• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Charlie Hebdo was always a shity magazine with very poor taste and the most ham fisted humor, let's not forget that.
Just because they were victims of heinous fanatics it doesn't mean they were ever funny, ingenious or tasteful.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
Is it really a "joke" though? Seems like they're bringing attention to the racism of the royals to me?

Magni

Edit: 👆 wait what? How did you end up with that take?

To be more explicit, the full translation reads:

"Why Meghan left Buckingham"
"Because I couldn't breathe anymore"

It's not really my type of humor, but I never got people getting up in arms (in some sad cases, literally) about drawings.

They're calling out the Queen as being the same as Chauvin, there's worse things to get upset about in the world IMO.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
They literally have been attacked by terrorists cause of their shitty satires in the past so I don't expect them to change.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
To be more explicit, the full translation reads:

"Why Meghan left Buckingham"
"Because I couldn't breathe anymore"

It's not really my type of humor, but I never got people getting up in arms (in some sad cases, literally) about drawings.

They're calling out the Queen as being the same as Chauvin, there's worse things to get upset about in the world IMO.

No they aren't.

They're mocking Markle by pretending she's associating her experiences of racism with what happened to Floyd.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Is it really a "joke" though? Seems like they're bringing attention to the racism of the royals to me?

Its a rough comparison; one is the lethal byproduct of an ongoing civil rights issue affecting millions, the other is still ultimately a gossip story (not to say her story isn't valid or needed to be out there considering the royals responsibility in white supremacy, but its not teenagers getting murdered and we only care because of 'status' of an archaic view on monarchy)

Magni

No they aren't.

They're mocking Markle by pretending she's associating her experiences of racism with what happened to Floyd.

I'm not seeing it. Here's some commentary they had earlier this week:

Conseil d'ami
Meghan Markle accuse la famille royale de « colporter des mensonges ». Fais gaffe à ton cul, Meghan, ça sent le pont de l'Alma.

Which translates to:
Friendly advice
Meghan Markle accuses the royal family of "peddling lies." Watch your ass Meghan, it smells like the Alma bridge [the tunnel where Diana died].

It's very crude in typical Charlie fashion, but it's much more anti-royals than it is anti-Meghan. Charlie is very much on the left side of the spectrum in France (not that there isn't any racism on that side, but there is much more republicanism/antimonarchism).

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I don't much care what the intention of the cartoon is, it's in extremely poor taste either way.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing it. Here's some commentary they had earlier this week:

Which translates to:
Friendly advice
Meghan Markle accuses the royal family of "peddling lies." Watch your ass Meghan, it smells like the Alma bridge [the tunnel where Diana died].

It's very crude in typical Charlie fashion, but it's much more anti-royals than it is anti-Meghan. Charlie is very much on the left side of the spectrum in France (not that there isn't any racism on that side, but there is much more republicanism/antimonarchism).

It's not pro royal family but they're using George Floyd as a counterpoint.

That Markle is a rich girl who doesn't experience real racism.

It's the kind of racism that pops up from time to time in left wing class politics.

Like I don't for a minute believe they ate sympathetic to Meghan at all.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It's edgy and in poor taste but this looks like a mockery of the royals, no?
Though I don't get the joke or really what's supposed to be funny or smart about this.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
No they aren't.

That interpretation really doesn't make any sense to me looking at the cover. It would only make sense if, on the cover, Markle wouldn't actually be treated badly or hurt and THEN she would be saying that. The cover only attacks the Queen and the royal family, satirizing their behaviour by drawing comparisons to probably the most well-known incident of racism in the current media landscape.

Your interpretation opens up another layer were the cover is actually saying "This is what Marke THINKS is happening to her". But that's not coming from the cover, that's an accusation coming from you that isn't really rooted in what the cover itself is portraying.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That interpretation really doesn't make any sense to me looking at the cover. It would only make sense if, on the cover, Markle wouldn't actually be treated badly or hurt and THEN she would be saying that. The cover only attacks the Queen and the royal family, satirizing their behaviour by drawing comparisons to probably the most well-known incident of racism in the current media landscape.

