
That is not Ocelot, it is Liquid. I remember because of how disappointed I was that Metal Gear Solid 4 had no Ocelot.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Dorothea and Petra is so good. It's especially great that this ending straight up says Petra loves Dorothea without having to dance around it like most other same sex endings. I was pleasantly surprised that this did get a romantic ending since Petra can't be S-ranked.

Which, on one hand is a refreshing example of a character having a sexuality existing outside of the player.

But, on the other hand, let F!Byleth S-rank Petra, lol
Femme Byleth has some same gender S rank options that make sense and others where it felt like they drew names out of a hat. You can very much tell that the directors/writers didn't consult any yuri writers. At least on an aesthetic level Shamir, Leonie, and Ingrid not being options is mind boggling.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
This is just "flamboyant = gay" and as a villain, its a hyper homophobic cliche
tbf on Ghirahim, I wouldn't say its too much of a stretch to say
That if he was capable of love (debatable) he loves demise like fi loves link.
edit: tho assuming he's gay cause hes a flamboyant villain is kinda ughhhh

Last edited:

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
Ace Attorney has a few characters I would argue are gay or bi but Miles Edgeworth is the most obvious one by far, there is nothing that could convince me he's not gay.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, it's wacky

Dorothea and Edelgard

To be fair Dorothea and Hubert also don't end up together in their ending despite her teasing him about getting married in their A lol

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Clair and Nel in Star Ocean 3. I got serious vibes when I played it, and apparently the manga hints at it too.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
For me it's definitely Ignis, and the Ignis DLC definitely made it more apparent. He is ready to lose it all just for Noctis, the entire world be damned. There is more there than just '' my duty. '' There's love.

tumblr_p12aa6EmU51s2w5q7o1_500.gifv

There's some other proof that might imply that Ignis might be gay:

- Well for starters he is the only dude from the group who shows no interest in women throughout the game. While other people might imply '' he is just bound to his duty, nothing more, nothing less '' it's still interesting how he is completely left out of ANY KIND of girl talk.

- This might be a localization thing but during to boat ride to Altissia, Ignis starts talking about Ardyn and how he is suspicious/unsettling or something negative anyway, Prompto (jokingly?) asks '' Not your type? ''

- At one point the group discusses how beautiful Luna is going to look in her wedding dress, Ignis instead focuses on the designer of the dress and how the designer is magnificent. A bit stereotypical but looking at this thread, it fits right in.

The game would've been so much better if this was the ending, lbr.
wHOHlUr.png

But I recall one of the devs(?) saying in an interview where he was asked about all the shipping, that none of the boys are gay but people can keep fantasizing for sure. But I'm not 100% if that was the wording, but something similar was said once, iirc.

Last edited:

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland

Her big moment in RE2 (both 1998 and 2019) is when she *refuses* to achieve her goal at any cost (getting the G-virus sample) because of her feelings towards Leon, which nearly cost her life. In scenarios B (RE2 1998) she sacrifices her life to save Leon and on her dying bed she tells him "I'm...just a woman who fell in love with you. Nothing more.".

In RE4, after Wesker told her that he order Krauser to get rid off Leon, she goes out of her way to prevent that, risking conflict with Krauser.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Sees Thread

Gonna be a Chris Redfield thread

Yup

Which I don't understand really; if anything, I have always perceived Chris as the most a-sexual man in the history of videogames. Ever since the original Chris his mind can only think about one thing: "the mission".

The letter from RE 2 is obviously to throw off Umbrella, as everyone knows Chris is super serious. If Chris has any downtime, its because he'a wallowing in selfpitty.

Honestly almost all of the characters in RE seem to be asexual, with the exception of Leon. And Ada.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I remember Vanille calls Fang her "partner" at one point. It's pretty funny how obvious it is.

Chris and Piers in RE6 have so much sexual tension it's unreal.

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about Chris and Piers makes me wanna overcome my fear of zombies and give RE6 a shot.

As for my contribution, I'd say Miklotov and Camus from Suikoden 2. Poor localization aside, I truly thought they had a romantic connection when I first played it (and every subsequent play-through after). The scene where Miklotov throws his emblem down and quits his pledge of service, only to have Camus come in and (I feel kinda protectively) say Miklotov just needs some time to cool down. But then he's pressed to put Miklotov in jail. Camus was like hmmm no, I quit too. And then you have Mikotov say "Camus..." Ugh, it's a sweet scene. And post game - specifically Suikogaiden vol. 2 - they're traversing the Grasslands together to recruit more knights. I'd call that a date. Or fanfiction I've read has called it a date. One of us has called it a date, that much I know.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
(I think there was some interview with Takumi where he said something like "I wrote Phoenix and Edgeworth as a deep male friendship but... people seem to have taken it a different way" lmao)
I got a bit of this vibe in the first two games, but later then you control him... yeah I could totally see it after that.
Velvet and Eleanor in Tales of Berseria, there's even a kind of confession scene in Titania.
Eleanor was tsundere as hell around Velvet but... eh... I'm not feeling this one. Velvet seemingly not giving a crap about her sexuality or outward appearance was one thing I liked about the game when it could have been obscenely easy to abuse.
A propos of Danganronpa characters, is Kokichi Ouma canonically gay? Or have they left that open to interpretation based on his lines?
Though I considered this for awhile, I think he was just psychotic and wanted to fuck with people's brains. Then there's his love hotel scene which is... memorable, though I consider those there to amuse the player more than be straight-up canon character traits. He's probably not entirely straight, or at minimum a little confused about his orientation.

Dec 20, 2017
He's only 500% gay on Blue Lions - BL route staying true to its name.
EDIT: Might have to explain for people that didn't play Three Houses - his ending changes drastically on the other campaigns, due to the choices the player makes. Blue Lion's ending sees him live out his life very differently.

YCZQzbf.jpg

Last line:
"It is said that, in their later years, they became so close that they passed away on the same day, as if conceding that one could not live without the other."

This refers to the theme of their support line, where Sylvain reminds Felix of how attached he used to be to him as a kid and how they swore to never be apart from each other.

Yes. They are gay for each other.

The ending with Dimitri also agrees, having a line about how he really felt about him, apparently unrequited though.
"After his coronation, Dimitri assumed the throne of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus and spent his life ruling justly over Fódlan. At his side every step of the way was his right-hand adviser, Duke Felix Fraldarius. Their lifelong bond grew so strong over time that, when Dimitri finally passed, it is said that Felix's grief was more potent even than the queen's. The stories of their lives were passed down to future generations as chivalric tales that rivaled those of Loog, the King of Lions, and his sworn friend, Kyphon."

I've heard that Felix x Sylvain is slightly more obvious in the Japanese version- their childhood promise to die together is apparently phrased to sound more like a marriage promise.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
"But theres no proof either way!!! I, a straight man, can totally read this character better than a decade of gays can!"

True, True. But let's no pretend that gay people don't do the very normal human thing where you project your personality/character onto fictional characters.

That being said, Chris is def gay.

Also, Hanzo.