Your interpretation opens up another layer were the cover is actually saying "This is what Marke THINKS is happening to her". But that's not coming from the cover, that's an accusation coming from you that isn't really rooted in what the cover itself is portraying.

I would even argue that your line of argumentation doesn't make much sense since the cover can't say both the things you say it's saying at the same time. Either it makes fun of the royals for being racists or it makes fun of Markle for claiming that they are racists. Both are mutually exclusive.
Yup

Magni

It's the kind of racism that pops up from time to time in left wing class politics.

You're obviously entitled to your own opinion, but I think you're vastly overthinking this. You're not French, are you?

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
User banned (3 months): dismissing concerns around racist imagery, prior ban for misogyny
How do you people even function day to day if you what you get from this cover is a racist attack on megan.
Seriously. it's like the complete opposite.
I get that you don't care about context or anything really as long as you can get offended, but jesus christ take a step back.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I really disagree.

You often here the turn of phrase It's suffocating referring to social situations that aren't enjoyable.

In fact Markle said it herself

Meghan, 39, made the disclosures in an eagerly anticipated, at times incendiary, interview on CBS with Oprah Winfrey that aired in the United States in prime time. In describing a royal life that began as a fairy tale but quickly turned suffocating and cruel, Meghan's blunt answers raised the combustible issues of race and privilege in the most rarefied echelon of British society.

www.telegraphindia.com

Royal life suffocating, was contemplating suicide, reveals Meghan Markle in Oprah show

'Efforts to seek medical help rebuffed by palace officials, questions raised over child's skin colour'
That's where mockery via juxtaposition

It's this is what real suffocating looks like Meghan.

It's mocking her for being privileged.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno what to tell you it comes off as mocking her for talking about racism feeling suffocated when she's so rich and privileged unlike George Floyd who was actually suffocated

But I'm willing to be wrong

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK

I'm sorry, but your reading of this is a tremendous stretch. It's poor taste and lazy, that much I agree with, but the Queen is depicted as someone choking the life out of her victim...a murderer. She even has glowing red eyes.
There's nothing there at all that's mocking Meghan Markle for being a rich girl with no problems, that's shit that you're projecting on there. If she had dollar signs in her eyes or something, then maybe. If she had Harry on a leash or something, then possibly you could read it as critical of her. As it is, she's portrayed purely as a victim of Royal oppression in the clumsiest, most ham-fisted and tasteless way possible. If there's an article inside that paints her that way, then fair enough, I apologise, but just based on that image...you're reaching.

Dec 12, 2017
How do you people even function day to day if you what you get from this cover is a racist attack on megan.
I get that you don't care about context or anything really as long as you can get offended, but jesus christ take a step back.
I mean this is a crass way of putting it. But seriously did the OP even think about this cover?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I really disagree.

You often here the turn of phrase It's suffocating referring to social situations that aren't enjoyable.

In fact Markle said it herself

www.telegraphindia.com

Royal life suffocating, was contemplating suicide, reveals Meghan Markle in Oprah show

'Efforts to seek medical help rebuffed by palace officials, questions raised over child's skin colour'
That's where mockery via juxtaposition

It's this is what real suffocating looks like Meghan.

It's mocking her for being privileged.

But, again, that is not what the cover is portraying. For the cover to say what you are saying, there is an entire layer missing of Markle sitting somewhere, drinking tea, being mildly inconvenienced and imagining that this is what's happening to her. You just kind of have to assume that the cover isn't portraying what it is portraying and instead has some sinister other meaning that it's just too afraid to spell out (which, well... it's Charlie Hebdo, they aren't really in the business of being afraid of spelling things out).

I get where you are coming from but I feel like your criticism really isn't rooted in the actual cover but your fears of the editorial team ACTUALLY meaning something other than what the cover is portraying.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno what to tell you it comes off as mocking her for talking about racism feeling suffocated when she's so rich and privileged unlike George Floyd who was actually suffocated

But I'm willing to be wrong
You could also argue that it's the opposite and CH are highlighting how the Royals' treatment of Markle is just another form of institutionalized racism, much like what George Floyd suffered.

Maximus2560

Banned
Sep 28, 2020
For anyone saying this is trash/garbage whatever.....Read this thread and recognize the different interpretations and opinions as a job well done for Charlie Hebdo......
I respect the craft, art and discussions Charlie Hebdo creates!

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but your reading of this is a tremendous stretch. It's poor taste and lazy, that much I agree with, but the Queen is depicted as someone choking the life out of her victim...a murderer. She even has glowing red eyes.
There's nothing there at all that's mocking Meghan Markle for being a rich girl with no problems, that's shit that you're projecting on there. If she had dollar signs in her eyes or something, then maybe. If she had Harry on a leash or something, then possibly you could read it as critical of her. As it is, she's portrayed purely as a victim of Royal oppression in the clumsiest, most ham-fisted and tasteless way possible. If there's an article inside that paints her that way, then fair enough, I apologise, but just based on that image...you're reaching.

To me it's how you'd draw a cartoon if you wanted to mock Meghan for claiming she's a victim.

It comes across as them acting like Meghan is putting herself in the same category of victim as George Floyd.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me it's how you'd draw a cartoon if you wanted to mock Meghan for claiming she's a victim.

It comes across as them acting like Meghan is putting herself in the same category of victim as George Floyd.
Looks like she's being portrayed as the victim of racism. It's clumsy, cheap and distasteful (par for the course), but it's not mocking her as far as I can tell.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone saying this is trash/garbage whatever.....Read this thread and recognize the different interpretations and opinions as a job well done for Charlie Hebdo......
I respect the craft, art and discussions Charlie Hebdo creates!

Wait you realize this type of confusion about message and target (and I'm not the only one who sees it the way I see it btw) is like absolutely bad satire right

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
This where I stand. I think the cover is certainly in poor taste, but the OP is coming off as looking to be offended.

To me, the only ones being made fun of are the royals in this instance. (The white ones)

Dec 12, 2017

To you maybe? But I think you're way off. There is nothing in Meghan's depiction that's trivializing. If it had a Gucci bag, or pound signs around her that's different. But it didn't.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
I mean the Queen is literally drawn as the villain from Roger Rabbit. It's clearly a critic on the Royals.
Charlie Hebdo has never been subtle and you can say this is really in poor taste, but it's in no way an attack on Meghan. And I really don't see why comparing her situation to George Floyd (which is pretty clumsy) is in anyway trivialising it, considering the horrible way Floyd died.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
As a native french speaker, it seems like the royals are the only ones painted in a negative light.

The joke is still in poor taste imo but they arent criticizing Markle here.

Magni

Here's the animated version from their YouTube channel. The focus is all on the Queen. Charlie definitely has a bit of that "eat the rich" mentality v would go over very well with a significant chunk of this forum, but I don't think it's coming into play with this particular cartoon.

The non-French speaking world was introduced to their work with the Mohammed cartoons, leading many to falsely assume that they were right wing racists or something like that. They're left wing provocateurs. Their name comes from them joking about Charles de Gaulle (the patron saint of the French right)'s death.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
But, again, that is not what the cover is portraying. For the cover to say what you are saying, there is an entire layer missing of Markle sitting somewhere, drinking tea, being mildly inconvenienced and imagining that this is what's happening to her. You just kind of have to assume that the cover isn't portraying what it is portraying and instead has some sinister other meaning that it's just too afraid to spell out (which, well... it's Charlie Hebdo, they aren't really in the business of being afraid of spelling things out).

I get where you are coming from but I feel like your criticism really isn't rooted in the actual cover but your fears of the editorial team ACTUALLY meaning something other than what the cover is portraying.

It's rooted in if someone asked me to picture what a reduction to absurdity comic mocking Markle' POV regarding her experiences of racism... this is exactly what I'd envision.

I've seen this countless times where people who talk about racism are compared to more serious experiences of racism in order to mock their claims.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong... but I just don't find it a coincidence that she claimed Royal Life, a privileged life class wise, was suffocating, and now here she is having her words and face being used in a depiction of George Floyd who actually was suffocated